Keep Tracy Claeys as the Head Coach of the Minnesota Gophers Football Team

Claeys should not be retained. He served his purpose. He had an opportunity to serve it for another year, then put his foot in his mouth. He's not a power 5 head coach, end of story. I do believe he would have been shown the door no matter what next year, but he's done too much damage. If he had any respect for the program he would resign after the bowl game.

Claeys needs to go. The body is a temple and he treats his like a dumpster. The fat and obese have self control issues. If one cannot control their weight then how can they control a college football team? I know Harbaugh's players would not have held a boycott......

Not very God-like...your comments are silly and assure nobody will take you serious...at all. You probably had issues with JK and his siezures too. Bubba Watson has ADHD and mental issues....probably shouldn't be a pro golfer. Bo Jackson stutters...

Claeys should not be retained. He served his purpose. He had an opportunity to serve it for another year, then put his foot in his mouth. He's not a power 5 head coach, end of story. I do believe he would have been shown the door no matter what next year, but he's done too much damage. If he had any respect for the program he would resign after the bowl game.

If the gophers football job had been available on the open market would this resume be a serious candidate?

A couple of games interim head coaching experience
Massive mismanagement of game situations during that interim experience.
Longtime defensive coordinator.
Best record as a power 5 d coordinator 8-5.
Zero conference titles as an assistant at the FBS level.

If the gophers football job had been available on the open market would this resume be a serious candidate?

He had a much better resume than Pat Fitzgerald had when he took over, and he is finishing his 11th season. What's your point?

Really. This is TC's resume? I'm looking for a new gig. Can you throw together something that accentuates my positives? I see you've got a knack.

Forgot Top 20 defenses. Wait....sorry, doesn't fit your narrative. Never mind.

Resigning would be the only way the program saves face. Otherwise as other posters have said you are screwing the program for years. There is so much we don't know behind the scenes that things need to play out. If you let things calm down and keep the program moving forward you can make a move next year if need be. This year you might be able to get Glenn Caruso or Mike Grant but that's about all you are going to get that want to take this mess over especially with all signs then pointing to no support by the administration. Unless they pony up huge dollars...which given the past history is not going to happen.

Claeys just went 8-4 in his first year as a B1G head coach. That is now also on his resume. Who cares what his resume looked like a year ago.

My preference is to keep Claeys as he has produced some of the better defenses in my lifetime and got off to a good start in his first year. Is he everything I want in a head coach? Charismatic, fiery, personable, a good 'face of the program?' No, but I would rather win football games.

My preference is to keep Claeys as he has produced some of the better defenses in my lifetime and got off to a good start in his first year. Is he everything I want in a head coach? Charismatic, fiery, personable, a good 'face of the program?' No, but I would rather win football games.

Exactly.

Forgot Top 20 defenses. Wait....sorry, doesn't fit your narrative. Never mind.

You can look at statistics all you want and make any argument you want with them. Of course it fits my narrative, as your use of stats fits yours.

Do you think TC would have been a candidate for a similar job to the gophers?

If Indiana was looking for a head coach would TC's resume two years ago made him a candidate? I think not.

I think his defenses are highly overrated. The offensive style of play keeps total yards and points down. They have a knack for giving up big plays. They play a style I do not personally believe in philosophically. I am a much larger believer in zone when you are a less talented team trying to play above your talent level.

He had a much better resume than Pat Fitzgerald had when he took over, and he is finishing his 11th season. What's your point?
If he was one of the most famous football alumni of Minnesota he may have been a candidate with the resume he had.

Pat Fitzgerald wouldn't have been a candidate for many big ten jobs the year before he was hired at northwestern.

You can look at statistics all you want and make any argument you want with them. Of course it fits my narrative, as your use of stats fits yours.

Do you think TC would have been a candidate for a similar job to the gophers?

If Indiana was looking for a head coach would TC's resume two years ago made him a candidate? I think not.

So, because you don't think IU would have hired him he was a bad fit for MN? All that matters is if he was a good fit at MN and he had a history here to support that idea.

I think his defenses are highly overrated.

Good Talk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, because you don't think IU would have hired him he was a bad fit for MN? All that matters is if he was a good fit at MN and he had a history here to support that idea.

Good Talk.

Look at advanced statistics and see if his top 20 defenses are still top 20 defenses

I think he is a bad fit for Minnesota as well. Not running a scheme you can win above your talent with, in my opinion.

I'm not a big stat wonk, I'm just going by the eye test. So I don't have any knowledge on if football outsiders has good advanced statistics but when I googled college football advanced stats it was the first that popped up.

