K-State student athletes are taking a stand against racism

Two things can be true at once. Floyd did not deserve to die and he was a despicable person, a true menace to society, truly a burden. Does not in any way excuse what that policeman did.

A menace to society?? Seems a bit dramatic. By all accounts, he was on a much better path in Minneapolis, wasn't he. People CAN turn
You might see Floyd as "despicable, a true menace, a burden," but I see him as a symbol and a victim of systemic racism. He grew up in single parent household in a large public housing project in a section of Houston known as "The Brick." Ya, some kids beat the odds coming out of that environment, but a lot of kids don't escape the violence, drugs, and gangs. I'd guess your description of him comes from his criminal history; so are you calling over two million other black men that are in prison that also?

Floyd's first conviction came from a theft, not an armed robbery like some people claim. Then he had a series of convictions where he is pretty much a poster boy for the racism that was seen in the broken window, police sweeps type of actions that Houston and much of the U.S. was following in George Floyd's 20's and 30's. There was jail time for refusing to provide identification to a policeman and also for selling less than $10 worth of crack. BTW, NAACP's stats have drug use between whites and blacks as the same; yet blacks have six times more the incarceration rate. Talk about racism. The poor white person is seen as a victim in the opioid crises because he or she is dealing with losing a job. The black guy is just a criminal or drug dealer. You've also got asshole drug CEO's and salesman getting probation after getting convicted of pushing huge amounts of opioids that literally killed many people; while a black guy who's selling small amounts on the streets gets prison time for selling grams of crack.

No excuse for George Floyd's last conviction which was for an armed robbery, except that there was no mention of the woman being pregnant that he held the gun on. Very typical of Fox to give a whole lot of people a distraction or a type of sick excuse for him getting murdered and to avoid the racism. Sort of like the jogger deserving to being gunned down because he went into the house being constructed. Hell, we've got a guy on this thread claiming it was almost as bad as getting to choked to death by a cop in broad daylight. I know you didn't that, but I am disappointed in your view of George Floyd.

He appears to have moved to Minnesota because he knew he had to give himself a new start. He was volunteering at a church; there were quite a few people who thought he was a good guy; he still stayed in contact with his kids; he had a job until the pandemic hit. (Pretty sure you have seen how much tougher the pandemic has been on minorities.) All in all, he seems like a decent guy just trying to get by. Still making mistakes, but trying to make his move to Minnesota work out.

Thank YOU for posting this! I've literally been thinking some of the same things since I read those comments this weekend. Spot on

This is taking off on what Mulligan first stated, and it's something I wrote in a Facebook response to the abhorrent Candace Owens video that she streamed:
So, let's address that history-yes, Floyd had a long rap sheet starting in '97 and culminating in aggravated robbery with a deadly weapon in 2007, which lead to a 5 year prison stint from 2009-2014.
* In 2014, he moved from Houston to Minneapolis to get a fresh start. He had two jobs (truck driver and bouncer) and did not have any criminal record during that time period until his death.
* There's several links and stories, including Christianity Today, stating that Floyd was an active Church member who mentored area youth. This was not mentioned by Owens.
* She did mention the drugs that were found in Floyd's toxicology report and concluded that he was back on track as a "career black criminal".
TIME OUT: So, to recap about Floyd's history, as I can piece it together: He had an extensive criminal history for a 10 year period, which seems to have coincided with hard drug use. After getting out of prison, his record was clean, he was working two jobs, and involved in his church and mentoring. Isn't this the ideal track that we want criminals to take after being in jail? I forgot to mention, but it was reported that he'd been out of work with the onset of COVID-19 quarantine and having contracted the disease himself. Anyone who knows or has worked with someone who struggles with addiction knows that stress exacerbates and causes people to backslide into addiction-and I'd have to think Floyd suddenly being unemployed for a period of 2 months was causing him some stress. All this being said, it really doesn't matter, because there was absolutely no reason for the police officer to have his knee on his neck for 8 minutes and 46 seconds with nearly three minutes of that time being unresponsive.
Agree. Please remember that i have said many times that he did not deserve to be murdered. I am still entitled to my own opinion of decent human behavior and i respect your own. Very aware of what a strong recovery program looks like and each person is still responsible for their behavior. Addiction does not entitle excuses. No one knows his sobriety date. I like 2nd chances but what about 2,3,4, 5. Selfishly i am just pleased my daughters and grandaughters are revolted by men that act how he did. The police officers are even worse. Rarely agree with Owens but i respect someone who takes responsibility as a human to not break laws and physically threaten others. I have made my own mistakes and their have been consequences. I was very fortunate to be raised with rules and consequences and merit based. My parents did not tell us that we had to be twice as good as white people, they taught us we had the chance to be as good as we could be but only by being true to ourselves and by the rules of society. Our language allowed us as humans to thrive in education and for my Grandfather, no excuses ever. Each person has to decide for themselves how to conduct themselves. My spirit hurts for Floyd and his loved ones for the loss of his life and for all the pain he experienced in his life and the cruel torture he caused others.

