Kill, Limegrover and Claeys

Indi1006

Banned
Reaction score
This one is on them; almost completely but for the inaccuracy that Nelson had right at the beginning of the fourth quarter when he went haywire when we were still in the game. That wasn't good, either. Five games in a row now where we started slowly; all coaching. Claeys is generally pretty good but today he got completely worked by Iowa's OC. He's as completely responsible for two of the TDs in the first half as a DC can be, and then he's gun shy in the second half and sticks with a 3 man rush most of the time on third and long and Iowa converts every one. Terrible. Limegrover has done what since he's been here? His OL is just not that young anymore and they got killed today by an OK Iowa DL. The Iowa LBers are good, but the DL is not anything special. He needs to get it figured out; maybe get Bush in there and think about Tommy Olson but something needs to change and I don't think many of us were fooled by the non-conference performance on the ground. His play calling was terrible in the first half and really just inexcusable. He bounced back in the second half, but then Nelson went off the rails and it was too late.

What we have for a coaching staff are a bunch of plucky overacheivers who in their wildest dreams ten years ago would have never imagined that they would be in the B1G right now. Maybe they're just all in over their heads. No "signature" wins and a lot of disappointment in B1G play. I'm going to puke if Jerry hits on the "we're young" mantra today and tomorrow. Our coaches aren't young, but they got worked today and it was a miserable game from start to finish.

Punting around the Iowa 32 with a few yards to go in the lst quarter is surrender. I hate it. Then he kicks it into the end zone. GO FOR IT. The Gophers showed zero life. Where was Leidner? I'm done

I put most of the blame on Limegrover. His play calling is uninspired, unimaginative and predictable. Why even have a huddle, the team knows what we are going to run before the ball is even snapped on 80% of our plays. The fact that our offense was so predictable in the first half, really took away any chance we had at possible pulling out a win. We were no threat to Iowa during this whole game offensively. Kirk knew at halftime they had the game in the bag, which is why he played so conservatively. Why take any risks, when you know what your opponent is going to do and you have the ability to stop your opponent. I have no faith in Limegrover.

Why don't we run more jet sweeps and stuff like that? For the most part, I've defended Limgrover, but this plain, bland play calling is getting frustrating.

How about the few times we threw the little dump off pass (including the one that was intercepted in the first half) and there are two or three receivers right next to each other? Seriously, on the INT, there were two guys practically holding hands.

Why don't we run more jet sweeps and stuff like that? For the most part, I've defended Limgrover, but this plain, bland play calling is getting frustrating.

How about the few times we threw the little dump off pass (including the one that was intercepted in the first half) and there are two or three receivers right next to each other? Seriously, on the INT, there were two guys practically holding hands.

Or 5 or 6 bubble screens a game which most BCS teams seem to do nowadays, etc. How we opened the game on O was such a buzz kill and it took all our momentum away and it's so disappointing.

I believe many of us were holding our breaths in hopes that Limegrover was waiting until Big Ten season to finally open up the playbook...

Many of us were wrong. I can't believe how boring our play-calling is...

I'll be the first one to say this play calling is just about Pop Warner league quality. And maybe it is Limegrover making the calls. But doesn't it all really come down to Kill? Either he has to start making the calls or he needs to dump his buddy Limegrover. Kill may be a great guy. But I'm not convinced he's a B1G quality coach. We see the same things from this coaching staff. All sorts of bluster about improvement when we're beating community college teams in non-conference play but then embarrassing B1G loss after loss.

I'll be the first one to say this play calling is just about Pop Warner league quality. And maybe it is Limegrover making the calls. But doesn't it all really come down to Kill? Either he has to start making the calls or he needs to dump his buddy Limegrover. Kill may be a great guy. But I'm not convinced he's a B1G quality coach. We see the same things from this coaching staff. All sorts of bluster about improvement when we're beating community college teams in non-conference play but then embarrassing B1G loss after loss.

Yes it does. I like Kill, but I don't like losing more. Kill either needs to tell Limegrover to open up the play book or fire him. If this crap offense keeps showing up every week, I will watch my gophers under protest! (I will never stop being a gopher fan!)

Simple solution is to get the coaching staff from Northern Illinois, they pounded a good B1G Purdue team. Oh wait, we've already been there and done that and frankly Purdue isn't all that good, but I wish we were playing them this year. Also, I don't remember hearing a lot of "bluster" from Kill at all. He has said the team is faster and also that they need to get stronger, but bluster I have never heard. IMO

NAILED IT!

