Just got this in an e-mail from Gophersports.com

I'm so torn up about how to handle this situation. Coach Brewster and all the players have referred to the hostile environment they encountered at Syracuse and have been outspoken about hoping their home field advantage replicates that. I obviously don't feel the need to boo members of the Air Force Academy, because I do respect them and what they do, but at the same time, I don't want their team to come in here and beat our team.

I feel like I'd much prefer if they encouraged people to do nothing when AFA took the field (no cheering, no booing) and then asked fans to give them a standing ovation for a game well-played and what they do after the game. I suppose this is a little much to ask, since no one will feel like cheering them if they upset the Gophers, but I don't know that I'm into giving them a raucous ovation when they take the field and pumping their players up just before game time.

I think Ohio State started the right precedent here. It is a classy move and I hope that our fans cheer the Air Force team as they take the field.

I also hope that our fans can be as loud and disruptive as possible for the 3 1/2 hours following the AFA players taking the field.

I'm so torn up about how to handle this situation. Coach Brewster and all the players have referred to the hostile environment they encountered at Syracuse and have been outspoken about hoping their home field advantage replicates that. I obviously don't feel the need to boo members of the Air Force Academy, because I do respect them and what they do, but at the same time, I don't want their team to come in here and beat our team.

I feel like I'd much prefer if they encouraged people to do nothing when AFA took the field (no cheering, no booing) and then asked fans to give them a standing ovation for a game well-played and what they do after the game. I suppose this is a little much to ask, since no one will feel like cheering them if they upset the Gophers, but I don't know that I'm into giving them a raucous ovation when they take the field and pumping their players up just before game time.

I agree with being torn,...I think I will choose to stand and clap for AF, but not yell or cheer or anything (respect is enough I think)...then when the Maroon and Gold run out, I will shed a tear, and scream my lungs out, be as loud as possible, etc.

I think this is great. I will welcome AFA out of respect to what they do outside of football. After that, as loud as I can be in support of the Gophers.

so, is this really the intro video that's going to be shown on the video board before the Gophers take the field!?!? The first game in the stadium and half the video is devoted to the other team!? I don't like it at all.

This will be a good example of the poor job fair weather Gopher Fans do to follow events. I wouldn't be surprised to hear scattered boos... in about the same percentage of people who totally manage to miss the "gold out" communications. I hope I'm wrong but if we can't get a gold out right, it stands to figure that this would go the same way. Of course, even if you live under a rock it would seem silly to boo the AFA.

i got really excited when i saw someone posted a video. i was really bumbed when it went the direction it did. i will cheer for airforce when they enter the field but it ends there. im suprised i havent seen any youtube videos yet to really pump everyone up about the opener. i remember last year someone made one midseason to encourage people to fill the dome.

yeah this is not a pump you up video at all. Talk about a downer before the game....."yay opposing team!"

so, is this really the intro video that's going to be shown on the video board before the Gophers take the field!?!? The first game in the stadium and half the video is devoted to the other team!? I don't like it at all.

I saw this online as well and wondered if it was the official intro video. If it is, what a disaster. I love the intro videos that rev up the crowd, pull at the heartstrings, and send chills down your spine. The situation tomorrow gives endless opportunities to provide a dramatic intro. I've been looking forward to what they will scheme up especially with the huge screen, but remain a bit worried. If its Elite Edge, they haven't impressed me too much yet with their Bball ones.

They should take a cue from the Wild... Awesome pre-game videos that really pump you up for the game in a more meaningful way than just blaring rock music.

(oh yeah the one done last year on youtube to Pax Imperia, or whatever that song is called, that has "Intensity", "Tradition" and another word scroll across the bottom is top notch. Take a cue Gopher Athletics, that's a pump up video)

I'm sure this isn't the intro pump up the crowd video. I'm sure it will be shown either prior to the band's pre-game show, or maybe inbetween numbers like before the battle hymn or something like that. I'm sure they will have a raucous, crazy pump up video for just prior to the Gophers entrance....

I don't think cheering for them when they take the field makes the environment less hostile. Its what the fans do during the game that counts.