A menace to society?? Seems a bit dramatic. By all accounts, he was on a much better path in Minneapolis, wasn't he. People CAN turn

Thank YOU for posting this! I've literally been thinking some of the same things since I read those comments this weekend. Spot on
Yes this would be exhibit A if you wish to make an argument regarding systemic racism. Unfortunately most don't want to hear any part of this. I linked 13th. It addresses much of this. Thanks for doing it anyway.

People can turn. Menace to society by the horrible fear he caused others. Selling and using drugs is a horrible problem in society . None of us know how he took care of his daughter, who he sold drugs to or when he used. Either way he should not have been murdered but in my opinion he damaged lives, broke laws, burdened the system.

People can turn. Menace to society by the horrible fear he caused others. Selling and using drugs is a horrible problem in society . None of us know how he took care of his daughter, who he sold drugs to or when he used. Either way he should not have been murdered but in my opinion he damaged lives, broke laws, burdened the system.

The Wall Street Journal lays out his whole journey pretty fairly and well.

Yes this would be exhibit A if you wish to make an argument regarding systemic racism. Unfortunately most don't want to hear any part of this. I linked 13th. It addresses much of this. Thanks for doing it anyway.
Agree with systemic racism issue especially real estate deeds and a horrible welfare system. Minneapolis is one of the very worst on these. All bad cops have to go, no person should have to fear the police. The vast amount are good at what they do. No one should ever be pulled over because of the color of their skin. We have come along way and of course we have a long way to go.

The Wall Street Journal lays out his whole journey pretty fairly and well.
Read it and also all the official accounts of his criminal past in the communities he lived in. Research reveals witness testimony on the aggravated robbery. Drug sales is different than drug use although drug use employs the sale of drugs but the actual sale destroys lives.

I said nothing about two million people, it is case by case, person by person for me. So much of what you say about incarceration is true. As a person of color i feel strongly about systemic racism but i also believe in people following rules and laws and not self inflicting self suffering regardless of color. Taking personal responsibility for yourself is critical and yes, kids that are taught that at home have great advantages. Everyone i know that made it followed rules and order. There are wonderful people of every color and creed and horrible people of every color and creed. I look at white collar pharma criminals in the same vane as cartel and gang street dealers. I said Floyd did not deserve to be murdered. I do see him in a very different way then you do. Breaking into home in a robbery is a vicious and vile display of what it means to be human. Second chance, ok....but what of minimizing his repeated poor choices. What of the people he scared to death. In touch with his kids, what about being there for them. Fyi, i do not watch fox news. I research the public record on what George Floyd did. I respect your opinion but i have my own. In my world no one gets a free card of excuses without taking some personal responsibility. As a society we can do so much better, to help in the right way.

Thanks for the thoughtful answer. Appreciate your perspective. I don't think we're that far apart on responsibility, but I guess I put more emphasis on Floyd's life after he moved to Minneapolis while you put the emphasis on those years in Houston after he came back from college. I just happen to think he was redeeming his life and he deserves respect and foregiveness for that.

I think your reasons for seeing him the way you do are different from some of the posters. I see some dwelling on his criminal past and the rioting (which were stupid) and ignoring the racism and giving themselves an excuse not to look at in what ways they might be prejudice.

So what you are saying is:

View attachment 8634
We'll probably not live to see this day, but I absolutely think that science will prove that sticks and stones and words are equally capable of causing physical, measurable damage to someone.

And so if it can be proven that something someone said to another person caused measurable damage to their brains, it would legally be allowed to be treated exactly the same as if they had walked up to them and punched them in the head.