This one is on them; almost completely but for the inaccuracy that Nelson had right at the beginning of the fourth quarter when he went haywire when we were still in the game. That wasn't good, either. Five games in a row now where we started slowly; all coaching. Claeys is generally pretty good but today he got completely worked by Iowa's OC. He's as completely responsible for two of the TDs in the first half as a DC can be, and then he's gun shy in the second half and sticks with a 3 man rush most of the time on third and long and Iowa converts every one. Terrible. Limegrover has done what since he's been here? His OL is just not that young anymore and they got killed today by an OK Iowa DL. The Iowa LBers are good, but the DL is not anything special. He needs to get it figured out; maybe get Bush in there and think about Tommy Olson but something needs to change and I don't think many of us were fooled by the non-conference performance on the ground. His play calling was terrible in the first half and really just inexcusable. He bounced back in the second half, but then Nelson went off the rails and it was too late.

What we have for a coaching staff are a bunch of plucky overacheivers who in their wildest dreams ten years ago would have never imagined that they would be in the B1G right now. Maybe they're just all in over their heads. No "signature" wins and a lot of disappointment in B1G play. I'm going to puke if Jerry hits on the "we're young" mantra today and tomorrow. Our coaches aren't young, but they got worked today and it was a miserable game from start to finish.

I am going to incorporate this into my my "Kill ain't that good" stump speech- this is spot on, in my opinion.
I got a bad feeling about this game when I saw how bad SJSU was getting worked Friday night.
Hard to believe we've regressed in year 3, but its looking that way.

The offense was horrible and predictable, but maybe that's because he knows his QB can't deliver a good ball.

I am going to incorporate this into my my "Kill ain't that good" stump speech- this is spot on, in my opinion.
I got a bad feeling about this game when I saw how bad SJSU was getting worked Friday night.
Hard to believe we've regressed in year 3, but its looking that way.

San Jose got stomped last night by an average Utah St. team. At it was a home game.

Kill has 19 more games at Minnesota, almost for sure. My guess is he needs to win 10 of them...

This one is on them; almost completely but for the inaccuracy that Nelson had right at the beginning of the fourth quarter when he went haywire when we were still in the game. That wasn't good, either. Five games in a row now where we started slowly; all coaching. Claeys is generally pretty good but today he got completely worked by Iowa's OC. He's as completely responsible for two of the TDs in the first half as a DC can be, and then he's gun shy in the second half and sticks with a 3 man rush most of the time on third and long and Iowa converts every one. Terrible. Limegrover has done what since he's been here? His OL is just not that young anymore and they got killed today by an OK Iowa DL. The Iowa LBers are good, but the DL is not anything special. He needs to get it figured out; maybe get Bush in there and think about Tommy Olson but something needs to change and I don't think many of us were fooled by the non-conference performance on the ground. His play calling was terrible in the first half and really just inexcusable. He bounced back in the second half, but then Nelson went off the rails and it was too late. What we have for a coaching staff are a bunch of plucky overacheivers who in their wildest dreams ten years ago would have never imagined that they would be in the B1G right now. Maybe they're just all in over their heads. No "signature" wins and a lot of disappointment in B1G play. I'm going to puke if Jerry hits on the "we're young" mantra today and tomorrow. Our coaches aren't young, but they got worked today and it was a miserable game from start to finish.

Who gets credit for the halftime adjustments during the first 4 games. Albeit lesser competition but today isn't ALL on coaching. Kill isn't controlling Nelson's accuracy with a joystick. A bad loss.. Overreaction across gopherhole? Absolutely considering how the Legends division looks this year. Beat Michigan and we all forget about this game. Chances of beating Michigan? Not good but probably our best chance of beating Michigan in years. There's enough negativity about Gopher Football and Gopherhole doesn't need to add to it.

Who gets credit for the halftime adjustments during the first 4 games. Albeit lesser competition but today isn't ALL on coaching. Kill isn't controlling Nelson's accuracy with a joystick. A bad loss.. Overreaction across gopherhole? Absolutely considering how the Legends division looks this year. Beat Michigan and we all forget about this game. Chances of beating Michigan? Not good but probably our best chance of beating Michigan in years. There's enough negativity about Gopher Football and Gopherhole doesn't need to add to it.

Those were four bad teams the games should have been over by halftime. The fact that we layed an egg pretty much in all of them in the first half is much worse than what good we could glean from half time adjustments.

Where is the offensive play calling we had against TT in the bowl game? We also should have passed some in the NC games to help prepare us. Not a good game plan today and we didn't adjust well either. I have to agree I am doubting Limegrover right now.

Those were four bad teams the games should have been over by halftime. The fact that we layed an egg pretty much in all of them in the first half is much worse than what good we could glean from half time adjustments.

I swear, at time I feel like we are the only team that cannot just blow out a clearly inferior opponent or complete long passes. Although we won our 4 non-conference games this season, we did not handle them like USU did with SJSU. We always have to struggle. I think the big reason for that is Limegrover calls a very predictable offense so we are a very easy team to prepare for. Hence, teams this season were able to hang with us for the first half and then our size took over in the second half. However, as everyone knows, that does not work in the big 10.

Let's not give Claeys a pass today, either. He was awful; probably in this one game a bit more awful than Limegrover. He got burned for long plays that either led to or were TDs in the first half on calls where the OC for Iowa made him his beatch, and then played way too conservative in the second half on 3rd and long. Just a bad overall day for our coaching staff.

