JohnnyGopher: Mbakwe is gone

His stock could definitely rise, and he doesn't have to put up better numbers for that to happen. Right now, he doesn't have a depth of an offensive game, he lacks some post moves and could definitely improve the jumper (has done that already, but could use more consistency). I've said this before, but I'd like to see him develop his left hand in the post. He drew a lot of fouls, but sometimes he could get buckets instead with a left hand. Back to the basket moves aren't his strong suit and that could also definitely hurt his stock. Improving on those things while maybe putting up 15 and 8 would help his stock IMO.

That said, the guy can make money playing basketball next year. He's graduating, he has a family, it's hard to tell him not to make moves on that. I wish him the best whatever decision he makes, while selfishly hoping he makes the decision to come back :)

Although I think Trevor has some qualities that make him an NBA type player, his hands are not one of them. Just because one idiot announcer claimed he has hands like vise grips doesn't mean it is true.

I don't see him making a team for more than a year tops if he can't find a go-to move. He is actually pretty bad down low. He gets his shot blocked a lot. He loses the ball going up a lot. He can't hit easy bunnies with ease. He can't hit free throws at a high %. These things are going to really hurt him unless he improves fast. I hope he does because I like him. I wished he would stay another year but I never actually thought that was a possibilty.

I'm surprised it took so look for someone to write this. I'm a little surprised at how many people think Trevor is above average offensively, even down low. He's an outstanding rebounder and scores most of his points off of put-backs and some ball movement that leaves him with dunks. But give him the ball on the block one-on-one with a defender, and he's pretty average. I think he has an opportunity to increase his stock dramatically if he comes back next year.

Ben Wallace and Dennis Rodman come to mind off the top of my head, and Trevor is undoubtedly better than them offensively right now.

Ridiculous. Rodman averaged 25 ppg in college...which, granted, was NAIA, but still...his offensive game consisted of more than offensive rebound putbacks and blowing past his defender with superior athletic ability.

Rodman is one of the all-time underrated players in league history. It wasn't that he couldn't play offense, it's just that he was an incredibly intelligent basketball player, and he knew what his teams needed from him. He could've been a guy who got 16-17 pts, 10-11 rebs a game, but he knew his fit on the team would be better if he focused on defense and rebounding, and instead was a 8-10 pts, 15-18 rebs a game guy in his prime. He was actually a very solid passer, and could shoot when he put his mind to it. He shot 31% on 3FG one year, and was actually a 23% 3FG shooter over the course of his career. Trevor could spend every waking moment from now until eternity hoisting 3s, and he couldn't hit 23% on 3s from NBA range.

The only similarity they have is that they are/were both good rebounders. The difference is that Rodman was one of the best to ever walk the earth, and Mbakwe was the best in the Big Ten one year. Rodman was one of the best defenders in the history of basketball, and significantly better than Mbakwe at every aspect of basketball that exists. Just a terrible comparison all around.

No surprise. Trevor's history is full of one year stops. IMO, he will end up playing over seas and I can't blame him for that. Bringing in six figures is not too bad of a gig and he can provide for his young daughter which is very important to him.

His profile shows him enrolled in Community Rec. or something like that. Not a lot of earning power there once he gets a degree.

Aside from all that, leaving after this year would be a colossal mistake for his long-term future. He has zero shot at an NBA career if he leaves now, and Europe will still be there after next year. If he stays and develops a more well-rounded offensive game, including actually playing outside of the paint once in a while, he has a chance to eventually be a solid 9th or 10th man in the league. The money he would make next season is not even close to the potential earnings he would realize by staying another year and improving.

Mbakwe can rebound and play defense at an NBA level right now, they will develop his offensive game. It would be a waste of his time to play another year at the U.

Mbakwe can rebound and play defense at an NBA level right now, they will develop his offensive game.

False. Mbakwe can rebound at an NBA level, true, but his defense actually pretty much sucks.

I'm curious about the graduation thing. Is he or isn't he? What's his major? I've worked in college admissions and for someone with his academic history (two transfers) it's very difficult to get a degree in four years, even with summer school. He did graduate from high school in '07, didn't he?

