Kerwin Walton - yes or no?

GoldMedalCounty

Reaction score
Kerwin Walton’s going through a sophomore slump at Carolina. He had a solid freshman year averaging 21 minutes and 8+ pts per game while shooting 42% from three point range, but this year he’s only averaging 3.5 pts and shooting 32% on threes.

It might be time to transfer home to the friendly confines of the Barn…what do you say? If you’re coach Johnson, do you use a scholly on him?

Changing coaches sure put a damper on his career at Cheater U.

Does he fit? Not a big fan of being the perennial fallback school for local kids that go chasing the “bright lights”. By no means should he take a spot away for an upcoming high school spot.

Well, he isn't in the portal yet, but if he was 7 of our top 9 guys are listed as seniors.
Thompson and Battle play and still have eligibility. Thiam may be a portal possibility himself...so you got maybe 8 roster spots to fill. Are 4 spoken for so far? He'd probably be welcomed if he fits the culture.
You gotta balance the classes..can't take all freshmen. We do need a big post transfer even with Ihnen and Fox in the mix.

Does he fit? Not a big fan of being the perennial fallback school for local kids that go chasing the “bright lights”. By no means should he take a spot away for an upcoming high school spot.
Umm I think we should definitely take highly rated players that didn't succeed at their original schools. His potential is definitely much higher than many players that would come to the Gophers out of HS. I happen to love transfers. I would take a transfer that has a high ceiling over a freshman whose freshman year ceiling is moderate any day. "Transfer U", I'm all for it.

Did you wish Mbakwe hadn't transferred home? Really don't understand this stance.

And yes, I would take him if he wanted to transfer here.

If he really is a good player who just isn't a fit with the new coach, then by all means take him if he wants to be here. But it doesn't seem like anyone is accounting for the possibility that he's maybe only an okay player. Is he really just way better than anyone else we'll have a reasonable shot at it the transfer market this spring (assuming he transfers at all)? He's 7th on his team in points per game, and 11th in points per 40 minutes. I know it's North Carolina, and so they're probably allegedly flush with talent, but they're currently projected as a 10 seed, so I'd be a bit skeptical of the idea that he's just getting overshadowed by a glut of NBA talent. Maybe he'd be great here, I'll leave that to Ben Johnson to judge, but if Johnson likes some other player better that, as of today, I've never heard of, I'll probably trust him on that too.

Need a transfer point guard #1. #2? If BJ is cool with it, then yes.

That's a bit of a self-defeating stance, isn't it? If you've got a player able to help your team, then you don't let silly, misplaced pride stand in the way of adding that player to your team.

Beyond that, if some 17 or 18 year old kid made a decision they ended up regretting (I know, never happens, right?) in wanting to "chase the bright lights" and wishes to come home, you'd tell them what? "Uhmmm, nope. Sorry. You made your bed..." Would you really do that?

Forget that. Provided they fit and fill a need, you take the player and welcome them back home.

Yep take him for sure. As another poster said you have to balance the class. We have a few returning players and a good class for next year and definitely need to fill a few transfer spots, this fits the bill perfectly.

If the coaches think a player is a good fit I have zero issue with someone coming home or transferring in after it didn't work out at a premier school for them.

Really don't get your take on this one at all, we aren't in a position to hold grudges against players who didn't pick us out of high school but maybe had a change of heart later on.

Mitch Ohnstad, Steve Esselink, BEN JOHNSON, Brett Lawson, Adam Boone, Lawrence McKenzie, Trevor Mbakwe, Joey King, Reggie Lynch and Jamison Battle (also Parker Fox) all "transferred home" and played to varying levels of success. All made contributions to the team's successes.

I know not all of these players left for the "bright lights," but I think any player that can help the team's success (can contribute on the floor and/or enhance the culture) should be welcomed if we have roster spots.

If they want to be here, can contribute in some way and we have roster needs, why not?

(You could add Rick Rickert and Kris Humphries to the list as well. They committed elsewhere before changing their mind and coming home.)

Without a doubt, this shouldn't even be a question. He has a way higher ceiling then anyone currently on the Gophers roster. not counting incoming 2022 recruits.

Kerwin Walton’s going through a sophomore slump at Carolina. He had a solid freshman year averaging 21 minutes and 8+ pts per game while shooting 42% from three point range, but this year he’s only averaging 3.5 pts and shooting 32% on threes.

It might be time to transfer home to the friendly confines of the Barn…what do you say? If you’re coach Johnson, do you use a scholly on him?
Absofuckingloutly

I would take Garcia before Walton but if you land a PG then Walton makes sense for the third open scholly assuming they can bet Garcia.

I would take Garcia before Walton but if you land a PG then Walton makes sense for the third open scholly assuming they can bet Garcia.

I would 100% take him regardless, but would he have to sit out a year since he already transferred once? I can't keep track of the new transfer rules.

I would 100% take him regardless, but would he have to sit out a year since he already transferred once? I can't keep track of the new transfer rules.
IF he's actually already back home because of a family situation, he would probably get the waiver. If Liam Robbins and Both Gach could get them on the second go around, think Dawson would have a good chance, especially if he transferred home

IF he's actually already back home because of a family situation, he would probably get the waiver. If Liam Robbins and Both Gach could get them on the second go around, think Dawson would have a good chance, especially if he transferred home

I haven't heard anything about Garcia that would make me think his situation would be at all similar to either Gach or Liam, so unless there is something I don't know, I don't think those situations are comparable.

If you as a coach recruited him and wanted him out of HS because of his game + his character, then by all means you welcome him back with open arms.
That said, if you wanted him here just because of his talent and he doesn't fit your program, then let him go the other way.

I'm not so sure it has anything to do with the coaching changes, I think it's more about his shooting slump. That said, he absolutely fits a need. He is a wing who is an upperclassman. We don't want too large of a FR class next season. It destroys our class balance.

We have a minimum of 6 players leaving (likely 7). I don't expect our FR class next season to be more than 4 people, so I think we should expect to see 2-3 transfer players. At least one of those guys needs to be a PG. We really need an upperclassman wing on the roster next season. Walton would be a fit.

As to your last point, I just think it's self-defeating. I think of Ben Johnson as one of us and he returned home. In a couple of years, Carroll on the football team will feel just as much of a Gopher as Guedet. I don't think you bend over backwards to get every local kid who left but I don't think the fact that they left should be held against them.

I'd be interested in Walton depending on who else is available.

Garcia is interesting. He would be transferring into a pretty crowded front court. Our 23 frontcourt is projected to be pretty deep - Payne, Battle, Fox, Ihnen, Thompson, Olo-Joseph. I would take Garcia, but it's not a no-brainer for me.

Garcia is interesting. He would be transferring into a pretty crowded front court. Our 23 frontcourt is projected to be pretty deep - Payne, Battle, Fox, Ihnen, Thompson, Olo-Joseph. I would take Garcia, but it's not a no-brainer for me.
Yeah it's pretty crowded, but I'd take a talent like him anyway. Walton would be better in terms of position balance though.

Top Bottom