Joshua Ola-Joseph future star?

A chain reaction.

Both Evans and Payne will be playing and I think starting at the same time in Minnesota the next two seasons At least. Strong in the paint. I double down on that.

I said my view is controversial.

Garcia is a dynamite player for creative use. Or maybe he leaves the team for richer pastures.

Its not just controversial it just simply wouldnt work.

Ill just pick a team. Baylor.

Garcia would have to guard George. I am not exaggerating when I say that George either scores 45 or Garcia fouls out in 10 minutes of PT.

And on offense George doesnt have to worry about Garcias size cause Garcia has to be on the perimiter as the other 2 bigs are clogging the paint.

A coach would be fired for even announcing that lineup.

Its not just controversial it just simply wouldnt work.

Ill just pick a team. Baylor.

Garcia would have to guard George. I am not exaggerating when I say that George either scores 45 or Garcia fouls out in 10 minutes of PT.

And on offense George doesnt have to worry about Garcias size cause Garcia has to be on the perimiter as the other 2 bigs are clogging the paint.

A coach would be fired for even announcing that lineup.

Well ok. The dilemma is that the team is so lopsided. Who doesn't start and bolts via the transfer portal. And then elsewhere the cupboard is bare at the moment.

Maybe Garcia is the odd man out. Or Payne will hit the transfer portal. Evans is a starting rim protector day 1.

I love how every time a freshman has a game at a higher level than "5th grader picking up a basketball for the first time," he is a "future star." It seems pretty self-evident that we have zero "future stars," let alone multiple. A team with multiple "future stars" would not be the laughingstock of the Big Ten and one of the worst Power 5 teams I've ever seen.

Also, "still only a teenager"? So what? There are literally thousands of teenagers playing NCAA sports almost every day.

Tony - you take a lot of flak around here, and rightfully so. I assume that you aspire to a future career in journalism based on your "writing" position here, but you seriously need to step it up if that is your wish. I am not at all joking when I say that my 11-year-old daughter could easily write a more insightful post than this, or pretty much anything you put out really.

First off….

JoJ a star? I’m qualifying a star as a first team All-B1G selection. That most likely isn’t happening for him. His ceiling may be third team but he is the most promising of the freshmen. Mchale averaged 12 pts as a freshman, so he is doing well, until you look at who Mchale did that playing with! This team isn’t 25-3 by a long shot.

Is there a SF on the team? Beats me! They all have faults but there are options next year. Here’s the players best suited for it….
1. Ihnen - if he is close to 100% he has the skills and body to play the spot best.
2. JoJ - he looks like he can play with enough speed and D to hold it fairly well.
3. Betts - he looked pretty fluid in HS, he may be able to handle it but who knows.
4. Henley - he’s fast, he’s 6’7” that sounds like a SF. What if he puts in 15 lbs before next year?
5. Christie - I know he projects as a SG but in some offenses SF is a SG! My biggest worry with him is he is so skinny. Needs to eat and lift.
6. Battle against teams with slow sf that he can stay with. Not very many of those.

PG - this just needs one guy to transfer here. Please make him fast with sick handles. Holloman May decide to transfer!

Ok, slam away!

Oh and it would be nice if CBJ could keep Payne within 10-12 ft of the basket and get guys to feed him the ball when he is open.

I'm looking for development from the young players. Watching for good play from returning players late in the year. And monitoring our recruits' progress.

To see if we can build a complete team for next year or the year after. As well as sustain it.

But almost everyone else on here loves to bitch & moan non-stop. Petulant children. And the undercover fans of other teams on here are loving every minute of it and are trolling hard.

Well ok. The dilemma is that the team is so lopsided. Who doesn't start and bolts via the transfer portal. And then elsewhere the cupboard is bare at the moment.

Maybe Garcia is the odd man out. Or Payne will hit the transfer portal. Evans is a starting rim protector day 1.

Correct and thats what Ben has to figure out. He created this issue of having way too many forwards and he has to find a way to fix it and get some guards and make the PT work for the forwards that are here.

There is talent. But hes got to make it all fit.

I'm looking for development from the young players. Watching for good play from returning players late in the year. And monitoring our recruits' progress.

To see if we can build a complete team for next year or the year after. As well as sustain it.

But almost everyone else on here loves to bitch & moan non-stop. Petulant children. And the undercover fans of other teams on here are loving every minute of it and are trolling hard.
I've heard the Georgetown Mens BB message board is full of undercover Syracuse, St. Johns, and George Washington fans pretending to be disgruntled Hoya fans.