Then you watch people shut the F up.

Thanks for the thoughtful answer. Appreciate your perspective. I don't think we're that far apart on responsibility, but I guess I put more emphasis on Floyd's life after he moved to Minneapolis while you put the emphasis on those years in Houston after he came back from college. I just happen to think he was redeeming his life and he deserves respect and foregiveness for that.

I think your reasons for seeing him the way you do are different from some of the posters. I see some dwelling on his criminal past and the rioting (which were stupid) and ignoring the racism and giving themselves an excuse not to look at in what ways they might be prejudice.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I do know that our ignoring our problems is fear and ignorance, a deadly combination. Racism is real and so is a lack of personal responsibility. If we examine these in such a way that we all potential have to approach a level of being uncomfortable in the examining and listening then we can move mountains.I will admit my bias of disdain for men that have 5-6 kids without being able to truly provide a wonderful nurturing environment. How can all of us help that not be the case for so many. Big changes are necessary but they happen with seemingly small steps. People resist change because they feel safe in what they think they know.Typically they do not make changes until the pain of staying the same exceeds the pain of change. I never lose hope. I have seen the difference a mentor can make, that volunteering can make, that listening can be huge. Our shared stories is where the wisdom lies. One of my mentors, yes i still have several taught me a long time ago that knowledge without love is simply information but knowledge with love is wisdom.

While I appreciate your points, I am looking at the impact. I am asking this question, because I don't know the answer. Is the administration able to ask the student to cease and desist? I am trying to sort out where the line is between freedom of speech and offending others. I would think at some point their could be counter charges of the administration failing to provide a safe and stable learning environment.
Having hurt feelings doesn’t take priority over someone else’s freedom of speech. It’s really that simple

We'll probably not live to see this day, but I absolutely think that science will prove that sticks and stones and words are equally capable of causing physical, measurable damage to someone.

And so if it can be proven that something someone said to another person caused measurable damage to their brains, it would legally be allowed to be treated exactly the same as if they had walked up to them and punched them in the head.

Then you watch people shut the F up.
You’re truly insane. Get some help. You are a pansy

Mjfelton literally said "Floyd probably deserved to be PUT DOWN before this"
What do you think should be done to a man that holds a gun to a pregnant woman’s stomach? I’d love to know what you would punish him with. Are you not a feminist? Don’t believe in protecting vulnerable women? Are you a misogynist?

Having hurt feelings doesn’t take priority over someone else’s freedom of speech. It’s really that simple
Yes, and it's that simple for other students to express concern. There are many examples of people needing to express concern, etc. to establish that the comments are unwelcome.

This doesn't fly anymore. No matter how much some wax nostalgic.

NSFW:

Yes, and it's that simple for other students to express concern. There are many examples of people needing to express concern, etc. to establish that the comments are unwelcome.

NSFW:
It’s no longer about stopping things that actually hurt someone’s feelings. It’d be a huge stretch if someone from K State were to try explaining how that students tweet hurt their feelings. This is cancel culture, silence all comments that seem to not fall in line with one way of thought. No one could possibly justify having hurt feelings about that specific tweet, unless they were maybe Floyd’s family members. Kids from K State don’t ACTUALLY give a shit about someone tweeting what that kid did. It’s all virtue signaling. My sisters do this shit too now, they try to prove on social media how woke they are by one-upping other posts they see. My sister says stuff like “I understand that I’ll never understand”, and “it isn’t enough to be not racist, so I pledge to be anti-racist”. My sisters are two of the most tolerant people, get along with anyone, yet they’re apologizing and acting as though they’ve committed KKK-like atrocities. It’s because they’re just trying to prove to everyone that they’re on the right side. It’s trendy to be bedridden with white guilt right now

It’s no longer about stopping things that actually hurt someone’s feelings. It’d be a huge stretch if someone from K State were to try explaining how that students tweet hurt their feelings. This is cancel culture, silence all comments that seem to not fall in line with one way of thought. No one could possibly justify having hurt feelings about that specific tweet, unless they were maybe Floyd’s family members. Kids from K State don’t ACTUALLY give a shit about someone tweeting what that kid did. It’s all virtue signaling. My sisters do this shit too now, they try to prove on social media how woke they are by one-upping other posts they see. My sister says stuff like “I understand that I’ll never understand”, and “it isn’t enough to be not racist, so I pledge to be anti-racist”. My sisters are two of the most tolerant people, get along with anyone, yet they’re apologizing and acting as though they’ve committed KKK-like atrocities. It’s because they’re just trying to prove to everyone that they’re on the right side. It’s trendy to be bedridden with white guilt right now
Or players see that they can invoke change? Looks like the players succeeded. Worst case, they let it be known that they didn't care for the comments.

