Josh Martin to seek transfer from U

Maybe out in the Northwest part of the country? Washington maybe? Who knows

Gopher's Depth Chart after Martin transfer:

PG: Mathieu, Mason

SG: Hollins, Mason

SF: Morris, Buggs

PF: King, Kanote

C: Walker, Elliason

That's not bad. Looking at a 9 man rotation. That's the number I'd prefer to be at anyways. I honestly never though McNeil offered a whole lot outside depth. Hopefully Buggs can make his suspension obsolete. As for backing up the 4 position, it's pretty clear Martin wasn't getting the job done. So, all this means is that Kanote and Buggs will be seeing significant minutes going forward. Will Kanote and Buggs be able to play these positions in Big 10 play is the only concerning question

And that would have been the concern even if Martin had stayed. Kendall might have gotten more minutes from here on in as Martin looked totally unready to play at this level. Will have zero effect on our record this year. If we have injury problems, the Gophers are screwed anyway.

Down the line, there could be some worries although this could also be an opportunity. One worry, is Richard going to continue squandering scholarships? I'm more perturbed by Lofton than I am by Martin. Second worry, will those freshmen next year be ready and/or will Richard bring in a JUCO or an eligible transfer who is the caliber of a Carlos or a DeAndre? All indications are we're a bubble team this year at best. That could be two non-NCAA years in a row. Miss next year also and disillusionment will really set in. The opportunity is that there is certainly a lot of playing time available for that JUCO. And, if the recruiting class for next year is an indication, it looks like Richard should be able to upgrade over Martin and McNeil with two new recruits.

This program has way too much drama and suspense year after year.

Homesickness amplified by very limited playing time. I bet.

I recall when Melvin Newbern wanted to transfer from the U before the 1989 season, I believe. Clem did everything he could to talk him out of it and eventually did. Worked out pretty well. I wish Coach could have convinced JM to ride out the first year. Josh could have been on the B1G circuit and may have had more minutes come his way later in the year.

If you are reading this JM, good luck!

You think a coach who has spent a year recruiting a player--watching his games, checking his work ethic, and determining whether or not he is fit for a scholarship--would then turn around and encourage that player to leave after 8 games?

How can you seriously believe that? It's absurd

I agree. Totally absurd comment.

Hopefully we get some good news soon, and Gaston gets admitted to the U. At the very least we need him as a practice body.

You're projecting, winny. Please explain how Josh leaving changes Pitino's rotation. Martin was taking up space on the pines. I see nothing underhanded or a jab in Pitino's comment.

It won't effect the rotation, but it will/could significantly effect the team.

You're probably right, as I don't know what question he is answering. However, this response is far from coach speak and far from what this coach had said just a few days ago about being short handed at practice and how depth was effecting the team. I don't think this is the typical response of any coach when he finds out he's got 9 scholarship athletes to work with.

Simply mean this is his recruit. Not someone brought in out of desperation like some of the prior year recruits. If he wasn't cut out to be this far away from home or whatever the reason is, Pitino's first 'real' recruit is a bust 7 games in. Hopefully it's a blip and not a trend.

Well it doesn't appear to be a trend because Mason and Morris are clearly not busts. Martin had a lot of offers so Pitino has plenty of company in guessing wrong. Perhaps this situation and Lofton are manifestations of a minor drawback shared by youthful coaches: they haven't had the experience of collecting as many mental red flags from recruiting.

True and they still lose big games every year. So I'm not in favor of playing ugly crappy and ultimately big game losing Bo Ryan basketball.

When you find a coach who doesn't lose big games, let us know.

per Amelia:

The team seems genuinely surprised by Josh Martin's departure. A couple of the players said the freshman didn't even say goodbye to the team. Joey King, Martin's roommate, said he didn't see it coming. I'm still not sure what happened -- coach Richard Pitino didn't elaborate much -- but it seemed like Martin's former teammates were confused by the decision. The Gophers are not unaware of how this looks. Three guys leaving the team in a little more than a month -- for very different reasons, obviously -- is unexpected and from the outside looks tumultuous. The players say that reflection couldn't be farther from the truth. "I feel like a lot of people might think we're having problems or something within us, but we're fine," DeAndre Mathieu said. "We're still a team, we're still together, guys still love playing for coach."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/blogs/285176141.html

Go Gophers!!

And that would have been the concern even if Martin had stayed. Kendall might have gotten more minutes from here on in as Martin looked totally unready to play at this level. Will have zero effect on our record this year. If we have injury problems, the Gophers are screwed anyway. Down the line, there could be some worries although this could also be an opportunity. One worry, is Richard going to continue squandering scholarships? I'm more perturbed by Lofton than I am by Martin. Second worry, will those freshmen next year be ready and/or will Richard bring in a JUCO or an eligible transfer who is the caliber of a Carlos or a DeAndre? All indications are we're a bubble team this year at best. That could be two non-NCAA years in a row. Miss next year also and disillusionment will really set in. The opportunity is that there is certainly a lot of playing time available for that JUCO. And, if the recruiting class for next year is an indication, it looks like Richard should be able to upgrade over Martin and McNeil with two new recruits. This program has way too much drama and suspense year after year.

