KFAN sucks

Halsey Hall

Reaction score
They featured the Gophers on Paul Allen's show this a.m. Mike Grimm started if off by saying Steve Ekpe and then saying one of the starting safeties is someone named Calhoun. Then Allen showed his ignorance by announcing that one of the star safeties is someone named Thompson.

Granted he did have the two coordinators on, but asked mundane questions including a lot of time spent on Teague. Nothing was asked about running backs or offensive line. Little time spent on D line other than Richardson and TC. Allen wanted to demonstrate his deep knowledge by focusing on the D backfield. Wow, how'd he know that?

I'm always amazed at how shallow and uninteresting the questions asked are. Sure, Sid has limited ability to question. But what's up with Allen?

At least they are talking Gophers. Did an hour in drive time today with Justin Garrd with Mike Sherels and decent clips from the Allen show interviews.

Three years ago, you never heard a peep. Any coverage is good coverage, frankly.

They featured the Gophers on Paul Allen's show this a.m. Mike Grimm started if off by saying Steve Ekpe and then saying one of the starting safeties is someone named Calhoun. Then Allen showed his ignorance by announcing that one of the star safeties is someone named Thompson.

Granted he did have the two coordinators on, but asked mundane questions including a lot of time spent on Teague. Nothing was asked about running backs or offensive line. Little time spent on D line other than Richardson and TC. Allen wanted to demonstrate his deep knowledge by focusing on the D backfield. Wow, how'd he know that?

I'm always amazed at how shallow and uninteresting the questions asked are. Sure, Sid has limited ability to question. But what's up with Allen?

PA is a vikings stooge....He gives lip service to every other sport.....However, I was glad when the gophers moved to 100.3 because of the signal strength and it's the number 1 power in the Twin cities for sports talk radio.

At least they are talking Gophers. Did an hour in drive time today with Justin Garrd with Mike Sherels and decent clips from the Allen show interviews.

Three years ago, you never heard a peep. Any coverage is good coverage, frankly.

you are an enabler. Why not strive for excellence? Any coverage? I don't agree

KFAN sucks you repeat yourself!

PA is just unlistenable. If it's not shilling for the Vikings, he's completely disinterested, and he's by far the worst, most unprofessional, play by play guy I've ever heard.

That said, KFAN really does an excellent job with the game day coverage and game broadcast of Gopher games. It's night and day how much better the games are on KFAN than they were on WCCO. Grimm is so much better than Dave "country hearth bread" Lee, and the overall production is far superior.

PA is just unlistenable. If it's not shilling for the Vikings, he's completely disinterested, and he's by far the worst, most unprofessional, play by play guy I've ever heard.

That said, KFAN really does an excellent job with the game day coverage and game broadcast of Gopher games. It's night and day how much better the games are on KFAN than they were on WCCO. Grimm is so much better than Dave "country hearth bread" Lee, and the overall production is far superior.

Yep. Agreed. Paul Allen is terrible on everything. It's not an anti-Gopher thing. On the whole, coverage on the flagship has been good. Several hours a week, up from absolute zero not that long ago.

They featured the Gophers on Paul Allen's show this a.m. Mike Grimm started if off by saying Steve Ekpe and then saying one of the starting safeties is someone named Calhoun.

Oh, the travesty, he accidently called a guy Steve instead of Scott. He also quickly corrected himself on Calhoun and said he meant Travis. Seriously, can the season start soon? We are left complaining about this now?

Allen showed his ignorance by announcing that one of the star safeties is someone named Thompson. I'm always amazed at how shallow and uninteresting the questions asked are.

Bitch if they cover us, bitch if they don't. Good gracious.

I actually was glad to listen to Limegrover, Claeys and Sherels. Thought they all covered a number of pertinent, interesting issues about the Gophers.

Sorry PA.....your 'Minnesota Moving Company' hasn't caught on.:banghead:

Gaardsy talks a lot about the Gophers. Gophers getting quite a bit of attention, I think. A lot of talk about the TCU game.

PA has horse racing and Vikings dominating his life right now and can't possibly follow the Gophers as closely as all of us on here do. Thats why when he does an hour on the Gophers, which I appreciate, he should have someone in studio more connected to the program to help facilitate the interviews. Who that may be...I'll let GopherHole decide.

He did have a great take on the Twins yesterday when he said Santana has turned the corner....I always

Gaardys mentioned that at 8am every Sunday they will have Gopher football discussion about the Sat game (will start after the Colorado State game). He said they saw a need for some review of Gopher game before all of the Vikings talk.

As for PA, not complaining about the coverage but he could have been better prepared instead of just going through the motions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bitching about Grimm, the voice of the Gophers, getting a name wrong? Give me a break. That guy lives and breathes Gopher sports. He corrected himself right away. And Gaardsy seems to talk non-stop Gophers when given the chance to host.

Bitching about Grimm, the voice of the Gophers, getting a name wrong? Give me a break. That guy lives and breathes Gopher sports. He corrected himself right away. And Gaardsy seems to talk non-stop Gophers when given the chance to host.

Yup. And as much as people want to complain about PA, he admits he knows very little about the Gophers but at least he's trying. PA is the Vikings expert and the far majority of the listeners want to hear him talk about the Vikings and not the Gophers. I don't get how people don't understand that on here.

KFAN isn't a sports station, it's an entertainment station....

There isn't one guy on there (other than Gaard) who could name 5 players on the current roster.

Allen is in a tough spot to talk Gophers. Most often he is traveling during the games or at the race track. I'm glad he takes the time to have Limegrover on weekly and he also invited Grimm out the State Fair next week to preview the TCU game.

