Kirk Ciarocca taking OC job at Penn St

This is a big loss IMHO especially since Kirk also worked with the quarterbacks. Think about what this offense did this year with a sophomore QB and no seniors on the offensive line. It's beyond impressive and it's a shame that Kirk's worst conference game by far, will be the last memory we have of him. If there was one coach on the staff I didn't want to lose it was Kirk Ciarocca.

One thing I will be interested to find out next year is if the conservatism in some situations was Ciarocca's call or Fleck's and I, unfortunately, lean towards it being Fleck's. That's got to change if the program is going to breakthrough. Coach Fleck has done a nice job replacing coaches who have left during his tenure at Minnesota, but this will obviously be the most important assistant replacement to date.

Kirk was with PJ for 7 years and stayed despite numerous other opportunities. If you want to speculate about someone not getting along with PJ, Marcus West, Jim Panagos, Jahmile Addae and a few others would be much better rumor options.

It’s normal for people to grow apart over time. It’s not unusual and as PJF repeatedly stated they’re opposites. In my experience that can often (not always) lead to schisms over time which is why many get out of jobs, marriages, friendships....it’s not a dig at PJ. We all know he (and people here) like people pointing out his penchant for certain things....?

It’s normal for people to grow apart over time. It’s not unusual and as PJF repeatedly stated they’re opposites. In my experience that can often (not always) lead to schisms over time which is why many get out of jobs, marriages, friendships....it’s not a dig at PJ. We all know he (and people here) like people pointing out his penchant for certain things....?
He isn’t leaving for Texas or Auburn, which would lend some level of credibility to your theory. He’s moving back to where he grew up and still has family and friends. It looks like this is one of the only jobs he would have left for.

Funny to read the spin like everything will be just fine. KC was the head coach of the offense. PJF relies way too much on coordinators with no system of his own. He’s hired one OC, so there is no way to know he will make a “great” hire.

Hard to see anyone else spinning if you’re spinning things yourself.

Here’s a spin for you... A good Head Coach allows their Coordinators to be the ‘head coach’ of their given area.

This is sign of the program’s progression. Coaches leaving for the “right” reasons, and having talented players that leave eRly for the draft. Accept it, get used to it.

The usual "Don't let the door hit your A$$ on the way out..." GH thread turn for coaches who leave.

Do I really need to remind everyone that KC's offense scored 19 points against Iowa and only 17 points against Wisconsin? You will also recall that we struggled against SDSU and needed overtime to beat a bad FSU team.

I won't sit here and try to persuade you that KC was an average OC, but he was an average OC.

We have had a great year, but the truth is real....the level of competition we faced this year was certainly subpar with the exception of PSU, Iowa and Wisconsin. Great win against PSU, but our offense let us down against both Iowa and Wisconsin when we had opportunities sitting right in front of us to win both those games, especially the Iowa game. That play calling to start the fourth quarter against Wisconsin was atrocious and kept us from getting back in that game.

Fleck will hire a bright and energetic new coordinator that will quickly fade our memories of Kirk, I am certain of it.

What about last year when the Gophers scored 37 and 31 against Wisconsin and Iowa with a younger offense? Maybe Wisconsin and Iowa's defense's were really good this season? They were.

The Gophers also put up 431 yards against Iowa this year, and only punted twice. The players still have to make plays, and TJ did not.

Minnesota's offense has gotten better every year since KC was here, and was one of the most efficient in the country this season. Western Michigan's offense had the same trajectory in his 4 seasons there. KC is far from average, and is one of the best OC's in college football.

What about last year when the Gophers scored 37 and 31 against Wisconsin and Iowa with a younger offense? Maybe Wisconsin and Iowa's defense's were really good this season? They were.

The Gophers also put up 431 yards against Iowa this year, and only punted twice. The players still have to make plays, and TJ did not.

Minnesota's offense has gotten better every year since KC was here, and was one of the most efficient in the country this season. Western Michigan's offense had the same trajectory in his 4 seasons there. KC is far from average, and is one of the best OC's in college football.
I don't recall the specifics, but I do remember a punt return and an interception return against Wisconsin. KC's shoes will be filled just fine

This is true but recognizing the talent and cultivating it may or may not have been Ciarrocca’s work. Some seem better at this than others. Always hard to say who or what gets most credit for success or failure.
True, but most players are going to commit primarily due to the head coach. As for the development, it's hard to know. I guess we'll find out.