Not saying this is necessarily true for us, but ask Coach Cal how much a players class matters? All I'm saying is, there is nothing to say Jarvis, McBrayer, and Dupree won't come on and average 15/game. Likely? Probably not. But I don't agree with the assumption that because they are freshman they automatically won't be good and will take 3 years to develop. Not always the case with some guys. Hopefully we have 3 more Nate Mason's coming in.

per Amelia:

The team seems genuinely surprised by Josh Martin's departure. A couple of the players said the freshman didn't even say goodbye to the team. Joey King, Martin's roommate, said he didn't see it coming. I'm still not sure what happened -- coach Richard Pitino didn't elaborate much -- but it seemed like Martin's former teammates were confused by the decision. The Gophers are not unaware of how this looks. Three guys leaving the team in a little more than a month -- for very different reasons, obviously -- is unexpected and from the outside looks tumultuous. The players say that reflection couldn't be farther from the truth. "I feel like a lot of people might think we're having problems or something within us, but we're fine," DeAndre Mathieu said. "We're still a team, we're still together, guys still love playing for coach."

Go Gophers!!

That's all I need to know right there.

per Amelia:

Go Gophers!!

I don't care why he left, that right there is ridiculous. These are people that believed in you and you just turn your back like that? Hopefully this will be a big life lesson for Martin.

Not saying this is necessarily true for us, but ask Coach Cal how much a players class matters? All I'm saying is, there is nothing to say Jarvis, McBrayer, and Dupree won't come on and average 15/game. Likely? Probably not. But I don't agree with the assumption that because they are freshman they automatically won't be good and will take 3 years to develop. Not always the case with some guys. Hopefully we have 3 more Nate Mason's coming in.

Um, where exactly am I assuming that? And no, we don't need to ask Coach Cal. So far the recruiting is very much hit or miss. Forgive me for being uneasy as much as I love the fact Pitino is here.

per Amelia:

Go Gophers!!

Guy leaves without saying goodbye and even his roommate is surprised...that is something going on in the kids head. Not saying that there weren't contributing factors...but if he isn't talking to his teammates or coaches, then who is he talking too. This smells of an AJ Moms best friend situation where someone got in his head and started telling him he is better than how he is being treated. He deserves more X and he isn't going to get it at MN.

Gotta move forward with the players who want to play here and want to be on this team. See ya Josh, wouldn't want to be ya.

Go Gophers!

Guy leaves without saying goodbye and even his roommate is surprised...that is something going on in the kids head. Not saying that there weren't contributing factors...but if he isn't talking to his teammates or coaches, then who is he talking too. This smells of an AJ Moms best friend situation where someone got in his head and started telling him he is better than how he is being treated. He deserves more X and he isn't going to get it at MN.

Gotta move forward with the players who want to play here and want to be on this team. See ya Josh, wouldn't want to be ya.

Go Gophers!

Exactly what I was thinking. This transfer isn't about the team, it was a very selfish move by Josh Martin. Frankly, he wasn't going to see the floor this year much anyway.
This whole thread is so surprising. I was watching the game last night(hadn't checked the board) and didn't see Josh hit the floor at all and wondered if they decided to RS him.
Nope, he just simply quit.

Go Gophers!
It sounds more to me like some sort of depression.My honest guess is he has depression triggered by the realization he is not as good as he assumed he was.
He then turned inwards rather than talk it through with someone. Top level athletes struggle when they hit a talent wall and realize they are not as good as they thought they were. Some battle through it, others don't.

Where he ends up will be telling. If it is another high major, I would be surprised. My guess is a small school or he never plays again.

Cue Harry Chapin's "Mr. Tanner".

It's so strange because he was so fired up about coming here. He definitely did not appear to lack confidence by some of his tweets and quotes. Too bad, didn't even give it a chance.

Sounds like a mix of the following: Coach doesn't like me. I miss home. It gets cold back home but not like this.

-1 A lot of Bo Ryan's freshmen hardly ever get in the game their freshman year and you rarely see a player transfer out.

Jared Uthoff immediately comes to mind. Would have been a key player for Wiscy this year. I'm sure there are others, like everywhere else.

It sounds more to me like some sort of depression.My honest guess is he has depression triggered by the realization he is not as good as he assumed he was.
He then turned inwards rather than talk it through with someone. Top level athletes struggle when they hit a talent wall and realize they are not as good as they thought they were. Some battle through it, others don't.

Where he ends up will be telling. If it is another high major, I would be surprised. My guess is a small school or he never plays again.

Wouldn't be surprised if he goes Juco out West. He can play right away at a Juco can't he?

Dude. Stop the amateur psychologist routine. Please.

Total speculation, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's experienced depression. I believe the players when they say they're dumbfounded by this. People who've been suffering from depression do things that surprise people around them.

The young man should have been red shirted. In the limited minutes he played you could see he wasn't ready.

Obviously there's still a lot we don't know about why this happened but let me echo those who find this surprising based on his previous interviews and tweets. It seemed like Martin really was excited to be here. Regardless of the reason it's very disappointing.

Yeah, I'm very taken aback. Hopefully this is just homesickness, and not something systemic. Very concerning, though.

So Josh spends three months going to class and then just bolts 2 weeks before he gets credit for a semester of college. Hard to believe that there was something so bad going on that he couldn't tolerate for another 2 weeks. Which would lead me to believe that this is partially academic related along with something going on in his personal life. Or , he is getting some very bad advice from somewhere.

With all the uncertainty around why Josh is leaving, it does unequivocally settle once and for all the great GH debate of when he'll beat out Joey to start at the 4.

Top Bottom