JOSHUA OLA-JOSEPH A GOPHER!!

I just watched a few of his mix-taps on youtube...is it me or does it seem like he moves i slow motion (not good for big ten) and has a really loose handle?
I’m sure Clemson , Texas AM and Loyola “ felt slow motion “ wasn’t an issue of course they aren’t in the Big Ten and aren’t playing good schedules.

I just watched a few of his mix-taps on youtube...is it me or does it seem like he moves in slow motion (not good for big ten) and has a really loose handle?
Doesn't seem slow to me. He could tighten up his handle, but he's still in high school and not a guard, so I'm not too worried about that. He looks explosive and can shoot, so I'm optimistic about his potential. Judging by your name, I'm sure you disagree.

I just watched a few of his mix-taps on youtube...is it me or does it seem like he moves in slow motion (not good for big ten) and has a really loose handle?
Slow motion? na hes a big time athlete, explosive dude. Loose handles? absolutely something he needs to work on and why i think hes a 4, not a wing.

He actually reminds me of a Murphy that can shoot and dribble it a bit while facing the basket. I don't know if he has that Murphy motor, though. The highlight reels aren't good for assessing that.

These players could barely make the team at NDSU. They're all unranked on 247. Bet St. Thomas is pissed we are taking all of their players.

Ha. Some of you are hilarious.

Pitino went for the big dogs and whiffed, and people complained that he neglected the next tier. Now, BJ comes in, understands that he needs to build with a core of the next tier players, and actually has been successful so far in doing so, and now he is getting ripped by some. I think this is the correct way to build a foundation that will establish the identity that he wants, and now it is on him to coach the players he brings in. This foundation will be what determines whether he is able to bring in some of the top tier players in the future.

These players could barely make the team at NDSU. They're all unranked on 247. Bet St. Thomas is pissed we are taking all of their players.
These guys played all summer against the best competition in the world and held their own. Go to the Kentucky board if you want to discuss top 5* players being recruited.

The obsession-level by some on GH about player rankings is ridiculous. Easy to see who watches very few college basketball games outside of MN on this site.
As soon as they update the rankings and our commits move up a lot, they suddenly won’t care about rankings anymore and will find some other reason to complain.

The obsession-level by some on GH about player rankings is ridiculous. Easy to see who watches very few college basketball games outside of MN on this site.
The strange thing is that the people most obsessed with player rankings also don't seem to understand how they work. Look at the dip shi!t who just posted, he is pissed about the rankings yet really believes guys like Payne are "rated" worse than NDSU level recruits.

I think he is such a good athlete that he is doing things he likely won't be asked to do in the college game. I don't expect him to be handling the ball nearly as much in college as he does in HS. I see him more in the 3/4 mode and hopefully he can be a player kind of like Rodney Williams (I don't think he'll be quite the athlete but I think he will be a better shooter). He has the athletic profile to be able to defend some wings and post players. He should be able to knock down shots, cut and rebound. If he puts in the right amount of work, I see him more of a stretch 4 type (PJ Tucker, Rodney Covington, etc.).

But yeah, I agree his handle is definitely his biggest area of need.

Slow motion? na hes a big time athlete, explosive dude. Loose handles? absolutely something he needs to work on and why i think hes a 4, not a wing.
Maybe I watched a bad highlight video, but I wouldn't say big time athlete. I'd say tall with really long arms. When someone claims they are an explosive athlete...I think Rico Tucker (ended up being a terrible basketball player...but in regards to athleticism...wow)

He's only 6'6" - if he is a 4 in the big ten...yikes. I would be okay with a run and gun lineup...but people who are 6'6" have to be freak athletes...otherwise they will get lost in the beef of the big ten

Maybe I watched a bad highlight video, but I wouldn't say big time athlete. I'd say tall with really long arms. When someone claims they are an explosive athlete...I think Rico Tucker (ended up being a terrible basketball player...but in regards to athleticism...wow)
If you don't think JOJ profiles as an above average Big Ten athlete...yikes

Where are these new idiot posters coming from?

You should watch some more because hes a big time athlete.

He's only 6'6" - if he is a 4 in the big ten...yikes. I would be okay with a run and gun lineup...but people who are 6'6" have to be freak athletes...otherwise they will get lost in the beef of the big ten

It's as much a mind set as anything, a 6'6" guy can guard a 6'9" guy, Murphy proved it.

Then you don't understand how the game is played today. And that's ok.

B1G plays a little behind the times, but they are past the 80s and 90s. Height is important, but wingspan, strength, and vertical jumps need to be accounted for in height. A strong 6’6 kid with 6’9’ span plus 40” vertical is equal to 6’9 kid with 7’ span and a 25 in vertical.

Ola-Joseph will be athletic enough to guard three's on defense and can play the stretch four, if he's paired with say Jamison Battle who can guard the three or four spot and play the three on offense it can work

"I was never a gopher fan".

From an instate kid... There is your problem minnesota... I give the kid props for saying it and being truthful
That quote raised my eyebrows also, but I saw it as a positive in Johnson's ability to bring Joseph into the fold--this wasn't a kid growing up with dreams of being a Gopher regardless of who the coach was, as we have benefitted from in the past (Treyton Thompson most recently, I believe Oturu also fell into this category?).

All the things we've heard about other MN prep recruits who depart for other pastures existed with Joseph--options at other programs with more recent success, a desire to get away from home state, no ties to Gopher program as a fan growing up--well, except for point #2 they were all there with Joseph, and Johnson sold him on choosing the Gophers.

Jordan Murphy was 6'6" and wasn't necessarily a "freak athlete". Just solidly built and fundamentally sound on the block. He turned out ok in the B1G :p

So we have three types of people who post on here....positive fans who are glass is half full.....fans who have a little more negative mindset but are still good fans.....and those who are trolls and not fans of the program but pretend to be....it's pretty obvious which one you are....

I think JOJ is an above average athlete for sure. He had some pretty nasty dunks ON people. With the right work ethic and coaching JOJ will be a productive Big Ten player.

LosingHope is probably an Iowa/Wisco fan trolling. Just bizarre comments.

Top Bottom