KFAN's Paul Chryst fiasco

Wheaton

Reaction score
Has anyone been listening to KFAN at all since the Jerry Kill hire?

Now I understand a lot of people don't seem to like KFAN on these boards. I in fact do, it is my favorite radio station. However, KFAN incorrectly announced Paul Chryst would be the next head coach of the Gophers, a few hours later it was clear he would not be.

Now it seems to me that all week they have been ripping Maturi for not hiring Chryst. I think they are doing this, not because they feel he would have been a better coach, but rather he made them look bad.

Every single personality, PA and Joe Nelson, Barrerio and JG more than anyone else.

Anyone else getting this vibe?

They would have ripped the U even if he had hired Chryst.

The biggest problem with kfan reporting things is that all their college football contacts are pro guys. No doubt in my mind that Justin gaards source was bevell. The only people they've talked to regarding the gopher job are people who have had nothing to do with the college game in 10+ years

I listened to a little bit of KFAN yesterday while PA was on. I probably won't be listening to him again. He's a female hygienic product's nozzle. I'd much rather listen to Cowherd.

Has anyone been listening to KFAN at all since the Jerry Kill hire?

Now I understand a lot of people don't seem to like KFAN on these boards. I in fact do, it is my favorite radio station. However, KFAN incorrectly announced Paul Chryst would be the next head coach of the Gophers, a few hours later it was clear he would not be.

Now it seems to me that all week they have been ripping Maturi for not hiring Chryst. I think they are doing this, not because they feel he would have been a better coach, but rather he made them look bad.

Every single personality, PA and Joe Nelson, Barrerio and JG more than anyone else.

Anyone else getting this vibe?

I should have gotten clues from the "Nebraska" location or the "Go Bison" but more often then not your posts have seemed quite reasonable. Boy did you have me suckered congrats!

The biggest problem with kfan reporting things is that all their college football contacts are pro guys. No doubt in my mind that Justin gaards source was bevell. The only people they've talked to regarding the gopher job are people who have had nothing to do with the college game in 10+ years

You may be right, but thats not really my point. My point is they got it wrong and because they got the hire wrong they are ripping Maturi.

Its not that they don't like Kill, its that Maturi made them look stupid (rather KFAN made themselves look stupid for reporting that)

Barriero was decent to Kill in his interview yesterday but he asked Kill about his accent and then later in the broadcast proceeded to intimate that Kill had created a phony accent. I long for a drive home where the host was informed and less negative about Minnesota sports.

Kind of unrelated, but can I ask something? Why are some so certain Paul Chryst is cut out to be a head coach?

You may be right, but thats not really my point. My point is they got it wrong and because they got the hire wrong they are ripping Maturi.

Its not that they don't like Kill, its that Maturi made them look stupid (rather KFAN made themselves look stupid for reporting that)

They are ripping the hiring and non hiring of chryst because their "sources" not only said he was coming, but also said that he was the best guy for the job. And despite the fact that neither they nor their sources have any contact with the college game. They assumed their sources were infallible.

Kind of unrelated, but can I ask something? Why are some so certain Paul Chryst is cut out to be a head coach?

Well thats another point I had. It seems to me that the majority of KFANers think Chryst would be a good head coach, and they don't have much basis for that. Besides the fact that they look foolish for not getting the prediction right.

Paul Chryst
1999-2001 San Diego Chargers- Tight Ends Coach

I listened to a little bit of KFAN yesterday while PA was on. I probably won't be listening to him again. He's a female hygienic product's nozzle. I'd much rather listen to Cowherd.

I knew Allen's show would suffer without Dubay, but I didn't think it would suck this hard. It's just turned into an unlistenable mess, and it's getting worse all the time. What a complete blowhard. The way he defended Childress to the bitter end was nauseating - and painful, painful radio.

As bad as Joel looks now (it seems to get worse every time he speaks) he'd have been crucified if he'd hired his Badger Buddy and for good reason.

