Kill, Limegrover and Claeys

Limegrover is. He said that he was surprised that it was difficult to run against Iowa. Really? What, he thought is was going to be easy? This guy does not have a clue about how overmatched we are in big 10 play. I guess that's why he calls such boneheaded plays.

The real problem is a fan base which thinks a total rebuild of the program would only take 2.5 years.

Bad showing today. No doubt about it. But, we'll be fine.

Let's not give Claeys a pass today, either. He was awful; probably in this one game a bit more awful than Limegrover. He got burned for long plays that either led to or were TDs in the first half on calls where the OC for Iowa made him his beatch, and then played way too conservative in the second half on 3rd and long. Just a bad overall day for our coaching staff.
Our defensive problems are on the players. Those big plays were on our LB's and execution.

The real problem is a fan base which thinks a total rebuild of the program would only take 2.5 years.

Bad showing today. No doubt about it. But, we'll be fine.

No. It is about having coaches that can come up with an offensive game plan that a high school coach could not defend. We do not have that right now.

I have to believe the conservative nature of Limegrover's play calling is coming from the top. The last offensive series of the first half convinced me that Jerry is just as much a part of the conservative game plan as Limegrover. While I understood being conservative at that juncture, I didn't like it. However, that wasn't nearly as stunning as Jerry going home with three timeouts in his pocket. That was inexcusable. He easily could have used them on 2nd and 7 with about three minutes to go. Even when that went awry, I would have used them with a minute to go. For crying out loud, Hageman could have blown up a play at any moment leading to a turnover. In the end, he showed zero confidence in the defense and the whole team had to be thinking what the heck?!?

I was excited that we got Kill when the big names didn't land here. However, have we out-coached a team yet? Have we won as an underdog? Some may say the Iowa 2011 game, but I still believe that was more about being lucky with the trick play and onside kick being the game changing plays. Besides, what team gets gashed for 252 yards rushing and you leaving thinking that was a good showing?

I have to believe the conservative nature of Limegrover's play calling is coming from the top. The last offensive series of the first half convinced me that Jerry is just as much a part of the conservative game plan as Limegrover. While I understood being conservative at that juncture, I didn't like it. However, that wasn't nearly as stunning as Jerry going home with three timeouts in his pocket. That was inexcusable. He easily could have used them on 2nd and 7 with about three minutes to go. Even when that went awry, I would have used them with a minute to go. For crying out loud, Hageman could have blown up a play at any moment leading to a turnover. In the end, he showed zero confidence in the defense and the whole team had to be thinking what the heck?!?

I was excited that we got Kill when the big names didn't land here. However, have we out-coached a team yet? Have we won as an underdog? Some may say the Iowa 2011 game, but I still believe that was more about being lucky with the trick play and onside kick being the game changing plays. Besides, what team gets gashed for 252 yards rushing and you leaving thinking that was a good showing?

I wasn't too upset at not using the timeouts. It was an awkward situation because you can tell he was trying to save them for a 3rd down but Iowa kept getting big gains on 1st so you don't really want to waste a timeout on a 2nd & 3 when they're getting 4-5 yards every run...

No. It is about having coaches that can come up with an offensive game plan that a high school coach could not defend. We do not have that right now.

Our QB played like ass today and didn't have a whole lot of help from his receivers. I can't imagine how bad the carnage would have been if we had tried to open it up.

Our QB played like ass today and didn't have a whole lot of help from his receivers. I can't imagine how bad the carnage would have been if we had tried to open it up.

You mean the receivers didn't have a lot of help from their QB...

Who cares if we lose by 1 point or 40 points? If the conservative, plodding offensive gameplan isn't getting it done (which should have been quite obvious to the coaching staff) then you need to change it up! If you're down 17 at half, your thought process shouldn't be "I can't open it up cuz we'll lose by 40.." it should be, "What do we need to do to get back in this game?" The coaching staff AND the players failed today. Man, do I hate losing to Iowa.

