Kill can recruit!

golden

Reaction score
I just went through and watched the entire 2011 season game by game vs. the 2012.

Our D-line is getting to the ball, and our safety speed has greatly improved and can defend the pass much better than last season.

Guys like Wells & Thomson are an HUGE HUGE HUGE upgrade over Kim Royston in the passing game. Royston racked up big numbers in tackles last season but after watching the film, its easy to see how he didn't get any all-conf honors or pro looks. He was absolutely lost in the pass game, and cleaned up on tackles where he could have sent the play back for less of a gain had he defended his position properly and Vereen didn't do much either.

I think Royston & Vereen are better against the run than Wells/Thompson, but Wells/Thompson can move in space SO much better and are a BIG reason for the success of the 2012 pass D, ALONG with Stoudermire & Carter. I think we all know Stoudermire & Carter were big upgrades in the pass D, but if you watch the film, its AWESOME to see the visible improvement in what guys like Wells/Thompson bring to the table.

I'm fine with a bunch of 2star kids from Kill if he can keep finding diamonds in the rough. I think Wells/Thompson have legit shots at the NFL.

I can think of one regular contributor to the Gopher Hole message boards that would not share all your opinions on individuals within the Gopher Football defensive backfield. But hey... that's just a guess on my part.

I must admit, I do agree with your ideas for the most part. It is easy to see the increased speed across the board, even just 1 year removed from the last.

Royston's stats were somewhat difficult to decipher. On one hand he did rack up the tackles, but at the same time for a safety to get that many tackles, there is usually more to the equation than that players level of skill. Think of all the high draft pick over the years at the safety spot with 60 or 70 tackles in a season. If Royston was good enough for the NFL, he would be playing right now, that simple. It had nothing to do with Kill saying something, as some on this board have stated. Also, couldn't you say that Kill deserves some credit for highlighting Royston so much last year, allowing him to accumulate so many tackles?

There are alot of angles to look at this one

I must admit, I do agree with your ideas for the most part. It is easy to see the increased speed across the board, even just 1 year removed from the last.

Royston's stats were somewhat difficult to decipher. On one hand he did rack up the tackles, but at the same time for a safety to get that many tackles, there is usually more to the equation than that players level of skill. Think of all the high draft pick over the years at the safety spot with 60 or 70 tackles in a season. If Royston was good enough for the NFL, he would be playing right now, that simple. It had nothing to do with Kill saying something, as some on this board have stated. Also, couldn't you say that Kill deserves some credit for highlighting Royston so much last year, allowing him to accumulate so many tackles?

Agreed :)

This thread could get really interesting..... :)

I just went through and watched the entire 2011 season game by game vs. the 2012.

Our D-line is getting to the ball, and our safety speed has greatly improved and can defend the pass much better than last season.

Guys like Wells & Thomson are an HUGE HUGE HUGE upgrade over Kim Royston in the passing game. Royston racked up big numbers in tackles last season but after watching the film, its easy to see how he didn't get any all-conf honors or pro looks. He was absolutely lost in the pass game, and cleaned up on tackles where he could have sent the play back for less of a gain had he defended his position properly and Vereen didn't do much either.

I think Royston & Vereen are better against the run than Wells/Thompson, but Wells/Thompson can move in space SO much better and are a BIG reason for the success of the 2012 pass D, ALONG with Stoudermire & Carter. I think we all know Stoudermire & Carter were big upgrades in the pass D, but if you watch the film, its AWESOME to see the visible improvement in what guys like Wells/Thompson bring to the table.

I'm fine with a bunch of 2star kids from Kill if he can keep finding diamonds in the rough. I think Wells/Thompson have legit shots at the NFL.

Defensive Backs look a WHOLE lot better when there's a Pass Rush. Good this year, Non-existent last year.

The pass rush was existent last year, but that's about all you could say for it. Much better this year. I imagine Kim would like to have had a chance to play with this year's line.

This year we had 3 corners playing safety which is another reason why the pass defense was so good and part of the reason the run defense struggled. Give Claeys credit for fixing one gap, and look for Wells to move back to corner next year.

