KSTP: Chatting w/ P.J. Fleck's agent Bryan Harlan

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per KSTP:

KSTP Sports caught up with P.J. Fleck's agent Bryan Harlan in Chicago before the Gophers game against Northwestern.

Harlan confirmed Fleck had several suitors beginning to lineup ahead of the University of Minnesota's decision to present Fleck a new seven-year contract extension in early November.

Headhunting firms and administrators had inquired with Harlan about potential head coaching openings including a high-profile vacancy at . Florida State.

Harlan's father is longtime Green Bay Packers executive Bob Harlan. His brother is renowned play-by-play man and former TV voice of the Timberwolves Kevin Harlan.

Go Gophers!!

Thanks Bleed!

Indeed, P. J. Fleck wants to stay in Minnesota long term. He and Heather love it here. P.J. Fleck is genuine, the real McCoy.

Mark Coyle is a key part of him staying here bringing total commitment by the U to big time football!

It is unreal in our lifetime what we are seeing - the transformation of the GOphers Football and the entire Athletics Department to boot. IMHO, we landed a head coach of legendary multi-talent so unique there will never be anyone else like him.

Not everybody likes his gimmicks, but not for long if he wins national championships which is entirely possible.

Like Carter Coughlin has said about the Empire Class which by the way has started this long before P.J. Fleck arrived, The U is going to be an Empire of The North.

P. J. Fleck is a motivator bar none.

I can almost hear his pregame speech: "Men, this is our time! We shall not be denied!" Everyone within earshot will be ready to run into brick walls for the guy.

Last edited:

Thanks Bleed!

Indeed, P. J. Fleck wants to stay in Minnesota long term. He and Heather love it here. P.J. Fleck is genuine, the real McCoy.

Mark Coyle is a key part of him staying here bringing total commitment by the U to big time football!

It is unreal in our lifetime what we are seeing - the transformation of the GOphers Football and the entire Athletics Department to boot. IMHO, we landed a head coach of legendary multi-talent so unique there will never be anyone else like him.

Not everybody likes his gimmicks, but not for long if he wins national championships which is entirely possible.

Like Carter Coughlin has said about the Empire Class which by the way has started this long before P.J. Fleck arrived, The U is going to be an Empire of The North.

I can almost hear his pregame speech: "Men, this is our time! We shall not be denied!" Everyone within earshot will be ready to run into brick walls for the guy.

Awesome stuff !

Sorry if already posted. This is crazy exciting! If Minnesota and the U commits, we have a national powerhouse coming! Absolutely Amazing! Go Gophers! Go Coach Fleck! Embrace the man and his family! He and Matt Rhule of Baylor are the top 2 young coaches in America!

Not sure if anybody could do what Fleck is doing here at Minnesota. Could Saban do it? If he could he wouldn’t stay. All hail to Mark Coyle! All hail to President Kaler for hiring Coyle! BOY we’re the haters as wrong as anyone’s ever been.

ROW!

Wow, I have heard anybody consider Minnesota to be a great college football town. IMO, this Gopher run has opened plenty of peoples eyes.

This has been an amazing season. Fleck is clearly an amazing coach.

However, until he can sign double-digit 4* players and multiple 5* players to come to Mpls, we are not national title contenders.

Clemson has --- ***SIX*** --- 5* commits for 2020. Including the #1 player in the nation (a DL from Maryland). That is disgusting.

However, until he can sign double-digit 4* players and multiple 5* players to come to Mpls, we are not national title contenders.

Clemson has --- ***SIX*** --- 5* commits for 2020. Including the #1 player in the nation (a DL from Maryland). That is disgusting.

Rome wasn’t built in a day.

First focus on catching up with Wisconsin and passing the rest of the B1G West recruiting classes. That is achievable in the next two years.

Then work to exceed Wisconsin and catch up with Mich & Penn St. Should be a 3-5 year goal.
then we will see where it goes after that.

I would beg to differ as star ratings really don’t mean much. Take a look at Penn State vs Gophers roster for this years game. On paper Penn State should’ve whipped us but they didn’t because there is something that doesn’t show up on paper and that’s heart and the ability to get the most out of your players. So no 4-5 star players don’t win nation championships.

Dabo Swinney's recruiting classes (247 Sports) starting in his first full year of recruiting:
2009 #39
2010 #27
2011 #10
2012 #20
2013 #15
2014 #16
2015 #9
2016 #11
2017 #16
2018 #7
2019 #10

Clemson had a higher starting point, but it still took a few years to get traction. It makes one wonder how much the recruiting rankings are influenced by the teams showing interest in the kids, and not necessarily talent alone.

Umm we are national title contenders atm. We may not be favored, but we are in the conversation.

Umm we are national title contenders atm. We may not be favored, but we are in the conversation.
Semantics arguments are my least favorite, so suffice to say that I disagree until/unless we beat Ohio State.

It’s not as easy when you’re not paying the players and not only do they have to actually go to class, but they have to earn their grades. If you question this, you don’t have the first idea about football in the south.

I would beg to differ as star ratings really don’t mean much. Take a look at Penn State vs Gophers roster for this years game. On paper Penn State should’ve whipped us but they didn’t because there is something that doesn’t show up on paper and that’s heart and the ability to get the most out of your players. So no 4-5 star players don’t win nation championships.