Anybody ever think that they might be reading too much into one bad game? A week ago we were legit. Now we need to fire our coaches and play a freshman qb. If we beat Michigan then we will swing the other way. I get it. The coaching was poor today. Nelson was horrible. That was only the beginning of what went wrong. Maybe, just maybe, better times are ahead of us this year. Stand by your team. Give them a break. It is just one (bad) game.

Who cares if we lose by 1 point or 40 points? If the conservative, plodding offensive gameplan isn't getting it done (which should have been quite obvious to the coaching staff) then you need to change it up! If you're down 17 at half, your thought process shouldn't be "I can't open it up cuz we'll lose by 40.." it should be, "What do we need to do to get back in this game?" The coaching staff AND the players failed today. Man, do I hate losing to Iowa.

Exactly. It was clear that we were not going to be able to run on Iowa. Even if we can't complete passes because Nelson sucks, just the fact that we are throwing the ball makes it look like the the coaching staff is thinking outside the box. This constant conservative play is not going to get it done and the fans will not stop going to the games.

The reality is we got back into the game. Your last sentence is what is causing the most consternation tonight. :)

Not sure how much more I can take. I might even be in favor of removing the comma from this thread's title.

I can't imagine what would have happened if the QB had tried to put the ball somewhere where a Receiver had a reasonable chance to catch it. Know that a QB's ability to run the ball is REAL important to Team Kill when they are recruiting a kid.

The question is do they even care if he can complete a Pass or do they "train that out of them" when they get 'um on campus?

The reality is we got back into the game. Your last sentence is what is causing the most consternation tonight. :)

Are you talking about MN's game against Iowa? Really? Why, because we were within 2 scores at one point? We never had a chance. Iowa knew it was over at halftime. All they had to do was run the ball and not turn it over. If you really think we got back into this game, I guess I understand why you think we will be ok; you are seeing things through maroon and gold colored glasses.

We got back into the game thanks to our special teams...our lone score came when the offense started on the Iowa 35 which got us to back to "only" being down two scores. And yes, a loss to Iowa stings way more than a loss to say Ohio State...but the logic behind my argument stands alone to my consternation.

The one stat I can't get past is 30 yards rushing. If you'd asked me what the Gophers rushing total would be playing Alabama at home I'd have said more than 30 yards. Also hard to put too much on the D. I think if the Gophers get 110 yards on the ground in this game, the D yields 100 less yards overall - a respectable 300 total.

Are you talking about MN's game against Iowa? Really? Why, because we were within 2 scores at one point? We never had a chance. Iowa knew it was over at halftime. All they had to do was run the ball and not turn it over. If you really think we got back into this game, I guess I understand why you think we will be ok; you are seeing things through maroon and gold colored glasses.

We were down 13 with the ball early in the 4th quarter. I believe we were close to midfield and Nelson badly overthrew a wide open Engel on 3rd down. If he hits him on stride, I think he scores and it is a 6-point game. I would classify that as being "in the game".

I don't buy the "Iowa knew they had the game won so they weren't trying very hard" some people are insinuating.

We got back into the game thanks to our special teams...our lone score came when the offense started on the Iowa 35 which got us to back to "only" being down two scores.

Are special teams not handled by this coaching staff, too?

Listen - I expected us to win this game and was pretty stunned to see this stinker against what I believe to be a pretty ordinary Iowa team. But, I'm not panicking. I also thought the previous comment by somebody in this thread about Kill firing Limegrover was pretty funny. Yup ... he's gonna can a guy who's been with him for 20 years over this game. Good stuff.

We were down 13 with the ball early in the 4th quarter. I believe we were close to midfield and Nelson badly overthrew a wide open Engel on 3rd down. If he hits him on stride, I think he scores and it is a 6-point game. I would classify that as being "in the game".

I don't buy the "Iowa knew they had the game won so they weren't trying very hard" some people are insinuating.

Thank you. We had a couple of chances for big plays on that drive. I would have liked to have seen what would have happened if we had pulled within one score.

Thank you. We had a couple of chances for big plays on that drive. I would have liked to have seen what would have happened if we had pulled within one score.

