Key play of the game

Gold Rush

Reaction score
Gophers deep in their end, ahead 3-0 and the Gophers go for it and 4th and 1 on their own 20. They run an EXTREMELY vanilla play right up the gut and get stuffed. BGSU punches it in a few plays later and goes up 7-3. They opened the door with an extremely foolish play call. You run that against OSU and it works -- hey you have got nothing to lose there and that one gave you a chance. THIS one opened the door for an overmatched opponent that wasn't moving the ball. It's one of those plays where if it works you are a genius and if it doesn't you really look like an idiot. THAT is why teams do not go for it in this type of situation deep in your own territory in a low scoring game. I think you don't have to worry about PJ Fleck getting scooped up by USC anytime soon....

Unfortunately after a TO too as I recall...
I feel this was the key play of the game, he had the first down, but then the TO gave the defense a chance to see the play, MN for some reason lines up in the same formation (I don’t know why) the defense knew where it was going. Blown play

I feel this was the key play of the game, he had the first down, but then the TO gave the defense a chance to see the play, MN for some reason lines up in the same formation (I don’t know why) the defense knew where it was going. Blown play
I agree. Probably should have punted. But to come out in the same formation after the TO didn't help.

Gophers deep in their end, ahead 3-0 and the Gophers go for it and 4th and 1 on their own 20. They run an EXTREMELY vanilla play right up the gut and get stuffed. BGSU punches it in a few plays later and goes up 7-3. They opened the door with an extremely foolish play call. You run that against OSU and it works -- hey you have got nothing to lose there and that one gave you a chance. THIS one opened the door for an overmatched opponent that wasn't moving the ball. It's one of those plays where if it works you are a genius and if it doesn't you really look like an idiot. THAT is why teams do not go for it in this type of situation deep in your own territory in a low scoring game. I think you don't have to worry about PJ Fleck getting scooped up by USC anytime soon....
Exactly correct. This was the play of the game. It was stupid.

I’d like to submit the 3rd and 6 run play before the missed FG as the play of the game. We had marched down the field on our prior possession and Trey had had best run of the game to put us inside their 30. Instead of working with that momentum, we run three straight times, miss a long FG, and then BG scores on the following possession.

Once the timeout was called, they should have punted. It was a stupid timeout.
This is my take on it as well. Once they called TO I was sure we were going to punt. Way our defense was playing was stupid to give them the ball that close to our ez.
If you are going to go for it there go quick and try to catch them napping. Don’t give them time to prepare for a running play right up the middle that fooled nobody.

I’d like to submit the 3rd and 6 run play before the missed FG as the play of the game. We had marched down the field on our prior possession and Trey had had best run of the game to put us inside their 30. Instead of working with that momentum, we run three straight times, miss a long FG, and then BG scores on the following possession.
So much this. I knew it was coming too. Just soooo bad.

I think the key was the fact they showed up drunk. That play was big, but they didn't show up on any other play throughout the game except when Kramer scored his touchdown. And that was him doing all the work.

That early in the game I don't have a problem with it.

The whole game is what went wrong.

Play calling yeah I have a problem with it.

Do we not have a screen play even in the book that takes advantage of aggressive play on the line?

Bingo. No good reason why our offense was that impotent all game.

We had a couple of 2nd and 3rd and longs.......and our defense committed a penalty. Those were massive, too.

Other than the obvious one, the key play of the game was the Gophers very first passing play, when Chris Autman-Bell came up limping.

The Gophers would have won today with him playing the entire game. Not by much, but they would have won.

It's a very different offense with him healthy.

This was when the complexion of this football game completely changed, the three straight runs after Potts had that explosive play. The game changes here if we see the Gophers score a touchdown instead of ending up with a long field goal. You have the momentum, crowd is finally excited, it looks like the offense might wake up and then the three dud running plays. Seemed like they were running the same four plays all football game.

No PJ with a stupid or ill timed timeout color me shocked. Of course in the press conference he took all the blame for the loss, but not sure what that means or if there is any substance.

The big difference in the game was that when we started inside their 25 yard line.....we went run, run, pass and failed to pick up a first down. When they started inside our 25 yard line.....they scored a touchdown.

Other than the obvious one, the key play of the game was the Gophers very first passing play, when Chris Autman-Bell came up limping.

The Gophers would have won today with him playing the entire game. Not by much, but they would have won.

It's a very different offense with him healthy.
There is something wrong if you have to rely on one player to beat a team like Bowling Green.

Only 241 yards against a bad Bowling Green team. Take your pick. I guess if you HAVE to pick only one play emblematic of the problems that’s it.

Somebody can correct me if wrong, but I cannot think of a single 4th down PJ has gone for and not called a TO prior. Every time the situation comes up where they line up for a 4th down, I say “just wait, a timeout is coming”, and can’t think of a single time I’ve been wrong.

That drive where they got down inside the 35 and it looked like they audibled to two runs that got like a yard each was terrible. Twice getting sacked out of field goal range was terrible. Just sucked every time they got down between the 40 and 30. Then the play where it was like 3rd and 4 and it seemed like every we was running routes that were 10+ yards when you’ve struggled to protect the qb.

I think the play of the game was running the ball on 3rd and 6 and forcing Trickett to kick a 52 yard field goal.

Considering our defense hadn't given up a point in over a week, this move on 4th in your own territory was borderline malfeasance. What you gain just isn't close to what you lose in this scenario. Many plays of course to choose from in a (historically bad) close loss, but this absolutely was the turning point.

The worst part of this play, was the actual play call. You need one yard. You either QB sneak and push the pile, or you do a straight hand-off up the middle, and push the pile. Either way, under center, just a simple play.

We were bigger and stronger than they were by a mile. Should have been an easy yard, with either strategy above.

Instead, they go out of shotgun (WTF????) and try to do some fancy read-option silly play, which they just did the give anyway, and it was ruined.

2:15 here:

The worst part of this play, was the actual play call. You need one yard. You either QB sneak and push the pile, or you do a straight hand-off up the middle, and push the pile. Either way, under center, just a simple play.

We were bigger and stronger than they were by a mile. Should have been an easy yard, with either strategy above.

Instead, they go out of shotgun (WTF????) and try to do some fancy read-option silly play, which they just did the give anyway, and it was ruined.

2:15 here:

I could be wrong, there may be one play I don't remember, but I believe
Fleck has been shotgun for 100% of the offensive plays during his tenure here!!! Really, Really one dimensional!!!!

Top Bottom