Kill on expectations of next year, QB situation and more

That all depends on Mitch between now and late August, 2015.

I STILL don't for the life of me think that this staff WANTS to play as conservative as they have over the last few years. They are working with what they have. They were NOT this conservative at previous stops and I don't think they will be when they have a QB and some players around him with whom they have some trust. They are playing a calculated, high percentage, low risk game based on what they have to work with.
Actually, the word within the program is behind closed doors the coaches talk about wanting to run the ball even more than we did this year. They see the forward pass as a necessary evil vs. something that will be unleashed if/when our talent level increases. I think our non conference games against the patsies bear this out we run, run, run when we could be working on the passing game.

Actually, the word within the program is behind closed doors the coaches talk about wanting to run the ball even more than we did this year. They see the forward pass as a necessary evil vs. something that will be unleashed if/when our talent level increases. I think our non conference games against the patsies bear this out we run, run, run when we could be working on the passing game.

We must have different informants behind the closed doors. I heard the coaches want to get rid of our RBs all together and go with100% passing next year.

South Dakota was the only program that offered Perra a scholarship, hardly a Division One prospect.
Everyone else passed including Western Michigan.
Kill gives everyone an equal chance. If Perra can prove everyone wrong, he will eventually be rewarded.

The fact that USD offered him makes him a Division One prospect.

Great, value added post.

I was always told a stupid question deserves a stupid answer. In that spirit I figured a complete BS post deserved a complete BS response. Sorry you disagree.

What a BSer you are! We all know that you have no idea what is going on with the coaches and what their plans are. I always thought your comments were off based but you seem to be out doing yourself with this post.:rolleyes:

I was always told a stupid question deserves a stupid answer. In that spirit I figured a complete BS post deserved a complete BS response. Sorry you disagree.

And how are you convinced I'm not on point? Just because you don't maybe like the info doesn't mean it's not legit. Do you have inside info that says I'm not accurate here or just that you clearly know nothing about football and/or the team makes you doubt my post. I thought DP was the guy in the band now I know you were, too. Your knowledge of football is non existent;wow.

If you have a source that actually knows that for sure fine but I actually expect to have a more balanced attack next year with the receivers we have. We'll still run it plenty but not as much as we needed to at all this year.

What a BSer you are! We all know that you have no idea what is going on with the coaches and what their plans are. I always thought your comments were off based but you seem to be out doing yourself with this post.:rolleyes:

If we throw the ball more than 10-15 times a game against our non-TCU non-conference opponents next year then you can rip me. If not, then you know nothing and I'm right. Kill is very old school he's a run the ball guy more than any coach in the country. Our lack of success with QBs and WRs so far isn't a fluke or aberration it's who he is and it permeates his program.

Kill is very old school he's a run the ball guy more than any coach in the country.

FBS Team Passing Attempts

125. Army, 105
124. Navy, 130
123. New Mexico, 149
122. Georgia Tech, 203
121. Air Force, 206
120. Boston College, 243
119. Minnesota, 254

Once again, you place yourself among the biggest ignoramuses here, a true feat indeed. Just quit while you're way, way behind. I can ask my 3-year-old daughter if she'll participate in a football trivia quiz bowl with you. That way, you can prove to yourself that there is someone in the world who knows less about football than you do.

And how are you convinced I'm not on point? Just because you don't maybe like the info doesn't mean it's not legit. Do you have inside info that says I'm not accurate here or just that you clearly know nothing about football and/or the team makes you doubt my post. I thought DP was the guy in the band now I know you were, too. Your knowledge of football is non existent;wow.

Since you want me to lay it out.... You are implying that Kill is lying to the fans, media, and players. You are saying that behind closed doors Kill is telling the coaches he wants to run more even as our passing talent improves. Not very believable, but the best is still to come. Now, one of the coaches is supposedly breaking confidence and telling this info to you (Indi1006) or someone close to you. Then, you or this person close to you is close enough to be told this info from a coach, yet thinks so little of them that you turn right around and post it on GH. Sorry Pal - not buying it. AND I haven't even gotten in to your history on this board and what that says about the possibility this is true. We all see your other posts Indi - we all know what your about. I conservatively put the chances you have this inside info at 0%.

