Kiper's thoughts on Decker

ust4life

Reaction score
From Mel Kiper's ESPN Chat this afternoon:

"Decker is the leaader on that team. He's 6-3, 210 and can run in the 4.5 range. The question for him will be what kind of window will he give the QB to throw into? He has great hands. Tough. He takes a hit and holds on to the ball. He's a very nice pick in the second round of the draft."

Good to see Decker getting the pub/recognition from the media he deserves. I would have to imagine Decker would be more than satisfied to get drafted in round 2, which I think would be the perfect place for him. As much as we love him as gopher homers, I just don't think he's got the top end speed to be drafted in round 1. Regardless, he'll be a successful pro...it's just too bad the Vikes won't be taking a WR this year to draft him so we can watch him some more.

round one is for program changers. I don't see Decker as having that kind of skill. I do see him having a very nice NFL career. Perfect 2nd or 3rd pick for a team a little lacking in WR depth.

I would be surprised if he lasts to round 3 but one thing is for sure, regardless of where he is taken... they will be happy they picked him. I am REALLY going to miss watching him every Saturday but I am looking forward to following his career at the next level.

Nice boost since Kiper had him pegged as a late 3rd/4th round guy after last season.

Gold already looks good on him... now if he'd just add some green to it, he'd probably jump to the top of my all-time favorite people...

perfect spot for him. He could possibly turn into a Hines Ward type franchise guy but he's more than likely an excellent #2 guy like a Jake Reed or TJ Whosyamomma

perfect spot for him. He could possibly turn into a Hines Ward type franchise guy but he's more than likely an excellent #2 guy like a Jake Reed or TJ Whosyamomma

Yuck, Hines Ward?. Please don't insult Eric Decker like that.

I know a team in N.E Ohio who might be taking a looong look at Decker early in round 2 after trading Braylon today.

Gold already looks good on him... now if he'd just add some green to it, he'd probably jump to the top of my all-time favorite people...
The Gopher/Packer fans are one of the most unholy things this universe has spawned.

If he gets drafted by a team with an upper echelon QB I think he could be a great player in the NFL....if a team like the Browns draft him, could be tougher for him.

If he gets drafted by a team with an upper echelon QB I think he could be a great player in the NFL....if a team like the Browns draft him, could be tougher for him.

to be fair...if D. Anderson is on he is as good as there is out there, unfortunately thats only every other start. :mad: I love my Gophers like there is no tomorrow, even more than any of my pro teams....but I can't seem to let go of my Browns, Cavs, and Indians....even though I do find myself rooting for the Twins when not playing the Indians.

Decker will be a low 2nd high third round pick. He will be a solid slot/possession receiver with an occasional HR bomb. Will be a good pick for some team.

The Gopher/Packer fans are one of the most unholy things this universe has spawned.

Gotta disagree...I'm a Vikings fan myself, but I've got to love the Gopher/Packer hybrids. Besides the fact that a number of them are good friends of mine, we get a lot of sconnies at the U, and I like to see that sort of upward mobility out of our neighbors to the east. (And it beats the hell out of the ones who come to school here and somehow retain their allegiances to the badgers...THAT'S a group of people I can build up some serious dislike for.)

Decker will be a low 2nd high third round pick. He will be a solid slot/possession receiver with an occasional HR bomb. Will be a good pick for some team.

Thanks for your great NFL draft insight.

As a life long Bears fan I could not stomach seeing Decker in a FudgePacker Uniform.......

Have you have ever heard of Cris Carter? Not the greatest speed but a great NFL career.

To me he's got the Indianapolis Colts written all over him...he seems like a perfect fit there with Peyton and the style of offense they run

Hines Ward is a complete player and is tough as hell. He runs routes well, consistently catches balls thrown is way, run blocks and has a very physical mentality. I am totally okay with that comparison.

yeah, because someone with a 10 year career, 826 catches, 10135 yards, 72 TDs, 12.3 ypc, absolutely lays the wood on blocks, 2 super bowl rings, 4 pro bowls, and a super bowl mvp is about the worst thing he could be called.

get real.

Alright, I'll come clean and air my biases. I'm a Bengals fan and hate all things Steelers. Especially Hines Ward. He's so whiney and cheap. I've also never seen much talent out of him, just someone who has benefitted greatly from being in a great franchise for his whole career.

On to Decker. Decker makes catches that Hines Ward could only dream of. He goes up and attacks the ball. If you look at Hines Ward, his main talents are finding soft spots in zones and sitting there. He's also good at getting open on plays where the QB moves out of the pocket. Sure, he has great numbers and will probably have a much better career than Eric Decker in the NFL. That doesn't mean I have to like him or think that Decker can't be what he is. I just think Decker has more receiving skills than Hines.

I also hope that Decker has 5 super bowl rings and 3 MVPs.

Alright, I'll come clean and air my biases. I'm a Bengals fan and hate all things Steelers. Especially Hines Ward. He's so whiney and cheap. I've also never seen much talent out of him, just someone who has benefitted greatly from being in a great franchise for his whole career.

On to Decker. Decker makes catches that Hines Ward could only dream of. He goes up and attacks the ball. If you look at Hines Ward, his main talents are finding soft spots in zones and sitting there. He's also good at getting open on plays where the QB moves out of the pocket. Sure, he has great numbers and will probably have a much better career than Eric Decker in the NFL. That doesn't mean I have to like him or think that Decker can't be what he is. I just think Decker has more receiving skills than Hines.

I also hope that Decker has 5 super bowl rings and 3 MVPs.

Dayjoh: Hines Ward::Art Vandelay: Michael Cuddyer

The reciever Decker reminds me of most is Fred Biletnikoff. Biletnikoff was always able to get open and make the tough catch despite not having great speed. He did it the way Decker does running precise routes and using his body. I will admit that I only saw Biletnikoff later in his career.

I don't know about Belitnikoff. Decker is more like Ed McCaffrey who had a very good 10+ year career with the Giants and Broncos.

Thanks for your great NFL draft insight.

Your welcome :D

I don't think I really have a bad track record going in predicting where U players end up, though I admit to being a little surprised that Barber fell to the fourth round and was extremely upset the Vikes drafted Fason instead of him.

I just don't see Decker going first round. It is possible for sure, and I might add if he continues playing the way he is, he may very well go in the lower portion of the first round and justifiably so. I think his intangibles do increase his value and he may very well end up there. His college career and the fact he makes plays even when he is focused on by defenses.

Though the 40 time is not a tell all, a lot of teams do look at and other things they pick up during the pre-draft workouts (though they don't admit it). Otherwise why do players rise and fall in draft status after the college season, even though their college career tells a different story. The pre-draft workout was why TWill was selected by the Vikes #7 even though he should have dropped much farther. The pressure on where he was selected and the expectations of being Moss's replacement I think were primary reasons he has been unable to make it as a pro.

Personally I hope I am wrong and Decker gets drafted higher. Him being selected anywhere in the first round or high second round would send an awesome message to other recruits wanting to come here, that MN is not a hindrance to getting drafted being one.

Otherwise, like everyone else on this board I have an opinion, nothing more nothing less. ;)

Top Bottom