Justin Gaard wants MN to keep Pitino

Agree, no one should think this team was not competitive this year. A few breaks and they easily could have won 5 more conference games.

A few breaks and the Bobby Jackson led gophers were national champs!

Exceeded??? What??

Was approaching it from the aspect of preseason we were not expected to finish with 8 wins. Which of course we did in a conference that was more challenging than expected and included 4 excruciating losses. Mainly wanted to make the point that this season wasnt a dumpster fire as some portray.

Do think it is fair to question the roster construction which led to the low expectations.

Your guess will be as good or better than mine. The tourney is a crapshoot as one and done is highly unpredictable. That is why i measure the conference with reverence as you need excellence over a long period of time , true road games etc.. That does not mean i do not value the tourney as i think Final 4's and national titles are wonderful. Sweet 16's only mildly impressive as you need two wins ! The best answer i can give you is in the tourney everyone plays better defense in a survive and advance scenario so UW will be somewhat negated. The other side is they are cohesive, bonded by challenging circumstances off the court and the belief on it. Added opportunity in the idea that the field lacks the dominance of last year where great teams fought it out, teams that were great all year. UW has not been great all year, they did not come together until they adjusted to playing without King.

Fair enough. I think they're playing a bit over their head at moment, but sweet 16 very doable and likely their ceiling

If it were MN, I wouldn't complain and be happy

Fair enough. I think they're playing a bit over their head at moment, but sweet 16 very doable and likely their ceiling

If it were MN, I wouldn't complain and be happy
I would be thrilled if we were Big 10 champs. They are pretty good where UVA is not very good but they lock people down, stay in the game and win a ton. That can not last as you have to score the ball, unlike last year where they had a incredible team on both sides . You really need to be great , top 20 in both offense and defense to get to a final 4. Think only UCONN won it all without those metrics. What is clear, you must play great defense to win games on your off shooting nights.

Jaaaaaaygeeeeeee! Justin Taard! His dad is a lawyer like meatsauces dad!

Agree, no one should think this team was not competitive this year. A few breaks and they easily could have won 5 more conference games.
Getting a few breaks wasn’t the problem. The problem was their inability to execute at end of game situations.

Getting a few breaks wasn’t the problem. The problem was their inability to execute at end of game situations.
And did each of those opponents have more experienced players playing together on the floor? We entered the season with two guys who saw any minutes together.
It is not a clear cut no argument decision to move on imo
Will we? Dunno
Should we? Don’t know enough of the behind the scenes information. Circumstances, discussions, observations etc as the AD.

And did each of those opponents have more experienced players playing together on the floor? We entered the season with two guys who saw any minutes together.
It is not a clear cut no argument decision to move on imo
Will we? Dunno
Should we? Don’t know enough of the behind the scenes information. Circumstances, discussions, observations etc as the AD.
In multiple games did the Gophers execute in game winning situations or not? It’s a pretty simple answer.

Last edited:

And their poor execution is at least somewhat attributable to lack of experience in said situations and this will likely improve next year.

And their poor execution is at least somewhat attributable to lack of experience in said situations and this will likely improve next year.
Maybe. They had plenty of chances in those situations this year and didn’t improve.

The poor execution isnt at least somewhat attributable to the head coach?

7 years of "if a few more things would have gone our way........"

The reality is most of the fans, especially the casual ones, mostly care about whether the games were actually won and sadly that just hasn't been the case.

What if the other teams players improve too?

What if the other teams players improve too?
Why do I keep coming back to this board filled with people asking clueless questions like this. I will add WoodburyTim to my ignore list like many others that have clearly irrational ideas. The problem is, this site is full of trolls that just want an outlet for meanness rather than have a discussion of opinions based on facts. I can respect people who believe we should get a new coach, but very few give good explanations why. For example, I disagree with BuiltBadgers grading, but at least he has a rationale. He doesn't ask questions like this one by Tim. We've made the tourney 2 of 4 years with a win (despite key post season injuries each tourney). That is more than a passing grade in my book for a program in frozen flyover country competing against teams closer to population and talent and decent weather. I see a long term upwards trend with a rebuilding blip (yes, opinions may vary). This team was young with all key talent returning (Oturu?) which historically means the best situation for improvement (got that, Tim?).

PS I live near Washington, DC. This week I listened to a radio interview where the Maryland beat writer admitted half the fan base has a problem with coach Turgeon. Yes, fans are crazy most everywhere. At least here in DC (and most every other B1G school except Minnesota, Nebraska, maybe Iowa and Wisconsin) there is plenty of talent nearby and more reasonable weather. If every coach in B1G performed the same, where would you expect the Gophers to finish? I'd say we'd be fighting Nebraska for the basement. Sure, there are coaches that could outperform and put us at the top, but how many would come here? How many "sure things" would actually fail (Tubby Smith was borderline considered this category). Yup, I want another year of Pitino with a young returning team and Mashburn and a young coach who is also learning. I strongly suspect there soon will be buyers remorse if we start over again.