I swear, at time I feel like we are the only team that cannot just blow out a clearly inferior opponent or complete long passes. Although we won our 4 non-conference games this season, we did not handle them like USU did with SJSU. We always have to struggle. I think the big reason for that is Limegrover calls a very predictable offense so we are a very easy team to prepare for. Hence, teams this season were able to hang with us for the first half and then our size took over in the second half. However, as everyone knows, that does not work in the big 10.

Watching that SJSU-USU game last night had me really 2nd guessing our "big" win against SJSU. I guess that mentally prepared me just in case we looked awful against Iowa...

I've been on the fence whether or not I thought that this coaching staff could succeed at this level. After today I don't seen this coaching staff succeeding unless they change the schemes of their offense and defense. Offensively Limegrover has been downright terrible all year. We are just too predictable and their is no imagination to his play calling. Defensively Claeys should have known they were going to run that lead off tackle play all game, but yet there was no adjustment. He needs to move those d-ends closer to the d-tackle. It just creates natural running lanes. We are built to play against spread teams and that's not what the Big Ten is. It's a big physical power conference where you win the games in the trenches. And were not built to win a game that way.

Maybe one of the main reasons the staff has been loyal to Kill is because they haven't had any better opportunities to leave. From what I have seen it doesn't surprise me that the helmet schools aren't knocking down their doors to offer them coordinator jobs or head jobs at MAC schools.

The Wis/OSU game is a great example of a coaching staff adjusting the game plan to avoid being predictable. Wis. has more or less abandoned the run against OSU, knowing that OSU would expect Wis. to run. Now that is a coachign staff that knows how to make appropriate adjustments. I do not see Limegrover or Kill making these kind of adjustments. As a result, I do not see us improving with this coaching staff.

All of our coaches are in over their
heads!!
I believe many of us were holding our breaths in hopes that Limegrover was waiting until Big Ten season to finally open up the playbook...

Many of us were wrong. I can't believe how boring our play-calling is...

I don't necessarily agree that our coaches are in over their heads or whatever, but I do agree that this loss was completely on them, especially Limegrover. Like several others on this board, I was desperately hoping we were waiting to open up the playbook in the B1G. Nope!

Up to this point (i.e. the 1st 2 seasons), I've generally thought the play calling was decent. At times in certain games I've been disappointed, but most games I thought it was reasonable. But this year - YUCK! Those 1st 2 drives: Run up the middle, Run up the middle, try a pass, punt. I'm not saying go nuts and try a 50 yard bomb on first down, but c'mon: try a screen pass, bubble screen, quick slant, something! I was listening to the post-game radio w/Limegrover and they asked him if he was surprised that they weren't able to run on Iowa better. He said yes. Points for honesty, but what the heck are we paying this guy for if he honestly believed we were going to be able to run on Iowa? We couldn't run on W Illinois, SJSU, NMSU, or UNLV! Our numbers looked good in the end against those teams because by the 2nd half we worn them down with our size/strength advantage, but the scouting report coming in was Iowa had a pretty decent front 7.

It's going to be a brutal last 7 games to watch if this play calling doesn't change.

I don't necessarily agree that our coaches are in over their heads or whatever, but I do agree that this loss was completely on them, especially Limegrover. Like several others on this board, I was desperately hoping we were waiting to open up the playbook in the B1G. Nope!

Up to this point (i.e. the 1st 2 seasons), I've generally thought the play calling was decent. At times in certain games I've been disappointed, but most games I thought it was reasonable. But this year - YUCK! Those 1st 2 drives: Run up the middle, Run up the middle, try a pass, punt. I'm not saying go nuts and try a 50 yard bomb on first down, but c'mon: try a screen pass, bubble screen, quick slant, something! I was listening to the post-game radio w/Limegrover and they asked him if he was surprised that they weren't able to run on Iowa better. He said yes. Points for honesty, but what the heck are we paying this guy for if he honestly believed we were going to be able to run on Iowa? We couldn't run on W Illinois, SJSU, NMSU, or UNLV! Our numbers looked good in the end against those teams because by the 2nd half we worn them down with our size/strength advantage, but the scouting report coming in was Iowa had a pretty decent front 7.

It's going to be a brutal last 7 games to watch if this play calling doesn't change.

Fire Limegrover!

I wasn't sure if Limegrover was calling the plays or Bill Musgrave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

How come the "Coaches see them everyday, watch film, etc." excuse works to justify Nelson over Leidner, but not for the coordinator putting the team in the best position to win?

This staff is not in over its heads.

Limegrover is. He said that he was surprised that it was difficult to run against Iowa. Really? What, he thought is was going to be easy? This guy does not have a clue about how overmatched we are in big 10 play. I guess that's why he calls such boneheaded plays.

Top Bottom