Kirk Ciarocca a Possibility for the Texas OC job

He never said he wasn’t a good Xs and Os coach
He said he lets his assistant coaches coach

two totally different things.

If it is so clear and public that he said he wasn’t a good Xs and Os coach you’ll easily be able to find one article or video in which he is quoted as saying that
Here we go again. He said it. It’s OK, no believes it is true.

Does he still coach the bowl game? He nearly flew last season for a lateral move so I figured all year this may be our last season with Kirk. Going to another B1G team rubs some salt in the wound.

I’m seeing this reported all over now so it is prolly safe to say “he gone”

Losing coaches - after a very successful season - to lateral positions at other B10 schools isn't a very good look.

I never liked him anyway. We can do better.

Losing coaches - after a very successful season - to lateral positions at other B10 schools isn't a very good look.

This is pretty misleading. Kirk is from that region originally and Penn State is a helmet school and one of the top few programs in the Big Ten.

More money.
Better location (for him).
Better (football) school.
Better HC.

A no-brainer for him, really. Good Luck KC.

Success breeds opportunity. Thanks for your efforts Coach C.

This is why the HC is paid the big bucks. Did a good job recognizing the DC was not working last year and pulled the trigger. We'll get some insights into the coaching culture from who becomes the new OC.

Progress.

Here we go again. He said it. It’s OK, no believes it is true.
Show me where he said it. Pretty simple if true. Not sure why people keep lying about it. If you don’t think it’s true especially don’t know why you’re lying about it.

Pretty difficult to see this as a positive for the Gophers for several reasons:
1. I think KC’s greatest strength is developing QB’s. What does his absence mean for our four in-house QB’s plus the highly rated incoming QB?
2. It is troubling we have such a huge turnover with coaches. KC was with PJ a long time but has flirted with leaving. Other than the Western Michigan guys a lot of guys are here for a very short time.
3. Unless we promote from within we could have a new offense in terms of terminology at the least. Likely it takes time to implement.
4. This will be PJ’s greatest test...how seamlessly is the offensive transition next season. Do we move forward or backward with almost everybody back on offense?
5. Are there signs, tells, hints to all these assistants that when PJ gets an offer he likes he’s movin’ on too?
6. For those who think KC is a head coach candidate...seems pretty doubtful to me. His personality and camera presence is not someone you want front and center imo. Excellent OC, obviously!

This is not an insignificant development.
Not crippling but a difficult challenge to overcome.

Imagine the coaches who recruit at other schools just pointing out that the guy you like at Minnesota probably will be gone soon. I don’t follow the other staffs but we must have less longevity than most.

Pretty difficult to see this as a positive for the Gophers for several reasons:
1. I think KC’s greatest strength is developing QB’s. What does his absence mean for our four in-house QB’s plus the highly rated incoming QB?
2. It is troubling we have such a huge turnover with coaches. KC was with PJ a long time but has flirted with leaving. Other than the Western Michigan guys a lot of guys are here for a very short time.
3. Unless we promote from within we could have a new offense in terms of terminology at the least. Likely it takes time to implement.
4. This will be PJ’s greatest test...how seamlessly is the offensive transition next season. Do we move forward or backward with almost everybody back on offense?
5. Are there signs, tells, hints to all these assistants that when PJ gets an offer he likes he’s movin’ on too?
6. For those who think KC is a head coach candidate...seems pretty doubtful to me. His personality and camera presence is not someone you want front and center imo. Excellent OC, obviously!

This is not an insignificant development.
Not crippling but a difficult challenge to overcome.

Imagine the coaches who recruit at other schools just pointing out that the guy you like at Minnesota probably will be gone soon. I don’t follow the other staffs but we must have less longevity than most.
All good programs have turnover. Assistant pay pools are all over the board and the difference is huge to those coaches and their families. I think pay is the #1 reason guys move around and location/close to home the other reason. KC followed Fleck to Michigan and MN, so he firmly believes in Fleck as a HC. He had chances to leave, but stayed here. Now PSU was a different offer he couldn't pass up.

Fleck has made changes each of the three years here and the program has not missed a beat moving forward. Patterson may not get the job, but was brought in for a reason and IMO is was because Fleck knew KC was not going to stay here forever.

Last edited:

More money.
Better HC.

All of what you say here is true. Really smart of him to not go to West Virginia last year. He probably isn’t in this position even if he has a solid year at WVU

Maxy, you make good points regarding our next OC. It would seem PJ was preparing for this in Patterson. I’m sure he was evaluated closely this season. Maybe he’s the guy and maybe he’s the next Lincoln Riley! Go Gophers!
Just raising points..asking questions. Thanks!

Maxy, you make good points regarding our next OC. It would seem PJ was preparing for this in Patterson. I’m sure he was evaluated closely this season. Maybe he’s the guy and maybe he’s the next Lincoln Riley! Go Gophers!
Just raising points..asking questions. Thanks!
I think your idea about Patterson is perfectly valid, but I think Fleck will "reward" Simon/Callahan with the bowl game play-calling and then evaluate from there.

RIP Pat Freiermuth

I’m going to predict Simon takes over.

It won't be surprising if PJ Fleck rewards loyalty if he deems internal candidates are ready. He himself got a break at a very young age as head coach. On the other hand, some of those coaches who sojourned and earned their way through low paying or voluntary jobs through their coaching journeys may become excellent coaches because they have seen it all.

Show me where he said it. Pretty simple if true. Not sure why people keep lying about it. If you don’t think it’s true especially don’t know why you’re lying about it.
I was saying no one thinks (or should think) he isn't a good Xs and Os guy. PJ is clearly a good coach. He wouldn't be a successful P5 coach if he didn't understand Xs and Os. I am simply pointing out that he has said, more than once, that he isn't an Xs and Os guy. Not just here either - said the same at WMU.

I say give Simon a chance. If he can prove himself, I’d rather hire a dedicated QB coach. Otherwise, find someone running a high-octane offense in the G5.

I say give Simon a chance. If he can prove himself, I’d rather hire a dedicated QB coach. Otherwise, find someone running a high-octane offense in the G5.
Patterson's JC offenses set records. As GWG mentioned, he seems to be the OC-in-waiting.

It won't be surprising if PJ Fleck rewards loyalty if he deems internal candidates are ready. He himself got a break at a very young age as head coach. On the other hand, some of those coaches who sojourned and earned their way through low paying or voluntary jobs through their coaching journeys may become excellent coaches because they have seen it all.
Fleck is a guy with a roadmap, that's why I believe he is encouraging of opportunities for his assistants and not fearful.

I was saying no one thinks (or should think) he isn't a good Xs and Os guy. PJ is clearly a good coach. He wouldn't be a successful P5 coach if he didn't understand Xs and Os. I am simply pointing out that he has said, more than once, that he isn't an Xs and Os guy. Not just here either - said the same at WMU.
He never said he wasn’t an Xs and Os guy.
All you have to do is find one thing proving he said that and I won’t think you’re a liar. Don’t understand why you insist on this lie anyways

More money.
Better HC.

Also not accountable fully for sex crimes with kids. You can do pretty much what you want if you're good at what you do.

He never said he wasn’t an Xs and Os guy.
All you have to do is find one thing proving he said that and I won’t think you’re a liar. Don’t understand why you insist on this lie anyways
This is like Deja-Vu. IIRC, I found a few examples for you - each one dismissed as not being "exactly" him saying he wasn't an Xs and Os guy. It is an odd thing to work so hard to deny - but you be you.

Top Bottom