Kent State is expected to hire Minnesota running backs coach/assistant head coach Kenni Burns as its next head coach.

Congratulations to Coach Burns. I think this is a huge opportunity for him.

It’s also a big deal for our program and shows that if you coach at Minnesota with Fleck you can move up the coaching ranks.

My perspective on coaches coming/going has certainly evolved under Coach Fleck.

Because we are not yet an elite, top of the pecking order football program, it should not be a surprise that even modest success on the field will translate to the coaching staff. Factors that the HC and AD do control are assistant salaries, perks, and facilities. Across these I think it is fair to say Minnesota is improving overall.

What these "controllable factors" are competing with is individual desire and coaching goals that then intersect with opportunities that arise in other programs. All in all moves like Coach Burns is taking is a positive on the program overall. Coach Fleck knows this and will tack accordingly.

The flip side to all this is when any given coach is not performing, and when do you pull the plug. Coach Fleck is not a reactionary here and we have good evidence that he does reach the "enough is enough point" and makes a change. I'm far more concerned here and believe we're doing okay overall under Coach Fleck.

Good luck to Coach Burns.

Kent State plays at Fresno, at Arkansas, and at UCF next year. Tough non-con schedule.

Could we see Kenni in the B1G again someday if he succeeds quickly? I saw Indiana put out a congratulatory tweet and he is an alum. Something to follow.

Top Bottom