I'm equally impressed with the ability of Kill to find some pass rushers and have been really impressed with Amaefula. We have 4 nice DE's who all played a lot this year and still have 2-3 more years remaining.

y

Most of Kill's recruits have been in the 3* range. Not that *'s mean anything.

Wells and Thompson BOTH seem like DECENT Big Ten PLAYERS but I think it might BE a little EARLY to START tossing around NFL for either of THEM.

Our Pass D was better because as the D-Line got a good pass rush specifically from two guys that were not recruited by Kill who had great years in Hageman and Wilhite. I think people get confused on the recruiting thing when people like me express concerns about Kill's ability to recruit. The staff is working hard, they are going to find some players, that goes without saying. The question is can they find ENOUGH players to compete with the other schools in the conference that are routinely bringing in more highly rated guys.

First off, I wish you could have made your point without the negative comments about a specific player - especially one who's parent is a regular poster on this board.

To your point, though, I do agree. I think Jerry Kill's recruiting talent plays a big part in the reason that NIU is playing in a better bowl this year than we have since 1961.

I was on the Wells bandwagon early and still like him but our safeties had huge issues against th run. Bad angles and bad tackling. Royston would have been a huge positive back there this year with this D.

First off, I wish you could have made your point without the negative comments about a specific player - especially one who's parent is a regular poster on this board.

To your point, though, I do agree. I think Jerry Kill's recruiting talent plays a big part in the reason that NIU is playing in a better bowl this year than we have since 1961.

NIU is playing in a BCS game because the powers that be caved and put in exceptions for the non BCS conference schools. NIU is a good team but look at their schedule and tell me if that looks like the schedule of a team that deserves to play in one of the premier bowl games. They lost to Iowa, they beat Kansas by 7. I am interested to see how that game plays out but I won't be shocked if Florida State man handles them.

I think Royston & Vereen are better against the run than Wells/Thompson, but Wells/Thompson can move in space SO much better and are a BIG reason for the
success of the 2012 pass D, ALONG with Stoudermire & Carter. I think we all
know Stoudermire & Carter were big upgrades in the pass D, but if you watch the
film, its AWESOME to see the visible improvement in what guys like

Wells/Thompson bring to the table.

I'm fine with a bunch of 2star kids from Kill if he can keep finding diamonds in the rough. I think
Wells/Thompson have legit shots at the NFL.

You may want to watch film again (lol). In pass defense, he gave up two touchdowns in his college career. One of those was in his first game back, 9 months after having a rod placed in his leg, having not played
football in almost 2 years, against a QB and WR who will be drafted in the 1st round.

Lost in coverage? At Wisconsin he was the nickel/s on passing downs. The thought was he was to small to be a every down S. It was his pass defense on a top 20 team why he played....at least that's what the guys who get payed millions thought.

We do agree on Thompson and Wells. Assuming they have a better presence in the run game this year, I think both have a chance to be very good.

I can think of one regular contributor to the Gopher Hole message boards that would not share all your opinions on individuals within the Gopher Football defensive backfield. But hey... that's just a guess on my part.

You know me so well...lol.

NIU is playing in a BCS game because the powers that be caved and put in exceptions for the non BCS conference schools. NIU is a good team but look at their schedule and tell me if that looks like the schedule of a team that deserves to play in one of the premier bowl games. They lost to Iowa, they beat Kansas by 7. I am interested to see how that game plays out but I won't be shocked if Florida State man handles them.

This is all true. But Kills recruiting and NIU's performance has to be viewed in relative terms. Kill could not recruit B1G talent to NIU. His job was to recruit and coach a team in the MAC. in 2010 his team played for a conference championship and in 2012, a team largely made up of his recruits won their conference. You call NIU a "good" team. I guess I would say that they are a "great" MAC team. I guess its a galss half-empty or half-full kind of thing.