Evans and Payne can only play together if one of them can hit some sort of jump shot. So right now I say no chance, but we will see on development there.

The Garcia at SF comment was literally one of the worst sports takes Ive ever heard. Every team in the country would clear out and let their 3 go to work on offense
The key to playing two posts together is having excellent guard play. The Cavaliers can trot out lineups with Allen and Mobley because of Garland, Mitchell/Sexton, and Lavert.

It's because Mobley/Allen will always somewhat struggle guarding a stretch 4 - that's their disadvantage. The opponents will highlight that disadvantage by spreading the floor. For you to take advantage of your advantage (height and size), you usually need a guard to beat their man or set up the big man to be successful.

Going big without good guards doesn't allow you to take advantage of your strengths while your opponent can still highlight your weaknesses.

I know this horse has been beaten to death but we need good guards for any of this to have any chance of being successful.

If Payne hits the transfer portal, that would be a major, major red flag. I don't think that will happen.

If Payne hits the transfer portal, that would be a major, major red flag. I don't think that will happen.
Agreed, that would be. I also don’t think Ben will just start Evans. Evans will have to earn it in practice by showing consistency in whatever he’s proscribed.

The offense is designed for having two or three speedy guys on the perimeter who can beat you off the dribble with an initial pick from the big. When they do that, the big rolls and gets fed if the drive draws a crowd. But we never do that because we only have one guy who can do that. It's Henley and he isn't making shots and has a loose handle. I still believe in his future though. A 6-7 kid with quicks that can drive is worth working with.
Agree with you on Henley. He’s got long legs, which makes him deceptively quick. I can recall the Illinois game specifically where he drove beat the gaurd, and found space In between several defenders at least 3 times only to finish out of control and a terrible shot fro less than 5 ft. I kept on thinking he really needs to practice a good floater.

Then last night he showed progress on the shots. when he did the 5 missed shots in a row, I thoght he was more under control. Still needs a lot of work on it. But the real difficulty in my mind is finding that space.

Hoping by the end of the year he is making that shot consistently. Then learns to pass from it. Could easly add 10 points a game just for the team dynamics it opens up.

Its all anout him coming under control when he gathers it. Maybe, he’s got to take that last few steps on his toes (which would be the baseball coaching equivalent fix)?

And the undercover fans of other teams on here are loving every minute of it and are trolling hard.
I know, right? There's even one sconnie-loving jackhole who openly roots for the Gophers to lose their 1st round B1G Tourney game!!

Who is your starting front line? Of these 8- Ihnen, Evans, Fox, Payne, Garcia, Battle, Ola Joseph, TT- who mans the 4 and 5 spots? Is there a 3 in that group?
I'd go Garcia and Payne, with Evans off the bench. Battle too if he sticks around, Battle can't play three but I don't think JOJ will be a starting caliber three, think he would be perfect getting 20-25 off the bench at both the three and four spots

and what we have seen from the other 3 freshman has been behind schedule..........

doesnt matter how strong they are at forward next year....if they dont find a legit leader at PG, a solid back up point guard, and if 1 of Christie, Henley, Carrington cant take the reins at SG it will be another lost season
Its hard to say with the other three, Think Carrington was the best rebounder and defender out of the guards before he got hurt. With him and Henley we needed more than what is expected from most Freshman and I think that's on Ben for not bringing in another veteran guard in the portal. Payne, we can't utilize his strengths because our guards suck at feeding him in the post, he's at the top of the key because he's better at it than theyre

Agree with you on Henley. He’s got long legs, which makes him deceptively quick. I can recall the Illinois game specifically where he drove beat the gaurd, and found space In between several defenders at least 3 times only to finish out of control and a terrible shot fro less than 5 ft. I kept on thinking he really needs to practice a good floater.

Then last night he showed progress on the shots. when he did the 5 missed shots in a row, I thoght he was more under control. Still needs a lot of work on it. But the real difficulty in my mind is finding that space.

Hoping by the end of the year he is making that shot consistently. Then learns to pass from it. Could easly add 10 points a game just for the team dynamics it opens up.

Its all anout him coming under control when he gathers it. Maybe, he’s got to take that last few steps on his toes (which would be the baseball coaching equivalent fix)?
Of the shots he took, I liked all but the runner on the baseline. The one I liked the most was the pull up from 10 feet. He missed but it showed that he is learning not to just bash into the lane and get stripped. That was a shot he should make 50-60%. He needs a few nights where shots fall and the game will start to slow down for him.

