Ky Thomas struggles in Kansas debut: Week 1 transfer update

If Cam could have broken a tackle, or if he had good balance, or if he had good vision to find the whole, or if he had patience like Evan Hull, then he'd still have a chance to be a Gopher, but his runs were notoriously bad for anyone who wants to be an major college running back.

If Cam could have broken a tackle, or if he had good balance, or if he had good vision to find the whole, or if he had patience like Evan Hull, then he'd still have a chance to be a Gopher, but his runs were notoriously bad for anyone who wants to be an major college running back.
Looked very good coming out of HS. He barely had any carries at the U, so hard to say. We'll have to see how his year progresses.

No chance, he ran too uptight and didn’t hit the hole quick enough. Never would have played here.

He still only averaged 4 yards per carry against a mediocre FCS program last week. I'm going to guess we see the overmatched Gopher version of Cam against Michigan St and Tennessee the next two weeks.

He still only averaged 4 yards per carry against a mediocre FCS program last week. I'm going to guess we see the overmatched Gopher version of Cam against Michigan St and Tennessee the next two weeks.
Gophers should have moved him to WR or safety.

Oh come on, he wasn’t that bad. He had a decent ypc with the gophers, plus a 60+ yard td run. He probably would’ve never started here, but he wasn’t a bad depth piece. He only had like 30 carries here. He had every chance to still be a gopher, it’s not like he was cut.

Oh come on, he wasn’t that bad. He had a decent ypc with the gophers, plus a 60+ yard td run. He probably would’ve never started here, but he wasn’t a bad depth piece. He only had like 30 carries here. He had every chance to still be a gopher, it’s not like he was cut.

He had one nice run of 61 yards against Nebraska in 2020. If you take away that one run, he had 45 carries for 154 yards over 3 seasons. An average of 3.4 ypc, which is not good. He's not a B1G caliber RB and he quit on his team in the middle of the season. He was bad.

He had one nice run of 61 yards against Nebraska in 2020. If you take away that one run, he had 45 carries for 154 yards over 3 seasons. An average of 3.4 ypc, which is not good. He's not a B1G caliber RB and he quit on his team in the middle of the season. He was bad.
Why would you take away his long run? Bad rbs don’t rip off 61 yard runs. He was mediocre, but not bad.

Why would you take away his long run? Bad rbs don’t rip off 61 yard runs. He was mediocre, but not bad.

Because that one run significantly skews his stats. He averaged 0.7 ypc on 6 carries last season, and 2.9 ypc on 11 carries in 2019. Mo, Potts, Williams, Irving, and Thomas all averaged 4.9+ ypc last season without a run that long. Even LeCaptain averaged 10.3 ypc on only 3 carries.

Wiley had his chances but he proved he was the worst RB on the roster. He's not mediocre, he's bad, and that's why he's now playing for a terrible MAC program.

No chance, he ran too uptight and didn’t hit the hole quick enough. Never would have played here.
Seriously. Cam is an impressive looking athlete but he showed nothing to make us think he was a B1G running back. Way too upright with the running style and too stiff in the hips.

When the staff decided we should feature him as a wrinkle early in the 2019 game at Kinnick...lets just say that was an interesting decision.

Good grief.

Because that one run significantly skews his stats. He averaged 0.7 ypc on 6 carries last season, and 2.9 ypc on 11 carries in 2019. Mo, Potts, Williams, Irving, and Thomas all averaged 4.9+ ypc last season without a run that long. Even LeCaptain averaged 10.3 ypc on only 3 carries.

Wiley had his chances but he proved he was the worst RB on the roster. He's not mediocre, he's bad, and that's why he's now playing for a terrible MAC program.
He made a big play and gets credit for it, of course he looks worse if you take it away from an already small sample size. I think he is starting for Akron because he found himself behind three good backs and one great back. I guess we define mediocre and bad differently. His stats measure up to Bryce Williams’ with far less opportunities, but people tend to think way higher of Bryce.

He made a big play and gets credit for it, of course he looks worse if you take it away from an already small sample size. I think he is starting for Akron because he found himself behind three good backs and one great back. I guess we define mediocre and bad differently. His stats measure up to Bryce Williams’ with far less opportunities, but people tend to think way higher of Bryce.
Can you post the actual comparison of Cam and Williams?

Bryce still put up better numbers without a long TD skewing them, and contributed a ton as a true freshman. He also didn't quit on the team when he was passed on the depth chart, including when he was wrongly passed by Wiley.

Bryce still put up better numbers without a long TD skewing them, and contributed a ton as a true freshman. He also didn't quit on the team when he was passed on the depth chart, including when he was wrongly passed by Wiley.
Didn't he have a 50 yard TD to ice the Nebraska game?

Bryce was not good through three seasons. He had poor vision evidenced by picking the wrong hole and or relying on his speed defaulting to bouncing the ball outside. He had a better year last year and has routinely been relied on in pass pro.

Through the first three years they had similar ypc, 4.5 to 4.6 but as you mentioned Wiley had a small sample size with a large outlier.

That is assuming he wanted to change positions.
To that point if he couldn't learn the fundamentals of the running back position why would we expect him to be able to learn route running or diagnose an offense

Top Bottom