Ky Thomas enters the transfer portal again

They have a pretty good rb room. They had a good young returning starter, so it was an odd choice to go there if he was looking for play time.
IIRC was a rumor among Kansas State fans that Ky wanted to go there but the rumor was PJ caught wind of some contact before Ky went to the portal and somehow nixed that possibility.

It seemed a bit far fetched to me but maybe Kansas wasn’t his first choice?

Probably starts at New Mexico St and they do run the ball. :)

MN has a portal pipeline to Kansas and Rutgers. Kansas is used up so Rutgers is probably next.

Part of the reason ky left is because Potts was and still is better. Williams is also our best back in pass pro so he has a role on passing downs. Ky quit on us once already there's no coming back from that.
He didn’t quit on us and Potts is absolutely not better. He may have been before the injury, but Potts in 2022 was significantly worse than Ky Thomas.

Part of the reason ky left is because Potts was and still is better. Williams is also our best back in pass pro so he has a role on passing downs. Ky quit on us once already there's no coming back from that.
Potts is not better than Ky. He may have been pre injury but he isn't anymore.

If you think Potts is better than Thomas, it is absolutely not common sense.
Respectfully, it absolutely is common sense that Trey is better than Ty, from a statistical standpoint alone. Sure, Trey didn't do much outside of the first handful of games this season and he looks like he lost a step, but he put up better numbers. Last year Trey's and Ky's TD numbers were identical while Thomas had 50 more rushes due to Trey's injury.

Thomas was the fourth (sixth if you include qbs) best running back on a 6-7 Kansas team this year. If Thomas was a phenom like Bucky Irving he'd have the stats to show it. I'd take Potts over Thomas any day. Plus, we have a stable of good backs coming up who have stayed patient and remained here.

This kid's been through more portals than the Terminator.

Last edited:

It sets a bad precedence to take him back at this point. You tell everyone on the team that they can leave to try out a year somewhere else and we will take you back if it doesn't work out. I can see a college coach saying -- "If you leave in the portal you are not coming back."

With that said, I liked Ky Thomas when he was here and I think if he had stayed here and been injury free, he would be our #1 back going in to next year. It was an extremely bad move for him to transfer out of what would have been a golden situation We have a tremendous opportunity for the incoming backs to step in fairly quickly and my guess is if PJ Fleck was concerned about the RB's he could have brought in a number of transfers had he wanted to go that route. But he didn't so I think he is happy with what we have. He certainly knows a lot more about them than we do!!

I wouldn’t say he totally quit on us. If I remember right, he was player of the game in our bowl game.

Yeah, he also handled it the right way. He finished out the year (helped us win a bowl game).

I'm not saying we should bring him back, but if our reasoning is bitterness over him leaving, we need to get over that. If we think he can help us, I hope PJ brings him back

If you think Potts is better than Thomas, it is absolutely not common sense.
Damn I thought you were smart Bob lol

Pots is 100 percent better than Ky. KY didn't do dick at an inferior Kansas program he was what 5th string there. Potts was the bell cow or KY and bucky pre injury and he will prove it again next year when he gets more carries. Dude was leading the big ten in rushing pre injury. KY will be at an FCS program next fall or at best a mediocre G5

What did PJ say the other week? “People think the grass is greener somewhere else, but do you know what is most green? Weeds.” I don’t know if I got the quote right but Ky is just another example of someone who failed in the transfer portal. For every Bucky Irving, there seems to be 10 Ky Thomas’.
Fleck really is distasteful towards guys who transfer out!

Wouldn't even say Dixon's name in the first presser after.

K State might not be an ideal situation. They have Deuce Vaughn who is a JR and they had a really good FR backup. Vaughn might go pro but still. It is possible he ends up there but it's kind of crowded there too.

I wouldn't be shocked if he is/will be a grad transfer. He enrolled early at the U, so he'll be 3.5 years in after this year.

If he has immediate eligibility, I don't think it's outside the realm of possibilities he'd be interested in returning back.
Plus I think guys take summer school every year? But that might also be so they can take a reduced credit load in the fall?

I don’t think there is any interest in bringing him back. We never appeared to be interested in bringing in a transfer rb. Also not sure it’s a great locker room move.
I would hope the guys in the locker room aren't bitter towards their former teammates who left to find more playing time elsewhere?

Pots is 100 percent better than Ky. KY didn't do dick at an inferior Kansas program he was what 5th string there. Potts was the bell cow or KY and bucky pre injury and he will prove it again next year when he gets more carries. Dude was leading the big ten in rushing pre injury. KY will be at an FCS program next fall or at best a mediocre G5
I hope Potts gets back to that form, but in games that mattered he didn't do much this year.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/treyson-potts-1/gamelog/2022/

Respectfully, it absolutely is common sense that Trey is better than Ty, from a statistical standpoint alone. Sure, Trey didn't do much outside of the first handful of games this season and he looks like he lost a step, but he put up better numbers. Last year Trey's and Ky's TD numbers were identical while Thomas had 50 more rushes due to Trey's injury.

Thomas was the fourth (sixth if you include qbs) best running back on a 6-7 Kansas team this year. If Thomas was a phenom like Bucky Irving he'd have the stats to show it. I'd take Potts over Thomas any day. Plus, we have a stable of good backs coming up who have stayed patient and remained here.
Quote stats all you like, I would rather have Ky than Potts. Potts has lost more than a step and no longer looks like he is a starter. He also looks like he has no confidence when he runs.

I would trust giving 20 carries to Ky more than I would Potts. I dont need the rb to be a phenom I need them to be consistent and Potts is just not that. He was when we had an all world line and he had yet to be injured but now, he looks pedestrian.

It sets a bad precedence to take him back at this point. You tell everyone on the team that they can leave to try out a year somewhere else and we will take you back if it doesn't work out. I can see a college coach saying -- "If you leave in the portal you are not coming back."

With that said, I liked Ky Thomas when he was here and I think if he had stayed here and been injury free, he would be our #1 back going in to next year. It was an extremely bad move for him to transfer out of what would have been a golden situation We have a tremendous opportunity for the incoming backs to step in fairly quickly and my guess is if PJ Fleck was concerned about the RB's he could have brought in a number of transfers had he wanted to go that route. But he didn't so I think he is happy with what we have. He certainly knows a lot more about them than we do!!
It worked for the basketball team...just saying.

Potts may have been the bell cow last season, he did dick this season (to use your vernacular) and he has shown no ability since coming from injury to be anything more than a spot rb.

Potts may have been the bell cow last season, he did dick this season (to use your vernacular) and he has shown no ability since coming from injury to be anything more than a spot rb.
some injuries take longer than a year to recover from.

Damn I thought you were smart Bob lol
Law school is easy and I'm not being self-deprecating. Every single engineer you meet had a tougher courses in college :).

I still think Ky Thomas is better than Potts.

If that's what it is ... then why play at all this year?
I was referring to mentally being able to be back to pre-injury form - good gosh, he had an internal injury from my understanding. Needed to get back on the field to start building the confidence that he can take some hits and trust his body again - some players might not have even come back from that to step on the field. I think we need to have more patience an understanding.

Law school is easy and I'm not being self-deprecating. Every single engineer you meet had a tougher courses in college :).
As an IT (now College of Science and Engineering) grad who has several friends that are lawyers, I will agree with that statement. 🙂 Doesn't mean they aren't smart though just because they had easier classes.

Top Bottom