Last edited:

Why do I keep coming back to this board filled with people asking clueless questions like this. I will add WoodburyTim to my ignore list like many others that have clearly irrational ideas. The problem is, this site is full of trolls that just want an outlet for meanness rather than have a discussion of opinions based on facts. I can respect people who believe we should get a new coach, but very few give good explanations why. For example, I disagree with BuiltBadgers grading, but at least he has a rationale. He doesn't ask questions like this one by Tim. We've made the tourney 2 of 4 years with a win (despite key post season injuries each tourney). That is more than a passing grade in my book for a program in frozen flyover country competing against teams closer to population and talent and decent weather. I see a long term upwards trend with a rebuilding blip (yes, opinions may vary). This team was young with all key talent returning (Oturu?) which historically means the best situation for improvement (got that, Tim?).

PS I live near Washington, DC. This week I listened to a radio interview where the Maryland beat writer admitted half the fan base has a problem with coach Turgeon. Yes, fans are crazy most everywhere. At least here in DC (and most every other B1G school except Minnesota, Nebraska, maybe Iowa and Wisconsin) there is plenty of talent nearby and more reasonable weather. If every coach in B1G performed the same, where would you expect the Gophers to finish? I'd say we'd be fighting Nebraska for the basement. Sure, there are coaches that could outperform and put us at the top, but how many would come here? How many "sure things" would actually fail (Tubby Smith was borderline considered this category). Yup, I want another year of Pitino with a young returning team and Mashburn and a young coach who is also learning. I strongly suspect there soon will be buyers remorse if we start over again.

Add me to the list also.

You see, I've been watching the games and I BELIEVE WHAT MY OWN EYES SEE! The barn is dead, no enthusiasm, and we have a raw big man coming in next year. We also have a a 6'0" guard who plays Carr's position averaging 11 points per game for his high school team. If you can see an uptick, well, I don't know what to say. Next year will be worse without Oturu. The barn will be even more silent, if that's possible.

Oh, and the Pitino record doesn't count! bwahbwahbwahbwahbwahbwahbwahbwah

First, paragraphs. They will help present at least the illusion you have given a moment's thought to your rambling nonsense.

You're welcome.

Second, frozen flyover territory? Wow, hard hitting facts there.

Last, could you also put me your ignore list, so I will be less likely to see your rambling nonsense in the future?

The end of game execution has been awful the entire Pitino era.
Since he has been here, his teams are 31 - 38 in games decided by 5 or less or in OT. Wouldn’t call that awful. This season has been the worst of his 7 in that regard.
His first three years they were 11 - 19 in those games. Last three 18 - 11. Then this season really has not gone well in close games.

Since he has been here, his teams are 31 - 38 in games decided by 5 or less or in OT. Wouldn’t call that awful. This season has been the worst of his 7 in that regard.
His first three years they were 11 - 19 in those games. Last three 18 - 11. Then this season really has not gone well in close games.
You would not call 31-38 awful ? I would.

What makes anyone that he even knows the slightest thing about basketball ? Suppose it really is as easy as what is good enough for some is not good enough for others in every aspect of life.

Speaking of high standards, do you feel you are holding your own self to a high standard by always reminding others of their low standards :). One thing to think it, another to say it over and over. Some of us think the best path to success is support the program and trust the athletic director, who has an excellent track record and is far better informed than any of us - we feel this represents a very high standard.

2 paragraphs to explain that reading opinions different from yours throws you into a childish fit? You need to work on your time management.

Maybe. They had plenty of chances in those situations this year and didn’t improve.
That was because we were competitive in many games. Granted, better poise, FT shooting, defense would have helped us win those games.

Remember that the Gophers had seven new players this year that had not worn a Gopher uniform. The make up looked good at times, but lack of playing experience showed when it was crunch time in those close games. You can call it an excuse, but even young teams of all Americans like at Duke or Kentucky can have problems.

Speaking of high standards, do you feel you are holding your own self to a high standard by always reminding others of their low standards :). One thing to think it, another to say it over and over. Some of us think the best path to success is support the program and trust the athletic director, who has an excellent track record and is far better informed than any of us - we feel this represents a very high standard.
Just because someone has a lower standard for wins to define greatness for them than i do does not mean they are lower of opinion or intelligence or anything else. They simply have their opinion, i have mine. Hell, some fans would rather lose 85-80 than win 50-49 because they are looking at it a the kind of entertainment they want. Not knocking them for that. Just like if they think 31-38 is not to bad, i do. Agree with you on Coyle. By all accounts he holds a high standard.

With Carr and Oturu playing at the level they played at 8-12 is totally unacceptable, others did not play up to expectations and I understand that but because of roster make up there was no way to compensate for that. Why do people expect this to change. Recruiting has been hit and miss and when you look at the end results it has not been very good. Continued hope and optimism ends up smacking you in the face.

I don't buy the idea that local talent would place us at the bottom of the Big Ten, with only one D1 school it is at least in the middle if not upper half of Big Ten. Compare talent in MIchigan and Minnesota for the 2020 recruiting class, Minnesota is undeniably better with only one D1 school. Talent has been very good in Minnesota and will be good for the foreseeable future.

Was approaching it from the aspect of preseason we were not expected to finish with 8 wins.

I saw a couple of preseason predictions projecting us as 12th in the conference. They didn't expect much from us and we delivered on that estimation.

Top Bottom