Now, your follow ups so far have been a)you know nothing about football. Yeah, football knowledge applies zero to your statement that Kill wants to run even more; and b)if we run a lot against non-TCU non-conf opponents then that proves you are right. Yeah, that would prove nothing about your statement and is actually quite predictable. These are hedge statements in every sense of the word.

I'm being kind, but you get the point. Your post was BS, you know it, I know it, the posters here know it, AJ Barker's Mom's best friend knows it, and DP's daughter knows it. You were trying to stir trouble as you usually do. That in itself is OK, but to then sit here and try to defend your drivel as true inside info is quite irritating to the rest of us.

Since you want me to lay it out.... You are implying that Kill is lying to the fans, media, and players. You are saying that behind closed doors Kill is telling the coaches he wants to run more even as our passing talent improves. Not very believable, but the best is still to come. Now, one of the coaches is supposedly breaking confidence and telling this info to you (Indi1006) or someone close to you. Then, you or this person close to you is close enough to be told this info from a coach, yet thinks so little of them that you turn right around and post it on GH. Sorry Pal - not buying it. AND I haven't even gotten in to your history on this board and what that says about the possibility this is true. We all see your other posts Indi - we all know what your about. I conservatively put the chances you have this inside info at 0%.

Now, your follow ups so far have been a)you know nothing about football. Yeah, football knowledge applies zero to your statement that Kill wants to run even more; and b)if we run a lot against non-TCU non-conf opponents then that proves you are right. Yeah, that would prove nothing about your statement and is actually quite predictable. These are hedge statements in every sense of the word.

I'm being kind, but you get the point. Your post was BS, you know it, I know it, the posters here know it, AJ Barker's Mom's best friend knows it, and DP's daughter knows it. You were trying to stir trouble as you usually do. That in itself is OK, but to then sit here and try to defend your drivel as true inside info is quite irritating to the rest of us.

Well done. That should be the end of Indi....

He's attempting to make the line of questioning disappear by responding with concerns that aren't legitimate. We didn't need to drop back and throw down the field. We needed to gain about 30 yards of field position in around a minute and with 3 full timeouts. We could've run about 4 or 5 plays in that span of time, so 8-10 yard routes would've been just fine. There's no justifiable reason to not go for at least a field goal. He pulled the same nonsense in the Wisconsin game and handed the momentum to the opposition both times by doing so.

+1000

That's exactly what a period does.

Wrong. Most run on sentences end in a period.

A run-on is a sentence in which two or more independent clauses (i.e., complete sentences) are joined without appropriate punctuation or conjunction.

Simply counting sentences within a paragraph does not prove or disprove the existence of a run on sentence.

Wrong. Most run on sentences end in a period.

Simply counting sentences within a paragraph does not prove or disprove the existence of a run on sentence.

LOL. This is a silly discussion, even for GH. I will do better in the future.

FSN's Tyler Mason weighs in:

Q: Does Demry Croft have a chance to beat out Mitch Leidner for QB position next season or at least split time? -- Zach, New Ulm, Minn.

A: I don't see it. Yes, Croft -- a three-star recruit -- is a talented quarterback. And as a dual threat, he's certainly an intriguing prospect for the future. But let's not forget he'll be a true freshman this season if (and that's a big if) he plays. I can't see Jerry Kill starting a true freshman at quarterback; it's not his way of doing things.

