Kerwin Walton - yes or no?

I haven't heard anything about Garcia that would make me think his situation would be at all similar to either Gach or Liam, so unless there is something I don't know, I don't think those situations are comparable.
There not and that's my point, Gach and Liam transferred twice now, second time because the coach got fired, Think Gach and Liam played the sick relative card the first time around and the coach got fired card the second time around.
C'mon guys.....you take both Garcia and Walton in a heartbeat and we all do a little happy-dance!!
Absolutely, get the talent and figure it out from there.

C'mon guys.....you take both Garcia and Walton in a heartbeat and we all do a little happy-dance!!
I believe we will have 6 scholarships for next season.
  • Payne, Olo-Joseph, Carrington and Henley take 4 of them.
  • One of them HAS to be a PG right?
So there is essentially 1, maybe 2 scholarships available barring any transfers out.

If you have to pick, do you take Walton over Michael Jones (Davidson)?
If you have to pick, do you take Garcia over another wing with immediate eligibility?

We could certainly have other players transfer out and that changes the calculus. But barring any significant movement from what will be left of our current roster, it's not 100% no-brainer. That said, generally, I still agree with you.

Glad most of the posters can't make choices for the program. We got Daniels and Ogele this off season, and we're debating if there is a roster spot for Dawson Garcia?
Honest question, do you still feel the same way if he has to sit out next season? That actually changes things quite a bit for me.

Honest question, do you still feel the same way if he has to sit out next season? That actually changes things quite a bit for me.
In this day and age, would be tough to take a guy that has to sit out. Landscape is ripe with players that can contribute right now.

I doubt Garcia would sit out a year. If not eligible right away I can see G League or overseas.. IMO

In this day and age, would be tough to take a guy that has to sit out. Landscape is ripe with players that can contribute right now.
Especially considering he'd be sitting out to join a frontcourt in 2023 of Parker Fox (SR); Ihnen (SR); Battle (SR); Payne (SO); Olo-Joseph (SO); Thompson (JR).

I have no doubt he's better than most of those guys, but there are some fit issues with adding Garcia if he has to sit out a season.

Especially considering he'd be sitting out to join a frontcourt in 2023 of Parker Fox (SR); Ihnen (SR); Battle (SR); Payne (SO); Olo-Joseph (SO); Thompson (JR).

I have no doubt he's better than most of those guys, but there are some fit issues with adding Garcia if he has to sit out a season.
Parker would have to get a waiver to play, redshirted and played three at Northern, this is year five, next year is year six. I think with the extra year the NCAA gave out, I don't think they'll be inclined to give him a seventh year, if he can stay healthy next season

Parker would have to get a waiver to play, redshirted and played three at Northern, this is year five, next year is year six. I think with the extra year the NCAA gave out, I don't think they'll be inclined to give him a seventh year, if he can stay healthy next season
That's not accurate, as you're forgetting about the free COVID year last season.

Parker has two years left to play (assuming he sits this entire season).

That's not accurate, as you're forgetting about the free COVID year last season.

Parker has two years left to play (assuming he sits this entire season).
2017-18 redshirt, 2018-2019 played, 2019-2020 played, 2020-21 played, 2021-22 injured, 2022-2023 hopefully healthy, that is 1,2,3,4,5,6 years. He will have to get a waiver for the 7th year in 2023-2024

With four scholly's it would be a no brainer, I was thinking they had 3 left, they need a center, PG, and flexible on the other two, preferably guards.

2017-18 redshirt, 2018-2019 played, 2019-2020 played, 2020-21 played, 2021-22 injured, 2022-2023 hopefully healthy, that is 1,2,3,4,5,6 years. He will have to get a waiver for the 7th year in 2023-2024

Yeah, I assumed he would get another season. But if Parker Fox doesn't get another season, the calculus becomes a whole lot easier on Garcia :).

Yeah, I assumed he would get another season. But if Parker Fox doesn't get another season, the calculus becomes a whole lot easier on Garcia :).
ANd I'm not saying he couldn't be granted a waiver in this instance, I'm sure they'll be other similar kids in his boat in a couple years and I'm curious how it will play out, but if Parker wants to go the Tommyboy route and play for seven years, there's going to be that process

Don't shoot me if I'm wrong, but I think the Covid year stops the "5 to play 4" clock.......that's what I go listening to the guys on the BIG10 network earlier this year.....

Don't shoot me if I'm wrong, but I think the Covid year stops the "5 to play 4" clock.......that's what I go listening to the guys on the BIG10 network earlier this year.....
Yep. Exact same reason why Curry could in theory come back next season as well.

Do you take a kid who should 53% from 2 and 42% from 3 at unc? Who do you thing we are here? He's would be one of the easiest takes ever.
Can’t believe this a question. Kids a great kid and a good basketball player. If he wants back home he will be welcomed with open arms.

Can’t believe this a question. Kids a great kid and a good basketball player. If he wants back home he will be welcomed with open arms.
I fully agree. He put up impressive numbers as a freshman in the ACC. IMO he really considered the Gophers too when he made his decision (IIRC his mom wanted him here?)