Turns out PJ just found out yesterday. I’d say that’s a pretty tough spot to put his team in a week before a bowl game. It certainly could have waited a week. This feels like an FU from Franklin.

Worth noting - I believe Fleck has said that Franklin is one of his closest friends in the coaching community. That makes me tend to believe that the two coaches talked about this before it became public. As a HC, you don't take a coordinator away from a good friend's team without at least giving him a heads-up.

Now, if they didn't talk about it ahead of time, that would be a very different - and interesting - story.

Things just got interesting apparently.....

It’s gotten better every year since Fleck has been here too. The talent level on offense has gone way up.

I think its BS a coach can just up and leave with minimal to zero warning when he has a game left yet..

As far as the repercussions from this. I guess I'm not sure. Big loss is my early stance.

Kirk was a good OC, but a really good HC should be able to effectively replace staff members. Johnny’s and Joe’s over x’s and o’s, Saban replaces them regularly.

Turns out PJ just found out yesterday. I’d say that’s a pretty tough spot to put his team in a week before a bowl game. It certainly could have waited a week. This feels like an FU from Franklin.

Poop rolls downhill, unfortunately.

Penn St had no OC for the Cotton Bowl and clearly Franklin didn’t want to promote someone from within for a NY6 game.

He reached out and got the best OC he could sign on short notice.

Leaving just before bowl game! Why did he leave now? Why doesn't he leave after the game?

What is the problem?

Thanks ray of sunshine. We all suspected, as you brilliantly point out, that something else was going on behind the scenes. Maybe Kirk secretly hated PJ despite coaching with him for 7 years, following him here from Western Michigan, and turning down Auburn and West Virginia the past 2 years. I’m sure the odds are 50:50 about him being a PSU fan as a kid and he just had to get away...
Well, John - I wasn't saying KC hates PJ. Maybe he does, but there are many things between "because I was a PSU fan as a kid" and "hating PJ". I was thinking more along the lines of more money, better chance to win, better program, more confident in the future, thinks Franklin is a better coach, etc. His quote has been thrown at me multiple times now as if that is "proof". Just like how I was savaged on here for not believing KHH's dad's statement on why he left (my favorite was "what more proof do you need"). Ooops, guess I got lucky on that one. My point was, and remains, that when someone says all the "right things" in a press release it is hardly proof of anything. KHH just wanted to be closer to home too :rolleyes:

Leaving just before bowl game! Why did he leave now? Why doesn't he leave after the game?

What is the problem?

I wouldn't want him around for one extra minute as a lame duck coach for a competitor.

As a side note, if I recall correctly, the OC position was slotted for a >$1M salary with the new contract negotiated by Fleck. The Gophs OC position could be in high demand if that budget is retained for the staff.

He isn’t leaving for Texas or Auburn, which would lend some level of credibility to your theory. He’s moving back to where he grew up and still has family and friends. It looks like this is one of the only jobs he would have left for.
A Dream Job on a short list?

Penn St had no OC for the Cotton Bowl and clearly Franklin didn’t want to promote someone from within for a NY6 game.

Wouldn’t someone from within still act as OC for the bowl game for PSU? Can’t I’m imagine KC installing an offense in a week.

You serious? PSU plays Memphis in the Cotton Bowl on Saturday, December 28. There aint a chance in hell KC will have any input on the game plan that kicks off 2 days from now.

This caught PJ off guard, no question in my mind. Franklin and Penn State were clearly impressed by the offensive effort the Gophers gave them. They spoke of it weeks later.

Wouldn’t someone from within still act as OC for the bowl game for PSU? Can’t I’m imagine KC installing an offense in a week.
Yep, good point. I am likely wrong here.

Maybe then, Franklin was worried that if he didn’t get KC wrapped up someone else might grab him?

Yep, good point. I am likely wrong here.

Maybe then, Franklin was worried that if he didn’t get KC wrapped up someone else might grab him?

Despite the happy face Fleck did not seem pleased to me. Maybe he thought the timing was garbage and told KC to take off?

You serious? PSU plays Memphis in the Cotton Bowl on Saturday, December 28. There aint a chance in hell KC will have any input on the game plan that kicks off 2 days from now.

If he is there?

None?

I wonder if they will throw a fade to their short receiver?

If I am PJ and KC delivered this news to me yesterday but also informed that I would still coach the game against Auburn, I would tell KC that maybe its just better for both parties to move on immediately without drawing this out. No reason to have a lame duck coach on the staff , don't need anyone rowing in the wrong direction.

Top Bottom