Kent's scrimmage thoughts, says Gray should move to WR permanently and Moses as QB2

If you're Brewster, the number 1 criteria is this:

"Which QB maximizes the chances of me still having a job on 1/1/2011".

For that reason I would guess that Moses vs. Marquies isn't really high on his radar screen. I think that unless he screws up (a very real possibility) Weber will be the starting QB come September. Whether he's still the starter in November is anyone's guess. Sounds like Horton is improving the chance of that being the case. But for Brewster to still be wearing maroon come December (let alone January) he has to do at least 2 of the 3 following things:

1.win at least 8 games

2.Get to a non-dogpooh bowl game

3.Beat at least one of our rivals (a trinket game, as smilin' Glen used to say)

You could argue that he really needs to do all 3 to save his job. Brewster is going to go with whichever QB maximizes the chances of that happening. For now that's Weber. If I were Brewster, I'd probably be resigned to the fact that if Weber goes down with an injury (or just blows) I might as well start freshening my resume and painting the house in neutral colors.

for Brewster to still be wearing maroon come December (let alone January) he has to do at least 2 of the 3 following things:

1.win at least 8 games

2.Get to a non-dogpooh bowl game

3.Beat at least one of our rivals (a trinket game, as smilin' Glen used to say)

Thanks for visiting the board, Mr. Maturi. You should come here and share with us your appraisals more often.

I will bet you any amount of money you desire that this will not happen. Seriously. Name your price.

Who's going to beat him out? Pryor? We'll see, he is one game removed from being a total bust.

No one else is super talented in the B10 this year and a clear first team B10, in my opinion, which is just as good as yours. Weber is poised to do very good things this year and I think he has as good a chance as anybody to be all B10.

Why is Alipate more raw and less developed than Gray?
Inexperienced in game time, less reps at practice, works out with the 2nd team offense, etc. I'm not saying he's far behind, but seeing as he redshirt and Gray played, Gray has had more time to grasp the offense.

Can Moses ever be taken seriously as a QB if he doesn't lose weight?

I don't know. We should probably ask Daunte Culpepper, Jamarcus Russell, Jared Lorenzen, etc.

Daunte is hardly in the league anymore (a backup in Detroit is hardly like being in the NFL) Jamarcus has done squat and the other guy is not exactly a hall of famer.

Daunte is hardly in the league anymore (a backup in Detroit is hardly like being in the NFL) Jamarcus has done squat and the other guy is not exactly a hall of famer.

I didn't know the gophers were in the nfl? maybe we can draft decker and keep him around for 5-6 more years? how did those 3 qb's do in college? pretty sure they all had good to great careers at their schools!

just because they had good college careers does not mean they were good QB's. The NFL exposed their obvious flaws, flaws they had all through college but they could get away with them in the college game

just because they had good college careers does not mean they were good QB's. The NFL exposed their obvious flaws, flaws they had all through college but they could get away with them in the college game

so if alipate becomes the starter and leads the u of mn to success but doesn't make the nfl or has a mediocre career in the nfl I'm to say it was because of his weight and he was a failure at the u of mn due to a poor nfl career. mind you culpepper was considered a top 5 qb at the height of his success.

if we would have stayed in the spread weber would be doing 10X better then the *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!# show I see from him week in and week out.

glad to see were talking about NFL potential

not the fact that Jamarcus had a 10-1 record his sophmore year. There only loss was to Georgia in the SEC chip. His junior season to a 10-2 record, winning the Sugar bowl.

or Culpepper, who would have gone to a major program if it was for his low scores on his ACT. But played all 4 years at UCF, and his senior season went 9-2. Broke just about every UCF record. Had the NCAA completion percentage record and at the time was the third player ever to top 10,000 passing and 1,000 rushing.

Another note, it's not a college coach's responsibility to get them ready for the NFL till AFTER there senior season, the college coach is already giving them somthing (a free education), so in return the player will give the coach the best chance to win.

so if alipate becomes the starter and leads the u of mn to success but doesn't make the nfl or has a mediocre career in the nfl I'm to say it was because of his weight and he was a failure at the u of mn due to a poor nfl career. mind you culpepper was considered a top 5 qb at the height of his success.

please re read the post. I did not say they did not have success, I said they were not good QB's. there is a HUGE difference. Take for example Eric Crouch, He had a very very good college career, but was not a good QB. You can have a lot of success in college based on a number of things all coming together at the right time. I would not discount Eric Crouch's success, he was highly successful but he was not a good Quarterback and neither were those others I mentioned.

Your barameter for taking a college QB serious is a little too high. Russell, Roethlisberger, Leftwhich, Culpepper were all extremely good COLLEGE QB's.

But we can use your incredibly high barameter if you'd prefer...
Moses is 6'5" 230lbs ----

Tom Brady 6'4" 225lbs
Peyton Manning 6'5" 230lbs
Joe Flacco 6'6" 235 lbs
Philip Rivers 6'5" 238 lbs
Mark Sanchez 6'2" 225 lbs
Big Ben 6'5" 241 lbs
Matt Schaub 6'5" 240 lbs
Mathew Stafford 6'3" 232 lbs

It is fine to say that a guy is not a good NFL QB, but you cannot generalize and say that a player is not a good QB just because they fail at that position in the NFL. You can be a good college QB and not a good NFL QB.

Who's going to beat him out? Pryor? We'll see, he is one game removed from being a total bust.

No one else is super talented in the B10 this year and a clear first team B10, in my opinion, which is just as good as yours. Weber is poised to do very good things this year and I think he has as good a chance as anybody to be all B10.

Of the 10 QBs with the highest rating last year, 6 are back.

Of the 7 QBs who averaged more passing yards per game last year than Weber, 4 are back.

please re read the post. I did not say they did not have success, I said they were not good QB's. there is a HUGE difference. Take for example Eric Crouch, He had a very very good college career, but was not a good QB. You can have a lot of success in college based on a number of things all coming together at the right time. I would not discount Eric Crouch's success, he was highly successful but he was not a good Quarterback and neither were those others I mentioned.

You are limiting yourself to a very specific idea of what 'you' think a QB is, versus what it really is. Eric Crouch wasn't an NFL QB, but he was a fantastic collegiate QB. The fact that he didn't play in a pro-style offense doesn't diminish his skills. A QB is simply the guy who usually takes the snap from center. Option QBs are not lesser players than pro-style ones. People with your point of view are way too hung up on NFL potential, which is irrelevant when evaluating collegiate players.

Top Bottom