Judd Zulgad: Not throwing to Maxx points to a coaching issue more than QB issue

I agree with the article.

But I'll say that it's premature. Let's see if we still neglect Maxx when the games start to count.

This is where I'm at for now. If we're hitting "real" games and Maxx isn't getting opportunities, that is a problem. When we're winning 28-0, I can't really get upset about them not throwing to him enough. Work on some other stuff, whatever.

Yeah...let's just force the ball in there.

All of our QB's have proven that they can throw it to tiny windows.

I wouldn't be alarmed about not throwing to Maxx if I thought we could do it if we wanted to.

Stupid article. I'll say that not getting the ball to Maxx enough is a problem; but only when we're losing and not putting up 35-42 points per game and coasting to comfortable victories...

He did catch a 20+ yard TD pass that was one of the biggest plays of the game.

Stupid article. I'll say that not getting the ball to Maxx enough is a problem; but only when we're losing and not putting up 35-42 points per game and coasting to comfortable victories...

He did catch a 20+ yard TD pass that was one of the biggest plays of the game.

+1

And it's in the conditional. I could put it in the subjunctive too:"Were I more confident...."

I'm with Zulgad.

I'd be more concerned if we hadn't jumped to combined 63-0 leads in the first two games. I'd be surprised if this staff (or 99% of staffs in CFB) felt the need to pass up by those scores

This is where I'm at for now. If we're hitting "real" games and Maxx isn't getting opportunities, that is a problem. When we're winning 28-0, I can't really get upset about them not throwing to him enough. Work on some other stuff, whatever.

Key statement of this thread.

So is the theory here that a)Limey doesn't know Maxx is on the team, b)Limey doesn't know Maxx is good, or c)Limey doesn't know how to get it to Maxx. Seriously? Some people....

Every post in this thread has been moronic and written by morons. . .

Up until now

I guess I'll be the next moron....here I go.

What I don't get is why would any kid who wants to catch a lot of passes in his collegiate career play for Coach Kill? Do you think some of these kids like Holland or Wolitarsky do much due diligence before they come here? We've thrown the ball 28 times this year and completed 14 passes. Can you imagine lining up play after play after play and knowing you might get thrown to once or twice a game if you're lucky? What do they think when they watch the games from the sideline and see that their QB's can't even throw a spiral under game conditions? It must be so demoralizing for them. Some have to be thinking "why did I pick Minnesota"?

Last in B1G in passing, 115th in the nation, fourth year in a row with QB woes. Something is amiss.

Last in B1G in passing, 115th in the nation, fourth year in a row with QB woes. Something is amiss.

You forgot the little facts that we are a)a running team, b)have only played 2 games, and c)won both games easily

You forgot the little facts that we are a)a running team, b)have only played 2 games, and c)won both games easily

It certainly was more fun to follow the gophers when I was full of optimism like you. Spoiler alert. It gets beaten out of you.

It certainly was more fun to follow the gophers when I was full of optimism like you. Spoiler alert. It gets beaten out of you.

The point is passing yards are not the measure of a good offense - especially 2-weeks in. I don't think we have a good passing offense, but yards don't prove that. Other things may, but not that. We passed twice in the 2nd half last week - that has more to do with it than anything else. Just like total yards is overrated when 1 team runs 25 more plays. I sure hope common sense never gets beaten out of me.

I equate it too keeping Seabiscuit in the barn for The Preakness so he can run the Kentucky Derby

It is also worth noting that it is very common practice for trainers to keep their horses in the barn for The Preakness so they can run in and have a better chance of winning The Belmont (the triple crown race that does happen after The Preakness).

Judd doesn't know the first thing about football. Less about Minnesota. Minnesota is built around a ground game, running the ball. Using the clock. The team will run between 40-50 times a game. If they convert 40 percent of third downs it is a winning formula. With a continuous 40 second clock they will burn close to two and half minutes in 3 downs. If they convert, the clock is rolling. How they convert is the only question. The team will burn close to 38 minutes per game. With a lead, which we have had its our running game and the clock vs. the opponent. This is old school football. Running the ball when you have to run it. And the toll on a defense in the second half can be devastating. If the team throw the ball 12-15 times, 3-4 targets to a tight end is within reason. Most important would be the completion percentage. If Mitch can reach 60 percent, and he hasn't yet. It means more conversions on third down, more catches for every receiver. The ability to separate, get open, present yourself and catch the damn ball. Max has all of those down. His time will come. Can we hit him when we have to.

