Kelly threatens boycott

Not shocking, first Declan Sullivan and now this. Brian Kelly is an extraordinary level of awful.

The reality is that there will be plenty of people that disagree with the restrictions and their value but threatening a boycott over it is just stupid.

Sure, reasonable people can disagree on a lot of it. However, if it's safe enough to have a game of football, it's safe enough to have the parents sit in the stadium. If it's not safe enough to get 1,000 folks into a 70,000 capacity stadium, then the game shouldn't be played. But we all know the game brings in $$.

This isn't just a difference of opinion (of which I completely agree with you), this is hypocritical money grab and the regulations are merely a show.

Not shocking, first Declan Sullivan and now this.

Yeah, I know after the student died while filming a decade ago I was thinking "I bet this first year head coach is going to complain about parents not being able to watch something like the final four for football in the stands in the middle of a pandemic caused by a flu originating from Chinese wet markets."

Wrong. You can't change the rules just so some kid gets to have his Mommy in the stands. Everyone needs to take the responsibility to keep the virus down. There are a lot of things that are not fair and millions of people have made sacrifices much greater than just not having their parents attend a football game.
Moving the game out of Pasadena doesn’t take away responsibility for keeping the virus down. Millions of people have made sacrifices and California may have to sacrifice the Rose Bowl.

Moving the game to a state that allows fans in the stands isn’t a big deal.

Sure, reasonable people can disagree on a lot of it. However, if it's safe enough to have a game of football, it's safe enough to have the parents sit in the stadium. If it's not safe enough to get 1,000 folks into a 70,000 capacity stadium, then the game shouldn't be played. But we all know the game brings in $$.

This isn't just a difference of opinion (of which I completely agree with you), this is hypocritical money grab and the regulations are merely a show.
False dilemma and binary fallacy.

Moving the game out of Pasadena doesn’t take away responsibility for keeping the virus down. Millions of people have made sacrifices and California may have to sacrifice the Rose Bowl.

Moving the game to a state that allows fans in the stands isn’t a big deal.
The CFP can move the game, but they don’t own the rights to call it the Rose Bowl.

It will have to be called “CFP semi-final” or something equally silly.

ND getting steam rolled so Kelly's dilemma is a moot point. Not a good decision on his part for complaining and he definitely comes off as tone deaf.

ND getting steam rolled so Kelly's dilemma is a moot point. Not a good decision on his part for complaining and he definitely comes off as tone deaf.

Heck I salute Kelly!

People were saying it was an empty threat. Then he went out and proved that he DIDN'T want to play in the Rose Bowl!

Totally ridiculous post. Who is grabbing the money? regulations are a show? That is the exactly the type of uninformed, selfish attitudes that have caused this mess and will prevent us from fixing it.

Have you even looked at the infection rates in California?

Screen Shot 2020-12-19 at 9.59.31 PM.jpg

Will all of the hospital at capacity and thousands of people dying every day, using tracker trailers as morgues, the authorities do not have the time to mess with trying to force a few thousand people to keep there distance. I would much rather have the authorities helping those who are sick, not those who want to get sick!

Totally ridiculous post. Who is grabbing the money? regulations are a show? That is the exactly the type of uninformed, selfish attitudes that have caused this mess and will prevent us from fixing it.

Have you even looked at the infection rates in California?

View attachment 10921

Will all of the hospital at capacity and thousands of people dying every day, using tracker trailers as morgues, the authorities do not have the time to mess with trying to force a few thousand people to keep there distance. I would much rather have the authorities helping those who are sick, not those who want to get sick!
Your position on this has been abundantly clear to even the most casual of observers. Kudos.

I wish I could say there was a point where this was a meaningful exchange of ideas but unfortunately, that's not been the case since early in the thread.

And the correct decision has been made.

Last edited:

It won't be called the Rose Bowl.

The city of Pasadena and Tournament of Roses, own that intellectual property. The CFP can't use it.

The game at Jerryworld will be "the CFP semi-final game" or some such other silly name.

It won't be called the Rose Bowl.

The city of Pasadena and Tournament of Roses, own that intellectual property. The CFP can't use it.

The game at Jerryworld will be "the CFP semi-final game" or some such other silly name.

I agree and certainly hope so but there is a precedent for it. Got a Gopher tie-in too.

In the early 1940s, the champion of the Pacific Coast Conference got to choose its opponent for New Year’s Day.

Oregon State — by virtue of a 7-2 record and a victory over rival Oregon in the regular-season finale — wanted No. 1 Minnesota, but the Gophers were barred from postseason play by their conference.

Second-ranked Duke was the second choice, and the Blue Devils quickly accepted. Smith recalls: “We were elated.” Their delight lasted less than two weeks — until the Japanese raid.

The Rose Bowl had continued through World War I, but this situation was different.

President Franklin D. Roosevelt warned the American public about further attacks on U.S. soil. On Dec. 13, military leaders contacted California Gov. Culbert Olson, who then sent a directive to the Tournament of Roses Assn.

Olson’s telegram said that “the unusually large gathering of people known to the enemy, exposing them to the dangers now threatening, requires that plans for holding of this tournament and football game be abandoned..

I agree and certainly hope so but there is a precedent for it. Got a Gopher tie-in too.

In the early 1940s, the champion of the Pacific Coast Conference got to choose its opponent for New Year’s Day.

Oregon State — by virtue of a 7-2 record and a victory over rival Oregon in the regular-season finale — wanted No. 1 Minnesota, but the Gophers were barred from postseason play by their conference.

Second-ranked Duke was the second choice, and the Blue Devils quickly accepted. Smith recalls: “We were elated.” Their delight lasted less than two weeks — until the Japanese raid.

The Rose Bowl had continued through World War I, but this situation was different.

President Franklin D. Roosevelt warned the American public about further attacks on U.S. soil. On Dec. 13, military leaders contacted California Gov. Culbert Olson, who then sent a directive to the Tournament of Roses Assn.

Olson’s telegram said that “the unusually large gathering of people known to the enemy, exposing them to the dangers now threatening, requires that plans for holding of this tournament and football game be abandoned..

Thanks for sharing.

Regardless, the City of Pasadena and the TOR have to voluntarily decide to allow the game to be called the Rose Bowl. They can't be forced. Maybe they'll choose to do so, but I hope they don't.

There is no harm caused and no value lost if the game isn't called "Rose Bowl". ESPN and CFP suffer no injury and have no right to sue for anything.

Top Bottom