Kevin Payton will not be back on the team next year

per Sid:

Kevin Payton, the Gophers basketball player who had been suspended because of academic problems, has another year of competition, but he has indicated he will spend his final year somewhere else.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/wolves/40036082.html?elr=KArksUUUU

Go Gophers!!

It looks like what we all suspected, ended up panning out. I wonder where he will spend his final year? He obviously has to transfer to a D2 or 3 school to play, I would have thought he may just want to finish his degree at the U, since I'm guessing he doesn't he doesn't have that much further to go.

At least we know where that extra scholarship is going to come from!

If he transfers down, I hope he can find a much better fit and some playing time. If he just concentrates on finishing a degree, I say good for him.

I wouldn't blame him for moving down to get PT...next year my be his last chance to play basketball in a big competitive setting ever. Its tough to see something you've worked at your whole life come to an end.

As mentioned in a previous thread Sid also said Kevin wouldn't be back with the team this year. I'll believe it when it is official.

Since he is a likley graduate, is that rule still in place where he doesn't have...

...site out?

It looks like what we all suspected, ended up panning out. I wonder where he will spend his final year? He obviously has to transfer to a D2 or 3 school to play, I would have thought he may just want to finish his degree at the U, since I'm guessing he doesn't he doesn't have that much further to go.

At least we know where that extra scholarship is going to come from!

He'd be fairly foolish to transfer to another D-I program and ride another bench as a senior or grad student.

He is STILL a crowd favorite!!!!!!!!!!!

If KP is leaving the program, why would Tubby waste his time with this kid? He shouldn't even be dressing, much less playing. Something doesn't add up here. Either Sid is full of $hit or KP hasn't publicly said he's leaving. There isn't a coach in America that would play a kid who has already decided publicly to transfer....

I don't think I agree. I can see Tubby playing him in this situation, even if he knows he's transferring. Good kid, fan favorite, game where having, say, Joseph in there in this situation instead isn't going to really mean anything to him. I can see it.

If KP is leaving the program, why would Tubby waste his time with this kid? He shouldn't even be dressing, much less playing. Something doesn't add up here. Either Sid is full of $hit or KP hasn't publicly said he's leaving. There isn't a coach in America that would play a kid who has already decided publicly to transfer....

I think Tubby cares that Payton GRADUATE, not so much whether he transfers or not.

It's not like it's Payton's decision to leave.

This is probably a "mutual agreement" hammered out between Kevin and Tubby. That includes treating each other respectfully, physically and verbally helping the team win, and both parties walk away from this year to a hopefully more successful year next year. This is probably best for both the program and Kevin. I hope Kevin prospers in both basketball and outside of basketball in the future and really appreciate the great attitude he's kept through this year and as a Gopher player throughout his tenure. I hope to support him in the future and I hope he continues to support the Gopher program and looks back on his time year with happiness and not displeasure.

If KP helps him win a game this year, he will play him. Next year is next year!

Again, something doesn't add up and I repeat. There isn't a college coach in America that would play someone who has already declared that he's leaving the program. It's like a job....if you walk into your boss' office and tell him/her that you're quitting because it's not working out or you're unhappy, they will tell you to clean out your desk by the end of the day. They don't ask you to stick around for a few weeks and let you intereact with clients.

The difference Art is Kevin has never quit this team and it appears he will never quit this team. He's looking for a better opportunity to play basketball. He's tried very hard to help this team win in any manner he can. There aren't that many players in his position that would do the same. That takes class. We know Tubby has class and he treats people well. Giving somebody who is a huge supporter of the program an opportunity to play in a 27 point blow out is only fair and Kevin deserves that.

There are situations in life where people shouldn't be shown the door as soon as future plans change. This situation makes both Tubby and Kevin look better.

Again, something doesn't add up and I repeat. There isn't a college coach in America that would play someone who has already declared that he's leaving the program. It's like a job....if you walk into your boss' office and tell him/her that you're quitting because it's not working out or you're unhappy, they will tell you to clean out your desk by the end of the day. They don't ask you to stick around for a few weeks and let you intereact with clients.

But Payton isn't quitting. He's not getting his scholarship renewed.

Ok, simple question. Which is more likely? A) Kevin Payton or a member of the basketball program calls Sid up and tell him Payton is done after this year or B) Sid is making stuff up again. Your thoughts?

On a side note I just noticed on rivals that coming out of high school KP had an offer from the #1 overall team in the nation, the pittsburgh panthers, this is totally off topic, but I thought that was kind of funny that kevin actually was decently regarded coming out of high school.

On a side note I just noticed on rivals that coming out of high school KP had an offer from the #1 overall team in the nation, the pittsburgh panthers, this is totally off topic, but I thought that was kind of funny that kevin actually was decently regarded coming out of high school.
Funnily enough, Jon Williams also had an offer from Pitt.

As indicated by others....Sid no longer is reliable as a reporter, and that has been the case for a while now.

...site out?

good point about the GRADUATE TRANSFER RULE. IF KP graduates I believe he can transfer to another DI school and not sit out while he enters the new school to pursue a graduate degree. Is there a graduate program at NDSU that KP could be interested in? WIND ENERGY? AGRI SCIENCE? With Woodside gone the BISON might be looking for a point next year and maybe KP could come back to the Barn next year for a Swan Song.

I forgot about the GRADUATE TRANSFER RULE and that might be a good application of it here.

Gophers are now 17-2 when Payton suits up.

Top Bottom