Kill/Claeys/Limegrover presser notes - Kill "Northwestern wanted it more than we did"

GopherLady

Reaction score
Kill/Claeys/Limegrover presser notes - Kill "Northwestern wanted it more than we did"

As always, here are my notes typed live, not verbatim.

Jerry Kill
• Purdue was physical against MSU. They were a team similar to us a few years ago, they're getting better. You don't play MSU like that, they were physical.
• We all contribute, we all work together, we're a unique group. It's tough. I just got off the BT call, and a guy from NE asked me about all the injuries. It's more about how we're going to solve things right now. We've been in there grinding and thinking…it's disappointing, we've all got pride.
• We sat there and went play by play by play (reviewing the film). We have breakdowns. I held everyone accountable, it wasn't a yelling session. It was "what's your 1st step, where were you going?" We spent all of our time in this room, that was different.
• We're going to have to put our heads together and get it worked out. We've all stayed positive.
• They watch film by position group typically, this week, they did it as a team. That way, you don't point fingers, as everyone had a breakdown.
• We've got 2 great running backs that are freshman, KJ Maye is great. We're throwing the ball 35 times a game, that's now who I am, that's not who we are.
• When things aren't going your way, you need to have something good happen before you get back on track. We've got to have some success to get us rolling. We've got to get healthy. You can't come in here in and beat them, they're beat up enough. Our kids care. This is still early in the season.
• His expectation coming into the season for the QB position - win.
• Mitch, the whole group together has made a mistake together, here, here, here. We've got a ton of things to work out right now.
• I'm doing a poor job coaching, a lot of people feel that way, right now…they're right.
• I know I’ve got to do a better job and we’ve got to do a better job…we take it serious. We’ve got to do better.
• I’m not going to make any comments at QB. Nobody needs to know about that, we don’t need to tell everybody what we’re going to do
• Kill jokingly saying to Joe C - Sometimes you have your articles, and sometimes they're probably not very good.
• I've been more motivated this week than I have been all year, because I'm not happy.
• The biggest disappointment I had that I told our kids…Northwestern wanted it more than we did. You could tell on the sidelines. We had all that juice during the TCU game.
• This game reminded me of the Illinois game.
• Sid: Northwestern was a better football team.
Kill: Yes, they were on Saturday.

Tracy Claeys:
• Doesn't sound like he's going to get Briean Boddy-Calhoun and Damarius Travis back for Purdue. As of today, those are the kids that are practicing, that's what I was told today. I think Cody is fine, he's practicing.
• There's 3 fumbles, we didn't get any of them…it is what it is.
• The defense was "feeling sorry for yourself" in fourth quarter, but after timeout, "they bounced back."

Matt Limegrover:
• We're worried about wins, that's the single biggest thing, and scoring enough points to win - that's what's bothering us more than statistical categories. We're mulling over, what the best route is to get to that destination.
• Coach Kill has been great, he's been in there and involved, so I can work on getting the O Line squared away.
• I don't want to over simplify, but when Joe Bjorkland went down, that was a key point, because then things got shuffled around. We had to put Foster Bush in, who was only a week into working there at left guard. I'm not blaming him, that's a tough spot, but that had a lot do with it. Hopefully, getting Joe Christensen back will be good. We were at the edge, even if you kick field goals in those 1st 2 drives….
• At the end of the day, that's 2 guys before me talking to you (Kill) and we go with it. He tells us, prepare the best game plan you can to beat Purdue.
• What can Mitch do to get back on track? It's not about Mitch. He's taken a beating. We need to be better upfront. We need to help him, a lot of times, when he's trying to throw there are things in his face. We need to give him a chance to be successful. Mitch is the QB so he gets a lot of that, but it's not his fault in this case.

Thank you for the notes. I still love this coaching staff and have complete faith in them. I think they will get it figured out.

Thanks Nadine! Even though I watched it is always great to read your notes.

I hope in 2 months we can look back to this game as the low point. Let's get a few wins now.

You're welcome, guys. It seemed more upbeat than I thought it would be...which is what they need to get these guys some confidence and motivated.

Matt Limegrover:
• We're worried about wins, that's the single biggest thing, and scoring enough points to win - that's what's bothering us more than statistical categories. We're mulling over, what the best route is to get to that destination.

