Konrad Zagzebski

He puts up big numbers but he may not have the speed that is required for the SEC. He is a + kick returner but may only be a MAC level running back.

I love his name just as much as I love Bronko Nagurski's name. Here's to hoping he creates another legacy like Bronko!

Brewscrew, being in LaCrosse, and LaCrosse being right on the border, how is the city divided fan wise?? Does there seem to be a strong Gopher fan base in the city? Just curious because I see thats where Eggen is from, does he give hints in the newspaper at all?

The local sports coverage sucks when it comes to stories on athletes, all they do is report the scores and some game coverage. I doubt our crappy paper even knows the kid is that good. LaCrosse is probably 90-10 in favor of Becky, but all of my Badger friends see the momentum turning at the 2 schools. Most of them can't stand Beliema and are now hating on Ryan b/c Marquette is getting the best instate BB talent. In a WIPreps interview he said he grew up a Bucky fan but would consider all things when it came down to a college choice. Eggen was at 2 Gophers games last year and that is about all I know.
If the Gophers were able to land either Gjere or Seantrel and 1-2 of these WI kids the OL could quickly become a strong point.

Wisconsin is going to have a small class this year, maybe 16-17 kids. I could really see them only offering two of the 3 lineman with Eggen as a OT and Epping as a DT. Cunningham may be on the outside looking in for Wisconsin(in terms of an offer) only due to a numbers crunch and not talent.

Bronko Zagzebski...Now that has a good ring to it, I think.

UW was recruiting him as a DE and was going to wait till camp to offer him to see how his knee was coming alone.

Looks like Belema doesn't feel the need to wait to see how he heals, Wisconsin has reportedly offered Zagzebski.

So Konrad got his Wisconsin offer. Has anyone heard any rumblings? He sounds like a gopher all the way, but it's pretty interesting that this is Wisconsin's first in-state offer.

Scout Link

It was shocking news to the interviewer also. Not many thought he was going to get an offer, especially this early. The only caution is was that this was second information so we really have no idea what happened until we hear from Konrad himself.

interesting that bulemia offers after he loses one of his recruits from Minnesota today...

He got the offer last weekend at their Junior Day.

Did he attend WI Junior Day? Sounded like after he chose MN that he closed off his recruiting (that doesn't mean he wouldn't attend a Jr day, but its almost like taking a visit after making your committment)? I would be VERY surprised if he switched. I'm not sure anyone on here has posted credible info saying he got the offer??

Did he attend WI Junior Day? Sounded like after he chose MN that he closed off his recruiting (that doesn't mean he wouldn't attend a Jr day, but its almost like taking a visit after making your committment)? I would be VERY surprised if he switched. I'm not sure anyone on here has posted credible info saying he got the offer??

Yes, it appears as if he did attend junior day. The report of the offer comes from a wisconsin article that quotes Zach Epping as saying Konrad was the only wisconsin kid to get an offer a junior day. Let's just hope he sticks with his earlier verbal.

Badger Blitz reported that Zac Epping told them Konrad got an offer at the junior day. However, Konrad could not be reached for comment for the story. So in a court of law it wouldn't be admissible because it is hearsay but I think we'll all agree that it is a reasonable source for information.

On a side note, Epping also told Badger Blitz that he really likes Minnesota and they are his current leader. That could certainly change with a Wiscy offer but it is a good start.

I think what is being missed in all of this is the humor of what is going on at Wisconsin. Bielema has offers out to Henderson, Gjere (that didn't work out), Allen, Okuyemi and I believe Starr from Minnesota and he is said to be offering Edwards this weekend. Meanwhile he slow played all of the top players from Wisconsin (except the one that committed to Minnesota) by telling them he wants them to come to camp and earn a scholarship. To me it sounds like he is saying the Minnesota players are worth scholarships but you're from Wisconsin so you need to prove it to me. However, if you're good enough to commit to another school I'll react by offering you a scholarship. It sounds like open season on Wisconsin recruiting.

You have to offer out of state kids early in order for them to be interested in your program, Brewster does this too. In state kids already have a high interest in the state program so if an offer is given a verbal generally follows. For UW having a class of about 15 they have to sure they are offering the right in state kid.

You have to offer out of state kids early in order for them to be interested in your program, Brewster does this too. In state kids already have a high interest in the state program so if an offer is given a verbal generally follows. For UW having a class of about 15 they have to sure they are offering the right in state kid.

Yeah, but Brewster is smart enough to still offer the top in state kids while offering out of state kids. It's not like Wisconsin doesn't know the top 2-3 players and they can probably get away with slow playing the rest.

Under Mason the border was not fenced off and Wisconsin could come in and take what they wanted. Under Brewster/Bielema the tide is turning the other way.

I know you're going to defend what your team is doing but just watch what happens.

First off, yes I am a Badger fan but I am not a trash talker or goater, I just enjoy good conversation and will not attack people. Just so we have that clear.

I can tell you for certain that most of us are pretty confused why there werent offers made on JR day when there were always ones made in the past. Most thought that Eggen and Epping would get offers. To be honest seeing those two not get offers and Konrad getting one was just as shocking seeing that he is being recruited as a DE and they have taken 7-8 players at those positions in the last 2 years.

BB did the same thing with Tyler Westphal, top player in the state that didnt get an offer from UW until he committed to UVA and subsequently switched his commitment.

First off, yes I am a Badger fan but I am not a trash talker or goater, I just enjoy good conversation and will not attack people. Just so we have that clear.