The Gophers, a team with five 4-Stars beat a Penn State team that has four 5-Stars and forty-six 4-Stars. How remarkable is that? That points to coaching and a head coach who is a great teacher/motivator of both players and assistant coaches.

The Gophers, a team with five 4-Stars beat a Penn State team that has four 5-Stars and forty-six 4-Stars. How remarkable is that? That points to coaching and a head coach who is a great teacher/motivator of both players and assistant coaches.

It's also an indication the recruit rankings are flawed. The Gophs looked to have better players at WR, QB, DB and RB at a minimum.

Somewhere it was mentioned that PJ Fleck and staff have a great eye for hidden and undeveloped talent and believes in in person evaluations more so than star ratings. He develops a relationship early. Rashod Bateman is a prime example. He recruits the right kids that fits his system. I heard that he doesn't waste his time on kids who don't want to be a Gopher. That includes local kids. He'll pluck even better kids from elsewhere.

I still can't believe that he plucked Zach Annexstad, Curtis Dunlop, and Daniel Fa'alele right out of IMG Academy.

We win on Saturday and we are national title contenders.

We win on Saturday and we are national title contenders.
I'd say we will be talked more seriously as playoff contenders but still not title contenders.

Right now we are somewhat in the conversation for a top 4 spot and that talk will intensify if we beat Wisconsin but we still won't be talked about as a team that could actually win the whole thing. We need beat OSU for that to happen.

I'd say we will be talked more seriously as playoff contenders but still not title contenders.

Right now we are somewhat in the conversation for a top 4 spot and that talk will intensify if we beat Wisconsin but we still won't be talked about as a team that could actually win the whole thing. We need beat OSU for that to happen.

How are we not National Title Contenders? If we win all of our games we win the national title....

I haven't heard a single media personality in the country say we are contenders for the national title and are one of the teams that could possibly win it all.

In the conversation for the top 4, yes. In the conversation for the title, no.

How are we not National Title Contenders? If we win all of our games we win the national title....
You could have said the same thing about Rutgers at the beginning of the season. Doesn't mean they were title contenders.

Like I said, I haven't heard a single person in the media in the entire country talk about us as a team that could win it all. We are certainly in the playoff conversation, not the national title conversation, at least not by the local or national media.

Right now I would say OSU, LSU and Clemson are the only teams that are talked about as title contenders while UGA, Bama, Utah, OU, us and Baylor are playoff contenders.

You could have said the same thing about Rutgers at the beginning of the season. Doesn't mean they were title contenders.

Like I said, I haven't heard a single person in the media in the entire country talk about us as a team that could win it all. We are certainly in the playoff conversation, not the national title conversation, at least not by the local or national media.

Right now I would say OSU, LSU and Clemson are the only teams that are talked about as title contenders while UGA, Bama, Utah, OU, us and Baylor are playoff contenders.

Why does it matter what they are talking about? If we win all of the games on our schedule we will win the national title! lollll

Why does it matter what they are talking about? If we win all of the games on our schedule we will win the national title! lollll
You are the one that said we are in the conversation for the national title. I disputed that. I didn't say it did or didn't matter.

The interesting part I got on the interview was agent saying as long as university is committed to winning consistently giving him needed resources

Thanks Bleed!

This post is exactly what is happening and I personally am having a hard time digesting it in my head. It's so exciting and so unbelievable.

I haven't heard a single media personality in the country say we are contenders for the national title and are one of the teams that could possibly win it all.

In the conversation for the top 4, yes. In the conversation for the title, no.
I said contender did I say win? When we beat Wisconsin and Ohio State we are 12-1 with a loss to a top 20 Iowa. We would beat a 4, 12, and 1. We are still in contention.

Contender:
noun
  1. a person or group competing with others to achieve something.

The interesting part I got on the interview was agent saying as long as university is committed to winning consistently giving him needed resources

Confirmed exactly what I expected. All through this there were people here in the fanbase and nationally as well making the assumption that it was all just about money. With Fleck I have never gotten the impression that is the case. He is looking for something bigger.

Coyle and the U have stepped up and as long as they keep showing a desire to support the program I don't see PJ getting lured elsewhere. He wants to build a dynasty and in order to do that you need to be at a place with great resources but also a place without insane expectations. There are not a ton of those jobs out there but Minnesota is one of them.

Fleck recognized a ton of untapped potential here which is why he took the job. As fans we have been conditioned to believe it can't happen here, Fleck and the team are trying hard to prove that it can. Hopefully they go out and complete the mission on Saturday with another convincing win against the Badgers.

Harlan made it clear that Fleck wants to put down roots here, but he also made it clear that the school will need to provide the resources he needs to be successful, going forward. He mentioned that twice in this short interview.

Harlan made it clear that Fleck wants to put down roots here, but he also made it clear that the school will need to provide the resources he needs to be successful, going forward. He mentioned that twice in this short interview.

And that's the way it should be. Would you stay in a job that didn't give you the resources to keep succeeding?

And that's the way it should be. Would you stay in a job that didn't give you the resources to keep succeeding?

Of course not. Will Fleck get everything he needs/wants? That will be the question, going forward.

Top Bottom