Kevin McHale for AD?

The next AD is going to be Beth Goetz or someone 90% of people have never heard of.

Do you realize there is more to the job than fund-raising?

Exactly. People think all they do is fundraise. That is definitely part of the job description, but a relatively small portion - certainly less than 50%.

The next AD is going to be Beth Goetz or someone 90% of people have never heard of.

Stop stealing my material! :)

Exactly. People think all they do is fundraise. That is definitely part of the job description, but a relatively small portion - certainly less than 50%.

Stop stealing my material! :)

? I didn't correct anyone's grammar or spelling.

Like I said; I would not want either. But yes, being a AD to thousands of students (education system) in multiple sports is lights years closer than being a bad GM of a men's professional basketball team.

After further thoughts.

Trents hires (Leo Lewis...yes it's a reach) helped North reach a championship game. Kevin's sunk the wolves (not including Flip).

Trent has ethics, Mchale is a proven cheater.

Also please correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think Kevin graduated from college? If not; he's not qualified.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not advocating for McHale. He was a disaster as Wolves GM (and like you say probably doesn't have a college degree). I just know that what Trent currently does is so different from a D-1 athletic director that he's not really qualified either.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not advocating for McHale. He was a disaster as Wolves GM (and like you say probably doesn't have a college degree). I just know that what Trent currently does is so different from a D-1 athletic director that he's not really qualified either.

I agree with you; that's why I wouldn't want Trent either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems to be some hate for Mchale in Minnesota.

No hate, he was certainly a great player. Wish he'd come around and support the team and school. Don't recall the last time I saw him at Williams. None of that has anything to do with why people don't think he'd want or succeed as AD.

No hate, he was certainly a great player. Wish he'd come around and support the team and school. Don't recall the last time I saw him at Williams. None of that has anything to do with why people don't think he'd want or succeed as AD.
Trent Tucker was never on Cheers, was he?

Seems to be some hate for Mchale in Minnesota. Great Gopher legend and he did draft KG and he seems to be a decent guy.Don't really get why the public seems to be down on him. Doubt if he would ever have any interest in the job or if he would be any good at it either. But he was a heck of a Gopher. Still remember in the loaded Big Ten at the time how the gangly kid destroyed future NBA draft picks. Talked to him in the lobby at Williams once. Still remember Mark Hall walking by with a hip leather jacket and some funky boots. Always have had a soft spot for the kid from the Range.

Certainly reads like that doesn't it?

I have no hate for McHale, I just hope we find a more qualified person for the job. Who knows? Maybe he'd accidently be great at it, but I'd rather hire a more proven commodity.

The other reason I wouldn't want him in the AD job is because I'd love to have him back as a broadcaster. Kevin Harlan and Kevin McHale made some pretty terrible Wolves teams an awful lot of fun to watch. Maybe they could reunite on TNT!

True.

Can we now add the word 'hate' to the list of misused words?

Let's look at his resume:

-6-year Gopherholer
-Not involved in any UM scandals
-He's a doctor - a doctor of what, I have no idea; but he is.
-He bleeds maroon and gold
-Able to mobilize posters with his "Guess the score" posts.
-He travels well - living in Western Minnesota & Arizona.
These unique qualifying attributes make him perfect for the job.

He also mentioned he'd like to see more butts in the stands.

The next AD is going to be Beth Goetz.

FIFY. Honestly, the only things that would prevent the U from hiring her is:

1. They find out she knew about Teague's shenanigans and didn't report them.
2. Some other major scandal hits in the next 3-4 months that directly involves her or she completely mishandles.
3. Some major blunder with the assistant football coaches' contracts that leads to them leaving (such as not getting them done for so long they leave or making them sign something ridiculous or whatever).
4. She decides she doesn't want the job.

She's already handled her first crisis of Coach Kill's resignation as well as could be expected. She seems to have a ton of respect in the department. I just don't see the U going a different direction. If they do, unless it's another woman, they'll have to justify why they hired a man instead of the woman who was doing the job, and I don't see them wanting to do that. Even though that's not necessarily the right reason to hire anyone.

That and he has a degree I don't think Mchale ever graduated from the U

The worst that could happen is he actually took the job....yikes!

Another former gopher great basketball player is immensely more qualified for the job....Trent Tucker. No, I don't want him either but he actually holds a job in that field.

Tucker has a degree from the U.
Mchale never graduated from the U and that is a requirement to be the AD a college degree. Not saying I advocate for Tucker, but like Sportsfan24 indicates in the above post at least he has some experience at a lower level being an athletic director. I think Mchale has had executive level positions(did a crappy job of running the T-wolves) but not one's dealing in the day to day details of scheduling, facilities, managing the interests of 800 student athletes and that kind of thing. He, Trent Tucker would be a better advocate, extols the virtues of getting your degree and being the "student" part of athlete even if it took him until after his playing days to finish school.
You have to be a bit of schmoozer, and fundraiser experience Tucker has raising funds for charity. To me you have to show support for the U, and be connected to the community and school, which you have to be to donors and alumnus to get money out of their wallets. I know some don't like him from his broadcasting day's of the Wolves, but I think Tucker would be strong supporter of all athletics and coaches at the U something we need. People may disagree but I think Trent Tucker would bring a lot of energy and passion for the University.

Tucker has a degree from the U.
Mchale never graduated from the U and that is a requirement to be the AD a college degree. Not saying I advocate for Tucker, but like Sportsfan24 indicates in the above post at least he has some experience at a lower level being an athletic director. I think Mchale has had executive level positions(did a crappy job of running the T-wolves) but not one's dealing in the day to day details of scheduling, facilities, managing the interests of 800 student athletes and that kind of thing. He, Trent Tucker would be a better advocate, extols the virtues of getting your degree and being the "student" part of athlete even if it took him until after his playing days to finish school.
You have to be a bit of schmoozer, and fundraiser experience Tucker has raising funds for charity. To me you have to show support for the U, and be connected to the community and school, which you have to be to donors and alumnus to get money out of their wallets. I know some don't like him from his broadcasting day's of the Wolves, but I think Tucker would be strong supporter of all athletics and coaches at the U something we need. People may disagree but I think Trent Tucker would bring a lot of energy and passion for the University.

I hate when folks say things better than I. Quit making me look bad!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom