Judd Zulgad: Not throwing to Maxx points to a coaching issue more than QB issue

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Judd:

Williams was targeted only three times in the season-opener against Eastern Illinois and had two catches for 57 yards. The Gophers won that game, 42-20, and the thinking was that perhaps coordinator Matt Limegrover knew victory would come easily and thus took the opportunity to look at other elements of the offense.

But if the opening game was about seeing what you had, the second game should have been about getting a guy like Williams involved. That didn't happen. He did have a nice 27-yard touchdown catch but that was his only reception of the day.

Considering the Gophers' struggles in the passing game, Williams should be targeted eight to 10 times this coming weekend. Williams, who caught 25 passes for 417 yards with five touchdowns in 13 games last season, is 6-foot-4, 250 pounds.

That means he is rarely, if ever, covered. Throw the future NFL tight end a pass and he will either break it up or use his size and strength to catch it. He's the type of target who can make a quarterback look good.

Failure to realize this points to a coaching issue more than a quarterback issue.

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/...nly_need_Matt_Cassel_to_manage_the_game090814

Go Gophers!!

You know, I think Judd is right. Kill and Limegrover have completely forgotten that they have a potential all-big 10 TE on the field. It's a good thing savvy guys like Judd are around to remind the coaches about these things. And of course, the other team has forgotten about Maxx too, because Judd says he is "rarely covered." (sarcasm)

Thank you Judd. I've going crazy these last two games pacing around the living room asking myself, "Why don't they just throw it to Maxx?"

Back when I was a crappy QB, I played with a really good TE and every time we got into a pinch, we would dial up a play for him. A good TE is always a quarterback's best friend, as the saying goes. But man, Maxx is so good he'd be "more than just a friend."

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/9aofoBrFNdg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Seriously Mr. Limegrover - move him around, split him wide, hide him in the backfield or just have him run simple option routes from the TE slot - just get him the ball. F*ck, hand him the ball if you have to.

Maybe Limegrover should give Norv Turner a call?

per Judd:

Considering the Gophers' struggles in the passing game, Williams should be targeted eight to 10 times this coming weekend. Williams, who caught 25 passes for 417 yards with five touchdowns in 13 games last season, is 6-foot-4, 250 pounds.

That means he is rarely, if ever, covered. Throw the future NFL tight end a pass and he will either break it up or use his size and strength to catch it. He's the type of target who can make a quarterback look good.

Failure to realize this points to a coaching issue more than a quarterback issue.

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/...nly_need_Matt_Cassel_to_manage_the_game090814

Go Gophers!!

Could last years performance by Maxx mean....GASP..... That he is keyed on more by the defense this year? If he was rarely covered we would throw to him every play. Our coaches may seem to struggle at times with offensive game planning, but they have a pulse and would be able to recognize this.

But I agree he should be targeted more. But 8-10 times I don't see happening. Considering 2/3 of our throws seem to be deep to covered receivers, we'd have to pass 40+ times to get Maxx 10 targets.

Maybe they are waiting for a meaningful game to show what Maxx can do?
We haven't seen much jet sweep either.
We still managed to get leads of 35-0 and 28-0 the past two weeks.

Maybe they are waiting for a meaningful game to show what Maxx can do?
We haven't seen much jet sweep either.
We still managed to get leads of 35-0 and 28-0 the past two weeks.

Our offense has been very vanilla for a reason. They aren't showing tape to anyone.
Unfortunately it may have to stay that way with Leidner out. Expect more read option.

Maybe there are no more plays in the book. Ever consider that!

Our offense has been very vanilla for a reason. They aren't showing tape to anyone.
Unfortunately it may have to stay that way with Leidner out. Expect more read option.

This is what we all said last year too. Then we hit B1G play when we expected them to "open the playbook", and we looked absolutely lost against Iowa and Michigan. With how tough the second half of our schedule is, we can't afford a slow start this conference season.

We aren't even averaging 40 points a game. Just a measly 38.5 points. Winter is indeed coming.

Judd is an absolute moron. The fact that he doesn't realize we haven't opened up the entire playbook the first two games shows his incredible ignorance. He simply doesn't understand that it's common in college football to have a tough week 2 or 3 opponent after playing one or two cupcakes, and that you don't show your "real" non con opponent any film. This is basic stuff, but not for an idiot like Judd.