Does anybody have a read on why he is struggling this year (34% FG, 32% 3PT)? Just being used differently after the coaching change?

I mean you never know why he has struggled this year, kind of the chicken/egg thing. Is he playing less because he is struggling or is he struggling because he is playing less? Again, hes a 19-20 yr old kid who knows. Most of us thought/hoped Gabe just had a bad soph year and he would explode the next 2 years, turns out maybe he just cant shoot. Meanwhile another guy changes coaches and it clicks and he goes to 18ppg on 50-40-90 shooting. He has a full year of performing at a blue blood, there is talent there no doubt. If this year has proven anything, Ben seems to get that out of kids. If he can get solid production from a 6th man from lafayette, a guy from W&M and a guy from New Hampshire, i feel pretty confident he can get good production from a 4* guy who performed in 20 min a game at UNC.

He is listed this year as a junior. If he doesn’t play and can get a medical redshirt he should have two years left

Mitch Ohnstad, Steve Esselink, BEN JOHNSON, Brett Lawson, Adam Boone, Lawrence McKenzie, Trevor Mbakwe, Joey King, Reggie Lynch and Jamison Battle (also Parker Fox) all "transferred home" and played to varying levels of success. All made contributions to the team's successes.

I know not all of these players left for the "bright lights," but I think any player that can help the team's success (can contribute on the floor and/or enhance the culture) should be welcomed if we have roster spots.

If they want to be here, can contribute in some way and we have roster needs, why not?

(You could add Rick Rickert and Kris Humphries to the list as well. They committed elsewhere before changing their mind and coming home.)
BeNW.

I believe we will have 6 scholarships for next season.

I do not know the answer to this, but why do you say six? By my count, I think we lose 7 scholarship players off of this year's roster and were already one short of the 13 man limit. It looks like to me we would return five scholarship players next season if they all came back. That would make 8 available scholarships (?).

It is possible I've messed this up, so I'm not trying to say I'm right. I'm more curiously working through it.

I would take Garcia before Walton but if you land a PG then Walton makes sense for the third open scholly assuming they can bet Garcia.

I have not followed either Garcia or Walton, but are there rumblings that they could return that you've heard, or are you offering speculation. I hadn't seen Garcia's name until it popped up in your post. Ben worked both of those kids as high schoolers, so I think it would be an absolute "take" on both at this point.

It doesn’t bother me. Can’t have 13 active players on scholarship be holy anyhow. I’d rather take a flyer on Garcia than take on a project like Konate.

I do not know the answer to this, but why do you say six? By my count, I think we lose 7 scholarship players off of this year's roster and were already one short of the 13 man limit. It looks like to me we would return five scholarship players next season if they all came back. That would make 8 available scholarships (?).

It is possible I've messed this up, so I'm not trying to say I'm right. I'm more curiously working through it.
Gotcha. Your math is probably right.

I didn't remember that we didn't use all our scholarships. So I just counted the guys who are leaving: Stephens, Sutherlin, Loewe, Willis, Daniels, and Ogele. I assumed Curry would be back.

So yeah, you're right, it looks like we'll have 7 or 8 scholarships depending upon Curry.

Garcia is on leave from North Carolina, it doesn't look like he is going to return this season, I guess the assumption is he will end up transferring.

Of course I would still take him if he has to sit out a year. He's Dawson Garcia. He's had an interesting college career so far, I could see him losing patience and trying the G league route next year

Of course I would still take him if he has to sit out a year. He's Dawson Garcia. He's had an interesting college career so far, I could see him losing patience and trying the G league route next year
I suppose I could see him go the G League route, that would never surprise me. But he has been about as good this year as Eric Curry.

I'd take him because I still think there is a special player in there, but a lot of that "it's Dawson Garcia" shine has worn off.

Dawson Garcia is going to be an interesting one. Just throwing this out there, I know circumstances appeared to have changed, but Gophers weren't on his radar before the move to North Carolina. It was Arizona, Illinois, North Carolina or a return to Marquette. Think he committed July 8th and Johnson was coach approx. 4 months prior to that.
Who he brings in this year is more interesting, to me at least, than who he brought in last year. Does he, or is he even able to, grab some power 6 players? Does he stick to the mid major guys?

Dawson Garcia is going to be an interesting one. Just throwing this out there, I know circumstances appeared to have changed, but Gophers weren't on his radar before the move to North Carolina. It was Arizona, Illinois, North Carolina or a return to Marquette. Think he committed July 8th and Johnson was coach approx. 4 months prior to that.
Who he brings in this year is more interesting, to me at least, than who he brought in last year. Does he, or is he even able to, grab some power 6 players? Does he stick to the mid major guys?
Good point. Ben has been clear that he isn't chasing stars or reputations, but fit in terms of culture and scheme. Pretty sure he won't look at where a guy has been as much as whether he thinks the guy can play on this team. An additional point is whether he can land enough quality guys to field a functionally complete roster no matter where they come from.

That said, if Dawson fits and wants to be here, it is a no-brainer.

Top Bottom