Kirk Ciarocca a Possibility for the Texas OC job

If he leaves for Texas OC he may be fired after 1 year because they could fire the whole staff next year after a bad season. I think he should stay and try and get a head coaching job at a non power 5 school if he wants to leave.

His name is being tossed around for the Penn State OC job too.

Well, time to see what they pay...if they pay a lot more I could see him leaving. If not, then I don't see him leaving unless he gets a shot as a HC somewhere, it doesn't make sense otherwise.

Usually I would tell him to jump all over that Texas job, but right now that program continues to be a dumpster fire and isn't Tom Hermann supposed to be the offensive genius anyway?

It really boils down to what his career goals are and if his family is happy living steps aways form the North Pole. Austin is a nice place to live, can't say much for State College, PA.

He just got a bump in pay to $1 million, which puts him just outside the top 20 for assistant coaches. I’m sure these schools can pay more than that, but that would mean they think highly enough of him to make him one of the highest paid assistants in the country.

If he leaves, do we bring someone else in, or promote Simon?

Usually I would tell him to jump all over that Texas job, but right now that program continues to be a dumpster fire and isn't Tom Hermann supposed to be the offensive genius anyway?

It really boils down to what his career goals are and if his family is happy living steps aways form the North Pole. Austin is a nice place to live, can't say much for State College, PA.
Austin was a nice place to live, I can't say that about it anymore, but seeing you're from Houston I'm pretty sure you have a good vibe for what's it's like there these days. I don't see him taking a lateral move to Texas. When he leaves (and he will at some point), I'm guessing it'll be a head coaching job.

Herman is a dead man walking. Beside on field issues he and his staff...were caught giving the Jersey salute to The Longhorn Network camera on signing day...and then he made up some dumb story later as an excuse. Add to his mocking of that quarterback a couple years ago, strip club stories, nutty wife stories re: Urban Meyer fiasco, and overall the dysfunction junction angle has to rub a lot of fans and TX coaches the wrong way.

Ciarrocca may/probably will eventually leave but I doubt going to
TX..Herman’s juvenile act has to be wearing thin.

If he leaves for Texas OC he may be fired after 1 year because they could fire the whole staff next year after a bad season. I think he should stay and try and get a head coaching job at a non power 5 school if he wants to leave.
Good points.

Austin was a nice place to live, I can't say that about it anymore, but seeing you're from Houston I'm pretty sure you have a good vibe for what's it's like there these days. I don't see him taking a lateral move to Texas. When he leaves (and he will at some point), I'm guessing it'll be a head coaching job.
Sounds like Minneapolis

Is there any chance that if Hermann gets fired mid season or early season he would become the interim coach for a season which could end up with him keeping the job? I don't want to lose him but that might make it more attractive.

How many years would he last in Texas?

He'll be starting with a brand new QB and have one year to make an impression.

Bad timing.

I wonder if these schools realize he doesn’t utilize his Tight Ends enough?
dont say that on the other gopher site... the vultures will be all over you for suggesting we need to be creative in a game when our normal things arnt working... how dare you to suggest to use tight ends...
that is brain overload thinking

Wouldn't he be pretty high on our list if Fleck ever leaves? Might be a reason to stick around.

Texas doesn't make any sense for KC. I could see a job like Penn State holding appeal because he is from PA but I don't see any real connection to Texas in his past and with Herman's situation down there it would seem odd that he would have any interest in going down there.

Of course we have no clue if he actually has any interest in other jobs even if they have interest in him. If we are paying him up near the top it would be surprising to see him jump ship for anything other than a head coaching gig.

UT is my second favorite College Football team behind MN and I've even grown thin of Herman and his continued excuses for boneheaded mistakes. They need to figure out something better in Austin because clearly Herman isn't it.

