Just don’t have the talent to compete

IrishGoph55

Reaction score
Have any of our Gopher teams been that much better than Fleck’s 2016 WMU team? And we in year 6…..Even including 2019, we were great n all but both teams lost to Wisconsin pretty evenly. I love Fleck. Want him to be here forever n all that but just feels like we hit our ceiling. obviously just get harder with restructuring and USC/UCLA getting better. Until we could get real talent and not just glorified MAC players we will stay as is. Illinois just beat us at our own game. With better players………. Anywho. Anyone have any tickets to the Northwestern game they trying to get rid of??? I already booked my flight and hotel lol.

2019 was the outlier. Winfield, Bateman, and Johnson carried the squad. Gophs are what they are a 6-8 win team. Better than they have been, but the are not talented enough to win 9-11 games unless they get a good amount of balls bouncing their way.

#14 in recruiting last year, 2 de commits' this week. not trending the best in recruiting. I do think under PJ we are a consistent 6-8 regular season win team. Nothing wrong with that but people that worry him about leaving makes me laugh. What are we losing, a middle of the road Big Ten coach.

So many people talked about how good a recruiter Pj is, compared to Kill and Claeys yes. Not compared to his contemporaries today in the Big Ten, he is average at best. His recruiting is far from elite.

I like PJ, and while it seems like he might be recruiting slightly better, it isn’t translating on the field. We might finish behind some of the worst Iowa and Wisconsin teams in recent memory. Where is the talent? Where is the depth? This is year 6!

Might be time to consider sinking the boat….but I’m pissed, depressed and a little drunk from the margarita’s necessary to watch that game.

I like PJ, and while it seems like he might be recruiting slightly better, it isn’t translating on the field. We might finish behind some of the worst Iowa and Wisconsin teams in recent memory. Where is the talent? Where is the depth? This is year 6!

Might be time to consider sinking the boat….but I’m pissed, depressed and a little drunk from the margarita’s necessary to watch that game.
I am not ready to sink it yet, but if this season trends even more negative and the recruiting remains below average, a guy like PJ is going to have a shorter leash with the fans.

My pops is from Minnesota. I love the Twin Cities. My sister just graduated from St. Thomas and she was born n raised in Los Angeles just like me, that’s how much we love Minnesota.

It just will always be Vikings town. I always thought being in a big city would help recruiting but maybe it’s the opposite. Kids want to go to a real college town and get a real college experience? Idk.

So many people talked about how good a recruiter Pj is, compared to Kill and Claeys yes. Not compared to his contemporaries today in the Big Ten, he is average at best. His recruiting is far from elite.
The recruiting is better under Fleck. Unfortunately it still isn’t good enough to move the program up within the conference.

PJs recruiting isn’t great, but- he’s been thoroughly out-coached by Brohm and Bielema… The talent isn’t great, but- the actual game plans and in game coaching sucks…

Bateman, and Johnson
That's who carried the 2019 squad... with a lot of help from CrAB as well. They are also what made Morgan and Ciarrocca successful. Minus the NFL-caliber receivers, and both turn back into... Well, not part of a good passing game, that's for sure.

That's who carried the 2019 squad... with a lot of help from CrAB as well. They are also what made Morgan and Ciarrocca successful. Minus the NFL-caliber receivers, and both turn back into... Well, not part of a good passing game, that's for sure.
And we had Winfield Jr. who was possibly the best Goph of my 32 year life.

Not so sure. I am sure that we did not get a coaching upgrade. Fleck is not good. We have had good defenses before Fleck and better QB play as well. we are what we are, the same as we were before he was hired.

PJs recruiting isn’t great, but- he’s been thoroughly out-coached by Brohm and Bielema… The talent isn’t great, but- the actual game plans and in game coaching sucks…
PJ is one dropped pass by MBS from being 5-1 against Brohm.

I'll agree on Purdue game, but Illinois was just better. East to look good when your players are better. Just my observation from today.

PJ is one dropped pass by MBS from being 5-1 against Brohm.
We lost by 10. So regardless of that. We were a going for it on 4th down that cost us 3 very important points away from being 5-1 against Brohm…… I’m a huge P.J. Fleck fan. We all just venting cus idk how he can long term ever keep up towards the top.

We lost by 10. So regardless of that. We were a going for it on 4th down that cost us 3 very important points away from being 5-1 against Brohm…… I’m a huge P.J. Fleck fan. We all just venting cus idk how he can long term ever keep up towards the top.
He catches that easy, and I mean easy td, we go up 17-10 in the 4th quarter. Our defense was stopping them.

I thought we gifted Purdue that win. I'm not so sure what Brohm did.

PJ is in year 6 and this team has stayed flat or regressed for the last 3 seasons. Bieliema is in year 2 of a significantly more challenging rebuild than what PJ faced, and he already has Illinois in the driver’s seat for the West title. Very disappointing we’ll never see a division title and really, won’t ever see the top quarter of the conference once divisions go away.

He catches that easy, and I mean easy td, we go up 17-10 in the 4th quarter. Our defense was stopping them.

I thought we gifted Purdue that win. I'm not so sure what Brohm did.
Ya I agree. We definitely gifted Purdue that win. We were the better team, just had a state of Minnesota sports cursed game. I think we beat Purdue 7 out of 10 times…. Today we straight up got beat tho by a better team.

Watching bama and Tennessee, it sure would be fun to have one of these athletes on this team. Missing a game breaker to get rid of the compressed field

I do think it is a way too early to be calling for Fleck to be on the hot seat. The gophs were 9-4 last year, could win 7-8 this year. People would have killed for these results over the past 25 years or so. I think the frustrating thing is the losses to teams that fans think are inferior. Illinois is not inferior to MN, and either is PSU, Nebraska, Wisconsin, or Iowa based on talent. I still feel they can win 7-8 games and have a decent season.

The graduations on the O-line and D-line are showing up in B1G play. We simply don't win the line of scrimmage and thus we have back-to-back losses. It's hard to see how we win next week either. But, I will keep hoping we can improve as the season goes on. We won't ever out athlete the other B1G teams and just one weak link can break the chain between a win and loss with the Gophers.
Just win the trophy games please.

The graduations on the O-line and D-line are showing up in B1G play. We simply don't win the line of scrimmage and thus we have back-to-back losses. It's hard to see how we win next week either. But, I will keep hoping we can improve as the season goes on. We won't ever out athlete the other B1G teams and just one weak link can break the chain between a win and loss with the Gophers.
Just win the trophy games please.
Illinois did what they did to us last year.

With no Mo, Purdue did what anyone would do against us. We could run block last year and we can this year. We couldn't pass block last year, and we can't this year. I posted after week 4 that the difference was we pass block better this year, but that was obviously wrong.

Have any of our Gopher teams been that much better than Fleck’s 2016 WMU team? And we in year 6…..Even including 2019, we were great n all but both teams lost to Wisconsin pretty evenly. I love Fleck. Want him to be here forever n all that but just feels like we hit our ceiling. obviously just get harder with restructuring and USC/UCLA getting better. Until we could get real talent and not just glorified MAC players we will stay as is. Illinois just beat us at our own game. With better players………. Anywho. Anyone have any tickets to the Northwestern game they trying to get rid of??? I already booked my flight and hotel lol.
I have two in section 139, row 23

Illinois did what they did to us last year.

With no Mo, Purdue did what anyone would do against us. We could run block last year and we can this year. We couldn't pass block last year, and we can't this year. I posted after week 4 that the difference was we pass block better this year, but that was obviously wrong.
Dang right the pass blocking is horrible

Top Bottom