Key play of the game

The only advantage of shotgun is in pure passing scenarios, as it obviously gives the QB more time to avoid being sacked by blitzes or busts in pass-pro. Maybe RPO it helps the QB ready things more effectively, fine.

Not a fan of shotgun, myself. I like under center. There's a reason why NFL uses it. Granted, if you have Mahomes/Wilson/Rodgers/Kyler ... you let them do their thing.

Considering our defense hadn't given up a point in over a week, this move on 4th in your own territory was borderline malfeasance. What you gain just isn't close to what you lose in this scenario. Many plays of course to choose from in a (historically bad) close loss, but this absolutely was the turning point.
I think Fleck did this to try to light a fire in his offense more than anything. Terrible result, but I get his reasoning, bad idea though with well the defense was playing.

The only advantage of shotgun is in pure passing scenarios, as it obviously gives the QB more time to avoid being sacked by blitzes or busts in pass-pro. Maybe RPO it helps the QB ready things more effectively, fine.

Not a fan of shotgun, myself. I like under center. There's a reason why NFL uses it. Granted, if you have Mahomes/Wilson/Rodgers/Kyler ... you let them do their thing.
Or Brady, Stafford, Allen, Prescott, Roethlisberger, Garoppolo, Lawrence, etc...

Or Brady, Stafford, Allen, Prescott, Roethlisberger, Garoppolo, Lawrence, etc...
We'll wait here for you to tally the total percentage of these guys under center vs shotgun.

Maybe some of these are also in shotgun a majority. Kirk goes into shotgun too. Like I said, it has its place and time.

Running the entire offense out of shotgun is just silly.

We'll wait here for you to tally the total percentage of these guys under center vs shotgun.

Maybe some of these are also in shotgun a majority. Kirk goes into shotgun too. Like I said, it has its place and time.

Running the entire offense out of shotgun is just silly.
OK, Sparky.

Fleck had the two boneheaded plays on Saturday. Going for it on 4th down gave them 3-7 points and then after punting inside the 5 twice, he chose to try a 52 yard fg, putting BG in great field position to get their next TD. Those two coaching decisions were the difference.

Didn't understand going for it. Nor the TO right before the snap.
on the before TO run, BG had 8 at the LOS with two backers, on the actual play BG had 7 with 3 backers. We didn't have enough to block all of them on either play.

I don't know if we make it even on the TO run as there was a LB filling the open hole Potts was running to. It was a 50 - 50 shot that Potts would get enough.

They did change the formation slightly as Ruschmeyer was lined up on the LOS to the far right in the original play and after the TO he moved to the left side as a wing. He had the best block on that play as he pulled right to kick out the end man and flattened him.

The backfield action was similar on both plays. It was not a read but the normal inside zone hand-off that we run quite often. This is where having Potts instead of Mo is a problem. Mo is a hammer and will stick it in there to get the yardage needed. Potts is a great runner, but he does it more with finesse and is looking for an opening more. There wasn't a hole and he hesitated slightly upon getting the handoff as was buried by the DL who got push.

Since we are 100% out of shotgun, saying we should have run it from under center just isn't feasible. I believe we should have about 3 to 5 short yardage plays from under center for instances like this.

Last night in the Packer-Niner game it showed a graphic that SF was the leader in under center QB plays at 58%, so every NFL team runs from some Shotgun/Pistol set quite often in a typical NFL game, regardless of QB.

I find it a tad ironic that most of the complaints about fleck are about how conservative he is and the two plays he tries to be more aggressive fail and just reenforce his desire to be conservative.

Don't get me wrong, he chose two very stupid times to be aggressive, but I found it a tad ironic.

Other than the obvious one, the key play of the game was the Gophers very first passing play, when Chris Autman-Bell came up limping.

The Gophers would have won today with him playing the entire game. Not by much, but they would have won.

It's a very different offense with him healthy.
It was a simple out pattern that gained ten yards. You don't need CrAB for that. We have 10 receivers on the squad who can all run that play and get the yards. The coaches apparently thought only the super talented Autman Bell could run it because it was not called again.

Didn't understand going for it. Nor the TO right before the snap.
on the before TO run, BG had 8 at the LOS with two backers, on the actual play BG had 7 with 3 backers. We didn't have enough to block all of them on either play.

I don't know if we make it even on the TO run as there was a LB filling the open hole Potts was running to. It was a 50 - 50 shot that Potts would get enough.

They did change the formation slightly as Ruschmeyer was lined up on the LOS to the far right in the original play and after the TO he moved to the left side as a wing. He had the best block on that play as he pulled right to kick out the end man and flattened him.

The backfield action was similar on both plays. It was not a read but the normal inside zone hand-off that we run quite often. This is where having Potts instead of Mo is a problem. Mo is a hammer and will stick it in there to get the yardage needed. Potts is a great runner, but he does it more with finesse and is looking for an opening more. There wasn't a hole and he hesitated slightly upon getting the handoff as was buried by the DL who got push.

Since we are 100% out of shotgun, saying we should have run it from under center just isn't feasible. I believe we should have about 3 to 5 short yardage plays from under center for instances like this.

Last night in the Packer-Niner game it showed a graphic that SF was the leader in under center QB plays at 58%, so every NFL team runs from some Shotgun/Pistol set quite often in a typical NFL game, regardless of QB.
Sorry, but Mo can't get a yard on that play either. The whole right side was overwhelmed. Potts hit several guys three yards deep. Nobody is going anywhere on that dumb play call after giving the defense a time out to get ready for it.

Sorry, but Mo can't get a yard on that play either. The whole right side was overwhelmed. Potts hit several guys three yards deep. Nobody is going anywhere on that dumb play call after giving the defense a time out to get ready for it.
On that play I agree, he wouldn't have had a chance. May only have lost a yard, but on 4th down it really doesn't matter.

Top Bottom