Kill on expectations of next year, QB situation and more

I always get a chuckle when I see Harnish's stat line from our 2010 game.
Harnish for the day:
11/17 81 yards and 2 TD
The running game was outstanding that year though.
That offense in total rushed for 3645 yards and 42 TDs, 8 guys with over 100 yards rushing on the season. 5 had over 200 yards.

Sad thing was they still had four guys with over 28 catches, two with more catches than Maxx. Maxx was the only one with more than 18 catches this year. Yikes.

Here is what I think. I keep remembering Kill's teams at Northern Illinois. they were a run-first team, but they had a varied offense, using the QB run and the pass along with running by the RB's. When Kill was hired, I had the impression that those teams were the blueprint for what the Gophers would look like once Kill and his staff had the players they wanted and needed to make the system work.

People get hung up on systems, or X's and O's - but in the end, it comes down to having the players. Any offense can look dynamic if you have dynamic athletes running it. And, any offense can look anemic if you don't have the athletes.

Kill claims the offense will be better next year. Let's see if he's right.

Yep!

This is not just about Leidner.The 2014 Gophers were short suited in other areas. To get to the level of consistently being in a position to win the BIG West the last weekend in November is all about having quality players and adequate depth in all spots.

Seems to me Coach Kill said it could be a seven year process. Not sure if that was when he was hired or renewed but his opinion is the program has a ways to go. And we must continue to bring in players who have the potential or are better than the incumbents. Then we can start building quality depth and maybe this is the first year we can say that.

So where are we? One can bank on W's against Nebby the past two seasons, dominating Iowa and a huge win at Micheeegan. Yet the guys struggled against struggling NU and Purdont squads, couldn't beat the Illini and didn't bring their A game against Wisky and Mizzou.

Has the program turned the corner?? I think its too early to tell.

Not that I really care, but that post had 17 sentences, so I'm not sure what point you are making???

Missed a fine pun. U people are way to serious in all things football related and in things so sincerely funny and it may be just me being lazy with punctuation, a keyboard that is virtual along with having a common cold and my mother died last week leaving me nothing in her last breath that could only be described as a beautiful life and catch by that receiver in Florida who had two streaks on the line between cracking jokes and butt cracks.

Chandler Harnish in 2010
Passing: 189-292, 64.7%, 2530 yds, 21 tds, 5 ints, 194.6 ypg
Rushing: 137 att., 836 yds, 7 tds, 64.3 ypg

Get close to the ground production MN's had the last two years and get Harnish type play, just give Minnesota the BT West.

Yes, I'm sick of Kill still referencing Harnish but darn, that's as good a year as any MN qb has had in a long time (Cupito in 2006, AAK in 2003 may be comparable in recent history)

Played in the MAC, not the B1G. Mitch is not fast enough to consistently run against upper level defenses.

When it comes to Leidner, Kill should have Fox Mulder's poster in his office: "I want to believe." I want to believe, too, but he's going to have to prove he can be consistent. Blowing out Iowa with a near perfect performance doesn't do much good when you come back in subsequent games and completely stink.

Perra needs to be allowed to compete for the job. He's the type of passer a modern program needs. I was talking with the dad of one of my daughter's teammates, who's a friend of the Perra's. This guy claims he was trying to convince Mr. Perra to entertain the option of Jacques transferring so he can get some playing time. The family is convinced he'll be given an even shot at the job next year and beyond, so by all accounts he'll stay at Minnesota for the time being. At least that's the story I got second hand. I for one am not convinced he's going to get that even shot.
Your friend is an idiot to inject himself into their business. Sounds like he might be a D2 coach, or a d2 coach's brother.
I expect Perra to be the second team QB next season and actually give Leidner a run for his money in 2016. The idea this staff just wants to run the ball 75% of the time is silly. No one has the talent to do that successfully 75% of the time against good teams.
We ran it 70% of the time because 1) We had bad protection at the start of the season, 2) our QB is just learning how to read progressions, and 3) our WR corps was better at blocking than running routes.

Your friend is an idiot to inject himself into their business. Sounds like he might be a D2 coach, or a d2 coach's brother.
I expect Perra to be the second team QB next season and actually give Leidner a run for his money in 2016. The idea this staff just wants to run the ball 75% of the time is silly. No one has the talent to do that successfully 75% of the time against good teams.
We ran it 70% of the time because 1) We had bad protection at the start of the season, 2) our QB is just learning how to read progressions, and 3) our WR corps was better at blocking than running routes.

Georgia Tech runs at least 75% of the time and has won multiple division and conference championships in a major conference.

FBS Team Passing Attempts

125. Army, 105
124. Navy, 130
123. New Mexico, 149
122. Georgia Tech, 203
121. Air Force, 206
120. Boston College, 243
119. Minnesota, 254

Once again, you place yourself among the biggest ignoramuses here, a true feat indeed. Just quit while you're way, way behind. I can ask my 3-year-old daughter if she'll participate in a football trivia quiz bowl with you. That way, you can prove to yourself that there is someone in the world who knows less about football than you do.
Doesn't that kinda make my point? So we threw the ball the 7th fewest times my bad. When you search far and wide for your stats to try and prove a point you generally are more on point I'm disappointed.

