Justin Gaard wants MN to keep Pitino

LakevilleBro

Reaction score
On Enough Said, Justin Gaard said that the Gophers should keep Pitino, because he has done a good job here. What is his definition of a good job? Has Justin even watched the games over the last 7 years? I'm asking for a friend.

Hard to trust this as genuine.

Sounds like a play, to draw attention to himself. Even negative attention, from what I would guess is a majority of Gopher fans that want Pitino out, is attention.

Oldest trick in the book: there's no news, like bad news.

You'll have to ask Justin Gaard that question. All I know is that I can't say he did a good enough job over 7 years.

On Enough Said, Justin Gaard said that the Gophers should keep Pitino, because he has done a good job here. What is his definition of a good job? Has Justin even watched the games over the last 7 years? I'm asking for a friend.
He gets a paycheck from the U.

He gets a paycheck from the U.

This. Gardsy knows where his bread is buttered. He can't possibly be calling for a change when the current coach is a regular on the show. If Richard somehow survived, it would be awkward to say the least.

He'll be on board when we have our new coach.

Last edited:

I'm guessing Guard's opinion is somewhat influenced by the Gopher show he does with Pitino. Pitino is still a very likeable guy, probably easy to deal with from a media perspective, and their show is a good listen.

This is all about saving face because he has a personal relationship with him....When Pitino gets fired JG can tell him that he fought for him.

Gaard seems to be letting his friendship cloud his judgement.

The typical episode of Gopher Basketball with Richard Pitino is Grimm asking 3 questions related to basketball and Gaard asking 15 questions about Pitino's kids.

You're right....Firing a coach that has a 47-82 conference record is foolish.

Also true that we did better than most big ten teams the last 3 seasons with tournament appearances/wins. This despite strong headwinds. 2019-20 exceeded expectations. Not saying we should or shouldnt keep Coach, just dont think it's cut and dried.

Based upon the last 4 seasons, I would say we should keep him, but the roster going forward makes me skittish.

Last edited:

Voice of reason. Knows more than just tennis it seems.
What makes anyone that he even knows the slightest thing about basketball ? Suppose it really is as easy as what is good enough for some is not good enough for others in every aspect of life.

Also true that we did better than most big ten teams the last 3 seasons with tournament appearances/wins. This despite strong headwinds. 2019-20 exceeded expectations. Not saying we should or shouldnt keep Coach, just dont think it's cut and dried.

Based upon the last 4 seasons, I would say we should keep him, but the roster going forward makes me skittish.
Interesting. Is he 31-44 the last 4 years ?

Last edited:

Interesting. Is he 31-44 the last 4 years ?

I just think the story is deeper than his record. See my above post.

Also dont think finding the next super coach is easy and dont think Coyle is particularly interested in a failed hire on his ledger. He will and should weigh any potential change very carefully.

Last edited:

I generally agree with a lot of Gaardsie's sports takes, but this is one that he should probably sit out on because he is so close to the situation. He is contractually obligated to do the weekly coaches show and is one of the few KFAN personalities who dedicates some time to Gopher sports.

He can't come out and call for Pitino's head. That kind of thing ruins relationships - which matter especially for a radio guy who probably doesn't care a whole helluva lot if the coach wins if he's a good interview.

I appreciate the points he tries to make and he makes good cases that guys who don't want Pitino fired make as well. I agree with some of them - disagree with a good chunk of them too. But as some have previously said, JG will be all in on whoever the coach is. If/when Pitino is dismissed, I'm confident that Gaardsie will be able to see and understand why. Until then, he's going to see things through a Pitino perspective.

Also dont think finding the next super coach is easy and dont think Coyle is particularly interested in a failed hire on his ledger. He will and should weigh any potential change very carefully.
In the coaching business the bottom lines is wins and tourney wins. Agree that finding the next super coach is extremely difficult.

Coyle is more concerned about a failed hire than keeping a failing coach he didn’t hire? That is an interesting take.

if true Coyle should get out of the AD business asap.

Justin loves coaches who banter with him. He loved Tim Miles for the same reason. He’s a HC Bobo if they give him a bro hug. No objectivity at all from him.

Coyle is more concerned about a failed hire than keeping a failing coach he didn’t hire? That is an interesting take.

if true Coyle should get out of the AD business asap.

Agree. If a failing coach then a change should be made.

In the coaching business the bottom lines is wins and tourney wins. Agree that finding the next super coach is extremely difficult.
My guess at Northwestern is GPA’s and graduation rates count a lot but I could be wrong. UMN student athletes do pretty well in those categories.

do you think this current wi team will do well in tourney

Exceeded??? What??

Exceeded??? What??
So I would agree with you there- it didn't exceed anything. But in defense of ltf, I think at the start of the season 8-12 was about in the range of expectations for a team that lost Coffey and Murphy off of a 9-11 team. Some, and I was one of them had hopes that a different type of team might work together better, shoot better and play better defense. Maybe, just maybe changing up the mix, despite the loss of the two best players might work.

For a while it looked that way and I for one, thought part way through that we were going to somehow get to 11-9. Then we lost close game after close game failing to make key plays. About half way through the Big Ten season I for one was thinking that Pitino was doing a really nice job with this squad. Obviously it did not finish well, to the chagrin of most everyone here.

So I would agree with you there- it didn't exceed anything. But in defense of ltf, I think at the start of the season 8-12 was about in the range of expectations for a team that lost Coffey and Murphy off of a 9-11 team. Some, and I was one of them had hopes that a different type of team might work together better, shoot better and play better defense. Maybe, just maybe changing up the mix, despite the loss of the two best players might work.

For a while it looked that way and I for one, thought part way through that we were going to somehow get to 11-9. Then we lost close game after close game failing to make key plays. About half way through the Big Ten season I for one was thinking that Pitino was doing a really nice job with this squad. Obviously it did not finish well, to the chagrin of most everyone here.
Agree, no one should think this team was not competitive this year. A few breaks and they easily could have won 5 more conference games.

do you think this current wi team will do well in tourney
Your guess will be as good or better than mine. The tourney is a crapshoot as one and done is highly unpredictable. That is why i measure the conference with reverence as you need excellence over a long period of time , true road games etc.. That does not mean i do not value the tourney as i think Final 4's and national titles are wonderful. Sweet 16's only mildly impressive as you need two wins ! The best answer i can give you is in the tourney everyone plays better defense in a survive and advance scenario so UW will be somewhat negated. The other side is they are cohesive, bonded by challenging circumstances off the court and the belief on it. Added opportunity in the idea that the field lacks the dominance of last year where great teams fought it out, teams that were great all year. UW has not been great all year, they did not come together until they adjusted to playing without King.

Agree, no one should think this team was not competitive this year. A few breaks and they easily could have won 5 more conference games.
And the defense is around 11th in the conference when it needed to be top 3.

Top Bottom