Kill's recruiting classes

Reaction score
Rankings per scout, haven't checked Rivals yet. Ugh, just awful.

2006 - 104th
2007 - 114th
2008 - 118th
2009 - 105th
2010 - 103rd

Welcome, Glen Mason. Lots of 1/2 star types to be starting soon. I look forward to 215 pound DE that can't stop the run or rush the passer and CBs that run a 4.8.

He might be able to coach but his recruiting is going to have to be 100x better than it was with NIU.

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=9&c=14

Also, let me just say that I realize its more difficult to recruit to NIU but its not like its always easy to recruit to MN, either.

Holy living eff. These look like our defensive rankings.

118th? At least he's trending in the right direction....

Mason couldn't recruit so Maturi went all in on a a recruiter. Brewster couldn't coach so Maturi went all in on a coach.

This just goes to show you that recruiting rankings only tell half the story. Look at Wis., they have not been in the top 10 for recruiting ever yet they are 4th in the country. Kills recruiting will improve based on the mere fact that he is at MN and in the B10 with great facilities. But don't just look at one aspect and assume Kill is going to be a failure. In fact, it just goes to show you that he gets everything out of his kids since he was able to win the conference division title with these kids.

Mason couldn't recruit so Maturi went all in on a a recruiter. Brewster couldn't coach so Maturi went all in on a coach.

Should have just kept Mason then. It has come full circle.

Just once it would be nice to get someone that can do both.

This just goes to show you that recruiting rankings only tell half the story. Look at Wis., they have not been in the top 10 for recruiting ever yet they are 4th in the country. Kills recruiting will improve based on the mere fact that he is at MN and in the B10 with great facilities. But don't just look at one aspect and assume Kill is going to be a failure. In fact, it just goes to show you that he gets everything out of his kids since he was able to win the conference division title with these kids.

Agreed. Those numbers are brutal, though. I hope he spends some money on a top-notch recruiting coordinator.

Exactly what I'm thinking. At best, this guy takes us to where we were with Mason.

Wisconsin is always around the 20-40 range. Same with Iowa.

I believe Mason's last two were 62 and 56.

I really doubt Kill will be higher than the 50/60 range, which means this program is likely going back to having Mason-like players. That really blows. Mason was a good coach, on par with a Kill IMO, but the players were dreadful at the end.

We could also look at it this way:

He has horrible (rated) recruiting classes and won. Temple has number one MAC classes and wins. Who is the better football coach then?

I am not worried how he will do recruiting here. Great new stadium, he is personable, respectful, classy, hard working, prepares kids for life, etc. (i.e. Tubby Smith) I am disappointed at the "sexiness" of the hire like everyone else, but I don't doubt that Kill will be successful here.

TCU and Boise State classes are never very high. It is about the coach bringing them up.

Well said. It seems like the last two hires have been to address the biggest weakness of the previous coach.

Obviously Kill knows how to coach football; his record proves it. However while "knowing how to coach" may be all fine and good to win the MAC, is only going to take you so far in the Big Ten. If he can't bring talent here, we're never going to finish higher than 4-4 with him. So I hope he can bring some great recruiters to his staff.

Mason couldn't recruit so Maturi went all in on a a recruiter. Brewster couldn't coach so Maturi went all in on a coach

It's a vicious cycle.

Kill was only there two or three years, wasn't he? The dude brought in two classes, and they were an improvement on the previous two, no doubt. I think that 118th was in the midst of the coaching change, but obviously he won't be able to recruit like that and win, I think that's obvious. I'm not expecting him to pull in top 20 classes, i don't think anyone would, but you can recruit in the top 40, you'll have a shot in the Big Ten.

The thing about Mason was, he wasn't that bad of a recruiter when he actually cared about the program. He got talent to get us in the top 15 in the country. It was post 2003 when we failed against Michigan and he just fell off the map, recruiting-wise.

Rankings per scout, haven't checked Rivals yet. Ugh, just awful.

2006 - 104th
2007 - 114th
2008 - 118th
2009 - 105th
2010 - 103rd

Welcome, Glen Mason. Lots of 1/2 star types to be starting soon. I look forward to 215 pound DE that can't stop the run or rush the passer and CBs that run a 4.8.

He might be able to coach but his recruiting is going to have to be 100x better than it was with NIU.

http://recruiting.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=9&c=14

You are forgetting the important lesson here. We're a Big Ten university. I fully expect his recruiting classes to jump into the 90's...

Recruiting Classes

His recruiting classes were ranked low... AND HE STILL WON!

Gophers need a coach who can coach football not a glamour figure head. His recruits were good enough to whip the Gophers A$$es witn the Gophers highly ranked recruits...

Reality is no one wants to coach here thats a REALITY! Kill can coach we need a coach.

Kill BEAT the Gophers with his lowly recruits... flip the script if Kill coached the Gophers and Brewster NIU Kill would win with Brewsters team - bet on it..

I want a nerdy looking football guy who can coach...

Wisconsin is always around the 20-40 range. Same with Iowa.

I believe Mason's last two were 62 and 56.

I really doubt Kill will be higher than the 50/60 range, which means this program is likely going back to having Mason-like players. That really blows. Mason was a good coach, on par with a Kill IMO, but the players were dreadful at the end.

Mason was a good OFFENSIVE coach, his defenses were the worst in the B10. If we had a half way decent defense under Mason we would have had some great teams and we would have went to the Rose Bowl. I think with Kill we will have both a good offense and a solid defense. If we have Mason teams with an actual defense, we will be damn good. Based on Kill's history, I think that he will focus on both sides of the ball instead of just offense like Mason did.

