Joshua Ola-Joseph future star?

Really? Laughable at this point.

Tony doesn't realize that even on really really bad teams the stat sheet still gets filled.

Yes, his outside shooting has improved considerably and the three he made in the first half and the other from just inside shows he’s developing more confidence.
I bailed at halftime.

Someone astutely pointed out in another post that he and Payne were so much more physically gifted than their MN HS competition, that they didn’t really need to work on some basketball skills; imagine a summer of him shooting jumpers.

He’s already shown that’s his ceiling is way beyond what Jarvis’ was.

Last edited:

Hyperbole aside, JOJ has been our most improved freshman this season, he works hard, seemingly willing to do some old school Big Ten lunch bucket work in the paint and he hustles.

There’s potential to be worked with for a coaching staff, I hope ours can tap into his.

Go Gophers!!

This team is bad. They aren’t fun to watch. They’re outmanned, and I’m more inclined daily to say outcoached, every time they hit the court. If we have a future star on the court, I feel comfortable saying it is JOJ. Not saying it’s a lock. I like his game and it is getting better. Yeah, I could go Garcia, but he’s not on the court and seems somewhat disinterested half the time. Hell, I probably don’t blame him. I think that’s a fair opinion.

a star....no way
a solid consistant role player....heck yeah

if he stays...............................😬

a star....no way
a solid consistant role player....heck yeah

if he stays...............................😬
I think the three MN guys give it another year as their locals and Henley and Evans are best buds. These guys also know that Evsns and Christie are legit players.

This is a painful team to follow because of the losses.

And yet it's great to watch the progress of these guys.

Over on the women's basketball side, Rose Micheaux last season flashed as freshman in the post but didn't play well enough to get lots of minutes, and she fowled. Well this sophomore season she has made a huge leap upward and possibly the most improved player in the Big Ten. The change from freshman to sophomore can be substantial.

Really what we are seeing from JOJ is ahead of schedule already. The future is bright.

Gophers will be strong at forward next season, very strong.

Over on the women's basketball side, Rose Micheaux last season flashed as freshman in the post but didn't play well enough to get lots of minutes, and she fowled. Well this sophomore season she has made a huge leap upward and possibly the most improved player in the Big Ten. The change from freshman to sophomore can be substantial.

Really what we are seeing from JOJ is ahead of schedule already. The future is bright.

and what we have seen from the other 3 freshman has been behind schedule..........

doesnt matter how strong they are at forward next year....if they dont find a legit leader at PG, a solid back up point guard, and if 1 of Christie, Henley, Carrington cant take the reins at SG it will be another lost season

Who is your starting front line? Of these 8- Ihnen, Evans, Fox, Payne, Garcia, Battle, Ola Joseph, TT- who mans the 4 and 5 spots? Is there a 3 in that group?

100%, but they're not fun to watch on a game to game basis because they rarely try to take the ball to hole, they never hit an entry to a good post up, and they end up consistently settling for 3's. Now, they may not take the ball to hole due to lack of quickness, etc. but they have their chances and they don't trust themselves to turn the corner when they've got a guy beaten. Not often, I get it, but it's occurred and it drives me crazy. Got a guy out of position? Hammer down and draw a foul! They have a guy who finally posts up with good position and we don't feed it. Zero trust. Crazy as it seems, this opens up the midrange-outside shot. They run cutters to the basket finally, but never hit him. And then there's the free throws. Just a hard to watch team.

and what we have seen from the other 3 freshman has been behind schedule..........

doesnt matter how strong they are at forward next year....if they dont find a legit leader at PG, a solid back up point guard, and if 1 of Christie, Henley, Carrington cant take the reins at SG it will be another lost season
You can assume that it won’t work out or the converse, that bit will.

A three? maybe Joseph . Battle looks like a stretch four and it may be hard to find a position for him to guard.