Since you want me to lay it out.... You are implying that Kill is lying to the fans, media, and players. You are saying that behind closed doors Kill is telling the coaches he wants to run more even as our passing talent improves. Not very believable, but the best is still to come. Now, one of the coaches is supposedly breaking confidence and telling this info to you (Indi1006) or someone close to you. Then, you or this person close to you is close enough to be told this info from a coach, yet thinks so little of them that you turn right around and post it on GH. Sorry Pal - not buying it. AND I haven't even gotten in to your history on this board and what that says about the possibility this is true. We all see your other posts Indi - we all know what your about. I conservatively put the chances you have this inside info at 0%.

Now, your follow ups so far have been a)you know nothing about football. Yeah, football knowledge applies zero to your statement that Kill wants to run even more; and b)if we run a lot against non-TCU non-conf opponents then that proves you are right. Yeah, that would prove nothing about your statement and is actually quite predictable. These are hedge statements in every sense of the word.

I'm being kind, but you get the point. Your post was BS, you know it, I know it, the posters here know it, AJ Barker's Mom's best friend knows it, and DP's daughter knows it. You were trying to stir trouble as you usually do. That in itself is OK, but to then sit here and try to defend your drivel as true inside info is quite irritating to the rest of us.
I could almost answer the whole post with one word; yes. Kill makes no bones about the fact that in his perfect world he'd run the ball down the opponents throat every game. If we can run the ball next year as he wants to it wouldn't matter if Jerry Rice in his prime was on our squad we will pound the rock. Time will tell. I just want to win big games and am not convinced our game plans and offensive strategy and philosophy has and or will help us do that. It'll keep Kill, et al employed since he'll win 7, 8 or nine games a year but the big, signature wins will be few and far between without some philosophical changes.

Georgia Tech runs at least 75% of the time and has won multiple division and conference championships in a major conference.

Running the triple option with a dynamic runner at QB and 6.1 ypc to our 4.7 with that schemes genius running the show. Awful comparison or example. We either need to run the ball way better or balance things out or we will plateau as a perennially slightly above average B1G team.

Running the triple option with a dynamic runner at QB and 6.1 ypc to our 4.7 with that schemes genius running the show. Awful comparison or example. We either need to run the ball way better or balance things out or we will plateau as a perennially slightly above average B1G team.

It's an excellent comparison. The philosophies are similar. Georgia Tech is #1 in rushing yards, Minnesota is #32. Georgia Tech is #119 in passing yards, Minnesota is #121. #32 isn't bad. Of course the Gophers need to get better in order to be better, that's obvious. But that doesn't indicate there is anything wrong with the philosophy.

It's an excellent comparison. The philosophies are similar. Georgia Tech is #1 in rushing yards, Minnesota is #32. Georgia Tech is #119 in passing yards, Minnesota is #121. #32 isn't bad. Of course the Gophers need to get better in order to be better, that's obvious. But that doesn't indicate there is anything wrong with the philosophy.

6.1 YPC to 4.7 is a monstrous difference and it's the reason why they can get away with pretty much strickly pounding the ball even against higher end competition and we maybe can't as much. I would suggest you take a peek at their triple option QB vs. our read option QB and you may change your opinion. While their passing stats are close in every category but for TDs where GT has quite a few more, there is absolutely zero comparison in their running skill sets. Their QB puts fear in the opponent on the run game, ours not so much either in the pass or run game.

Minnesota rushing:
2011: 63
2012: 64
2013: 36
2012: 32

#32 isn't Georgia Tech's #1, but it isn't bad at all. The Gophers rushing game has a improved over the past four seasons, and it is not a foregone conclusion that it can't improve further. You haven't backed up your assertion that the Gophers offensive philosophy of being a run-heavy team is flawed.

Indi has changed his argument. Now he is saying we need to get better running or improve on the pass. So true, but so different than "I have inside info that Kill tells players one thing but tells coaches in secret that he wants to run more no matter how good our pass game talent is."

Indi has changed his argument. Now he is saying we need to get better running or improve on the pass. So true, but so different than "I have inside info that Kill tells players one thing but tells coaches in secret that he wants to run more no matter how good our pass game talent is."

Stop the presses a college football coach tells his team and coaches one thing and the rest of us schmucks another. Certainly he would like his passing game to be better, but even if it is it'll be the little sisters of the poor to the running game; IMO to a fault. My point on running the ball better is if we're going to try and compare ourselves with GT, then we have a long, long ways to go as they run the ball way better than us right now. If we continue to run the ball about as we have, our passing game needs to be elevated at least to slightly above B1G average for us to compete against Wisconsin, tOSU and the the likes of Missouri.

Top Bottom