KFAN sucks

Why are Vikings Fans so passionate?
Why are the Vikings so popular?

They are covered constantly. We live in a Vikings/NFL bubble. People who like sports listen and watch sports programming, all of the programming is based around the Vikings. People are constantly seeing the Vikings and the NFL and that's why they like it so much. People are sheep.

Why is football so big in the SEC? It's bigger than the NFL. So college football is the thing to follow.

Right now, the Vikings are run by shady mob bosses and the star player is a bafoon who beats his kids. But they still dominate the sports coverage.

If the Vikings got the Gophers coverage and the Gophers got the Vikings coverage, we would see a huge change in fan bases.

This is silly. The Vikings get so much coverage because they have a huge and passionate following, not the other way around.

They are covered constantly. We live in a Vikings/NFL bubble. People who like sports listen and watch sports programming, all of the programming is based around the Vikings. People are constantly seeing the Vikings and the NFL and that's why they like it so much. People are sheep.

Why is football so big in the SEC? It's bigger than the NFL. So college football is the thing to follow.

Right now, the Vikings are run by shady mob bosses and the star player is a bafoon who beats his kids. But they still dominate the sports coverage.

If the Vikings got the Gophers coverage and the Gophers got the Vikings coverage, we would see a huge change in fan bases.

Could argue about chicken and egg but football is in general more popular in SEC country (youth, college, and pro) and there are ~6 SEC teams who don't have an in state pro team to compete with. Vikings get coverage because people tune in to watch it. More people probably gutted it out and watched coverage of the rain delay at a preseason game than will watch the gophers on TV versus TCU. Gopher pre and post game coverage has a very limited fan base. IF the gophers start pulling better numbers for their telecasts THEN they will start to get more coverage, not the other way around. I don't understand why we are lambasting a radio station that does pre game coverage with Coach Kill weekly and does at least cover this sport when we don't really get any play anywhere else.

Could argue about chicken and egg but football is in general more popular in SEC country (youth, college, and pro) and there are ~6 SEC teams who don't have an in state pro team to compete with. Vikings get coverage because people tune in to watch it. More people probably gutted it out and watched coverage of the rain delay at a preseason game than will watch the gophers on TV versus TCU. Gopher pre and post game coverage has a very limited fan base. IF the gophers start pulling better numbers for their telecasts THEN they will start to get more coverage, not the other way around. I don't understand why we are lambasting a radio station that does pre game coverage with Coach Kill weekly and does at least cover this sport when we don't really get any play anywhere else.

Not to mention the Vikings have been to 4 Super Bowls, 5 NFC championship games and the playoffs 27 times since the Gophers last won a B1G title. But hey the Gophers deserve all of the coverage.

I agree with many of you that PA is terrible, and the KFAN gameday coverage of the Gophers has been excellent in the few times I've listened. As much crap as Gaard used to get from us, he does a very good job covering the Gophers (along with the other guys).

I've been on this side of ths argument before, but I always get a chicken and the egg type response which I can't deny. The vikings are more popular because they are a pro team that has had a (at best) moderate amount of success over the last 40 years. It sucks for us college fans, but it's true.

I agree with many of you that PA is terrible, and the KFAN gameday coverage of the Gophers has been excellent in the few times I've listened. As much crap as Gaard used to get from us, he does a very good job covering the Gophers (along with the other guys).

+1 gaard has been a gopher supporter overall. We gripe on him for every criticism he makes.

Some of you think KFAN is doing Gopher fans a favor by talking about them or broadcasting their games. Let's face facts, as Sid would say, they have a profit motive & nothing more. Yes, Grimm is better than Dave Lee but so is my 6-yr-old grandson. Listening to Sid since I was wearing knickers has convinced me that Minnesotans are used to mediocrity because Sid always supports whoever is in power. He would not criticize Gutey, or Wacker or Salem. So we just sit back and say how great Gaardsy is or how wonderful Grimm is. The Fargo Flash is great. Gaard has never said anything remotely interesting. Nor has Daryl. I wish we has more Roy Smalleys. There is someone with great insight, who is humble and bright and well spoken. I yearn for the days of Ray Christensen, Dick Enroth and the great Ray Scott.