I suppose Judd thinks MSU used their entire playbook against Jacksonville State the week before they played Oregon. Moron.

I see both sides of the don't show anything and throw to him more, but I agree that the same things were said last year and it never showed up in B1G play. Saturday is the day we find out what a game plan we will have for the rest of the season. Might be more of the same, so set expectations low.

They'll open up the playbook this week no doubt, in my opinion that doesn't mean more passing. They probably won't pass more than 15 times, but I expect to see much more of the playbook than we've seen so far (a lot more jet sweeps, bubble screens, plays that get Jones and Berkley out on the edge more than we've seen, TE's will be more involved). There was no need for Limegrover to run those plays the first two weeks.

Judd needs to write something, and he needs to get people talking about it. Mission accomplished.

Judd is an absolute moron. The fact that he doesn't realize we haven't opened up the entire playbook the first two games shows his incredible ignorance. He simply doesn't understand that it's common in college football to have a tough week 2 or 3 opponent after playing one or two cupcakes, and that you don't show your "real" non con opponent any film. This is basic stuff, but not for an idiot like Judd.

I suppose Judd thinks MSU used their entire playbook against Jacksonville State the week before they played Oregon. Moron.

I kinda agree with Judd.

EVERYONE knows we have a play action/bootleg pass to the TE. Everyone. So, why are we hiding that? With the success Cobb had last week, that play action/bootleg to Maxx should have been run 5+ times itself. I can't recall it being run once.

Maxx was a beast last year and only caught 25 balls in 13 games. He needs to be a 5+ catch per game guy. He hasn't been. What are they saving all of these tight end plays for?

OFFENSIVE BREAKDOWN:

--We have had four really, really nice TD drives this season (90yd, 81yd, 69yd, 78yd).
--The rest of the TDs have come from blocked punt TD return, INT TD return, bad snap (5yd drive), INT (27yd drive), bad punts (44yd and 56yd drives), INT (47yd).
--We've had nine "3- or 4-and-outs" in two games.
--Bottom line is we have 11 TDs and that's good, but a little deceptive, IMHO, as not sure we can count on being this opportunistic.
--Really not sure how that compares to the rest of the Big Ten early on, but to me, there's no doubt our offense has pick it up.

Did you watch the MSU opener? If you did, you should realize what a moronic statement you just made. Judd is dead nuts on.I equate it too keeping Seabiscuit in the barn for The Preakness so he can run the Kentucky Derby

I kinda agree with Judd.

EVERYONE knows we have a play action/bootleg pass to the TE. Everyone. So, why are we hiding that? With the success Cobb had last week, that play action/bootleg to Maxx should have been run 5+ times itself. I can't recall it being run once.

Maxx was a beast last year and only caught 25 balls in 13 games. He needs to be a 5+ catch per game guy. He hasn't been. What are they saving all of these tight end plays for?

OFFENSIVE BREAKDOWN:

--We have had four really, really nice TD drives this season (90yd, 81yd, 69yd, 78yd).
--The rest of the TDs have come from blocked punt TD return, INT TD return, bad snap (5yd drive), INT (27yd drive), bad punts (44yd and 56yd drives), INT (47yd).
--We've had nine "3- or 4-and-outs" in two games.
--Bottom line is we have 11 TDs and that's good, but a little deceptive, IMHO, as not sure we can count on being this opportunistic.
--Really not sure how that compares to the rest of the Big Ten early on, but to me, there's no doubt our offense has pick it up.

Good analysis.

As for the short fields that the offense has been given... you can't really fault them for that. Not sure it's deceptive either. No team scores 90-100% of their TDs on "long fields".

I agree with the article.

But I'll say that it's premature. Let's see if we still neglect Maxx when the games start to count.

Did you watch the MSU opener? If you did, you should realize what a moronic statement you just made. Judd is dead nuts on.I equate it too keeping Seabiscuit in the barn for The Preakness so he can run the Kentucky Derby

yabbut..the preak...aw forget it.

