KFAN running a Gophers show on NOW

Ski U Master

Reaction score
JG and Sludge running a Gopher's saturday show. So far it's okay.

JG and Sludge running a Gopher's saturday show. So far it's okay.

Make no mistake, I'm happy they are doing more Gopher coverage, but Sledge has openly stated he hates college athletics and has no interest in it. I did not hear the show today, but will look forward to just how interested he gets. I figure if he is hosting a Gopher show, he better know his stuff.

They had an extended interview with Duane Bennett. I was impressed. Well spoken, he talked at length about mentoring the younger players. Class work, being on time, what to expect on game day. I was unsure who was hosting it, but one guy is and Iowa grad, the other Minnesota. When they discussed picking a coach to take the Gopher Football fortunes, they said what worked at Wisconsin for Barry Alverez was no guarantee here. That what Ferentz brought to Iowa was no guarantee at Minnesota. And when the decision was being made the hot candidate in the media was Paul Chryst, but offensive coordinators are no guarantee and Charlie Wiess and Romeo Cornell came up. They agreed if you are going to take the job, you had better to have head coaching experience and an established staff. Bingo!

I am really no fan of the KFAN format. But the 20 minutes I caught in the car was the coverage the team has needed for 40 years. You never heard a show committted to Gopher Sports on WCCO. So I say thank you KFAN

The hosts are Cory Cove & Justin Gaard.

They are both U grads in Journalism (even though Justin started his college career at Iowa).

KFAN now has a vested interest in the Gophers. That does seem to change attitudes, especially when the boss is explaining priorities to the on air talent.

They did mention they will be providing coverage of Volley Ball, Westling, but the major sports will be the focus. It is a Gopher Sports Show. I for one, would like Gopher Lady to be brought in for her insights into the program. But so far, its all I could expect.

I agree, husker70, KFAN should have GopherLady on the show or at other times. She's knowledgeable and a passionate Gopher fan, but she would offer honest appraisals about the teams play or lack thereof. Additionally, her analysis is appreciated not only on GopherHole but other websites as well.

Go Gophers!!

Make no mistake, I'm happy they are doing more Gopher coverage, but Sledge has openly stated he hates college athletics and has no interest in it. I did not hear the show today, but will look forward to just how interested he gets. I figure if he is hosting a Gopher show, he better know his stuff.

I guess Sludge isn't a host, but he gave me the final reason to boycott KFAN. He told the little guy (can't remember his name) in the morning to not renew his season tickets because the Gophers suck and don't deserve your money. I remember it well. Sludge was the only 'daily' guy left on that station that I could stand and then he had to pull that on-air. Haven't listened since. I'm sure they miss me :)

Tried listening to it on demand

and turned it off after 10 minutes. They sounded completly disinterested and very ho-hum about it. Basically the first segment was them laughing repeatedly about Marquise Gray being a 4 star ath. coming out of high school and that it's basically a joke that he was rated that high. Why can't they bring someone in with actual college football knowledge and someone who is excited to do such a show.

I listened, thought it was good. Certainly the best Gopher show on the air in the Twin Cities. People need to get over how KFAN "used to be." As RR mentioned, they have a good reason for exposing our product. Kudos to the athletic department for getting more radio coverage. Maybe if they could get the basketball/hockey partner to do a show...

They sounded completly disinterested and very ho-hum about it.

Agree, to a point. Certainly ho-hum, but I wouldn't go so far as to say completely disinterested.

Basically the first segment was them laughing repeatedly about Marquise Gray being a 4 star ath. coming out of high school and that it's basically a joke that he was rated that high.

After reading this, I decided to find the podcast and listen to the first 10 minutes. After talking about starting a Gopher show suring a time of the year when no Gopher sports programs were actually in season, the spent the next few minutes talking about how Coach Kill came in and won everybody over, and some of the positive things recruits have said about the staff, etc. Mentioned "one recruit" (I'm guessing Nelson) but I should have figured that they wouldn't have done any homework to actually correctly attribute any statements accurately. Both spoke glowingly about Kill.

At around the 7 minute mark, Cove mentioned something about Gray and star ratings, and went on to amaze himself that it would be a really cool stat to find out how many future Gophers had the opportunity to announce on national television, their decision to sign with Minnesota...you know, with the multiple hats on the table, etc. He mentions at this time that the 4-Star ranking was a joke. The argument could be made that he was taking a jab at the star ranking system itself, but I will not throw him that rope. Gaard sounds disinterested and also sounds like he was tasked with this show, like I task my son to clean his room. Cove sounds disinterested, and it's pretty clear that he cares little, if any, about anything about Gopher sports.

I closed the window just before the 12 minute mark.

I'm glad KFAN is giving the Gophers their own slot, but they need to step up their game. Would it be that hard to get MV on the show? Get rid of both Gaard and Cove and bring on MV and Nadine.

I was hoping moving to kfan meant they'd bring in some people that knew something about college athletics. No dice but I'll tale what I can get.

On the record, gray might be overrated as a 4-star qb. But he was definitely worthy of a 4-stat athlete ranking. Best athlete at the U since maroney.

On the record, gray might be overrated as a 4-star qb. But he was definitely worthy of a 4-stat athlete ranking. Best athlete at the U since maroney.