Is there any chance that if Hermann gets fired mid season or early season he would become the interim coach for a season which could end up with him keeping the job? I don't want to lose him but that might make it more attractive.
And Texas would expect to bring in a "high profile" replacement HC that would bring in his staff and toss KC to the curb.

And Texas would expect to bring in a "high profile" replacement HC that would bring in his staff and toss KC to the curb.
How many more chances does TX get to attract a high profile HC?

I don't care if I get skewered to death for this, this is absolutely the opinion I hold: KC is the least important piece of the puzzle.

I won't shed many tears if he leaves.

I think his offenses are very narrow in their philosophy. I think his offensive philosophy got us beat by Iowa and Wisconsin.

Flame away

Is Texas the Nebraska of the South?
Of course the brisket in and around Austin is delicious, but there are now a couple of places in the Twin Cities to get good brisket (Bark and the Bite, and Minnesota BBQ Co.)

I don't care if I get skewered to death for this, this is absolutely the opinion I hold: KC is the least important piece of the puzzle.

I won't shed many tears if he leaves.

I think his offenses are very narrow in their philosophy. I think his offensive philosophy got us beat by Iowa and Wisconsin.

Flame away
Granted Morgan is th most accurate and heady QB the Gophers have had for a long time, and the wide receiver talent is also very good, but the difference in this Gopher's offense vs anything I have seen in my lifetime is huge. The players didn't make the plays against Iowa or Wisconsin and the defensive scheme in the first half vs Iowa was not good.
I for one would miss KC.

Granted Morgan is th most accurate and heady QB the Gophers have had for a long time, and the wide receiver talent is also very good, but the difference in this Gopher's offense vs anything I have seen in my lifetime is huge. The players didn't make the plays against Iowa or Wisconsin and the defensive scheme in the first half vs Iowa was not good.
I for one would miss KC.
Quite obviously: it has been the best offense in forever ... because we threw the ball a lot, we had an incredibly accurate QB, and very good WR.

I don't agree that KC gets credit for that, per se. Anyone can call a passing play. Did KC routinely scheme just the right routes to call, that helped our players make the play? Or were Morgan, Bateman, and TJ just able to make play after play, no matter what routes were dialed up, no matter what coverages were called?

Mainly the problem I had was the narrowness. When our running game got shut down ... we had no other types of running plays to try. Zone, zone, zone. How about some power? How about some sweeps? Traps? There are other ways to run the ball than zone!

The whole year, when the running game didn't happen, it didn't matter, because Morgan & Co. would make some outstanding play in the air. That's great. But we need a strong running game.

Again, hate me all you want, but I like Iowa and Wisconsin's offensive philosophies more. We could move more that direction, while still choosing to throw the ball more often.

He got offered more money and a title bump to move east last year to WVU. Since then he's gotten a massive raise at MN and set the table for a top 10 national passing game next year. Not sure why he'd leave unless somebody literally backs up the Brinks truck to his house. But coordinators leave all the time so I guess we'll see...

Quite obviously: it has been the best offense in forever ... because we threw the ball a lot, we had an incredibly accurate QB, and very good WR.

I don't agree that KC gets credit for that, per se. Anyone can call a passing play. Did KC routinely scheme just the right routes to call, that helped our players make the play? Or were Morgan, Bateman, and TJ just able to make play after play, no matter what routes were dialed up, no matter what coverages were called?
I suppose it's possible that Tanner Morgan could've performed this well at any school, but don't you think there's a small chance he's become this QB because of KC's coaching and scheme? Morgan was a mid-3* player committed to WMU and who lost the starting job to a walk-on last year. He's now an all-time great at MN.

No way of knowing the impact of KC leaving, but personally I'd rather not find out in the short-term.

Absolutely there's a chance that Morgan developed because of KC. That is one aspect I've ignored, and that's my fault: being the QB coach.

Sure, could be a huge impact.

And of course there is always a decent chance that I'm just wrong and have no idea what I'm talking about.

Nothing wrong with discussion.

Top Bottom