I think Leidner will head to spring ball and fall camp as the starter, and it'll be his job to lose. I know Gophers fans have been frustrated with his play throughout the season, but he did bounce back to have a nice game in the Citrus Bowl and tied the school record for most consecutive completions (14) in that game. Don't rule out Chris Streveler as someone who could give Leidner some competition, given that Streveler does have some (albeit not much) Division I experience. And Minnesota also has Jacques Perra on the roster; he'll be a redshirt freshman in 2015. It may be in the best interest of both Croft and the Gophers for him to redshirt in his first year at Minnesota.

http://www.foxsports.com/north/story/tyler-mason-s-jan-7-minnesota-gophers-mailbag-010715

Go Gophers!!

LOL. This is a silly discussion, even for GH. I will do better in the future.
Agreed. I don't even know if you have run on sentences. I'm far from a grammar nazi, just found your response funny.

Here is what I think. I keep remembering Kill's teams at Northern Illinois. they were a run-first team, but they had a varied offense, using the QB run and the pass along with running by the RB's. When Kill was hired, I had the impression that those teams were the blueprint for what the Gophers would look like once Kill and his staff had the players they wanted and needed to make the system work.

People get hung up on systems, or X's and O's - but in the end, it comes down to having the players. Any offense can look dynamic if you have dynamic athletes running it. And, any offense can look anemic if you don't have the athletes.

Kill claims the offense will be better next year. Let's see if he's right.

Here is what I think. I keep remembering Kill's teams at Northern Illinois. they were a run-first team, but they had a varied offense, using the QB run and the pass along with running by the RB's. When Kill was hired, I had the impression that those teams were the blueprint for what the Gophers would look like once Kill and his staff had the players they wanted and needed to make the system work.

People get hung up on systems, or X's and O's - but in the end, it comes down to having the players. Any offense can look dynamic if you have dynamic athletes running it. And, any offense can look anemic if you don't have the athletes.

Kill claims the offense will be better next year. Let's see if he's right.

this is spot on. If you look at Kill's history, all his teams run 65%-70% of the time. The only time it got more "pass happy" was his first 2yrs at UMN, where we were playing from behind so much and forced to pass. We got to a whopping 39% pass plays.

I don't think we necessarily need to pass more, but instead pass more effectively. I expect Colorado State to sell out against the run. If the Gophers passing game is more effective, teams that sell out against the run will get punished through the air.

Chandler Harnish in 2010
Passing: 189-292, 64.7%, 2530 yds, 21 tds, 5 ints, 194.6 ypg
Rushing: 137 att., 836 yds, 7 tds, 64.3 ypg

Get close to the ground production MN's had the last two years and get Harnish type play, just give Minnesota the BT West.

Yes, I'm sick of Kill still referencing Harnish but darn, that's as good a year as any MN qb has had in a long time (Cupito in 2006, AAK in 2003 may be comparable in recent history)

Chandler Harnish in 2010
Passing: 189-292, 64.7%, 2530 yds, 21 tds, 5 ints, 194.6 ypg
Rushing: 137 att., 836 yds, 7 tds, 64.3 ypg

Get close to the ground production MN's had the last two years and get Harnish type play, just give Minnesota the BT West.

Yes, I'm sick of Kill still referencing Harnish but darn, that's as good a year as any MN qb has had in a long time (Cupito in 2006, AAK in 2003 may be comparable in recent history)

I always get a chuckle when I see Harnish's stat line from our 2010 game.
Harnish for the day:
11/17 81 yards and 2 TD
The running game was outstanding that year though.
That offense in total rushed for 3645 yards and 42 TDs, 8 guys with over 100 yards rushing on the season. 5 had over 200 yards.

I don't think we necessarily need to pass more, but instead pass more effectively. I expect Colorado State to sell out against the run. If the Gophers passing game is more effective, teams that sell out against the run will get punished through the air.

This is what I have been saying for a long time. I say we keep running until the other team shows they can stop it. However, eventually we will run into a team that will be able to stop our running attack if they focus solely on it. At that point, we need an accurate passer to consistently hit the open guys until they either (a) have to start respecting the pass and back off defending the run or (b) stubbornly stick to selling out against the run while we burn them through the air.

Top Bottom