I was extremely leery of Gaardsy, but he has done a really nice job. I don't know if he is really a Gopher fan and that's ok, he's a professional and he does a nice job.

That is my biggest gripe with PA. It would have taken him 25 minutes prep to have done a nice job and he didn't. He never does when it comes to the Gophers. The Gophers will never compete with the Vikings and that's ok. However, Gopher football isn't some obscure sporting entity and KFAN is their flagship, it's astonishing that Abbot doesn't insist on PA doing more homework for these spots. He doesn't have to like it, we all are knowledgeable about things we wouldn't care about for the sake of our jobs. It'd be nice if PA was a bit more professional when it comes to the Gophers.

That said, I'd rather the Power Trip not even discuss the Gophers. Wow. That might be the least talented group of people on the radio.

I've been on this side of ths argument before, but I always get a chicken and the egg type response which I can't deny. The vikings are more popular because they are a pro team that has had a (at best) moderate amount of success over the last 40 years. It sucks for us college fans, but it's true.

It's not just the Gophers vs the Vikings, it's the Gophers vs the NFL. Big powerful and arrogant. Big money and communities bowing down to them. Better national TV coverage. 32 teams vs 300 teams.
Total revenue sharing and salary cap........common draft.....every team has a chance in the NFL.

But no, the Vikings have no effect on the Gophers.:banghead::banghead::banghead:

It's not just the Gophers vs the Vikings, it's the Gophers vs the NFL. Big powerful and arrogant. Big money and communities bowing down to them. Better national TV coverage. 32 teams vs 300 teams.
Total revenue sharing and salary cap........common draft.....every team has a chance in the NFL.

But no, the Vikings have no effect on the Gophers.:banghead::banghead::banghead:

+1 agreed

This is silly. The Vikings get so much coverage because they have a huge and passionate following, not the other way around.

That's largely been built since 1998 or so when Moss was in his heyday. The Vikings have always been popular, but they still had an older, more staid crowd up to that point. The Moss teams ushered in the era of the Vikings games being one big extremely loud, very drunken, party atmosphere that exists to this day. To be fair, this exists to a large extent at most NFL venues.

I was extremely leery of Gaardsy, but he has done a really nice job. I don't know if he is really a Gopher fan and that's ok, he's a professional and he does a nice job.

That is my biggest gripe with PA. It would have taken him 25 minutes prep to have done a nice job and he didn't. He never does when it comes to the Gophers. The Gophers will never compete with the Vikings and that's ok. However, Gopher football isn't some obscure sporting entity and KFAN is their flagship, it's astonishing that Abbot doesn't insist on PA doing more homework for these spots. He doesn't have to like it, we all are knowledgeable about things we wouldn't care about for the sake of our jobs. It'd be nice if PA was a bit more professional when it comes to the Gophers.

That said, I'd rather the Power Trip not even discuss the Gophers. Wow. That might be the least talented group of people on the radio.

Gaard is an Iowa alum so I'm pretty sure he's a Hawkeye underneath it all, but he does do a good job covering the Gophers. Occasionally he'll mention something about Iowa in what seems like an attempt to include them.

And as far as PA's recent hour-long segment on the Gophers, I thought it actually did seem like he did a little homework.

Gaard started at Iowa but graduated from the U if I remember. He has talked about how he grew up going to Gopher football and basketball games. So I think he knows his stuff

Gaard started at Iowa but graduated from the U if I remember. He has talked about how he grew up going to Gopher football and basketball games. So I think he knows his stuff

It appears he earned his degree from St. Thomas so you are right that he may not be much of an Iowa fan. Thanks.

It appears he earned his degree from St. Thomas so you are right that he may not be much of an Iowa fan. Thanks.

He grew up a Gopher fan, but played tennis at Iowa. He didn't graduate from Iowa though.

Hey, they are good are playing guessing games and ripping on Meat Sauce

Turned them off a long time ago. They must have moved off reading top 10 lists from the internet to the guessing games. How long can that crew hang on?

Top Bottom