If we had scored more td's than Iowa we would have won. We can make a lot of statements that begin with "if" that would have made the game close. I will admit, there was about 2 minutes where I thought possibly the Gophers may alleviate the embarrassment of this game by making a comeback, but that was for about 2 minutes. Overall, this offense (more specifically Limegrover) did not show me anything to really think we could mount a come back from 17 points down, especially when we were shut out in the first half.

The punter was pretty good today and so was Engle....

If we had scored more td's than Iowa we would have won. We can make a lot of statements that begin with "if" that would have made the game close. I will admit, there was about 2 minutes where I thought possibly the Gophers may alleviate the embarrassment of this game by making a comeback, but that was for about 2 minutes. Overall, this offense (more specifically Limegrover) did not show me anything to really think we could mount a come back from 17 points down, especially when we were shut out in the first half.

I guess we just have different opinions of what "being in the game" means. I consider having a great opportunity to get within 6 points as still being in the game.

I also thought the previous comment by somebody in this thread about Kill firing Limegrover was pretty funny. Yup ... he's gonna can a guy who's been with him for 20 years over this game. Good stuff.

If you think this one game is what's causing people to question Limegrover, the play calling and the coaching, you haven't been watching Gopher football. The play calling has been pathetically predictable since 2011. And outside the weak non-conference games it's been pretty ineffective.

Kill doesn't have to fire Limegrover. He has the option of taking control of it and coming up with a game plan that is competitive at the B1G level. But he hasn't done that yet, 30 games in.

Here's a number for Coach Kill Nelson has now started 7 Big 10 games and we have won 2. If its Big 10 experience that was the deciding factor then I don't understand a 28% winning percent being the answer. He had not played for 2 weeks, and it could be rust or....... a demonstrated inability to win.

One thing I noticed as watched Georgia vs. LSU on tape. The both have full backs about 6'2 and 270. That makes me think, what would be harm in putting a 46 jersey on Tommy Olson.

The one stat I can't get past is 30 yards rushing. If you'd asked me what the Gophers rushing total would be playing Alabama at home I'd have said more than 30 yards. Also hard to put too much on the D. I think if the Gophers get 110 yards on the ground in this game, the D yields 100 less yards overall - a respectable 300 total.

It was pretty obvious from the first four games that an efficient productive passing attack was not in the cards for this year, not sure what the coaching staff could do when the offensive line gets completely dominated like they did today, without massive improvement in the offensive line I just don't see how a B1G win is going to happen.

If you think this one game is what's causing people to question Limegrover, the play calling and the coaching, you haven't been watching Gopher football. The play calling has been pathetically predictable since 2011. And outside the weak non-conference games it's been pretty ineffective.

You've only been watching Kill and Limegrover for 2.5 years. I've been watching them for more than a decade. Nobody's ever said this staff comes from the Chip Kelly philosophy tree. They can be pretty predictable with their offensive calls. However, when they get all of their pieces in place (and it hasn't happened yet) we'll be more than respectable on offense.

You've only been watching Kill and Limegrover for 2.5 years. I've been watching them for more than a decade. Nobody's ever said this staff comes from the Chip Kelly philosophy tree. They can be pretty predictable with their offensive calls. However, when they get all of their pieces in place (and it hasn't happened yet) we'll be more than respectable on offense.

Sorry to say man, but we live in a "what have you done for me lately world". If they go ofer or 1-7 this year in b10 play and do not show vast improvement next year, Jerry and the boys will have to find another directional school in Illinois to coach for.

The play calling reminded me of the USC game when Brewster was the coach. We ran the ball up the middle the whole game when the announcer commented do we have any other plays in the book.

The play calling reminded me of the USC game when Brewster was the coach. We ran the ball up the middle the whole game when the announcer commented do we have any other plays in the book.

Brewster coached like he was playing a game of Madden. I hated when he switched his Offensive philosophy to being a Power Running team when you've been recruiting for the spread. He just kept trying to sell that "Pound The Rock!" crap when we couldn't even average 2 yards a run...

I hope Kill sees today that some changes need to be made in the gameplan...

Top Bottom