Kirk Ciarrocca getting some heat

56-26 record with all the advantages PSU has isn't super impressive to me. Will be 5-3 best case scenario this year.

It's very similar to Paterno's winning percentage after Penn St joined the B1G, which was .701. Entering the season Franklin's was better, .708, but the three losses have now dropped him to .683.

Expectations are very high at PSU and every year their recruiting according to the gurus is very good.
So the team's record compared to their recruiting is not the same.
Hoke at MI had the same problem and Frost at NE is also in that boat.
It may well be being recruited at PSU gives a payer an aura that being recruited at MN does not.

Are you being serious? Was Limey actually a good OL coach? Honest question.
Yes, I think Limegrover is a good offensive line coach. With the Gophers he was o-line coach AND offensive coordinator. I think that’s one too many hats and he was much better as an o-line coach than as a coordinator imo. But he did have a couple great game plans for the Gophers. (Versus Iowa was awesome)
Callahan imo is a great o-line coach!
This is presently not a good endorsement ha but he is currently offensive analyst on the coaching staff of Michigan...so Harbaugh thinks he is smart.

For those of you who I am a bigot because I criticized the ND/Clemson officials I would suggest you goggle the ND/Clemson officials. I rest my case.

For those of you who I am a bigot because I criticized the ND/Clemson officials I would suggest you goggle the ND/Clemson officials. I rest my case.
Swim goggles or woodworking goggles?😜

You aren’t a bigot because the officials were good
You are a bigot because you think Catholics can’t be fair to non-Catholics (or are at least willing to imply that)

It's very similar to Paterno's winning percentage after Penn St joined the B1G, which was .701. Entering the season Franklin's was better, .708, but the three losses have now dropped him to .683.
I'm no fan of Paterno either.

Ohio State is also a slightly better program today than they were doing most of Paterno years.

It's weird - we make fun of Nebraska fans for being delusional in thinking that they should compete every single year. Then we make fun of Franklin because he has the third best program in the Big 10.

Expectations are very high at PSU and every year their recruiting according to the gurus is very good.
So the team's record compared to their recruiting is not the same.
Hoke at MI had the same problem and Frost at NE is also in that boat.
It may well be being recruited at PSU gives a payer an aura that being recruited at MN does not.
Hmm. If you look at Pen St recruiting class ranks the last four years and where it finished in the polls, I think they met or exceeded expectations.

Again disagree on how you describe MW. You probably need to look at who made up those conferences at the time.
Are you thinking of the right conference? Even now, the MW and the AAC are widely considered the two top G5. And back then they had Utah and BYU. It wasn't a P5, but it was at least as close to one as the AAC is now.

The MAC has never been close to the MW, even now, but especially then.

Regardless, you still have a fine point. Urban was at Bowling Green for two years, did well there (but didn't win the conf), and then at Utah the following two years, winning the conf both times and ending up ranked #4 in the nation and perfect season the last year.

Yes, I think Limegrover is a good offensive line coach. With the Gophers he was o-line coach AND offensive coordinator. I think that’s one too many hats and he was much better as an o-line coach than as a coordinator imo. But he did have a couple great game plans for the Gophers. (Versus Iowa was awesome)
Callahan imo is a great o-line coach!
This is presently not a good endorsement ha but he is currently offensive analyst on the coaching staff of Michigan...so Harbaugh thinks he is smart.
When I resurfaced that thread about Limey going to UM, Mpls did some digging and found that he was not listed on UM's website nor where there any articles other than the ones in Feb that said he was expected to join the staff. I don't know what happened but it appears like he never joined the staff.

Franklin's 2016, 17, and 19 years were all 11 wins and NY6 bowls. Actually, in 16 they won the division and the conf champ game to go to the CFP.

2018 was a down year, still 9 wins, and looks like this year will be down as well.

I think he's doing just fine. They should've beat IU, just a really fluke scenario. And I'm telling you Maryland could finish second in the East this year.

When I resurfaced that thread about Limey going to UM, Mpls did some digging and found that he was not listed on UM's website nor where there any articles other than the ones in Feb that said he was expected to join the staff. I don't know what happened but it appears like he never joined the staff.
Yeah, still not listed in the football staff or overall directories:
https://mgoblue.com/sports/2017/6/28/sports-m-footbl-coaches.aspx
https://mgoblue.com/sports/2017/6/16/michigan-athletics.aspx

For whatever reason, the deal fell through or Limey had a change of heart.

Are you thinking of the right conference? Even now, the MW and the AAC are widely considered the two top G5. And back then they had Utah and BYU. It wasn't a P5, but it was at least as close to one as the AAC is now.

The MAC has never been close to the MW, even now, but especially then.

Regardless, you still have a fine point. Urban was at Bowling Green for two years, did well there (but didn't win the conf), and then at Utah the following two years, winning the conf both times and ending up ranked #4 in the nation and perfect season the last year.
Go look at the conferences back during that time.