Essentially the biggest issue I've had with the Kill/Limegrover era. They don't play to win, they play not to lose. So far it has worked out to beating the teams they should, and losing to the teams they should. Unfortunately this year that might mean going 1-7 or 2-6 in the B1G. It's also why they still haven't had that big upset victory over a top 10 opponent.

Northwestern wanted it more than we did.

Duff Lite wanted it more...

Thanks as always for the write-up GL. Don't get a chance to listen so always nice to get the notes so quickly.

Kill's line about not telling everybody what they are going to do at QB was kind of funny, although I understand why they don't want to commit one way or another at this point. I am guessing Purdue's defensive staff doesn't really care which guy we put back there although I am sure they would prefer Leidner simply because they have more film on him. If Croft is in there you can expect a lot of blitzing to try and rattle him early and often.

They don't play to win, they play not to lose. So far it has worked out to beating the teams they should, and losing to the teams they should. Unfortunately this year that might mean going 1-7 or 2-6 in the B1G.

Amen! The way this coaching staff is willing to waste offensive possessions is just exasperating. The decision to run out the clock at the end of the first half rather than go for a field goal in last year's bowl said it all and Kill seems to have learned nothing from being robbed of his next possession when Missouri opened the next half with an onside kick. When Kill was out two years ago you could see the offense take chances and more often than not those chances kept drives going that otherwise would have stalled.

So Christenson is expected to be back this week? That's good if true.

I was feeling a bit down on Saturday....

GopherLady's transcripts always get me back & ready to go on Tuesday....

Essentially the biggest issue I've had with the Kill/Limegrover era. They don't play to win, they play not to lose. So far it has worked out to beating the teams they should, and losing to the teams they should. Unfortunately this year that might mean going 1-7 or 2-6 in the B1G. It's also why they still haven't had that big upset victory over a top 10 opponent.

Specifically what does this mean? Do you want them to pass more? Not fumbling is playing "not to lose" - do you want them to fumble more? Kill coaches his teams to not make mistakes and to be in the right position at the right time. How would you coach the team?

I simply don't know what this means in terms of specific plays, formations or strategies. Perhaps you can enlighten me.

Thanks as always for the write-up GL. Don't get a chance to listen so always nice to get the notes so quickly.

Kill's line about not telling everybody what they are going to do at QB was kind of funny, although I understand why they don't want to commit one way or another at this point. I am guessing Purdue's defensive staff doesn't really care which guy we put back there although I am sure they would prefer Leidner simply because they have more film on him. If Croft is in there you can expect a lot of blitzing to try and rattle him early and often.

Well there's almost zero film on Croft and just throwing everyone up on the line worked for everyone. It probably wouldn't even change the game plan much for Purdue. But yeah you don't tell them.

They've won 10 games as an underdog in 4+ seasons. Their winning % as an underdog is 6th in the conference since 2011, so that stat suggests their strategy is slightly above average when it comes to winning games they shouldn't.

I get frustrated with the conservatism as well, but I can't deny it can be effective if you win the turnover battle and don't make special teams mistakes. The problem is, we haven't done that recently. Being aggressive has downside risk as well, some people fail to acknowledge that.

Amen! The way this coaching staff is willing to waste offensive possessions is just exasperating. The decision to run out the clock at the end of the first half rather than go for a field goal in last year's bowl said it all and Kill seems to have learned nothing from being robbed of his next possession when Missouri opened the next half with an onside kick. When Kill was out two years ago you could see the offense take chances and more often than not those chances kept drives going that otherwise would have stalled.

It also probably cost us a shot at winning in Madison last year. Kill, ironically, does not know how and when to go for the kill.

Specifically what does this mean? Do you want them to pass more? Not fumbling is playing "not to lose" - do you want them to fumble more? Kill coaches his teams to not make mistakes and to be in the right position at the right time. How would you coach the team?

I simply don't know what this means in terms of specific plays, formations or strategies. Perhaps you can enlighten me.

See bowl games, there's a reason for the lack of success.

It means exactly what beavergopher said below. They play it safe 98% of the time.

It also probably cost us a shot at winning in Madison last year. Kill, ironically, does not know how and when to go for the kill.

They've won 10 games as an underdog in 4+ seasons. Their winning % as an underdog is 6th in the conference since 2011, so that stat suggests their strategy is slightly above average when it comes to winning games they shouldn't.