It just turns my stomach that I can get better analysis of that from an anonymous posted on a board than from the "professionals" at KFAN.

Like I said, bring on MV and Nadine. Hell...they'd probably do it if they picked up lunch for them.

I'll listen when they get 2 hosts that are pro-gopher.

Oh crap the one time I turned off KFAN and I missed. Darnit!

The management does have a vested interest in the Gophers. It's unclear how fast the on-air talent will realize this, it depends on how much pressure management puts on them. If the people on the radio bash the Gophers, that's less people listening on the radio.

I expect that when they hire new people, they will be hiring those who know more and care more about college sports. Those currently on the air who neither know nor care should eventually start learning and caring (or at least pretend to) or be shown the door.

Just listened and thought it was pretty good. Duane Bennett had a really good interview. The two hosts were not negative of the program at all. The only thing they were negative about was Brewster as a coach while talking about how Kill won everyone over when he came in. I will be looking forward to listening to this show every Monday at work.

The two hosts were not negative of the program at all.

Agreed. But they sound bored with the subject, and especially in the case of Cove, are generally uninformed about Gopher football. Didn't make to the Bennett interview.

As others have said…

I had to swallow comments about the Gophers from Justin’s Gourd last year. I just can’t get the taste out that easily and won’t be listening to this show until they change to a more knowledgeable neutral or pro-Gopher set.

typical Kfan, another half assed effort, just pathetic. It seems like whenever they need a host for anything and they don't want to pay somebody who is actually qualified, you get Sludge. It's bad enough having to listen to him on the Vikings fanline. Then to have an admitted IOWA fan who has mocked the gophers for years be the other host is beyond laughable but this is how kfan works and why the gophers took a huge gamble going to that station. They have had Jack Brewer and conzemious on for years, why not these two, they have beat writers for every sport on often so why not Marcus or Miller, I guess with them it comes down to money and there belief that this market and fanbase is stupid enough to pretty much go along with whatever garbage they put on air. I wasn't expecting much from KFan and they have lived up to that so far.

to have an admitted IOWA fan who has mocked the gophers for years be the other host is beyond laughable

I wouldn't go as far as to say Guaard mocked the Gophers. He for sure is a pro-Gopher hoops guy. I'd say he has been enthusiastic regarding the Hawkeyes, yes, but I don't think he's mocked the Gophers. In fact, he is usually the defending the Gophers over the years on that station.

they have beat writers for every sport on often so why not Marcus or Miller

Or, why not just have Darrell Thompson on? He's the guy who is around campus and will be actually broadcasting the games on the station.

I wasn't expecting much from KFan and they have lived up to that so far.

I think just the opposite. I think KFAN has been doing well. Kill has been on a lot in the afternoon. They did a show from the stadium. They are doing this Saturday show. Bennett has been on at least twice. Gray was on once. They've devoted more to Gopher football in the past three months than they did the entire three previous years combined. I was actually thinking just the other day that this move to KFAN is working out great because of the added coverage. I guess I don't see where the "gamble" was in moving to this station. WCCO certainly wasn't providing much coverage, other than Sid and Dave on Sunday morning. Max would devote about five minutes once a week to the Gophers and he'd usually throw in a snide remark or two himself.

It's too bad that Dubay had to muck it up. He would have been so good for shows like this. He loves the U and is informed. Having a would-be resident host in Dubay with weekly guest hosts GL and MV would have been a killer show. Oh well.

It's too bad that Dubay had to muck it up. He would have been so good for shows like this. He loves the U and is informed. Having a would-be resident host in Dubay with weekly guest hosts GL and MV would have been a killer show. Oh well.

I was just thinking the same thing while reading this thread. I still have Puffy's Wisconsin meltdown during one morning montage with JG.. Hell, even Gaardsy got in on the Wisky hate. Then a caller was put on and pissed off Puff even more.. It was hilarious and awesome all rolled in one.

Puff being the host of a Gopher show on KFAN is a must. I don't know how's he's done lately and if it's even a remote possibility they bring him back on.. but if there's a chance.. He's the guy, IMO.

No matter how you look at it, KFAN is second class or lower when it comes to the Gophers. The Queens have been their flagship and it appears that will continue for the current term now that the NFL is back..

The lacking intro to the greatly anticipated Gopher coverage many GH-er were excited about does not surprise me considering the past and how they operated. Sid & Dave are still on top.

This morning on the Powertrip, Hawkey mentioned that he was calling the hotline during the show and nobody was answering. Sludge went on to tell him it was because the show was pre-taped. Way to go guys. Hawk also mentioned that he had no idea that the show was even on this weekend, and he works there! Crazy. Hopefully it gets better as the year goes on.

+1. Would love to still have Doobs around. He would have given a voice that's both informed and passionate about the Gophers. Hopefully wherever he is he's turning it around.

This morning on the Powertrip, Hawkey mentioned that he was calling the hotline during the show and nobody was answering. Sludge went on to tell him it was because the show was pre-taped. Way to go guys. Hawk also mentioned that he had no idea that the show was even on this weekend, and he works there! Crazy. Hopefully it gets better as the year goes on.

What a f@cking embarrassment. Way to make a commitment "the FAN".

Top Bottom