One year ago today at TCF the Gophers, with Kirk Ciarrocca as their OC/QC beat the then #4 ranked #Penn State Nittany Lions 31-26.

Thought it was worth a mention.

Last edited:

Taulia Tagovailoa was 18/26 with 282. 3 TD's, 0 ints yesterday.
As I was saying in the post-game MD thread, I think Taulia was making throws a lot of QB's can't make.

Not sure what happened for Taulia vs NW other than NW has good defense and maybe some first game jitters for Taulia.

I know this thread is about Kirk at PSU but yeah it is really odd to see the difference in Maryland from week 1 where they couldn't score to the next two weeks where their offense looks amazing. And it isn't like Northwestern's defense is crushing people.

Sanford took some heat here in the first few weeks as well, if KC and Penn State go on a winning streak people will stop panicking about the new guy in town.

Go look at the conferences back during that time.
Yep, did. Have you?

The burden is on you to present evidence that supports your claim that the MAC is at the same level as the MW, during Urban's time or PJ's time or since. Hasn't been true in any of those three timeframes, and will continue to not be true.

I never for a moment thought losing KC to PSU would result in this offense taking a step backward. Having watched the Auburn game only reaffirmed my lack of disappointment in losing KC, he didn't want to be here. I can only imagine his thoughts after getting to PSU....Where's Morgan, Bateman, Ibrahaim? Finally I have a tight end I can throw to. LOL.

Kirk Ciarrocca leaving was not about Fleck or the Gophers or going to greener pastures, it was about living into his values -- his family. The year before he was all but gone to West Virginia (or some school in that state) so he could be closer out east, but Fleck convinced him to come back for one more year. Fleck was angry at the timing of the departure (a week before the Auburn game). I have to keep reminding myself that if I was to judge last years offense on the first three games my opinion would be very different that what happened mid stream.

Looks like he is from eastern Pennsylvania and has always coach out East, including at Rutgers with Fleck, until Fleck hired him for WMU and then brought him here.

So the thing Fleck will have to ask himself is: does he think he's good enough to be Urban Meyer?

Right now, Fleck is doing like what Urban did at Utah. Obviously we all know what he was able to do at Florida after that, and then Ohio State.

I'm sure Urban would've gone down as the best coach in Utah history, if he had stayed. And who knows what they would've been able to do. But, he probably isn't the Urban we all know today, without taking those major gigs.

That'll be what the decision is for Fleck, if he gets offered a similar type of opportunity.
I think it's important to note that when Urban Meyer was at Utah it was not in a power 5 conference like it is today. PJ Fleck is in the BIG and for as long as he can stand it, he will not leave Minnesota without making it to the CFP. Too much pride! He may eventually come to the realization that a blue blood program is a must to get to the CFP, I just believe his ego is large and doesn't want to give in to not achieving what he came here to do.

Yep, did. Have you?

The burden is on you to present evidence that supports your claim that the MAC is at the same level as the MW, during Urban's time or PJ's time or since. Hasn't been true in any of those three timeframes, and will continue to not be true.
No it's not. MW was an eight team league formed a few years earlier. MAC had two divisions and 14 teams, including Marshall. Both had comparable ranked teams.

No it's not. MW was an eight team league formed a few years earlier. MAC had two divisions and 14 teams, including Marshall. Both had comparable ranked teams.
Your opinion is your own, and is incorrect.

Utah and BYU >>> the MAC.

A loss to Nebraska hasn't made PSU fans feel better.

PSU has found a good QB in Levis. Their offense came to life in the 2nd qtr, and that gave life to the defense to respond.

They had four chances to tie the game up, but couldn't get it done. At least they were right there.

Once Levis gets some more experience, they're going to be fine.

Won't surprise me in the slightest if Penn State wins the rest of their games this year. Yes, including Iowa. Should be a good matchup next week.

You can't say Franklin is underperforming at Penn State when he basically has the same winning percentage they have had the past 70 years.
What if I think they've always been overrated?

What if I think they've always been overrated?
It’s crazy that if the gophers don’t blow that lead in 2016 the whole trajectory of the Penn state program would be different.

going into that game penn state was
2014 7-6
2015 7-6
2016 2-2 they had lost to Pitt and had lost by 39 to Michigan in week 4. They were down in the second half to Minnesota. Came back and won in OT. Won out and won the big ten. Didn’t go to the playoff due to two losses.

Who knows what happens if they drop to 2-3 but I bet they don’t finish 11-3

A loss to Nebraska hasn't made PSU fans feel better.
True. However many of the posters here are typically more angry than anywhere else that I've looked. Also we appear to have way many trolls on our site than others. That was clearly evident during the Iowa/MN game thread. Not sure why they are allowed to post the negative posts they do.

Top Bottom