I get frustrated with the conservatism as well, but I can't deny it can be effective if you win the turnover battle and don't make special teams mistakes. The problem is, we haven't done that recently. Being aggressive has downside risk as well, some people fail to acknowledge that.

Yes they have won games where they were not favored via the point spread. That's not what I'm talking about. Nebraska was not a better team than the Gophers the last two years. Neither was Michigan last year.

Kill still has not had that signature victory over a highly ranked team that is head and shoulders better than the Gophers. He has not beaten a #2 Penn State, Ohio State, or a top Wisconsin team, and much of it has to do with being too conservative. Interesting enough watching his Northern Illinois team, I thought he was more of a risk taker than what he has shown here.

For the second straight week, it starts playing several minutes after it started, so I missed the beginning. But, each week JK says something that gives me a harbinger of some of the behind-the-scenes workings of the program. Not in GL's notes was his comment about getting back to coaching his way. I may try to go back for another listen later, but I read between the lines and wasn't sure. I just wonder if he's been pulled into some of the other things that come with the position, perhaps fund-raising or the AD situation, that are certainly important, but his forte is coaching and leading this program from a football standpoint. He's charismatic and has much to offer, but we'll all feel better if he decides to coach more and the other stuff suffers for a bit.

So far it has worked out to beating the teams they should, and losing to the teams they should.

Did you forget about the multiple victories we've had when we were double-digit underdogs?

Yes they have won games where they were not favored via the point spread. That's not what I'm talking about. Nebraska was not a better team than the Gophers the last two years. Neither was Michigan last year.

I see someone else already beat me to the above question. When you get to define your own parameters, you can make it so that no one can live up to the expectations you've set. There is no perfect mechanism for deciding which is the "better" team, but betting lines are among the best proxies that exist, particularly because people are putting their own money on the line. So since neither Nebraska nor Michigan were better than the Gophers the last two years, it's safe to assume that you bet copious amounts on the Gophers in all 3 contests and cleaned up?

... and if Leidner starts, they should probably still blitz early and often.

Did you forget about the multiple victories we've had when we were double-digit underdogs?

I see someone else already beat me to the above question. When you get to define your own parameters, you can make it so that no one can live up to the expectations you've set. There is no perfect mechanism for deciding which is the "better" team, but betting lines are among the best proxies that exist, particularly because people are putting their own money on the line. So since neither Nebraska nor Michigan were better than the Gophers the last two years, it's safe to assume that you bet copious amounts on the Gophers in all 3 contests and cleaned up?

I specifically said top 10 opponent in my first post. To make it more clear I am referencing how Glen Mason won at #2 Penn State in his 3rd year, and at #6 Ohio State in his fourth year.

To be fair in the Mason/Kill comparison...Mason went 4-7 (2-6) in his 5th year but did beat Wisconsin that year. Maybe Kill's 5th year is following a similar path...

Do you have any specifics as to when we went too conservative in that game when we had the chance to go for the kill?

- We were up 14-3 and were driving when Tommy Olson committed a personal foul penalty. End result we have to kick a FG.
- Later on, we were up 17-3, and had still had them on their heals. It was 3rd and long for WI and a brocken coverage resutled in a 70 yard gain that ultimately ended with a TD.
- Still up 17-10 towards the end of the first half and the offense is driving again, Cobb fumbles. WI ends up with a FG before the half.
- First posession of the 2nd half, we commit a penalty that results in a 3rd and 18 situation. End up punting, WI scores on the next posession and we are playing from behind the rest of the way.

It seems to me mental mistakes is what caused us to not be able to "go for the kill". I get the complaint of Kill being too conservative sometimes. I was as upset as anyone when we took at knee against Missouri last year. But I don't think the Wisconsin game is a good example at all of this.

I specifically said top 10 opponent in my first post. To make it more clear I am referencing how Glen Mason won at #2 Penn State in his 3rd year, and at #6 Ohio State in his fourth year.

To be fair in the Mason/Kill comparison...Mason went 4-7 (2-6) in his 5th year but did beat Wisconsin that year. Maybe Kill's 5th year is following a similar path...

How many top 10 teams have we even played in the Kill era? TCU this year and Ohio State last year are the only two off the top of my head that were top 10 when we played them.