Let me be the weasel of the group.... last year, we opened up our offense a lot after Kill took a break or was in the booth, we won 4 straight B1G games, including PSU and neb. Plays we used that worked a lot were never used before his absence and never after (the bowl game), and have been barely touched so far this season. The whole"kill is running a vanilla offense on purpose" is complete bs. If he and his staff have been together for decades as it's been lauded, any team can just see what they've done for years and can game plan to that, it hasn't changed much. I'm sorry, but the writing is on the wall...Kill is hand-cuffing Limegrover. He needs to let him run his plays.

Let me be the weasel of the group.... last year, we opened up our offense a lot after Kill took a break or was in the booth, we won 4 straight B1G games, including PSU and neb. Plays we used that worked a lot were never used before his absence and never after (the bowl game), and have been barely touched so far this season. The whole"kill is running a vanilla offense on purpose" is complete bs. If he and his staff have been together for decades as it's been lauded, any team can just see what they've done for years and can game plan to that, it hasn't changed much. I'm sorry, but the writing is on the wall...Kill is hand-cuffing Limegrover. He needs to let him run his plays.

But, but, but, wasn't Kill at most practices during that time and in the locker room at halftime of some of those games?

Yeah...let's just force the ball in there.

All of our QB's have proven that they can throw it to tiny windows.

it isn't 'forcing' the ball when they have 9 men in the box dedicated to stopping the run... slants should be there all day..

I'm 1000% fine with being a run first team.

What I'm not fine with is not being able to throw the ball effectively if we wanted to.

We have an NFL receiver on our team. It's not bleedingly obvious, to me, that we know how to use him. Am I freaking out? Of course not. Am I teeny bit nervous? Yes.

Who the f is Judd Zulgad, and what the hedoublehockeysticks does he know? Assclowns like this come out as the team gets more popular. Judd must be writing from all his prior college coaching experience.

This may not mean much but I did hear Maxx on the radio when asked about not being involved too much. He pretty much said it wasn't his decision and the team has their own scheme they have to run. He seemed like he wasn't sure why he wasn't getting the ball more IMHO but that's just what he sounded like. I could be entirely wrong on that one.

last year, we opened up our offense a lot after Kill took a break or was in the booth.

Kind of, but not really.

During the time Kill was gone or in the booth, we threw the ball:

14 times vs. NW for 123 yards
17 times vs. Neb for 159 yards
26 times vs. IU for 325 yards
25 times vs. PSU for 163 yards
23 times vs. Wis for 83 yards
25 times vs. MSU for 125 yards

That ain't exactly "Air Gopher"

It the Gophers keep up their lack of a passing game, it will scare away the recruits. Quality receives are here right now. Time to gain yards in the air. If the qb still has an arm attached to the shoulder, then throw the ball forward.

It the Gophers keep up their lack of a passing game, it will scare away the (receiver) recruits.

I don't think I can buy that any more than I would by the corrollary which is that it will somehow attract top running back recruits because we throw so little.

Speaking of the passing game, what is up with Wolitarsky? Did he play on Saturday? I don't think I saw him in the game. Seems like they've been quiet about the state of his injury. What is it?

Would be nice to have him in there.

Speaking of the passing game, what is up with Wolitarsky? Did he play on Saturday? I don't think I saw him in the game. Seems like they've been quiet about the state of his injury. What is it?

Would be nice to have him in there.

He was listed on the participation report, but if he was out there I didn't see him.

He was listed on the participation report, but if he was out there I didn't see him.

I remember seeing him out there for at least one play because I pointed it out to my seatmates. I think it was the 3rd quarter, and it may have only been for a play or two total.

Top Bottom