His most frustrating play was bringing it up court and attempting to split two guys- getting stripped for the layup. He has to stop that.

Of the shots he took, I liked all but the runner on the baseline. The one I liked the most was the pull up from 10 feet. He missed but it showed that he is learning not to just bash into the lane and get stripped. That was a shot he should make 50-60%. He needs a few nights where shots fall and the game will start to slow down for him.

His most frustrating play was bringing it up court and attempting to split two guys- getting stripped for the layup. He has to stop that.
Damn, did he get suckered by the first defender. He had another one stripped where his body language afterwards was almost pitiful.

Anyhow, I’m with you. There is something there. He’s the type that going to surprise a lot of people (via. A huge production jump). It’ll Look like he came out of nowhere.

He’s getting that space aginst some of the best defenders in Illinois, Rutgers, etc.

Why don’t returning players have to player good in the early or middle parts of the season in what you’re looking for?

Adding the right PG and hanging onto the rest we will dance and have wins. Christie, Betts, and Evans add a lot. Add Ilhen bigger, stronger, smarter, and could be quicker. Instant defense. The team has got to make the FTs. JOJ and Payne are future stars. We have been in most games. Had a few blowouts. There was a lot learned this year and we are developing a lot of depth for coming years. However, I do fear the portal. I hope the coaches keep these guys together. Hard to do with talent combined with a horrible year.

Why don’t returning players have to player good in the early or middle parts of the season in what you’re looking for?
If a freshman plays well in the last 5 games of his first year...he usually becomes a good player.

I really like how Ola-Joseph just had 17 points on good shooting and what, 8 rebounds? He's ahead of schedule. I really hope Payne & Carrington have a couple double-digit games in the last 5. Henley doing something would be a nice surprise. Let's see.....

Some 17-point games now translates to some 25-point games as an upperclassman.

Adding the right PG and hanging onto the rest we will dance and have wins. Christie, Betts, and Evans add a lot. Add Ilhen bigger, stronger, smarter, and could be quicker. Instant defense. The team has got to make the FTs. JOJ and Payne are future stars. We have been in most games. Had a few blowouts. There was a lot learned this year and we are developing a lot of depth for coming years. However, I do fear the portal. I hope the coaches keep these guys together. Hard to do with talent combined with a horrible year.
Been in most games? Have you seen the records of these teams I assume your referencing…Michigan, Wisconsin, Ohio State, Nebraska…

9CF9AB48-EAFD-4B14-ABDF-A7A53CE683F5.png
*these teams are a combined 46-42*not good with easy non-conference schedules. - and they are dramatically trending down since start of calendar year 2023

Their average KENPOM is 63.5

What do they all have in common…they all suck and will most likely all miss the tourney.

Some 17-point games now translates to some 25-point games as an upperclassman.
Most idiot comment I’ve ever read.

Or he only got 17 because the team is terrible and we had no one else who could score… and when and hopefully the team gets real weapons…he won’t score as many point as we will have real guards and a real center to feed it to. Plus I hear there is a 5* pterodactyl coming next year with yuge wingspan

LOL

Ok seriously though, we should be concerned about other teams fans on our message board?

LOL.....................................................sorry

Most idiot comment I’ve ever read.

Or he only got 17 because the team is terrible and we had no one else who could score… and when and hopefully the team gets real weapons…he won’t score as many point as we will have real guards and a real center to feed it to. Plus I hear there is a 5* pterodactyl coming next year with yuge wingspan
Evans is a good looking dude. He looks cool. Me...I stay in shape...I pump iron.

You probably look like Patrick Reusse.

If a freshman plays well in the last 5 games of his first year...he usually becomes a good player.

I really like how Ola-Joseph just had 17 points on good shooting and what, 8 rebounds? He's ahead of schedule. I really hope Payne & Carrington have a couple double-digit games in the last 5. Henley doing something would be a nice surprise. Let's see.....
JOJ has played well in other contests so this is nothing new. Great to see he had a solid game as he has been rather quiet the past few contests. I was high on him when the season starts and remain so. He needs to work on the D end. It's Payne that I wonder about.

He has really struggled once the BIG started and is inexperience is obvious. But the physical talent is there. He has to start taking the shot from the high post and I hope Ben starts giving him the green light. He can't do any worse that TT, Henley, Samuel or others. Same with Henley and hope he stays active with the ball. IMO, Carrington just needs more PT and hope he can see the floor soon.

Top Bottom