Agreed. Those numbers are brutal, though. I hope he spends some money on a top-notch recruiting coordinator.

I like some of your posts, but you are off on how the recruiting process works.

Recruiting coordinators do nothing. They do not recruit. The coaches recruit. Recruiting coordinators organize things. They keep a database.

How can he recruit if he keeps the no social networking rule for players, that I have seen on Twitter. Not many B10 football prospects will accept that rule in this day and age. And I don't blame them.

That being said, I wonder if NIU has any players worthy of following him here and playing in 2012, Gray's Senior year. I am really hoping for something good that year.

Top high school recruits don't sign up to play at NIU regardless of how good the coach is as a recruiter.

Have any of you been to DeKalb, IL? If so, you probably don't want to go back. If not, you don't want to go there. I am of the former.

Some of you seem more interested in recruiting class rankings than results. This guy came from nowhere, has been handed nothing, and has spent a lifetime working his butt off to get where he is now and has the results to prove it. 100+ ranked recruiting classes piss-pounded our squad this year and put up 10 wins. That tells me he and his staff can develop players, something Brew couldn't do. Will he be able to recruit here? We'll see, but who cares if he is able to develop guys and put 10 wins on the board.

It doesn't matter what the players are ranked when they get to college. Just some examples off the top of my head, but see Rasheed Hageman, Michael Carter, Spencer Reeves, Sam Maresh, etc, etc, all of whom were highly touted and have done nothing; Eric Decker, Marion Barber III (few offers and the U did not offer until AFTER the Prep Bowl., and even then intended to play him at d-back, not RB), Greg Eslinger, Troy Stoudamire (2 star) and Dajon McKnight (2 star), none of whom were highly touted coming in, but couldn't it be said they developed in to very good players (I'm not putting Troy in the same universe as MB, Decker, and the other former Gophers; just making the point that he has been more than we expected when he got here).

What matters is how they are rated when they leave, and where the team ranks.

Maturi did not do himself any favors at the Brew firing press conference by even referencing he Tubby hire, but beyond that, expectations for a big hire were set only by the media and others on this board, none of whom were privy to any information whatsoever as to how the process went.

I like some of your posts, but you are off on how the recruiting process works.

Recruiting coordinators do nothing. They do not recruit. The coaches recruit. Recruiting coordinators organize things. They keep a database.

Hiring Jerry Kill, and his lack of players, brings up the famous Bum Phillips quote on Bear Bryant, “Bryant can take his and beat yours, and then he can turn around and take yours and beat his.”

There is no doubt that at MN, you have to have someone who can take a bit lesser talent, like Joe Tiller did at Purdue, and beat the schools that have a recruiting edge on us. There are a lot of players that don't project well, but end up well. I guess I'd rather have the best football coach that can do that. If we did get a plum like Leach, he'd be hanging his "For Sale" sign out to move on yearly if he was able to recruit a bit, and win with 'em.

How does this compare with other MAC schools? Do you really expect a MAC school to have high recruiting rankings?

How does this compare with other MAC schools? Do you really expect a MAC school to have high recruiting rankings?

NIU ranked with the rest of the MAC in recruiting
2006 last
2007 last
2008 last-Kill #1
2009 #7-Kill #2
2010 #4-Kill #3

With that coach Kills MAC records were:
2008-5-3
2009-5-3
2010-8-0

Pretty impressive.

Kill has never been . . .

anywhere where recruiting big time athletes was an issue. Can't say for sure that he won't be able to do this, but it seems unlikely after having never been involved in the process. The poster that said that coaches do the recruiting, not recruiting coordinators is right on. The other part of that equation is that the players have to be open to being recruited by a certain team and often times initiate the process. I have trouble seeing players getting so excited about Kill or anyone on his staff that they will want to be recruited by him. They have little or no reputation outside of central and southern Illinois. Thanks to Brewster, Minnesota is not a place where athletes want to go. So if the school doesn't attract them and the coaches don't attract them, who is going to come?

The test is going to come with the group of recruits that Brewster had lined up and who Horton was keeping warm. They, no doubt were following the events of the last 6 weeks. They no doubt heard Maturi and Bruininks talk about home runs and hirings we could all be proud of. Let's see how they end up voting on commitment day. Someone should keep a score sheet to see how well the new staff is doing. If we end up slipping to the 70 to 90 range, I forsee a lot of trouble on the horizon. Coaching em up is important, but as Bobby Bowden is wont to point out, you have to both recruit and coach em up if you want to win in the big time.

And for the guy who asked the question about whether anyone had ever been to Dekalb, the answer is yes I have. It is a little grim there, but if you are a second tier football player in the greater Chicagoland area (and Chicago is spreading west and closer to Dekalb every day) it is better than a lot of the other choices. NIU has had a pretty good program both before and during the tenure of Coach Kill. But make no mistake, it was the MAC.

NIU ranked with the rest of the MAC in recruiting
2006 last
2007 last
2008 last-Kill #1
2009 #7-Kill #2
2010 #4-Kill #3

With that coach Kills MAC records were:
2008-5-3
2009-5-3
2010-8-0

Pretty impressive.

Im sorry, I don't know you. Is this sarcastic? I actually think it is somewhat impressive... I just hope it translates to wins in the Big Ten instead of a conference like the MAC.

Im sorry, I don't know you. Is this sarcastic? I actually think it is somewhat impressive... I just hope it translates to wins in the Big Ten instead of a conference like the MAC.

He is being serious (I think) and I agree, it is impressive.

Like you said. Pretty impressive

Top Bottom