Kevin McHale for AD?

SPEGOPHER

Reaction score
Seems like a fairly obvious choice to at least gauge his interest. Has connections at the U and his time as GM of the TPups couldn't hurt.

Seems like a fairly obvious choice to at least gauge his interest. Has connections at the U and his time as GM of the TPups couldn't hurt.

Actually, I'd say his time with the Wolves probably does hurt. He's not qualified for the job, nor can I imagine he'd want any job where he's going to spend half his time asking people for money.

I love parody. Great humor.

Kevin McHale was a great player. Everything else after, not so much.

How about Prince? Would be able to serve in the position longer than Dylan. Plus you could understand what he is saying.

Love it! He really doesn't do much anymore. I'm thinking mega fundraising concerts at the Bank.

How about Prince? Would be able to serve in the position longer than Dylan. Plus you could understand what he is saying.

Nope. Him, Jimmy Jam, Lewis and Garnett are buying into the Wolves..

Fair enough. Just figured that a Gopher Basketball legend would have strong ties to potential donors and he would put the revenue sports as a 1st priority. Also, I know his time as GM with the Wolves was pretty bad, just would make him somewhat more qualified to lead the Athletic Department.

Why would McHale even want the job? He's got $12 million left on the contract. He can either just disappear from public life altogether or wait for awhile and take a tv job. A once or twice a week gig calling games. The Jon Gruden, Tony Dungy, Glen Mason route.

Not seeing any of those guys want to get back into a daily grind either.

I didn't say he would want the job, just that it may be worthwhile to gauge his interest. Couldn't hurt to inquire. Worst that could happen is he says no or the U decides he isn't the right guy for the job.

In regards to dpodoll, I think that as one of the most famous basketball players to ever play here, in addition to being the GM of the local NBA team, he would know a lot of people who would be interested in donating money to Gopher Athletics. I'd imagine potential donors interest would be peaked at the thought of getting to meet with McHale.

Once again, not saying he is a dream candidate or that he wants it, just that I think the U should consider giving him a call. Although if we decide to go with Prince or Dylan the Marching Band issues we are facing would most likely be solved.

I think that as one of the most famous basketball players to ever play here, in addition to being the GM of the local NBA team, he would know a lot of people who would be interested in donating money to Gopher Athletics. I'd imagine potential donors interest would be peaked at the thought of getting to meet with McHale.

You're confusing the average rube with people of immense wealth. Outside of the rare exception, people at that level don't have their hearts set atwitter at the thought of shaking hands with Kevin McHale. They're certainly not going to make transformational donations because of it.

Dr. Don for AD

Let's look at his resume:

-6-year Gopherholer
-Not involved in any UM scandals
-He's a doctor - a doctor of what, I have no idea; but he is.
-He bleeds maroon and gold
-Able to mobilize posters with his "Guess the score" posts.
-He travels well - living in Western Minnesota & Arizona.
These unique qualifying attributes make him perfect for the job.

...at least not publicly involved in any UM scandals. I do, however, worry that the good doctor may have a few skeletons.

That's what I think. I would start by looking for the skeletons, particularly Parski's. Suspicious and potential sites should include the fence in his back yard that faces towards Fargo, his wood chipper, Mabel's in Fergus Falls, Big Ole's statue in Alexandria.

Seems to be some hate for Mchale in Minnesota. Great Gopher legend and he did draft KG and he seems to be a decent guy.Don't really get why the public seems to be down on him. Doubt if he would ever have any interest in the job or if he would be any good at it either. But he was a heck of a Gopher. Still remember in the loaded Big Ten at the time how the gangly kid destroyed future NBA draft picks. Talked to him in the lobby at Williams once. Still remember Mark Hall walking by with a hip leather jacket and some funky boots. Always have had a soft spot for the kid from the Range.

I think this gets us back to the bigger question: What does the U Want/Need in a new AD?

Do they want a "business" type to manage the department (more of a behind-the-scenes type), or do they want a "personality" to schmooze donors and serve as the public face of the athletic department, while other staff people handle routine day-to-day business.

Obviously, Mc Hale would be more of a personality. I don't see him digging into the nitty-gritty of dealing with/worrying about the rowing team's budget, or Title IX compliance issues.

No hate for Kevin, he's just not qualified for the Job. Glad to see that many others agree.

Why would McHale even want the job? He's got $12 million left on the contract. He can either just disappear from public life altogether or wait for awhile and take a tv job. A once or twice a week gig calling games. The Jon Gruden, Tony Dungy, Glen Mason route.

Not seeing any of those guys want to get back into a daily grind either.

I see fishing on his boat on Sturgeon Lake north of Chisholm in his future, provided that's where his buddy Bean still keeps his boat; having some hot wings and beer at Bimbo's Octagon in Side Lake!! Woo Hoo!

Damn, I miss those wings at Bimbo's...

I didn't say he would want the job, just that it may be worthwhile to gauge his interest. Couldn't hurt to inquire. Worst that could happen is he says no or the U decides he isn't the right guy for the job.

In regards to dpodoll, I think that as one of the most famous basketball players to ever play here, in addition to being the GM of the local NBA team, he would know a lot of people who would be interested in donating money to Gopher Athletics. I'd imagine potential donors interest would be peaked at the thought of getting to meet with McHale.

Once again, not saying he is a dream candidate or that he wants it, just that I think the U should consider giving him a call. Although if we decide to go with Prince or Dylan the Marching Band issues we are facing would most likely be solved.

The worst that could happen is he actually took the job....yikes!

Another former gopher great basketball player is immensely more qualified for the job....Trent Tucker. No, I don't want him either but he actually holds a job in that field.

The worst that could happen is he actually took the job....yikes!

Another former gopher great basketball player is immensely more qualified for the job....Trent Tucker. No, I don't want him either but he actually holds a job in that field.

I am a big Trent Tucker fan, but I don't know if being the head AD of Minneapolis High Schools really makes you more qualified to be a division 1 athletic director than someone who was a GM for a pro team. Neither of those jobs are totally in line with what a D-1 AD does.

I am a big Trent Tucker fan, but I don't know if being the head AD of Minneapolis High Schools really makes you more qualified to be a division 1 athletic director than someone who was a GM for a pro team. Neither of those jobs are totally in line with what a D-1 AD does.

Like I said; I would not want either. But yes, being a AD to thousands of students (education system) in multiple sports is lights years closer than being a bad GM of a men's professional basketball team.

After further thoughts.

Trents hires (Leo Lewis...yes it's a reach) helped North reach a championship game. Kevin's sunk the wolves (not including Flip).

Trent has ethics, Mchale is a proven cheater.

Also please correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think Kevin graduated from college? If not; he's not qualified.

Just Stop!

Do you realize there is more to the job than fund-raising?

McHale wants a job with a big title, decision making authority, and no work.

Ironic that he got fired the year after having his team in the NBA Finals.........same as he did to Flip.

Edit: I should say conference finals for McHale.

Top Bottom