"MANHATTAN, Kan. (AP) — Kansas State football players have called off a threatened boycott in response to an insensitive tweet by a student about the death of George Floyd.

The decision, announced on social media by several players, follows moves by the school to address diversity concerns.

“We appreciate the diligent work of our university and athletics administration as we work through these important issues,” according to the letter posted on Twitter. “The plans and action items released Wednesday are great first steps in our goal of defeating hate and racism on our campus, and therefore, we have decided to return to workouts with our teammates.

“However, we know that this process is far from completed, and should it slow or diminish for any reason we would re-evaluate the situation and our options at that time.”

Kansas State players aren’t currently participating in any practices or workouts because team activities were suspended earlier this month after a coronavirus outbreak within the team. Summer workouts are expected to resume July 13."

https://apnews.com/2e74831385bb21f6098b8feda2cb74c4

[

NSFW:

👏😂👍

Now that’s funny.

Or players see that they can invoke change? Looks like the players succeeded. Worst case, they let it be known that they didn't care for the comments.

"MANHATTAN, Kan. (AP) — Kansas State football players have called off a threatened boycott in response to an insensitive tweet by a student about the death of George Floyd.

The decision, announced on social media by several players, follows moves by the school to address diversity concerns.

“We appreciate the diligent work of our university and athletics administration as we work through these important issues,” according to the letter posted on Twitter. “The plans and action items released Wednesday are great first steps in our goal of defeating hate and racism on our campus, and therefore, we have decided to return to workouts with our teammates.

“However, we know that this process is far from completed, and should it slow or diminish for any reason we would re-evaluate the situation and our options at that time.”

Kansas State players aren’t currently participating in any practices or workouts because team activities were suspended earlier this month after a coronavirus outbreak within the team. Summer workouts are expected to resume July 13."

https://apnews.com/2e74831385bb21f6098b8feda2cb74c4
Yes, pushing to expel and/or severely punish someone over tweet, that is far from the most offensive thing someone could have said might I add, is the right kind of change we truly need. Bravo KState

My sisters are two of the most tolerant people, get along with anyone
You know, when I was talking to my (now) father in law about proposing to his daughter, he offered some unsolicited but very relevant advice:

“If you’re going to have kids, make sure you have at least a couple. Everyone screws up on their first one.”

My wife is the youngest of three—and I can’t say he’s wrong there. Seems to fit here too. Sorry you turned out this way.

It’s just a bit. He gets entertainment/pleasure out of agitating others. I suggest denying him that pleasure.

There’s something about the internet and/or text only interfaces that is dehumanizing. It sometimes turns people into the biggest asshole versions of themselves.

There’s something about the internet and/or text only interfaces that is dehumanizing. It sometimes turns people into the biggest asshole versions of themselves.
Unrelated to mjfelton, but this is SO right. Like 95% of arguments on this board wouldn't happen if everyone was in person, and the ones that did would likely have less ad hominem attacks and whatnot.

You know, when I was talking to my (now) father in law about proposing to his daughter, he offered some unsolicited but very relevant advice:

“If you’re going to have kids, make sure you have at least a couple. Everyone screws up on their first one.”

My wife is the youngest of three—and I can’t say he’s wrong there. Seems to fit here too. Sorry you turned out this way.
All that rambling for one insult? Come on you can do better than that, can’t you?

Haha. That ridiculous story as an insult? What a dumbass. Me thinks yo were the first born;)

Haha. That ridiculous story as an insult? What a dumbass. Me thinks yo were the first born;)

Literally all you do is come in to these threads with these weak cutdowns. Contribute something for the first time in 12 years, you simpleton!

At least the people who do talk sh*t on here have some originality and passion. You're like a malfunctioning host on Westworld. Time for a hard reset, Lester.

Top Bottom