"GopherWeatherGuy: Interesting enough watching his Northern Illinois team, I thought he was more of a risk taker than what he has shown here." I have thought the same thing about Kill for a long time, what Missouri did to us in the Bowl game the catching us off guard with an onside kick was a Kill staff signature move at Northern Illinois, that and all of those flip pitch reverse action plays off jet motion instead of handing it off pitching it to the crossing receiver or running back from the QB, inside reverses, and stretch plays by the QB to the backside where they caught people off guard.

The whole throwing 35 times a game comment, the throws are not calculated and catching people off guard, Gophers have been throwing out of desperation after stalling out drives and having puntapalooza. Play action only works if you can run the football otherwise nobody buys the fakes. This has been the Gophers biggest weakness so far, the offense is that of run first mentality team, without being about to establish the run, then desperately throwing to try and convert first downs, it has been difficult to get anything else to work after getting stuffed on first down.

We have two good freshman running backs comments, I think we do but we have been predictable in the types of running plays we are trying to execute. You are seeing no option or QB read stuff hardly at all no fakes, no quick outs or dumps offs for middle screens to he backs, have to get these two backs more space, because right now they cannot create off contact what Cobb could do. We have to beat the edge blitzers from the blind side everyone will keep doing it until we can find a way to beat that pressure. Fullback belly anyone?
Wondering if we can execute anything over the middle, were not trying any shallow crosses, inside slants, wide receiver bubble stuff, counter action pitches to the outside after the defense crashes down, or roll away from that pressure and dump to the back or tight end. The tight end digs(you would think as big as Scarver and Wozniak are they could run a simple dig route 5 yards plant and play like a forward rebounding the basketball. Need to match there height up against a mismatch. If Leidner is most effective running up tempo, or no huddle, than go to that, need to get the kids playing faster and not give them time to think about or dwell upon mistakes. They have to find a way to get better up front, this has not been the equivalent of a Big 10 offensive line for all five games this season and the plays are to slow to develop.

Do you have any specifics as to when we went too conservative in that game when we had the chance to go for the kill?

- We were up 14-3 and were driving when Tommy Olson committed a personal foul penalty. End result we have to kick a FG.
- Later on, we were up 17-3, and had still had them on their heals. It was 3rd and long for WI and a brocken coverage resutled in a 70 yard gain that ultimately ended with a TD.
- Still up 17-10 towards the end of the first half and the offense is driving again, Cobb fumbles. WI ends up with a FG before the half.
- First posession of the 2nd half, we commit a penalty that results in a 3rd and 18 situation. End up punting, WI scores on the next posession and we are playing from behind the rest of the way.

It seems to me mental mistakes is what caused us to not be able to "go for the kill". I get the complaint of Kill being too conservative sometimes. I was as upset as anyone when we took at knee against Missouri last year. But I don't think the Wisconsin game is a good example at all of this.

Thanks for the great recap GII. After reading about the Wisconsin game I am reminded why I am usually not too upset when Kill plays it conservatively. Your points bring Bear Bryant's (I think that it was him), words back to mind, "most football games are not won, they are lost." Go Jerry, Go Gophers!

Then don't add the bit about "beating the teams they should, and losing to the teams they should", because that's demonstrably false. As with most things on this board, there's enough legitimate information on which to make a critique that you don't need to make stuff up to pile on.

Then don't add the bit about "beating the teams they should, and losing to the teams they should", because that's demonstrably false. As with most things on this board, there's enough legitimate information on which to make a critique that you don't need to make stuff up to pile on.

Apparently in your world spreads matter more than actually watching the teams play. I'm not making anything up and it's not rocket science. Kill has beaten teams evenly matched or worse than his Gophers teams. He has not risen up and beaten any upper echelon teams, although he's had plenty of chances.

Apparently in your world spreads matter more than actually watching the teams play. I'm not making anything up and it's not rocket science. Kill has beaten teams evenly matched or worse than his Gophers teams. He has not risen up and beaten any upper echelon teams, although he's had plenty of chances.

Yes, you are making things up. I noticed you ignored my earlier question - how much money did you bet on the Nebraska and Michigan games? If they were our equals or worse, it would be easy money.

Yes, you are making things up. I noticed you ignored my earlier question - how much money did you bet on the Nebraska and Michigan games? If they were our equals or worse, it would be easy money.

I don't bet on games because I don't live in Las Vegas. Has Jerry Kill beaten a top 10 team? Which you ignored in my first post. No. So how am I making things up?

Top Bottom