Justin Cobbs comments on Bostick, Nolen, and how Mbakwe will surprise many

Good stuff Nadine! I am really excited to see Cobbs play and I hope that the competition he provides at the guard spot makes Al work that much harder. It's critical that we get more consistent PG play this year. Cobbs put up monster numbers all senior season and the early reviews out of HP are equally encouraging.

Go Gophers!!

Here is a quick analysis on Cobbs from Marcus' blog:

Cobbs growing as a point guard
By Marcus Fuller
Gophers incoming freshman point guard Justin Cobbs is gaining experience playing in the Howard Pulley Pro City league this summer.

Despite coming up short in TRP Group's 93-91 loss Tuesday night to El Amin Fish House, Cobbs had a chance to match up against former Minneapolis North and Connecticut standout Khalid El-Amin.

"It's a good experience and I'm having fun, which is the main thing," said Cobbs, who scored 12 points. "Back home I used to watch my cousin (former UCLA/Oklahoma City Thunder guard Russell Westbrook) play in a pro league like this. A lot of good players play in it back home. And I always dreamed of playing in it, but I had to come here to go to summer school so I'm playing here. There's still a lot of talent out there."

Cobbs, who is physically mature beyond his years, said he's excited about being able to help out starter Al Nolen next season while playing under Minnesota coach Tubby Smith.

"They're trying to move (Devoe Joseph) to the two, because it's his natural position," he said. "(From Nolen), I'm just learning leadership. Right now, I also have a bad habit of jumping and passing. He just said that in (the Big Ten Conference) a lot of those guys are going to take charges. I have to learn to stay on my feet and pivot."

-- Sophomore big men Ralph Sampson III and Colton Iverson played in their first Pulley league games Tuesday night. Niether player made much of an impact. Sampson twisted his right ankle, but appeared to be walking with only a slight limp after the game.

-- Hopkins defeated Benilde-St. Margaret's to win Smith's team camp final over the weekend, but the biggest splash was made by a big man from London. Playing with a Wisconsin AAU team, Robert Gilchrist showed off some versatility for a 6-foot-9, 220-pound forward. He's being recruited by Minnesota, according to GopherIllustrated.com. Gilchrist will also attend Wooster Prep (CT) next season.

http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers/2009/06/cobbs.html

Go Gophers!!

Robert Gilchrist

He played at Barking Abbey school in the UK and has been a member of the U18 and U20 national teams for Great Britain the past 2 years.

Hey Lady

Hey Lady -
Another great write-up, this time of a future Gopher.
Looking forward to your next article!!

Nice job!!

Top Bottom