I can tell you for certain that most of us are pretty confused why there werent offers made on JR day when there were always ones made in the past. Most thought that Eggen and Epping would get offers. To be honest seeing those two not get offers and Konrad getting one was just as shocking seeing that he is being recruited as a DE and they have taken 7-8 players at those positions in the last 2 years.

BB did the same thing with Tyler Westphal, top player in the state that didnt get an offer from UW until he committed to UVA and subsequently switched his commitment.

I wasn't trying to insinuate you were talking trash.

I'll just say from my non-expert opinion that the strategy seems odd. From this side of the river it looks to me like Bielema has confidence that everyone in Wisconsin grows up wanting to be a Badger and that he can offer late and still trump any other offer they have on the table. If he is right, more power to him because then he doesn't have to take chances. However, from the perspective where our border has been open it seems like a questionable strategy because if they didn't grow up watching college football and wanting to be a Badger he just led them in to a rivals hands.

My perception is that the tide is changing on the whole recruiting situation from where it was 5 years ago. Last year you got Dehn which was a low profile target for us (#9 in the final state rankings) and his family is from Wisconsin/attending Madison so considering him a Minnesota recruit isn't totally accurate. Wisconsin got shut out on everybody else that they came after and someone like Ra'Shede probably would have been a Wisconsin recruit 5-10 years ago because he fit the Wisconsin offensive system better than what we were running at the time he committed. I'm not at all worried about Edwards committing to Wisconsin this weekend and I believe there is validity to what Sid wrote because I know his source. If Seantrel Henderson isn't a Gopher he won't end up in Madison, it will be Notre Dame, USC or OSU. If Beau Allen isn't a Gopher I think he'll end up at either Nebraska or Notre Dame although my confidence level in that is lower and he has an outside shot of going to Wisconsin. I don't know much about Okuyemi but I like the Gophers chances and I think Nebraska or UCLA are a bigger threat than Wisconsin. I know the least about Starr and if Wisconsin is going to pull one from Minnesota he seems like the most likely but that comes from very little knowledge of the situation; I'm not even sure if Wiscy or Minn has offered yet.

From an outsiders perspective I think Zook in Illinois and Brewster in Minnesota are having a negative impact on Wisconsin's recruiting. Wisconsin had a pretty good class last year (I think Minn ended up a couple notches higher but they were fairly similar) but I think it is getting harder for Wisconsin because they can't get the regional recruits they used to land. If Bielema leaves a little gap open for Minnesota to come across the border and take top 5 prospects from Wisconsin it could impact the program long-term.

Everything I say has to be taken with a grain of salt because everything is fluid and changes year-to-year but I'm trying to read the tea leaves and I see the balance of power changing. I'd love to hear what you agree with and don't agree with but only time will tell what actually happens.

grunkiejr, I don't know if you are saying this quite the way I will, but I think that the re-emergence of Nebraska is going to have an effect on recruiting for Iowa, Wisconsin, and Minnesota. During their most dominant years, Nebraska always seemed to score fairly well up this way, especially with line prospects.

But I do agree that the change from Alvarez (and Minnesota's change to Brewster) has been a blow to the Badgers. From everything I hear in the high school ranks, Brewster is really working Minnesota high school football very hard. We're still going to lose guys (and some to the Badgers like Dehn and Shaffer among others), but Brewster isn't going to simply surrender the way Mason used to ("Oops. I didn't know Alvarez offered you. I'd hate to offend him, so never mind.).

grunkiejr, I don't know if you are saying this quite the way I will, but I think that the re-emergence of Nebraska is going to have an effect on recruiting for Iowa, Wisconsin, and Minnesota. During their most dominant years, Nebraska always seemed to score fairly well up this way, especially with line prospects.

But I do agree that the change from Alvarez (and Minnesota's change to Brewster) has been a blow to the Badgers. From everything I hear in the high school ranks, Brewster is really working Minnesota high school football very hard. We're still going to lose guys (and some to the Badgers like Dehn and Shaffer among others), but Brewster isn't going to simply surrender the way Mason used to ("Oops. I didn't know Alvarez offered you. I'd hate to offend him, so never mind.).

I would agree with the Nebraska comment but luckily they still haven't taken a prospect from Minnesota since the two from Hutch 5 or 6 years ago. They missed on Hageman last year. They were trying to get Engel as a walk-on but Engel was down to walking on at Minnesota and accepting a scholarship from a lower division and ended up taking the schollie. Now they're coming after a few more this year so it is important to keep that streak going or we risk having them recruit more heavily in Minnesota.

The thing with all three coaches(Bielema, Brewster, Zook) is that this year will be telling for all three. They all need to show improvement upon last year or the their seats are going to start getting really warm. Next year could really have an impact on the recruiting on any of those three schools in terms of their 2011 classes.

The thing with all three coaches(Bielema, Brewster, Zook) is that this year will be telling for all three. They all need to show improvement upon last year or the their seats are going to start getting really warm. Next year could really have an impact on the recruiting on any of those three schools in terms of their 2011 classes.

I don't think Brewster has to worry about losing his job if he doesn't recruit top-40, nor if he doesn't recruit top-50. (But we all know he will.) The only reason Brewster would lose his job is for a major violation or because he doesn't win enough games.

I don't think Brewster has to worry about losing his job if he doesn't recruit top-40, nor if he doesn't recruit top-50. (But we all know he will.) The only reason Brewster would lose his job is for a major violation or because he doesn't win enough games.

Sorry for the confusion I ment that all three of these coaches have to show more improvement on the field, if not then they are going to be on the hot seat and thus that might have an effect on recruiting for that school.

Top Bottom