Kill's recruiting classes

I don't care where you are.
If you can't break the top hundred you suck as a recruiter!
Leach or Holtz have more recruiting ability in there little fingers.

Kill will get better recruits than Brewster. How? He knows how to coach up players, so he'll get more out of the kids. He'll get better recruits because he's almost instantly more credible than Brewster ever was.

I don't think he's a Glen Mason type of coach at all.

NI was a 2-10 team before Kill took over and he went 6-7 the next year, then 7-6, then 10-3.

I'm not saying he was the best choice but he's a solid hire and I think you'l see good recruiting classes in the next few years.

Kill has 2 months to recruit a class to Minnesota. Let's see how he does before we write him off as a recruiter.

The bottom line is, if Kill does well with next year's Gopher team, he's going to be able to recruit better.....and so on.

Rankings per scout, haven't checked Rivals yet. Ugh, just awful.

2006 - 104th
2007 - 114th
2008 - 118th
2009 - 105th
2010 - 103rd

Welcome, Glen Mason. Lots of 1/2 star types to be starting soon. I look forward to 215 pound DE that can't stop the run or rush the passer and CBs that run a 4.8.

He might be able to coach but his recruiting is going to have to be 100x better than it was with NIU.

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=9&c=14

all this, yet he still wins games... think about that a minute.

Kill has 2 months to recruit a class to Minnesota. Let's see how he does before we write him off as a recruiter.

The bottom line is, if Kill does well with next year's Gopher team, he's going to be able to recruit better.....and so on.

Like anything else, it will be about 3 years before we can really judge the recruits.

I'm not concerned about his past recruiting classes, because you are comparing apples and oranges. At his past jobs, he had to take all the hand-me-down players, but was able to coach his teams to succeed at their level. Being able to recruit to a B10 school will provide an opportunity for Kill to bring in better players. His coaching ability will bring success.

Have any of you been to DeKalb, IL? If so, you probably don't want to go back. If not, you don't want to go there. I am of the former.

Some of you seem more interested in recruiting class rankings than results. This guy came from nowhere, has been handed nothing, and has spent a lifetime working his butt off to get where he is now and has the results to prove it. 100+ ranked recruiting classes piss-pounded our squad this year and put up 10 wins. That tells me he and his staff can develop players, something Brew couldn't do. Will he be able to recruit here? We'll see, but who cares if he is able to develop guys and put 10 wins on the board.

It doesn't matter what the players are ranked when they get to college. Just some examples off the top of my head, but see Rasheed Hageman, Michael Carter, Spencer Reeves, Sam Maresh, etc, etc, all of whom were highly touted and have done nothing; Eric Decker, Marion Barber III (few offers and the U did not offer until AFTER the Prep Bowl., and even then intended to play him at d-back, not RB), Greg Eslinger, Troy Stoudamire (2 star) and Dajon McKnight (2 star), none of whom were highly touted coming in, but couldn't it be said they developed in to very good players (I'm not putting Troy in the same universe as MB, Decker, and the other former Gophers; just making the point that he has been more than we expected when he got here).

What matters is how they are rated when they leave, and where the team ranks.

Maturi did not do himself any favors at the Brew firing press conference by even referencing he Tubby hire, but beyond that, expectations for a big hire were set only by the media and others on this board, none of whom were privy to any information whatsoever as to how the process went.

Agreed. Dekalb sucks a$$

Kill didn't start at Northern Illinois until 2008.

Doesn't surprise me that some are ignoring that fact. They hate the hire so much that they're trying to blame him for recruiting classes that happened before he was even hired there.

It'd be nice if he kept someone like Hammock or Davis or both on the staff to help with recruiting purposes.

Doesn't surprise me that some are ignoring that fact. They hate the hire so much that they're trying to blame him for recruiting classes that happened before he was even hired there.

You'd have a point.

If the recruiting improved after he was hired.

Some of you seem more interested in recruiting class rankings than results. This guy came from nowhere, has been handed nothing, and has spent a lifetime working his butt off to get where he is now and has the results to prove it. 100+ ranked recruiting classes piss-pounded our squad this year and put up 10 wins. That tells me he and his staff can develop players, something Brew couldn't do. Will he be able to recruit here? We'll see, but who cares if he is able to develop guys and put 10 wins on the board.

Amen to that. I will take a tireless worker over a blowhard like Brewster any day of the week. Also, his hardwork has seemed to pay off everywhere he has been, so he also seems to be a skilled coach. Why on Earth would people not at least give a hard worker who can coach a chance? He also seems to have a pretty good character which will help him. The more I read about him the more I like him. I bet he makes us legitimate in two years. (I mean very competitive, this is not a rose bowl guarantee)

What I expect from Kill's recruiting. I expect him to offer more of the borderline MN kids than Brewster did, but not all. In hopes that he could develop them. I feel like he is a guy that cares more about having great football players than great athletes. I expect him to supplement his base of 8-12 Minnesota every year with 10-15 out of state kids.
I expect that the lowest rated kids he signs will be the bottom half of the Minnesota kids.

This is what I expect to happen, this is not what my "expectations" are. My expectations are for him to win, by any means necessary.

It'd be nice if he kept someone like Hammock or Davis or both on the staff to help with recruiting purposes.

That would be a good idea to possibly keep or bring in someone like a Hammock or Davis imo.

Quick question I know people are saying that most of his coaching staff has been with him for a while and that's good and all (especially with the gopher's previous situation) but have any of them ever coached and more importantly ever recruited for a BCS team?