I'm not saying these are the rankings of the defense are the end all be all, just trying to make the point that not everyone thinks our defense has been amazing:
2016 - 36th 25th in P5
2015 - 63rd 42nd in P5
2014 - 41st 31st in P5
2013 - 47th
2012 - 58th

We're looking at two potentially horrific recruiting classes and a guy who isn't going to win in the family room. Additionally our presumed starter at QB Seth Green may not be able to play next year further impacting odds of success next year. To have faith that Claeys works you have to believe we win the bowl game and then go 10-2 next year. Who thinks this is possible?

We're looking at two potentially horrific recruiting classes and a guy who isn't going to win in the family room. Additionally our presumed starter at QB Seth Green may not be able to play next year further impacting odds of success next year. To have faith that Claeys works you have to believe we win the bowl game and then go 10-2 next year. Who thinks this is possible?

Possible? Sure.

Now to think that would be the only way it would keeping Claeys would work, now that seems rather impossible.

You think 2016's recruiting class was horrific? Yeah, you seem like a good person to have a level headed conversation about Gopher Football with. I could easily pick apart every sentence in your post, but I'll stop there. Seems you follow the team really closely.

I'm not a big stat wonk, I'm just going by the eye test. So I don't have any knowledge on if football outsiders has good advanced statistics but when I googled college football advanced stats it was the first that popped up.

I'm not saying these are the rankings of the defense are the end all be all, just trying to make the point that not everyone thinks our defense has been amazing:
2016 - 36th 25th in P5
2015 - 63rd 42nd in P5
2014 - 41st 31st in P5
2013 - 47th
2012 - 58th

Link? And let's compare our defenses over the past 5 years to the previous 30.

And who cares what Claeys resume looked like 2 years ago. He just went 8-4 in a power 5 conference.

What is your point? If they are good at what they do, then they will land somewhere. If not, I am sure they can land a job teaching gym class somewhere. Coaching football is far from a noble profession. Not exactly aspiring to cure cancer, eh?

Actually its a very noble profession. Coaches hold great influence and can a long lasting effect on young people's lives. In college sports these young people have far more contact with there coaches than they do their parents.

My point? You don't uproot families on a whim or without considering the impact. I couldn't care less about a head coach making millions per year who could choose to never work again. Assistant coaches don't have that luxury; sure they make good money but they can't go years without working.

Link? And let's compare our defenses over the past 5 years to the previous 30.

And who cares what Claeys resume looked like 2 years ago. He just went 8-4 in a power 5 conference.
Google football outsiders. Again I don't even know if it is a good site. The point being they are not near the elite defense some want to pretend they have been.

They have been better than the previous 25 years on average yes, but I don't think that being better than one of the bottom dwellers necessarily means you have been dominant

Are we really going to entertain some looney bird now arguing that TC wasn't a successful/great DC? This is just stupid. Either he hates TC that much or he follows Alabama most Saturdays and catches an occasional Gopher game. Some guys.....

Are we really going to entertain some looney bird now arguing that TC wasn't a successful/great DC? This is just stupid. Either he hates TC that much or he follows Alabama most Saturdays and catches an occasional Gopher game. Some guys.....

Didn't say he wasn't a good d coordinator. Said his defenses were not elite. Said they were overrated due to the style of play of the offense holding defensive numbers down.

Certainly above average to good. Certainly not elite

Didn't say he wasn't a good d coordinator. Said his defenses were not elite. Said they were overrated due to the style of play of the offense holding defensive numbers down.

Certainly above average to good. Certainly not elite

Agreed. They were 5th just in the B1G west points allowed and finished as the 4th best team in the west, that's not a coincidence. Who cares how many yards they gave up. You don't win games by giving up fewer yards.

2016 - 36th 25th in P5
2015 - 63rd 42nd in P5
2014 - 41st 31st in P5
2013 - 47th
2012 - 58th

What's your source? These don't look correct or they are not Total Defense rankings. Gophs are ranked #23 this year in total defense, and #20 in rush defense...so their theoretical pass defense (NCAA does not have that ranking) rank would be somewhere in the high 20s.

Google football outsiders. Again I don't even know if it is a good site. The point being they are not near the elite defense some want to pretend they have been.

They have been better than the previous 25 years on average yes, but I don't think that being better than one of the bottom dwellers necessarily means you have been dominant

I'll stick with the NCAA official stats and rankings. By those rankings, his recent defenses are pretty close to elite. See my other recent post.

What's your source? These don't look correct or they are not Total Defense rankings. Gophs are ranked #23 this year in total defense, and #20 in rush defense...so their theoretical pass defense (NCAA does not have that ranking) rank would be somewhere in the high 20s.

Gophers are ranked 67th in the country in pass yards allowed per game. And they played only 4 teams that were ranked in the top 90 in pass yards per game.

Top Bottom