Justin Fuente said players who enter the transfer portal are not welcome back

Such nonsense. Why burn bridges with people like that??

Did the Vikings tell Barr to gtfo because he was entertaining an offer from the Jets??

Amusing as he was just interviewing for new jobs recently.

This is a bit of a hard line stance to take but I could see more teams taking it as the transfer portal expands. You don't want guys just using the portal to shop around for a better offer. I know that kind of flies in the face of what coaches can do but the situations are not exactly the same.

PJ on the other hand seems to be embracing players taking advantage of the transfer portal.

It’s a great way for teams to improve their roster, and make room for new blood. Fuente clearly hasn’t figured that out yet. Meanwhile, the Gopher players who enter the portal seem to be latching on with other teams, while it’s being reported that a majority of players who have entered the portal have effectively ended their college football career.

Last edited:

It’s a great way for teams to improve their roster, and make room for new blood. Fuente clearly hasn’t figured that out yet. Meanwhile, the Gopher players who enter the portal seem to be latching on with other teams, while it’s being reported that a majority of players who have entered the portal have effectively ended their college football career.

Pretty sure the # was 57% failed to catch on with other teams, so while that is technically a majority the number is far closer to 50/50.

My guess is that some guys are not willing to take a step down in class to keep playing so if they don't get the offer they are looking for they just hang it up. Looks like most of our guys who have entered the portal this year have dropped down to the FCS level to find their new home.

Don't know how he got burned by it last year but my guess is Fuente had some bad experiences with players who entered the portal and just doesn't want to deal with it anymore.

Pretty sure the # was 57% failed to catch on with other teams, so while that is technically a majority the number is far closer to 50/50.

My guess is that some guys are not willing to take a step down in class to keep playing so if they don't get the offer they are looking for they just hang it up. Looks like most of our guys who have entered the portal this year have dropped down to the FCS level to find their new home.

Don't know how he got burned by it last year but my guess is Fuente had some bad experiences with players who entered the portal and just doesn't want to deal with it anymore.

43% find a team, 57% don’t. That’s not really close to 50/50...certainly a clear majority, as I stated. I agree with the rest, though.

Did the Vikings tell Barr to gtfo because he was entertaining an offer from the Jets??
I don’t think it’s any different than parting ways with a commit who decides to start other taking other visits.

apples vs oranges.

It's not "technically" a majority.

This is a bit of a hard line stance to take but I could see more teams taking it as the transfer portal expands. You don't want guys just using the portal to shop around for a better offer. I know that kind of flies in the face of what coaches can do but the situations are not exactly the same.

I see this ruining the collage football. next will be allowing coaches to get up and say "I am looking for an experienced player to fill this spot, transfer here". I will dump my 35 year tickets when that even starts to smell.

I see this ruining the collage football. next will be allowing coaches to get up and say "I am looking for an experienced player to fill this spot, transfer here". I will dump my 35 year tickets when that even starts to smell.

Aren't most coach's effectively doing that? Like without taking out an ad in the newspaper?

I'm curious to see where this all ends up heading. Paying players and giving them more freedom to move around easily will definitely change the landscape of college football again. Remains to be seen if it is for the better or worse.

One good thing for us is that we have a coach that is very in tune with what is going on and willing to adjust as needed. Those schools with older or more traditional head coaches may struggle some to keep up major changes.

I'm curious to see where this all ends up heading. Paying players and giving them more freedom to move around easily will definitely change the landscape of college football again. Remains to be seen if it is for the better or worse.

One good thing for us is that we have a coach that is very in tune with what is going on and willing to adjust as needed. Those schools with older or more traditional head coaches may struggle some to keep up major changes.

It will be interesting to see.

Although the incentives for most players might be just same old same old so we might see the same lay of the land with a bit more movement.

Who knows.

I have a question. What happens if a player enters the portal and finds out nobody wants him. If he decides to go back and a coach says no, can the player legally still stay on scholarship in school and not play for the team?

Kids you can't shop for other options but I will field calls from other Universities if they reach out to me.

Not a great quote for Fuente
Exactly.

Also, I’m not sure I agree that the coaches (let alone the fans) should have a right to know about the player entering the portal unless the player tells them (publicly announces it).

If he goes in, looks around, doesn’t like anything, he should be able to cancel it and face no retribution.

Exactly.

Also, I’m not sure I agree that the coaches (let alone the fans) should have a right to know about the player entering the portal unless the player tells them (publicly announces it).

If he goes in, looks around, doesn’t like anything, he should be able to cancel it and face no retribution.
So are you saying if someone leaves the Gophers, another guy wants in our program, but he can't get in until the guy who left makes a final decision as to whether or not he is coming back? Hoping you're saying that if there is an opening he can come back. Then again Fleck may be communicating with someone who wants in but has to wait a month or so due to academics etc. Meanwhile the guy wants to come back.

I would think it would have to be a two way street in some of these situations.

So are you saying if someone leaves the Gophers, another guy wants in our program, but he can't get in until the guy who left makes a final decision as to whether or not he is coming back? Hoping you're saying that if there is an opening he can come back. Then again Fleck may be communicating with someone who wants in but has to wait a month or so due to academics etc. Meanwhile the guy wants to come back.

I would think it would have to be a two way street in some of these situations.
You haven’t left unless you actually leave.

Looking to see what’s out there isn’t leaving.

I had to open the thread just find out who Justin Fuente was... obviously, couldn't careless what he thinks.

57% is not "technically" a majority, it is a majority, period. Did you read the post I responded to?
Abraham Lincoln technically got a majority of the popular vote in 1860 and 1864.

Why shouldn't they be able to shop around for a better offer? Schools shop around for better players all the time. It's only fair that players should be able to shop around for a better fit.

Why shouldn't they be able to shop around for a better offer? Schools shop around for better players all the time. It's only fair that players should be able to shop around for a better fit.

And nobody is stopping them from doing that. He is just saying that if they decide they want to leave then they are not welcome back if they don't find what they are looking for. It's harsh but it won't shock me to see more coaches take this stance as the portal grows.

Think the point he is trying to make to his players is that the grass is not always greener. So if they want to leave, they need to be sure that is what they truly want to do.

And nobody is stopping them from doing that. He is just saying that if they decide they want to leave then they are not welcome back if they don't find what they are looking for. It's harsh but it won't shock me to see more coaches take this stance as the portal grows.

Think the point he is trying to make to his players is that the grass is not always greener. So if they want to leave, they need to be sure that is what they truly want to do.
Meanwhile he goes out on job interviews at other schools...

It is probably too easy for coaches to move around. I’m not averse to an NCAA policy fining coaches two years of salary plus any buyout for abandoning their players and fans. Rationale being stability for players is desirable and the team has an academic mission. Upheaval may lead to stress, poor performance in the classroom, transfers etc. Make coach’s really think about whether it’s worthwhile to climb the ladder. Given coaches getting fired after 2-3 years these days it may make some nest instead of fly.

Top Bottom