Royston's stats were somewhat difficult to decipher. On one hand he did rack up the tackles, but at the same time for a safety to get that many tackles, there is usually more to the equation than that players level of skill. Think of all the high draft pick over the years at the safety spot with 60
or 70 tackles in a season. If Royston was good enough for the NFL, he would be playing right
now, that simple. It had nothing to do with Kill saying something, as some on this board have
stated. Also, couldn't you say that Kill deserves some credit for highlighting Royston so much last
year, allowing him to accumulate so many tackles?

If Royston was good enough he would be playing? Kill deserves credit?

1. Kim not playing today has nothing what so ever to with his playing ability....in fairness to you, you have no idea what your talking about because you understandable arrived at that opinion based on what you know.

2. When Kill arrived on campus he inherited the most productive s in college football. Kill highlighted Kim alright......that tends to happen when you choose to play defensive lineman who don't tackle (lol).

I like Wells and Thompson however, Royston was a better safety (IMO).

Royston had the impossible task of being our best safety, the last line of our defense and an amazingly productive tackler and also having to cover WR's like a safety...ALL THE TIME.
Last year, we generated very little pass rush without bringing the house (think of the amount of corner blitzes coming from Henderson), which left guys like Royston and Lewis in an almost impossible task. Furthermore, last year we played without Stoud (almost all year), without Carter, etc.

Wells, Thompson and Vereen played well last year, but they also had the fortune of the emergence of Hageman and much improved corner play.

Too early to tell...I like what I am seeing but am not fully convinced that when we get to a stable place where the difference between 8 wins and 11 wins is your talent...can he get the talent. We know he can coach up kids over time and make them better...but at some point we are going to need some studs to get over the hump. Mason could never do it...can Kill? We shall see....

If Royston was good enough he would be playing? Kill deserves credit?

1. Kim not playing today has nothing what so ever to with his playing ability....in fairness to you, you have no idea what your talking about because you understandable arrived at that opinion based on what you know.

2. When Kill arrived on campus he inherited the most productive s in college football. Kill highlighted Kim alright......that tends to happen when you choose to play defensive lineman who don't tackle (lol).

Kill highlighted Kim out of necessity. No S should be put into the position that Royston and C. Lewis were put into.

As far as Kill choosing to play bad defensive lineman, I suppose that's one way to word it. It's like saying I choose to not date Natalie Portman.

He's entitled. Kim is fair game, plus he backed up his opinion with rational thoughts.

Kill highlighted Kim out of necessity. No S should be put into the position that Royston and C. Lewis were put into.

As far as Kill choosing to play bad defensive lineman, I suppose that's one way to word it. It's like saying I choose to not date Natalie Portman.

You are correct that was a trap way of phrasing it (lol). He played who had....the scheme didn't help though.

The fact that you had to go back and watch every game of the entire 2011 season vs every game of the 2012 season to reach this conclusion has me asking many questions.

This is all true. But Kills recruiting and NIU's performance has to be viewed in relative terms. Kill could not recruit B1G talent to NIU. His job was to recruit and coach a team in the MAC. in 2010 his team played for a conference championship and in 2012, a team largely made up of his recruits won their conference. You call NIU a "good" team. I guess I would say that they are a "great" MAC team. I guess its a galss half-empty or half-full kind of thing.

I think in MAC terms they are a great team, however being a great team in the MAC is probably good for middle of the pack in the Big Ten. Maybe they will prove me wrong and hang with Florida State but if I were betting I would go the direction of FSU. There is no doubt Kill could recruit at the MAC level and find guys who could succeed there. The concerning thing is he is still recruiting a lot of those same guys at the U of M and putting them up against much higher rated higher regarded players. Look at our recruiting class. Most of the offers we are competing against are offers from MAC schools. Very few of our verbals have an impressive list of BCS offers. Doesn't mean some of those guys aren't going to turn out to be very good players but it should tell you something when no one else at our conference level is recruiting the same kids we are.

I don't think the obvious improvement is primarily a result of good recruiting. I think Kill & his staff are much better coaches than they are recruiters the attention to details and the 2nd year under the same staff are the main reasons for the improvement. I for one am sure looking forward to year Kill3.

Top Bottom