Guys, this isn't the intro video. It says clearly on the page that its a tribute to AFA. Also, why in the world would the intro video talk about "On Saturday September 12th"...It would say "Tonight" or something similar. They also didn't spend millions on an HD video board the size of the Williams Arena floor to create a video that uses low res photos.

Chill and keep getting excited.

It's pretty clear in the e-mail and on the Youtube video that this is an "Air Force Tribute Video". If they play it before the game tomorrow (which isn't clear), I'm sure it won't be the only video intro. I imagine they are keeping that under wraps until tomorrow evening.

Guys, this isn't the intro video. It says clearly on the page that its a tribute to AFA. Also, why in the world would the intro video talk about "On Saturday September 12th"...It would say "Tonight" or something similar. They also didn't spend millions on an HD video board the size of the Williams Arena floor to create a video that uses low res photos.

Chill and keep getting excited.

Agreed... In the excitement and hope for near perfection, sometimes the uncertainty breeds pessimism. Ridiculously excited. : )

I will stand up and clap, also.

Where respect and my loyalty lie can be in different parts of my body. I couldn't help but reflect on the date this morning... seeing most of the flags at half mast. I don't expect that most of these AF players will see careers in football.

And make no mistake, when the Gophers take the field for the first time in 27 years on campus, I will probably come unglued.

This is fantastic and should be followed for every game.

Always cheer the opposing team as they take the field. And by "always" I mean "everybody except Iowa."

I don't expect that most of these AF players will see careers in football.

Considering that there have only been 13 AFA players to go on to the NFL (only 1 in the last 8 years), I'd say that's a pretty safe assumption.

Interesting fact: 9 former AFA players have been drafted, but only 3 did not transfer to a "better" school and were actually drafted straight out of the AFA:

Bryce Fisher - Rd 7, 1999
Steve Russ - Rd 7, 1995
Chad Hennings - Rd 11, 1988

There was also an NFL player by the name of Mike Rengel who played in college for both AFA and Minnesota. He was a DeLaSalle graduate (class of '64), but I don't know if he's related to Nick. It's not exactly a common last name, so it's plausible. Anyone know?

This is fantastic and should be followed for every game.

Always cheer the opposing team as they take the field. And by "always" I mean "everybody except Iowa."

I'd die before I'd ever cheer Wisconsin in anything.

Truth.

The Air Force video is not the tunnel entrance video. They played the official one at the Syracuse game screening. Don't worry, it was quite motivational!

Since I made this mess......

I should try to clean it up.

I implied, by mistake, that this was the opening video. It is simply a tribute.

Here is what the link said:

Air Force Academy Tribute Video
We want all Minnesota fans to watch this Air Force tribute video for Saturday's game! Please click on the special "Take the Field Tribute" video below:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Wl5mOh3Nf4

I guess I just got a little excited when I posted it(I probably shouldn't post after midnight-lol). Being a lifelong Gopher fan and having a father who was in the Airforce, I happened to like it.

IMO We can tip our cap to Airforce and still cheer our hearts out for our beloved Gophers.

Just a thought.

GO Gophers!!!

yeah this is not a pump you up video at all. Talk about a downer before the game....."yay opposing team!"

As pointed out by a couple of others, the Air Force video definitely is not the pump up video. The pump up video is tremendous, I'm sure y'all will love it.

As pointed out by a couple of others, the Air Force video definitely is not the pump up video. The pump up video is tremendous, I'm sure y'all will love it.

Am I the only one who wants to spoil the surprise and have someone describe it? :)

I expecte there will be a reasonable (longer than usual) gap between the time AFA and the Gophers enter the field. It should be electric.

No, this is not the intro video...

There will be a different intro video tomorrow, that I would guess, is really going to fire people up! My contact didn't even think this video would be played tomorrow.

I suppose I'll applaud Air Force before and after the game. During the game, however, they're just another opponent. Booing worthy opponents is a sign of respect.

Maybe we could all cheer "Be Strong... Be Army Strong!" :clap::clap::clap:

Top Bottom