Who is your starting front line? Of these 8- Ihnen, Evans, Fox, Payne, Garcia, Battle, Ola Joseph, TT- who mans the 4 and 5 spots? Is there a 3 in that group?
Garcia, Battle, JOJ
Evans, Garcia, Battle
Evans, Battle, JOJ
Payne, Garcia, Battle
Payne, Battle, JOJ

we have tons of options to throw out there on the front court with these 5.
if you can get anything from Fox, Ihnen, or TT is all gravy (if any of them stay)

Betts is probably our most SF type we have.
Ihnen proved when he played that he was not a guard or a wing and he was a 4 man
Garcias best position is the 4 spot
Battle's best position is the 4 spot
JOJ's best position is the 4 spot
Fox best position is the 4 spot

lots on hear believe in positionless basketball but this gophers team this year is proving that while its fun to say, its hard to actually make that a reality. and we will be in the same spot next year as well in that we will be asking guys to play at spots where they arent 100% comfortable. But with a full season of doing that with Garcia, Battle, & JOJ this year hopefully that is such a tough task for them next year

Hyperbole aside, JOJ has been our most improved freshman this season, he works hard, seemingly willing to do some old school Big Ten lunch bucket work in the paint and he hustles.

There’s potential to be worked with for a coaching staff, I hope ours can tap into his.

Go Gophers!!
Agreed. Overall, his game is improving in many facets. He's the best of the fr.

Still makes mistakes, but who on this team doesn't? I hope he sticks with MN.

100%, but they're not fun to watch on a game to game basis because they rarely try to take the ball to hole, they never hit an entry to a good post up, and they end up consistently settling for 3's. Now, they may not take the ball to hole due to lack of quickness, etc. but they have their chances and they don't trust themselves to turn the corner when they've got a guy beaten. Not often, I get it, but it's occurred and it drives me crazy. Got a guy out of position? Hammer down and draw a foul! They have a guy who finally posts up with good position and we don't feed it. Zero trust. Crazy as it seems, this opens up the midrange-outside shot. They run cutters to the basket finally, but never hit him. And then there's the free throws. Just a hard to watch team.
The offense is designed for having two or three speedy guys on the perimeter who can beat you off the dribble with an initial pick from the big. When they do that, the big rolls and gets fed if the drive draws a crowd. But we never do that because we only have one guy who can do that. It's Henley and he isn't making shots and has a loose handle. I still believe in his future though. A 6-7 kid with quicks that can drive is worth working with.

The offense is designed for having two or three speedy guys on the perimeter who can beat you off the dribble with an initial pick from the big. When they do that, the big rolls and gets fed if the drive draws a crowd. But we never do that because we only have one guy who can do that. It's Henley and he isn't making shots and has a loose handle. I still believe in his future though. A 6-7 kid with quicks that can drive is worth working with.
I agree but we never feed the roll when it's open. Payne posts up his man A LOT and is never fed. What he does with it is another story, but this opens up the entry passer for more shooting on the move or spotting up in your inside-out game. I see the Gophers trying to run something, but never finishing when they have finishing options. Very frustrating as a viewing fan. I agree with you on Henley. I'm not nearly as down on his game as others. I think we have really workable pieces, and it seems as if there are more on the way. I hope results come.

I agree but we never feed the roll when it's open. Payne posts up his man A LOT and is never fed. What he does with it is another story, but this opens up the entry passer for more shooting on the move or spotting up in your inside-out game. I see the Gophers trying to run something, but never finishing when they have finishing options. Very frustrating as a viewing fan. I agree with you on Henley. I'm not nearly as down on his game as others. I think we have really workable pieces, and it seems as if there are more on the way. I hope results come.
my wife has had to ask me to relax on a number of occasions when i yell at the TV to throw him the dang ball!

but i will tell ya....Payne needs lots of coaching on both just simply catching/recieving the ball in the post and when he cuts down, and what to actually do with the ball once he does in fact get it

This season team is both lopsided in some areas and barrel in others. The team doesn't have a slasher or a consistent wing/SG 12+ points a game producer. And then the team has an excess of forwards. Garcia is the best player and then how do you deploy everyone.

