Kent State is expected to hire Minnesota running backs coach/assistant head coach Kenni Burns as its next head coach.

CRAP - a real loss. Interested to see who PJ hires. A key position. Please find someone who can recruit Ohio/Penn. to offset Fickle.

A big loss.....hope this means nothing when it comes to the verbals of Williams and Taylor.

Big loss but a big opportunity for a new hire, our offense has been RB heavy for a little bit of time now. Could be a desirable destination for some coaches

Congrats to Coach Burns.

I know it sucks to lose coaches, but if Fleck is doing it correctly, we'll lose LOTS of em.
I was going to like that post, but I don’t like it because you hate to loose good coaches. That’s the name of the game though, you want good coaches and so does everyone else. Good luck to you.

Burns was the lead recruiter for both
True. But they would be unlikely to want to follow him to the MAC and we still have the same head coach and OC so the system they committed to is not going to change.

Sure they are bummed to see him go but highly doubt it will affect their status here.

going from the Golden Gophers to the Golden Flashes.

the thing is, every situation is unique. some coaches are clearly on the track to move up the ladder and become a head coach. Other people may not want to deal with some of the baggage that comes with being the head man. And with assistant coaching salaries improving, you can have a good career and make solid money as a position coach or coordinator.

it all depends on what that individual wants.

good for him....he will certainly be missed!

True. But they would be unlikely to want to follow him to the MAC...
Not concerned at all that they would follow him there, but they do have a number of offers out there, including:

Taylor: Michigan, Iowa, Maryland, Michigan St, Purdue, Rutgers, etc.

Williams: AZ St, Arkansas, Iowa, Maryland, Michigan St, Notre Dame, etc.

I am still considering them commits here, and am not trying to say that I believe that they will move now that Burns has gone, but I worry like a parent when my kids are out too late.

Wow - congrats to him!

going from the Golden Gophers to the Golden Flashes.

the thing is, every situation is unique. some coaches are clearly on the track to move up the ladder and become a head coach. Other people may not want to deal with some of the baggage that comes with being the head man. And with assistant coaching salaries improving, you can have a good career and make solid money as a position coach or coordinator.

it all depends on what that individual wants.
All that to say nothing. "some people want this. some do not"

Not concerned at all that they would follow him there, but they do have a number of offers out there, including:

Taylor: Michigan, Iowa, Maryland, Michigan St, Purdue, Rutgers, etc.

Williams: AZ St, Arkansas, Iowa, Maryland, Michigan St, Notre Dame, etc.

I am still considering them commits here, and am not trying to say that I believe that they will move now that Burns has gone, but I worry like a parent when my kids are out too late.
Anything is possible in recruiting. But it would be pretty foolish to base your college decision on the position coach because those guys move around a lot.

He applied for a HC position in Arizona as well and didn't get it. As a result of this, I'm sure Fleck knew it was a matter of time before he was gone. If I remember correctly, he has a list of names for each position on his staff should someone leave. That may be Coyle though. I forget which one has a list like that. Perhaps they all do.

Congrats to Coach Burns if this ends up being true. Sucks to lose him but that is a nice jump going all the way from position coach to a head coach.
Yeah, can't be mad about this one. It's not like he's going to do the same job at another peer school. Big opportunity to run a FBS program, one that's given Glen Mason, Don James, Darrell Hazell, Dean Pees, and others their first HC shot. Gopher co-DC Paul Haynes also recently helmed that program.

Nuts. But good for him. Will be paying more attention to Kent State now.

He applied for a HC position in Arizona as well and didn't get it. As a result of this, I'm sure Fleck knew it was a matter of time before he was gone. If I remember correctly, he has a list of names for each position on his staff should someone leave. That may be Coyle though. I forget which one has a list like that. Perhaps they all do.

Good point. Double edged sword that comes with having good coordinators and success on the field.

It’s a positive thing to me. Build a Fleck coaching tree. Could end up a good trade partner of sorts with the transfer portal.

As a side note there was like a ten page thread on the WMU forum talking about Matt Simon as a HC candidate. They went a different route, but Simon appears pretty popular there among some, just like here.

True. But they would be unlikely to want to follow him to the MAC and we still have the same head coach and OC so the system they committed to is not going to change.

Sure they are bummed to see him go but highly doubt it will affect their status here.
PJ and Burns have both known something like this would happen. They have a strong relationship.

My guess is that before Burns actually leaves he will tell both of these backs that Minnesota is the best place for them and to honor their commitments.

Top Bottom