Joshua Ola-Joseph to play for AZ Compass for his senior season

He'll be joining a pretty stacked team, another gopher target who is a three/stretch four type Colin Smith is on that team, committed to Vandy, there starting PG is a UCLA commit and they another top 40ish uncommited front court player in Sadraque Nganda who has offers to Kentucky, Bama, Auburn, Arkansas, Arizona among others

He'll be joining a pretty stacked team, another gopher target who is a three/stretch four type Colin Smith is on that team, committed to Vandy, there starting PG is a UCLA commit and they another top 40ish uncommited front court player in Sadraque Nganda who has offers to Kentucky, Bama, Auburn, Arkansas, Arizona among others
Hopefully he can recruit!

Wish he would've just stayed at Osseo and played it out. Would have been fun to go watch him play this winter

Maybe, maybe not. Expectations could change from him being a go to guy to being a role player. I'm not sold on those basketball factories being benificial for everyone.
Interesting point. We’ll see - I call this one of those good problems - he’s good enough to play there.

Maybe, maybe not. Expectations could change from him being a go to guy to being a role player. I'm not sold on those basketball factories being benificial for everyone.
I honestly think there are more than a few big-time, go-to players that could learn a lot and become a better overall teammates/complete players if they have to spend time as just one of the guys that does all the little, detail oriented, grunt work type of things that role players do, as opposed to being the stud of the team.

Of course, if Coach Johnson really wanted him for the Gophers, it's quite likely that he may already be one of those "Teammate" kind of guys who's not only a great player, but perfectly willing to sacrifice for the good of the team.

I honestly think there are more than a few big-time, go-to players that could learn a lot and become a better overall teammates/complete players if they have to spend time as just one of the guys that does all the little, detail oriented, grunt work type of things that role players do, as opposed to being the stud of the team.

Of course, if Coach Johnson really wanted him for the Gophers, it's quite likely that he may already be one of those "Teammate" kind of guys who's not only a great player, but perfectly willing to sacrifice for the good of the team.
Chico you The Man!

The games are often secondary the and the practices are where the competition and development takes place.

Honesty I’ve never seen him play, so I didn’t really know what to expect, but holy s&(&. (Josh is #13) He had an insane poster dunk and a huge block in this video. Looking like an absolute monster

Hat tip to Peter Mac for finding the site-

Honesty I’ve never seen him play, so I didn’t really know what to expect, but holy s&(&. (Josh is #13) He had an insane poster dunk and a huge block in this video. Looking like an absolute monster
😱 he looks like a prototype Sparty forward and he’s gonna hurt some people on the boards😍

Wow

Going to a place like that may improve his BB skills but not his academic performance.

Does anybody else get nervous about JOJ going to prep school? My apprehension is probably unjustified, but it seems like a weird move when he already signed with the Gophers. Don't kids typically go the prep route to improve their recruiting profile?

Side Note: He looks BIG ready. Physicality shouldn't be an issue for him as an underclassman.

Last edited:

Does anybody else get nervous about JOJ going to prep school? My apprehension is probably unjustified, but it seems like a weird move when he already signed with the Gophers. Don't kids typically go the prep route to improve their recruiting profile?

Side Note: He looks BIG ready. Physicality shouldn't be an issue for him as an underclassman.
The way I look at it is, I would much rather him playing there learning how to play high level basketball and playing with/against other college players than if he was still at Osseo playing against less athletic athletes and overall worse basketball players.

The way I look at it is, I would much rather him playing there learning how to play high level basketball and playing with/against other college players than if he was still at Osseo playing against less athletic athletes and overall worse basketball players.
You have reassured me...for now.

The gopher fan in me worries greener pastures will present themselves.

Not at all ; this shows his commitment to improve his game by seeking out a better basketball atmosphere - coaching (most likely), teammates/practices and ((most definitely) and competition - team/players he plays.

while it’s true that some go there to improve their offers/visibility that doesn’t mean it is the only one - Ben is giving him more read to wanna be a Gopher - were not gonna be anyone’s second choice any longer!

He’s already signed as well

Side Note: He looks BIG ready. Physicalit shouldn't be an issue for him as an underclassman.

Hockey players have been doing this for years - bailing out on their last couple of years of HS to go play for some "developmental" program.

I know a kid - well, I know his family - who is a hockey Goalie. Kid never played regular HS hockey. went into a developmental program and from there to a Junior league in Canada. Now he's one of the top Goalies in his league and is getting scholarship offers from major college programs.,

Camden Heide did the same thing this season

He’s playing against better players daily. That’s the only guarantee being at a prep at the level of compass. He would get coached just as well at Osseo basketball wise cause their coach and their conference is very good. I’m mostly anti prep school for most kids though if they are from MN

He’s playing against better players daily. That’s the only guarantee being at a prep at the level of compass. He would get coached just as well at Osseo basketball wise cause their coach and their conference is very good. I’m mostly anti prep school for most kids though if they are from MN
If I remember correctly, these prep schools offer a ton more for athletes to improve themselves than what a high school would typically offer. Strength and conditioning, nutrition classes, film study, almost unlimited access to the gym….

Curious if there actually is any difference between similarly rated guys who go to prep school vs regular high school and the amount of success they have in college. It makes sense intuitively that better competition would help, but wonder if there have been any more official studies.

Top Bottom