Judd is a moron but YOU are THE expert

They'll open up the playbook this week no doubt, in my opinion that doesn't mean more passing. They probably won't pass more than 15 times, but I expect to see much more of the playbook than we've seen so far (a lot more jet sweeps, bubble screens, plays that get Jones and Berkley out on the edge more than we've seen, TE's will be more involved). There was no need for Limegrover to run those plays the first two weeks.

His point of getting the ball to Maxx is invalid? It didn't happen last year. You do know that? Hopefully we have more than one or two ways to do that? Typically when teams take something away you have a counter to take advantage of what they are leaving open.

I agree with your post above but you are agreeing with what Judd is asking for. Throwing to Maxx two or three times a game is inadequate. He is a weapon. David Cobb is a weapon. We gave him the ball twenty nine (29) times. Absolutely I want Cobb to get 20 plus carries. But, How is that different than using Maxx?

In practice Wozniak catches everything and he's a pretty big target. And each time I went they
threw to him a lot. He's 7 feet tall. He can run. Utilize him. Make them take that a way and throw it to Maxx or vice versa.

Play action to Cobb, we can't have one of our huge tight ends or Maxx wipe out Berkley's defender split out wide, with B.Edwards coming back to the ball turning it up in that seem with another tight end and linemen wiping out strays with Berkley now in space?

We have weapons. Our quarterbacks can throw it well enough to utilize these kinds of plays.
Have we thrown a slant to anybody yet? Have we gotten our QB in rhythm feeling good about himself?

In my opinion, it's the counters you don't show. What you are going to do if they take away your
bread and butter. With Cobb our philosophy is here it comes...this is it...stop it. When or if you do
we got counters we have not shown. But you need to practice the same philosophy with passing to get comfortable doing it in a game situation. You can save some things yes, but you need to be proficient at some basic things passing. Passing to the tight ends, throwing slants, passing behind the line of scrimmage to the backs are all things that set other things up. They should be completions, plus giving the quarterback confidence and increasing his percentages. Getting more people involved forcing the defense to worry about more things. We have not shown those types of plays in our passing offense and it's asking a lot to now do them versus TCU or Michigan without
practicing them in a game. You all know you can disguise all this stuff with different motion and sets...it's the same play but it looks different to the defense. So the idea we can't "show" this stuff
is pretty unimaginative.

Sorry Dimmer I'm taking Judd's side. I know....ohhhhhhh no

So you're claiming MSU didn't hold anything back vs Jacksonville State? Sorry, but if you agree with Judd Zulgad on anything you're the moron, not me. The guy knows nothing about college football and his take on this is just stupid. The coaches will get Maxx the ball, period. The real season starts this Saturday, and the fact that Judd and others are worrying about these details over two blowouts against bad competition is comical.

I equate it too keeping Seabiscuit in the barn for The Preakness so he can run the Kentucky Derby

It's not possible to do this, given that both races are for 3-year-olds only, and the Kentucky Derby is run prior to the Preakness Stakes.

You are the moron. I'm so sick of this "don't show anything" crap. Just because they've seen a play doesn't mean they can stop it.

Every post in this thread has been moronic and written by morons. . .

Up until now

It's not possible to do this, given that both races are for 3-year-olds only, and the Kentucky Derby is run prior to the Preakness Stakes.

We have today's winner of the 'wren' award. it made me laugh and smile.

The offense is so basic there are no surprises. They have run the same stuff for years so there is no reason to hold anything back. We need to get more proficient throwing and the time to do it is in the non conference part of the season, or we end up like the Iowa game last year. Williams is our best receiver and he needs to be more than a glorified fullback. He needs more touches plain and simple.

You are the moron. I'm so sick of this "don't show anything" crap. Just because they've seen a play doesn't mean they can stop it.

So the lack of jet sweeps these first two games is just a coincidence? Do you honestly believe the offensive game plans we've seen the first two games is what we'll see all year? In other words, you believe we've seen the entire playbook already?

This Saturday we'll see Berkley Edwards and D. Jones getting the ball out on the edge more in the first half than we saw the first two games combined. We'll pass more to the TE's on Saturday than the previous two games combined.

The idea that Kill/Limegrover/Zebrowski haven't held some plays back that they plan on implementing once the competition gets stronger is naive in my opinion.

Top Bottom