Kent's piece

husker70

Reaction score
Was superficial at best, but the most telling sentence was,

"The offensive line started slow but picked up steam as the scrimmage wore on."

This speaks volumes to Coach Horton's desire to run the ball. If you are a devotee of pounding the rock, its a lot like busting concrete with a sledge hammer. You hammer, and hammer and then the crack, and the rest is just picking up the pieces. But you cannot just talk about breaking the concrete, quit when it doesn't shatter with the first blow, or abandon it as just too hard.

Too often, in recent history we have run the ball with ease and punished no one. We have gone into big games and run the ball three times and abandoned it because it looked like we were going no where. We have abandoned it when teams showed eight or nine in box, in favor of 40 yard heaves in the wind and rain at Northwestern. With all the rushing yards, all the 1,000 yard rusher we never were running the ball with ease in the 4th quarter running out the clock. With both Maroney and Barber available we didn't have desire to pound the rock. Barber and Tapeh were punishing runners, make no mistake. But when push came to shove we threw the ball. We have spent our time looking for a QB and fleet recievers who can stretch the field and run 4.3. We roared and chortled when Asad opened the season with hand off and pitch back heave for a TD. Opening game how great is that.
That is fools gold.

Coach Horton is right on about running the ball, moving the chains consistently, and running ball late in the game to use clock. Running the ball effectively late in a game is a result of committment. With the lead and 4 minutes left should not be roller coaster, a house of horrors, it should be 5 first downs. Maybe 15 running plays, and standing in the huddle as the fans count 5,4,3,2,1. That is pounding rock. Thank you Coach Horton.

I believe it went something like this. throw, run, oh crap it's third and seven, we better throw. And then punt.

Not much ops to run in that scenario.

Thank you Gopherfan75

At least on in the hole I know I have a proof readers. I went back and corrected my errors.

The Trib not so much. This from Kent's bog.

I think Adam Weber looked pretty good. Granted, he was going against a defense missing its top two middle linebackers and a starting safety, but he was effective, accurate and confident in his decisions. I truly belive Jeff Gorton was a great hire.

Does he mean Jeff Gordon? Did he give up the NASCAR gig?

Haha Gordon would give us some great publicity. By the way, I did like your original post and I agree with your philosophy on not giving up on the run and it's good to hear we will commit to it this year. Thanks for posting.
________
YAMAHA YZF-R125

Yup, even when we had a storied running attack we couldn't close the game against the good teams running the ball late in the game. It is true we could against MAC caliber teams, but... We need these NFL bodies on the OL (granted most aren't starting yet) and RBs like the incoming freshmen. A good start by the looks of yesterday's scrimmage, but the best is yet to come. The mentality precedes the performance.

Top Bottom