I like his record and all but the big 10 is a whole different ball game then Division 2 or even the MAC. it's a little more difficult to simply out coach a Kirk Ferentz or Bo Pelini (Ron Zook I'll admit is possible) and especially so with lesser athletes.

I'm all for coaching student athletes up (insert the famous line I recruit football players not athletes) but id like a few johnnies and joes to go with those x's and o's and I hope Maturi didn't put all his attention into just that and forget about a coaches ability to recruit.

If this guy brings his staff with him...we are screwed.

He needs to find an OC or DC that has ties to FL, TX and the South.

Kill has none and his current staff has none.

I look for him to chase a DC that is currently a strong recruiter and position coach at a southern school to help...problem is...will anyone from the south want to be his DC?

This is really a strange thread. I really would have preferred some other candidates but the lunacy on this board is making me into a Kill Kool Aid drinker (isn't that what they served at Jonestown?) already.

But as someone else pointed out in this thread, Northern Illinois's classes got better with Kill and they became middle of the pack. Winning has the effect on recruiting as we saw here (Brew's classes were tapering off).

Now we have people clamoring for Kill to bring in a "southern DC" to get some recruits. You honestly think that makes sense? Northern Illinois is coming off an incredibly impressive stretch of having the best defense in the MAC the last three seasons and you want him to replace his Defensive Coordinator? A guy who has been with him for 15 seasons and has Northern Illinois's defense in the top 30 nationally the past 3 seasons? If you really want to rip a guy, please do some research on him before you start spewing stuff like that. The only way this guy doesn't come to MN is if he is the new coach at Northern Illinois.

Now, onto finding people who can recruit, and looking at Davis and Hammock. That might be a little bit tough. This Northern Illinois staff is pretty solid in those spots. Northern Illinois has had such a succesful running game and they've done remarkable (the staff) at building top level RBs (Chad Spann, Brandon Jacobs (at Southern Illinois), and have a top flight running game in general that it would be hard to imagine that the RB's coach doesn't deserve a spot. Hammock might have some connections to this staff being that he is a Northern Illinois grad, so maybe, but I just can't see why we would want to not bring a coach who has probably done the best on the entire staff (the RBs).

Brandon Jacobs started out at Auburn with Cadillac Williams and Ronnie Brown. He ended up a D-1AA Southern Illinois...the guy was a stud to begin with. I don't know how you measure recruiting success in the MAC it's a completely different animal than recruiting at a BCS school against Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, etc.

Brandon Jacobs started out at Auburn with Cadillac Williams and Ronnie Brown. He ended up a D-1AA Southern Illinois...the guy was a stud to begin with. I don't know how you measure recruiting success in the MAC it's a completely different animal than recruiting at a BCS school against Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, etc.

Yeah, I was just saying their running backs coach has done an outstanding job of producing and working with top quality running backs.

Yeah, judging recruiting in the MAC is tough. They don't have the recruiting budgets of anywhere in the Big 10 so they are often composed of about 50% homegrown kids (or more), and mostly other kids who are neighboring.

Well said. It seems like the last two hires have been to address the biggest weakness of the previous coach.

Obviously Kill knows how to coach football; his record proves it. However while "knowing how to coach" may be all fine and good to win the MAC, is only going to take you so far in the Big Ten. If he can't bring talent here, we're never going to finish higher than 4-4 with him. So I hope he can bring some great recruiters to his staff.

Kind of my feelings. I look at Kill as Mason with some energy and a better idea of what to do on the defensive side of the ball. A lot is going to depend on his assistants. But he is the antithesis of Brewster, who was the antithesis of Mason.

As for recruiting, we'll see what happens immediately with who of the current class stays and if he can get some of the recently-sought Minnesota kids to fill out this class. As an example, if Bjorklund goes to Wisconsin (I believe they've offered him), it may be the start of a sad trend.

I like Kill as a coach, but I was hoping for a higher profile hire. Last year I predicted we were on the verge of becoming Indiana and if it's true that we were turned down by Hoke, Golden, and other high profile candidates, it may sadly be the case.

Kind of my feelings. I look at Kill as Mason with some energy and a better idea of what to do on the defensive side of the ball. A lot is going to depend on his assistants. But he is the antithesis of Brewster, who was the antithesis of Mason.

As for recruiting, we'll see what happens immediately with who of the current class stays and if he can get some of the recently-sought Minnesota kids to fill out this class. As an example, if Bjorklund goes to Wisconsin (I believe they've offered him), it may be the start of a sad trend.

I like Kill as a coach, but I was hoping for a higher profile hire. Last year I predicted we were on the verge of becoming Indiana and if it's true that we were turned down by Hoke, Golden, and other high profile candidates, it may sadly be the case.

Yeah, I hear you. While I prefer Kill to Hoke or Golden, I found it kind of depressing when early on we knew it was a pipedream to get a coach from Boise St., TCU, Mississippi St., etc.

As far as recruiting, yeah, I hope he is able to do decent this season but it's a tough one to really judge him by. He is a complete unknown to most these kids and their coaches so we might have a hard time out-recruiting the Iowa's and Wisconsin's for any of these kids and sort of be stuck with the "leftovers". It's just hard to come in and be a complete unknown and tell a kid not to go to a 11-1 Wisconsin team but to stay at home and play for a 3-9 Gopher team when you don't even know the guy. If he works hard, that'll change though, even Brew was able to keep a better chunk of the MN boys than Mason.

Top Bottom