The money he would make next season is not even close to the potential earnings he would realize by staying another year and improving.

You can't say this with any certainty.

The NBA season next year is in jeopardy over labor strife and everyone says thier issues are far worse than the NFL...we don't know if the rookie salary cap will be greatly reduced, loss of guaranteed contracts for first rounders, loss of guaranteed contracts period...we don't know any of that. The league could constrict...several teams are losing money right now. If the NBA is locked out all season, do pros go to Europe to play which would greatly reduce the spots for Mbakwe. Maybe Trevor gets on a team in Europe and makes 6 figures next year and develps his game and comes back in 2-3 years...maybe he blows out his knee next year against SDSU and is done forever...bet that 100k signing bonus in Greece would have looked real nice...huh.

I think Trevor is going to weigh his options and do what is in the best interest of his family...and I wish him the best of luck and success no matter what he decides and thank him for working so hard and playing so hard for us this year. I enjoyed watching him play!

This board is ridiculous these days with the hate. If I'm Trevor and listening to you all self proclaimed experts, I'm not sure what to do. Guarendamnteed not one of you has any clue whether or not he can or can not play at the next level.

If he is gone and I wish him well. He had a tough run here overall at the U and if you all are the fans of the program (negative ones) why come back? The fans? He will go over seas like a lot of guys and get paid and have fun and in a few years he'll have to figure out a career. He'll just do it while getting paid nice money.

In the meantime, a lot of the negative posters on this board will continue with their menial lives while living vicariously through people who are successful in basketball.

Sid mentioned in his article that Tubby had 2 scholarships available and not just one...whether that is due to Trevor, RS III or Williams, no idea, but something is up with at least one player.

I don't think Trevor knows what he's going to do. I think he'll test the waters, but to say that he's 100% gone is stretching it.

Since he does not have an agent, he probably is testing his draft value. I believe I read somewhere a year or two ago that Tubby actually does encourage his players to see what their draft and pro eval are in their Jr. years. It helps them understand what they need to work on to get ready and I believe it also encourages them to play better since they are going to be motivated to play better so their draft status will improve.

Marcus tweet.

GophersNow PiPress Gophers Now
I talked to one college basketball analyst who thought the Gophers are really going to be bad next season if Mbakwe doesn't come back.

The analyst was saying he doesn't see anyone on current roster becoming a star next season to carry them. Somebody has make a jump, right.

Williams says he'll be back for sure, he's going to work hard this offseason and he wants to be that guy. But odds are stacked against him.

Sampson says he'll probably declare for draft and see what teams think of him, and that might motivate him to be a better player. We'll see.

He's not hiring an agent. thus he can evaluate and come back to school (which is all but certain to happen). Tollackson, DJ and Westbrook, did the same thing. I don't know why we're harping on this topic any more than we should.

curious about how much mbakwe's feet will affect his nba draft stock regardless of the numbers he has put up this year - he is quite pigeon-toed.

Losing TM no doubt will hurt. But, I don't think it will hurt us as much as some people including the analyst mentioned by Marcus think. It is not like we have nobody in the position. Mo will be back. Ralph will have to dig deeper. Iverson got lost in the last 11 games or so. People say that he regressed. He just didn't make the adjustment well. Add one more guy and we still will have a decent frontcourt.

Yeah, I really, really respect JG on this, but everything I've heard, from people I trust, is that he's probably going to be back next year. Again, I'm sure JG has better sources than I do, but I still don't believe he'll be gone.

I'm curious about the graduation thing. Is he or isn't he? What's his major? I've worked in college admissions and for someone with his academic history (two transfers) it's very difficult to get a degree in four years, even with summer school. He did graduate from high school in '07, didn't he?

I was completly wondering the same thing. I was lucky enough to play against Trevor and graduate the same year he did. My friends who have gone his path, ie. transferring several times, all need another year. I'm still confused how he is still on track to graduate on time. I do agree that he could still expand his game by staying at the U. For him and for us, I hope he stays.