Lets not get carried away. Neither are terribly acceptable options, dead air leading up to nothing at noon is the preferred choice.

As bad as Joel looks now (it seems to get worse every time he speaks) he'd have been crucified if he'd hired his Badger Buddy and for good reason.
This is why their criticism is odd on this, there is no way Maturi could hire a close family friend from Madison to coach the Gophers.

I miss Dubay too. Wish he hadn't screwed up so bad. It's still my sports station of choice, since the old neighbor is so bad, and 1500 only really talks sports from noon-2 and at night when I don't listen.

I went back and checked the tweet in question, because I didn't remember it - here it is from Sunday at about 3:05 (must've been from some pressbox source): "Steam from some coaches and media members at Dome is that Wisc OC Paul Chryst will be named #Gophers FB coach tomorrow."

Don't know if that qualifies as an actual report that Chryst was coming or not. I know Doofie has an axe to grind with KFAN so he says that's a confirmation. To me, it looks like a half-hearted effort to report what others were saying. But maybe since I prefer them, I might not be reading it right.

Barriero was decent to Kill in his interview yesterday but he asked Kill about his accent and then later in the broadcast proceeded to intimate that Kill had created a phony accent. I long for a drive home where the host was informed and less negative about Minnesota sports.

Kill still has his Kansas inflection. His speech is the same as it is western Nebraska. Burritto doesn't get out much.

I listen to KFAN daily. They focus on pro sports. If we were in Iowa City we could expect the sports radio stations to break down and be overly supportive of the Hawkeyes, because there is nothing else to cover in Iowa City.

Most of the on air talent will rip the Twins, the Vikings, the Wolves, the Wild, and the Gophers in the same breath and equally.

We can whine and pine for constant positive support of our favorite team, but its not goint to happen on KFAN so why dwell on it?

Kill still has his Kansas inflection. His speech is the same as it is western Nebraska. Burritto doesn't get out much.
You don't have to go to Georgia to find a Southern accent. Several years ago I met a nice young lady from Mizzou, who told me in the deepest drawl that I had ever heard "I just love your accent."

Allen's bit is to act like a 12 year old for a couple of hours. I cant understand why people listen to his show.

We can whine and pine for constant positive support of our favorite team, but its not goint to happen on KFAN so why dwell on it?

Nobody wants pollyanna or SEC radio but it would be nice if Barriero didn't dwell on the negative 95% of the time. There isn't much else to turn to as I don't want to hear 70 year olds vent on Tafoya or Garage Logic talk about how much better things were 30 years ago. I actually miss Tim Brando who I can't listen to during the winter because it gets dark to early.

Nobody wants pollyanna or SEC radio but it would be nice if Barriero didn't dwell on the negative 95% of the time. There isn't much else to turn to as I don't want to hear 70 year olds vent on Tafoya or Garage Logic talk about how much better things were 30 years ago. I actually miss Tim Brando who I can't listen to during the winter because it gets dark to early.

Brando is the man. 690 a.m. is perfect for me since I only listen to the radio after 2 and before 5

I've heard that the Chryst thing wasn't even close to happening. They have a "source", who is really not a source who thought Chryst was the best option. After Edsall backed out, they erroneously jumped the gun saying "it has to be Chryst, it has to be Chryst". I've heard Chryst wasn't even in their top few (of guys they knew would accept).

There were too many questions about his reluctance to recruit (like Mason), and simply because he hasn't had any HC experience.

I listen to KFAN daily. They focus on pro sports. If we were in Iowa City we could expect the sports radio stations to break down and be overly supportive of the Hawkeyes, because there is nothing else to cover in Iowa City.

Most of the on air talent will rip the Twins, the Vikings, the Wolves, the Wild, and the Gophers in the same breath and equally.

So you would rather have a radio station act as sycophants and completely suck up to the sports teams in this town that don't deserve it? I have the feeling if that were the case, you would be on these forums complaining about that too.

Top Bottom