Who do people want to hear from? That is my question. The HC is on the radio twice a week, the Coordinators are on, Sherels was on.

We on Gopherhole are in the minority. We want X's and O's and two deeps. The radio media doesn't care about that, they talk topic of the day and in generals.

Allen is in a tough spot to talk Gophers. Most often he is traveling during the games or at the race track. I'm glad he takes the time to have Limegrover on weekly and he also invited Grimm out the State Fair next week to preview the TCU game.

Who do people want to hear from? That is my question. The HC is on the radio twice a week, the Coordinators are on, Sherels was on.

We on Gopherhole are in the minority. We want X's and O's and two deeps. The radio media doesn't care about that, they talk topic of the day and in generals.

Very true. But shouldn't a sports station cater to passionate sports fans? KFAN will discuss minutiae from a single play in a Vikings preseason game for an hour, yet they lack any kind of knowledge not only for the Gophers, but also the Twins, Wild, and T-Wolves.

Anyone who tries to give themselves a nickname occupies the top rung of the dbag ladder, "Vox". The main reason I enjoy the Common Man is his constant mocking of Allen as an over-the-top Viking fanboy. Yes, they do have more Gopher content on KFAN now, but I'd wager dimes to donuts that it's being forced on Allen and it shows.

That said, the dedicated Gopher programming on KFAN is pretty good. Grimm, Thompson and Gaard do a fine job on gamedays. The Jerry Kill show with Rosen and Grimm is a good listen. As others have said, Gaard talks Gophers whenever he gets the chance.

Very true. But shouldn't a sports station cater to passionate sports fans? KFAN will discuss minutiae from a single play in a Vikings preseason game for an hour, yet they lack any kind of knowledge not only for the Gophers, but also the Twins, Wild, and T-Wolves.

To be honest the pool of general Viking fans is much larger and in my experience more knowledgeable about the nuances of the team. It's kind of cart and a horse, does KFAN show coverage digging into the minutiae make general fans more knowledgeable and interested or would KFAN tackle the minutiae if fans thirsted for it? As it is there seems to be a significant pool of fans who watch on Saturdays content to cheer the team on with minimal investment in schemes, players, ect.

They are catering to the biggest group of passionate sports fans, Viking fans.

I get that the Vikings are the most popular team in town, and I get that PA is the voice of the team, bad as he may be. My issue is largely that he shows almost disdain for having to talk about anything else at any time of the year. As a big Wild fan, I watch most games on FSN. During the pre-game, they'll occasionally show a segment where someone associated with the Wild or FSN is in studio with PA during his show discussing the Wild. He's almost always not paying attention, looking around, doing other things while basically nodding or pretending to be interested. His apathy is obvious, and I would suspect the same is true about the Gophers (or the Twins, or anything non-purple). I can't believe nobody has called him on this.

He is a good horse racing announcer though.
I will give him that.

They are catering to the biggest group of passionate sports fans, Viking fans.

IMO they already talk more Hockey than I can take. I love watching Wild games, hate talking about Hockey on the radio.

IMO they already talk more Hockey than I can take. I love watching Wild games, hate talking about Hockey on the radio.
Probably best to write an email to Chad Abbott rather than posting on a message board.

I just wish Allen would do some homework on the Gophers. How hard or much time would it take to at least become a little knowledgeable about Gopher football? I am not a hockey fan but I can tell PA''s hockey knowledge is as phony as his college sports banter. You make good money on the voice of the Gophers and you can't show some effort? They had a great interview with Mike Sherels yesterday believe with Gaard.

As a big Wild fan, I watch most games on FSN. During the pre-game, they'll occasionally show a segment where someone associated with the Wild or FSN is in studio with PA during his show discussing the Wild. He's almost always not paying attention, looking around, doing other things while basically nodding or pretending to be interested. His apathy is obvious, and I would suspect the same is true about the Gophers (or the Twins, or anything non-purple). I can't believe nobody has called him on this.

He does this during Vikings interviews too. I guess that makes him apathetic about the Vikings too.

Point being, this is something you do in radio, and really all media. It's not about being uninterested, it's about having things to think about other than the person you're interviewing. You have to think about your next question to avoid 5 seconds of dead air after each question.

It's not about being uninterested, it's about having things to think about other than the person you're interviewing. You have to think about your next question to avoid 5 seconds of dead air after each question.

You can't look someone in the eye and think at the same time?

He does this during Vikings interviews too. I guess that makes him apathetic about the Vikings too.

Point being, this is something you do in radio, and really all media. It's not about being uninterested, it's about having things to think about other than the person you're interviewing. You have to think about your next question to avoid 5 seconds of dead air after each question.

I noticed it during some of the video interviews from Vikings training camp. PA is constantly looking around, waving hi to people and has a nervous twitch while people are answering his questions. It is very distracting, but I bet it comes from him not being able to sit still for a second.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can't look someone in the eye and think at the same time?
There's more to radio than talking into a mic. Lots of multitasking during shows, unless you have a legion of minions to set things up for you like Mike & Mike or Dan Patrick.

Why are Vikings Fans so passionate?
Why are the Vikings so popular?

They are covered constantly. We live in a Vikings/NFL bubble. People who like sports listen and watch sports programming, all of the programming is based around the Vikings. People are constantly seeing the Vikings and the NFL and that's why they like it so much. People are sheep.

Why is football so big in the SEC? It's bigger than the NFL. So college football is the thing to follow.

Right now, the Vikings are run by shady mob bosses and the star player is a bafoon who beats his kids. But they still dominate the sports coverage.

If the Vikings got the Gophers coverage and the Gophers got the Vikings coverage, we would see a huge change in fan bases.

Top Bottom