Both Ben Wallace and Rodman were incredible defensive players!!!! It also took both of them years before they became stars in the NBA. Who would he beat out on the Timberwolves, who are one of the worst teams in the league?!?!?! No one!!!

Agree 100% - Wallace and Rodman were dominat defenders, and while Mbakwe is not a horrible defender, he is not close to their levels.

This isnt new or strange.

Tubby has told members of his teams in the past to test the waters. If I recall Dan Coleman put his name in the draft and then pulled it out because he wasnt rated high enough. It was a ploy to get more attention from NBA Scouts and be seen nothing more. It wouldnt shock me at all if Mbakwe and Sampson enter their names in the draft see where they would be ranked and then pull themselves out. Mbakwe's age is going to hurt him no matter when he comes out but with a family I can see why leaving makes sense for him. If they leave they leave we move on its college sports it happens all the time.

Tubby has told members of his teams in the past to test the waters. If I recall Dan Coleman put his name in the draft and then pulled it out because he wasnt rated high enough. It was a ploy to get more attention from NBA Scouts and be seen nothing more. It wouldnt shock me at all if Mbakwe and Sampson enter their names in the draft see where they would be ranked and then pull themselves out. Mbakwe's age is going to hurt him no matter when he comes out but with a family I can see why leaving makes sense for him. If they leave they leave we move on its college sports it happens all the time.

Tollackson put his name in as well. I remember laughing when I saw that.

Williams says he'll be back for sure, he's going to work hard this offseason and he wants to be that guy. But odds are stacked against him.

Odds are stacked against him? I don't even know what that means. Rodney Williams has the ability to be a star player.

Disagree. Trevor's game isn't fit for Europe as he isn't a consistent face up big man. Many of the successful Forwards in Europe are those type of players.

He likely would end up in Russiaor China considering their basketball is the most similar to our basketball and it allows for good rebounders to flourish. He also will at the very least have a chance in the NBDL.

Very true. I thought about that yesterday when he kept being blocked by less athletic white players in NU team. How could he survive in EU?

I wish him nothing but the best.

Go Gophers

Say listen, I want Trveor back in the worst way. I think he will make money in basketball someday, very possibly in the NBA. Maybe even next year if he chooses that route. Here is the deal though...I just watched my nephew finish his high school career. He had an awesome two month stretch where he averaged between 17 and 18 points. After they lost in sections, I realized that even if he plays in college, it will probably never be the same. When you are a star on the team, it is a pretty fun ride that I can't imagine how incredible it would be at the major college level. Trevor has a chance to do that for the Gophers next season. He has the chance to be the Big Ten player of the year. Being the 6th man in Europe or sitting on the end of the bench in the NBA will always be there for him, but he has only one chance to experience what he could for the Gophers next season. I hope he comes back, because if everything falls into place, he could have a pretty glorious year next season. A type of year so many people dream about, but few get to experience. Pro basketball will be there for him after next year if he stays in school. He won't have another chance to have the college experience he could have if he goes pro.

Say listen, I want Trveor back in the worst way. I think he will make money in basketball someday, very possibly in the NBA. Maybe even next year if he chooses that route. Here is the deal though...I just watched my nephew finish his high school career. He had an awesome two month stretch where he averaged between 17 and 18 points. After they lost in sections, I realized that even if he plays in college, it will probably never be the same. When you are a star on the team, it is a pretty fun ride that I can't imagine how incredible it would be at the major college level. Trevor has a chance to do that for the Gophers next season. He has the chance to be the Big Ten player of the year. Being the 6th man in Europe or sitting on the end of the bench in the NBA will always be there for him, but he has only one chance to experience what he could for the Gophers next season. I hope he comes back, because if everything falls into place, he could have a pretty glorious year next season. A type of year so many people dream about, but few get to experience. Pro basketball will be there for him after next year if he stays in school. He won't have another chance to have the college experience he could have if he goes pro.

Very good point, I completely agree. Trevor deservs a NCAA Tourny run and I think we can do that if he comes back. I also think he's pretty much a lock for first team All-Big Ten if he comes back. I really hope he stays. He'll be even more of a fan favorite than he was this year.

Top Bottom