Justin Gaard Named Voice Of Golden Gopher Women's Basketball

GopherLady

Reaction score
Per U of MN press release:
Justin Gaard Named Voice Of Golden Gopher Women's Basketball

Gopher Athletics and its multimedia rightsholder LEARFIELD’s Gopher Sports Properties, announced today the hiring of Justin Gaard as the play-by-play voice for Golden Gopher Women’s Basketball for the upcoming season. Gaard is currently the pre-game host and sideline reporter for Gopher football broadcasts and also hosts the Golden Gopher Podcast. Gaard replaces Corbu Stathes, who was recently hired by the University of St. Thomas.

“We’re excited to have Justin take over play-by-play duties for Gopher Women’s Basketball,” said Gopher Sports Properties VP/General Manager Greg Gerlach. “Justin is passionate about Gopher Athletics, has deep roots in the sport of basketball in Minnesota and has known head coach Lindsay Whalen for years. Justin will continue to be a tremendous ambassador for Gopher Athletics.”

Gaard is a well-known personality to Gopher fans across the state and upper Midwest. He is the longtime producer of the popular Bumper to Bumper radio show on KFAN and stars weekly on the Emmy-nominated Enough Said on Fox9. Gaard also co-hosts Gopher Football Weekly with P.J. Fleck on KFAN and is a host on The P.J. Fleck Show on Fox9. He has emceed countless Gopher Athletics events, including the recent M Club Hall of Fame induction ceremony last week.

“I am thrilled for this opportunity and am looking forward to the season,” said Gaard. “Coach Whalen is one of the finest people I have ever met, and I am excited to work with her, the staff and their tremendous student-athletes. I want to thank Greg Gerlach and Mark Coyle for trusting me with play-by-play duties, and I look forward to calling games and sharing stories with Gopher fans. I’d also like to thank my wife Jenny, Dan Barreiro and KFAN management for helping make this happen.”

Gaard will partner with longtime analyst Lynnette Sjoquist for the upcoming season.

Welcome aboard to Gopher women's basketball, Justin. And, very glad Learfield did not attempt to replace Lynnette!

Top Bottom