My view is a bit controversial because I think of substitution variations and how to get minutes to the best players. The 6th man and 7th and 8th are real important and you scheme different looks tonyse them.

Next season -- my focus -- you hope the team can get just one good player via the transfer portal and that is a point guard. So then that person and Cooper have those minutes covered.

Carrington, Henley and Cristie are the SG and wing. This may not pan out. Those minutes covered.

And then I think of the center and power forward as a group with Evans and Payne both starting - yes I said that - and JOJ the "6th man."

Garcia at small forward.

Battle is the "6th man" shifting between small forward and power forward.

Each new variation of substitutes gives different looks.

The team sinks if Henley, Christie, Carrington do not pan out. Henley has the quickness to be a slasher and showed in the past he can score on the wing. Need to learn, this whole group, how to get separation.

Would be really nice to have a point guard that can defend and slash inside.

One rule lots if coaches have to go by is to scheme around the players you have. College is not like the NBA where positions are usually filled.

This odd team construction takes creative use of players and different looks.

And yes put Evans at center from day 1. Payne starting at power forward.

my wife has had to ask me to relax on a number of occasions when i yell at the TV to throw him the dang ball!

but i will tell ya....Payne needs lots of coaching on both just simply catching/recieving the ball in the post and when he cuts down, and what to actually do with the ball once he does in fact get it
Put the ball on the floor seems to be his go to. With Evans it’s essential Payne develops a half decent mid range shot The two of them could make a physically imposing front line. I hope Betts has more skills than Henley Not since Rico Tucker have we had a player more out of control than Henley.

Put the ball on the floor seems to be his go to. With Evans it’s essential Payne develops a half decent mid range shot The two of them could make a physically imposing front line. I hope Betts has more skills than Henley Not since Rico Tucker have we had a player more out of control than Henley.
Rico lives!

This season team is both lopsided in some areas and barrel in others. The team doesn't have a slasher or a consistent wing/SG 12+ points a game producer. And then the team has an excess of forwards. Garcia is the best player and then how do you deploy everyone.

My view is a bit controversial because I think of substitution variations and how to get minutes to the best players. The 6th man and 7th and 8th are real important and you scheme different looks tonyse them.

Next season -- my focus -- you hope the team can get just one good player via the transfer portal and that is a point guard. So then that person and Cooper have those minutes covered.

Carrington, Henley and Cristie are the SG and wing. This may not pan out. Those minutes covered.

And then I think of the center and power forward as a group with Evans and Payne both starting - yes I said that - and JOJ the "6th man."

Garcia at small forward.

Battle is the "6th man" shifting between small forward and power forward.

Each new variation of substitutes gives different looks.

The team sinks if Henley, Christie, Carrington do not pan out. Henley has the quickness to be a slasher and showed in the past he can score on the wing. Need to learn, this whole group, how to get separation.

Would be really nice to have a point guard that can defend and slash inside.

One rule lots if coaches have to go by is to scheme around the players you have. College is not like the NBA where positions are usually filled.

This odd team construction takes creative use of players and different looks.

And yes put Evans at center from day 1. Payne starting at power forward.

Garcia as a 3 is legit insanity. Evans and Payne together????

WHAT IN THE FU CK

Garcia as a 3 is legit insanity. Evans and Payne together????

WHAT IN THE FU CK
Evans and Payne will play together at times Garcia can’t play the three ,doubt Battle can effectively either. Since Ihnen can play point maybe he can play the three.

Evans and Payne will play together at times Garcia can’t play the three ,doubt Battle can effectively either.

Evans and Payne can only play together if one of them can hit some sort of jump shot. So right now I say no chance, but we will see on development there.

The Garcia at SF comment was literally one of the worst sports takes Ive ever heard. Every team in the country would clear out and let their 3 go to work on offense

A chain reaction.

Both Evans and Payne will be playing and I think starting at the same time in Minnesota the next two seasons At least. Strong in the paint. I double down on that.

I said my view is controversial.

Garcia is a dynamite player for creative use. Or maybe he leaves the team for richer pastures.

Top Bottom